E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #2401
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I know for red light tickets where I work, we need an image of the driver too. you may be able to argue that you weren't behind the wheel... and since the citation for a moving violation goes to the driver, not the vehicle, not sure how they could charge you.
yea but it goes to the original owner of the vehicle. And i just contacted them, they showed me a video clip of me clearly running the Stop sign at very low speeds.

so i guess im screwed on this one.

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #2402
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Zhp View Post
yea but it goes to the original owner of the vehicle. And i just contacted them, they showed me a video clip of me clearly running the Stop sign at very low speeds.

Oh yeah, if its you on video, you're done. I know it goes to the registered owner, but if they can't I.D. the driver, the cite is no good. Looks like one of those you need to pay and move on...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #2403
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
Quote:
Oh yeah, if its you on video, you're done. I know it goes to the registered owner, but if they can't I.D. the driver, the cite is no good. Looks like one of those you need to pay and move on...
yea thanks anyways.

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #2404
bigali88

My Ride: peforMance car
Quote:
I've never seen a fine reduced by a judge...sorry to say you're probably stuck at the price already quoted...
Thanks for the input, but I thought that sometimes if you go in person the judge might reduce the fee. Also, they are charging 52 dollars for traffic school, but I heard it is usually around 30 dollars. Sincce I wasn't going too fast and it is my first ticket do you think it is possible to get it reduced under 100 dollars.

Im the king Biatchess!!!
bigali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #2405
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigali88 View Post
Thanks for the input, but I thought that sometimes if you go in person the judge might reduce the fee. Also, they are charging 52 dollars for traffic school, but I heard it is usually around 30 dollars. Sincce I wasn't going too fast and it is my first ticket do you think it is possible to get it reduced under 100 dollars.
I haven't seen this in the past in my experience...I think Frobie has previously said the same thing. I've seen payment plans and even community service in lieu of payment, but that's it...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #2406
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
I haven't seen this in the past in my experience...I think Frobie has previously said the same thing. I've seen payment plans and even community service in lieu of payment, but that's it...
Yup, not going to reduce the fine. They might wave penalty assessments and court fees. But the only time I've seen that done (only once) was on a $1000+ ticket. Even then it was reduced to the lowest amount applicable according to the Vehicle Code.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #2407
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
when is a good time to rescheadule a court date? mine is on the 14th on jan and the 16th. i wanna push it back once. then fight it.

should i do it close to the date? orrr tomorrw? lol
Call whenever to reschedule it. Don't wait until after the court date...

Thank you Sam
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #2408
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Zhp View Post

It's only a civil penalty. Says so at the bottom of the ticket. If you pay the fine you won't get points on your record.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #2409
D0n Raja

My Ride: 330ci 04
Got a few things:
First, I've heard you can reduce any speeding/trafic ticket by doing community service instead of paying the fee, 10 dollars per hour....

Second, If an office requests for my ID on the street, at random do I have to show it to him in the state of CA? I know some states say you dont have to...

Third,
GOod Video about your rights I was watching, If you cops have time to look at it tell me what you think...it's kind of lenghty...by ACLU

Also, can a officer actually call in drug dogs to check ur car if he has no tangible evidence, in plain sight, just to "check" your car cuz he has a hunch
D0n Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #2410
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0n Raja View Post
Got a few things:
First, I've heard you can reduce any speeding/trafic ticket by doing community service instead of paying the fee, 10 dollars per hour....

Second, If an office requests for my ID on the street, at random do I have to show it to him in the state of CA? I know some states say you dont have to...

Third,
GOod Video about your rights I was watching, If you cops have time to look at it tell me what you think...it's kind of lenghty...by ACLU

Also, can a officer actually call in drug dogs to check ur car if he has no tangible evidence, in plain sight, just to "check" your car cuz he has a hunch
I don't know the exchange rate for fines to labor.

You are required by CA law to carry identification. If not, I can take you to the station and hold you for up to 2 hours while I work to identify you

Not time for the video, I'll check it out when I have time

As long as the stop doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time for the officer to complete their investigation, they can have a drug dog come sniff your car

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #2411
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I knew it!

http://www.king5.com/localnews/inves....36381160.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #2412
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
Just like at your job, we need to show we're being productive and need to bring in money for the boss. Warnings don't show I'm being productive and don't help cover the city's/county's bills...in the end, it's much like a private sector business even though its a government agency.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2413
ItalianSaint

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Just like at your job, we need to show we're being productive and need to bring in money for the boss. Warnings don't show I'm being productive and don't help cover the city's/county's bills...in the end, it's much like a private sector business even though its a government agency.
Shouldn't be though. IMO.

"Just another freak in the freak kingdom." -HST
ItalianSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #2414
frobie15

Quote:
If it stopped at expecting 80% of the contacts to lead to citations, then I would have no problem with it. But saying that they have to contact a certain number of people is just flat wrong. In California we have laws making quotas illegal. I guess you don't in Washington. I like the idea of rewarding officers who work harder. But you need to make sure that it's not just for a number of tickets, but rather a percentage of tickets from contacts.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #2415
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0n Raja View Post
Third,
No time for the video right now. But if the ACLU made it, it probably sucks

Thank you Sam
Old 01-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #2416
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Sorry for the late reply....

