E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #2441
hbballer3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 11
My Ride: 2001 330i
Wow, two weeks worth of reading at work finally through all 123 pages. I have two questions that didnt come up, maybe there common knowledge...

1: If you are at a red light, is it illegal to take your foot off the brake and just sit there in neutral? I understand the cons to this as someone might not realize you are stopped since they dont see brakelights, but its different if a car is behind you.

2: if you make a right hand turn onto a street is it illegal to go to the farthest outside lane? Or do you have to turn into the closest lane?

Thanks Frobie for starting this and thanks to OHCM3 and Speeder for getting in on the action. You guys have answered a lot of questions.
hbballer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #2442
bimmerboi43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: nor cal
Posts: 225
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
stupid question... what are the consequences of bribing an officer ?
if pulled over... would jokingly saying something like.. would X amount of money
make this a better situation for both of us? be considered bribing an officer?
would it ever work btw ? thanks.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #2443
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsh90 View Post
probably a dumb question but, are there cameras that get you for turning right on red? i got flashed the other night but didn't see any sign saying that i couldn't turn
You have to stop before making a right hand turn on a red. Typically those only acivate if you are going over a certain speed (where i work, I think its 25 mph)
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #2444
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbballer3 View Post
Wow, two weeks worth of reading at work finally through all 123 pages. I have two questions that didnt come up, maybe there common knowledge...

1: If you are at a red light, is it illegal to take your foot off the brake and just sit there in neutral? I understand the cons to this as someone might not realize you are stopped since they dont see brakelights, but its different if a car is behind you.

2: if you make a right hand turn onto a street is it illegal to go to the farthest outside lane? Or do you have to turn into the closest lane?

Thanks Frobie for starting this and thanks to OHCM3 and Speeder for getting in on the action. You guys have answered a lot of questions.

1. No problem with this...Although like you said, someone may not see you're stopped and, if there is a chain reaction crash behind you and you get bumped, you'll go straight into oncoming traffic if you don't have your brake down. Not illegal though.

2. Don't believe the penal code specifically says this, but if there are other cars on the road, or you cross into a median or oncoming lanes, I could articulate citing you for an unsafe right hand turn.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #2445
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
stupid question... what are the consequences of bribing an officer ?
if pulled over... would jokingly saying something like.. would X amount of money
make this a better situation for both of us? be considered bribing an officer?
would it ever work btw ? thanks.
felony...there are bad apples out there, but you have a much better chance of finding one of the good ones that would take you to jail. When people have made inferences to me about favors or $$, I warn them once, if they were to mention it again, they get to see my back seat.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #2446
ckim2116
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: california
Posts: 160
My Ride: 2002 330ci
I'm having a problem with my smog check. I'm not really sure about the smog laws in California, and a google search didn't turn up anything concrete. I have a GruppeM intake and an RE DMS exhaust, and the shop wouldn't check me. What would I need to do to get the smog done? I'm thinking I just need to switch the intake back to the stock airbox since I still have my cats; am I wrong?
ckim2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #2447
destroyer427
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 246
My Ride: 2000 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbballer3 View Post
2: if you make a right hand turn onto a street is it illegal to go to the farthest outside lane? Or do you have to turn into the closest lane?
Several years ago in MN, my friend and I were pulled over because of pulling into the 2nd lane instead of closest (but mostly because of driving away from a crazy party) which then resulted in a curfew violation, nothing about the turn was on the ticket however
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #2448
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb View Post
I ended up sucking it up and paying the $380 for the ticket plus $39 for traffic school......
It's just not your day when a cop is in the left turn lane as you run a red light.
It could have been a much worse day/week/month/year/life if you crashed into somebody or somebody crashed into you.

Count your blessings & pay that $400+ with a smile on your face. Many would pay multiples of that to get out of a wheel chair or to go back in time & do it over again....

Last edited by Speeder; 01-24-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #2449
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbballer3 View Post
2: if you make a right hand turn onto a street is it illegal to go to the farthest outside lane? Or do you have to turn into the closest lane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
2. Don't believe the penal code specifically says this, but if there are other cars on the road, or you cross into a median or oncoming lanes, I could articulate citing you for an unsafe right hand turn.
22100(a) of the Vehicle Code prohibits it. It says, basically, the approach and turn itself must be made as close a practicable to the right hand curb.

It's a great reason to stop someone if you're looking for a drunk!
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #2450
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim2116 View Post
I'm having a problem with my smog check. I'm not really sure about the smog laws in California, and a google search didn't turn up anything concrete. I have a GruppeM intake and an RE DMS exhaust, and the shop wouldn't check me. What would I need to do to get the smog done? I'm thinking I just need to switch the intake back to the stock airbox since I still have my cats; am I wrong?
That should be all you need to do. You could always go back to the shop, talk to the smog tech, and ask him (or her I suppose) what you need to do.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #2451
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
It could have been a much worse day/week/month/year/life if you crashed into somebody or somebody crashed into you.

Count your blessings & pay that $400+ with a smile on your face. Many would pay multiples of that to get out of a wheel chair or to go back in time & do it over again....
Turns out you CAN put a price on life..... or at least the quality of it.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #2452
k2pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 340
My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
hate to ask a question im sure has been asked before but it's tough to filter through this post(though i do recall seeing the answer im looking for); i got a ticket the other day for running a stop sign (i live and drive in the boonies) and the cop would have let me off but i was going too fast for him not to.. i was going about 25, he was nice and everything but none the less wrote me a ticket, will this put a point on my record? i last had traffic school less then 18 months ago and even still i believe it is at the judge's discretion as to whether or not to issue it, yes? my hope is that i can delay the court date until i get past 18 months from initial issue, and my only plan there was to do a written decleration... and hope the cop doesn't reply... and even still i can do trial de novo in the event he does, and when i do, does the offer for traffic school still stand?
__________________
Quote:
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #2453
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
hate to ask a question im sure has been asked before but it's tough to filter through this post(though i do recall seeing the answer im looking for); i got a ticket the other day for running a stop sign (i live and drive in the boonies) and the cop would have let me off but i was going too fast for him not to.. i was going about 25, he was nice and everything but none the less wrote me a ticket, will this put a point on my record? i last had traffic school less then 18 months ago and even still i believe it is at the judge's discretion as to whether or not to issue it, yes? my hope is that i can delay the court date until i get past 18 months from initial issue, and my only plan there was to do a written decleration... and hope the cop doesn't reply... and even still i can do trial de novo in the event he does, and when i do, does the offer for traffic school still stand?
If it's been less than 18 months then it is judges discretion. Most of the time they will not allow it though. It's not court dates as far as traffic school is concerned, it's ticket dates. So you might be good on that! You can do the trial by declaration and then appear in court later if you chose. It has to do with not having the ability to question the states witness (or city/county). The traffic school is available at judges discretion anytime. Although there are a lot of judges who don't allow it if you fight the ticket and lose.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #2454
Anub!s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,804
My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
hey guys. I posted this in OT by mistake and remembered this thread later. Could you please help a brother out with some info please?

Thanks

Quote:
Couple of weeks ago, I got a fix it ticket at the airport for my front license plate missing. When I gave him my registration and insurance I realized I had the expired insurance card in the car.
I explained to him that the insurance was renewed late December for the next 6 months and the card was at home. He specifically said, that I should just take the card with me when I take the license to be checked off and they will check that off as well.
I didn't read the ticket as he explained it nicely and just signed the citation.
Today I get a letter in the mail from the court house saying there's a bail amount of "750 c. " !!

The ticket shows the check box "fixable yes" checked for the license and "no" for the insurance.

I have no idea what 750 c. is since it's not dollars and am I supposed to pay $750 for not having the insurance card in the car?

My first fix it ticket and would help if anyone can enlighten me.
__________________
Anub!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #2455
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotumDependeate View Post
hey guys. I posted this in OT by mistake and remembered this thread later. Could you please help a brother out with some info please?

Thanks
In the vehicle code, only certain mechanical violations are technically "correctable". Since insurance does not fit that category, it always says "no" in the correctable box. If, however, you had insurance at the time of the stop, and can provide proof, you take it to the traffic window at the courthouse and they will get rid of the fine and you'll pay only the $10 admin fee. The $750 number is so high because that is the fine that