Quote:
Here! Yeah, we're a little sneaky. Curious as to how he searched you unless you gave consent.
Asked & answered! Or should I say "answered & then asked"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but saying: "Do you have anything on you that I should know about?" & then following that up with "Do you have anything in the car that I should know about?" .... That's not asking for consent? Is it?

That is being "sneaky" again, isn't it?

Do some Cops seriously ever ask for consent anymore?
Unless they have a search warrant to slap in somebody's face that is!

Some cops get sort of "sneaky" about searches too... You know that the average person has no clue that an officer MUST ask for consent. But by asking "do you have anything on you/in your car that I should know about?", the officer is skipping over the "can I/do you mind if I search..." Thereby putting the driver (or the "suspect" as far as they're concerned) in a spot where if he/she says "no, I don't have anything" then the officer assumes that "consent" has been given... & they go ahead & search.

Otherwise, If the driver says "you don't have consent" then it may suggest that the driver is hiding something... & the officer will still go ahead & search.... or call K9.

I don't mean any disrespect by any of this but honestly, some of the stops/searches/investigation that some cops do are based on a "guilty until proven innocent" premise as opposed to the "innocent until proven guilty" right which is guaranteed by the constitution of this country.

"Tell it to the judge" is another example of that too...

So did he ask me for consent to search? Nope, not specifically.
Did he search me & my car? Yes.
Did he find anything? Nope!
Considering the fact that the scope of this incident ended up only involving one out of two license plate lights being out, & resulted in a simple "correctable violation" (which is questionable to begin with (as Frobie has suggested))... will a traffic court Commissioner (not even a judge) allow me to discuss the legality of the stop or whether a search of my person or of my car was justified or not or whether consent for that search properly requested or not, properly given or not?

He!! No! In traffic court, I"m only allowed to say a specific set of phrases: "guilty", "not guilty", "no contest" or "I corrected the violation".

So another questionable stop, another questionable search & a subsequent questionable citation go unquestioned/unpunished... Actually, I was punished. Still... I'll pay my $10 correction fee l I'll be on my way!

Sorry for the long post. I hope that answers your question!

Last edited by Speeder; 01-13-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #2417
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
But the point was to make roads safer and lower the fatality rates....its done the opposite.

I wouldnt mind so much, if they had to site a certain percentage of people they pull over, sure. But the fact that they are expected to pull over and site a certain number of people during each shift...thats pushing it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
If it stopped at expecting 80% of the contacts to lead to citations, then I would have no problem with it. But saying that they have to contact a certain number of people is just flat wrong. In California we have laws making quotas illegal. I guess you don't in Washington. I like the idea of rewarding officers who work harder. But you need to make sure that it's not just for a number of tickets, but rather a percentage of tickets from contacts.
Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #2418
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Sorry for the late reply....

Asked & answered! Or should I say "answered & then asked"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but saying: "Do you have anything on you that I should know about?" & then following that up with "Do you have anything in the car that I should know about?" .... That's not asking for consent? Is it?

So did he ask me for consent to search? Nope, not specifically.
Did he search me & my car? Yes.
Did he find anything? Nope!
Considering the fact that the scope of this incident ended up only involving one out of two license plate lights being out, & resulted in a simple "correctable violation" (which is questionable to begin with (as Frobie has suggested))... will a traffic court Commissioner (not even a judge) allow me to discuss the legality of the stop or whether a search of my person or of my car was justified or not or whether consent for that search properly requested or not, properly given or not?

He!! No! In traffic court, I"m only allowed to say a specific set of phrases: "guilty", "not guilty", "no contest" or "I corrected the violation".

Didn't mean to cut down any of the content of your post, but didn't want the reply to take a whole page...

Anyhow, your last mention about what you can say in court is true. The bottom line is that the search would have become an issue if he had found something. Since he didn't, and the citation wasn't related to the search, there isn't really anything for you to do about it in court. You can always file a formal complaint with his department.

Now, asking whether someone has something illegal, or something they shouldn't have in their vehicle or on their person is not a solicitation for consent. Oddly enough, many people will say yes, which now gives me probable cause, but if they say no, my follow up question is "well then you wouldn't mind if I check, right?" If they say yes, I do mind, I don't get to search.

However, it is very, very easy to search a car just based on my observations and my ability to articulate my search. In fact, although I get consent 99% of the time, there are very few circumstances in which someone doesn't want to consent that I can't get into a car.

I obviously don't want to reveal too much info about how we do things, but we have something that essentially boils down to a flow chart about how to legally search a car (whether cursory search, inventory search, or a full search for contraband).

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #2419
OHCM3

Quote:
But the point was to make roads safer and lower the fatality rates....its done the opposite.

I wouldnt mind so much, if they had to site a certain percentage of people they pull over, sure. But the fact that they are expected to pull over and site a certain number of people during each shift...thats pushing it IMO.

You know what, I agree with you 100%. My first post on this topic sort of oversimplified things I think. I said flat out that its a business, and that's why cites are issued as they are. While that is certainly an aspect of it, you are correct that citations are meant to correct behaviors and to levy fines to those that are dangerous or increasing the chances for colissions.

Having a certain number of people to cite during a shift is 100% a quota, no question, and it shouldn't be allowed.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #2420
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
Had a queston fellas. I got a ticket for driving my Camry and I didint notice my brother didint register it. The plates were expired. He recently registered the car. My question is, this is a fix a ticket right? Can I just go to the station and show them that it now has the current tag? Do I have to go on my court date in Mid Feb. if they write it off? TIA!

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa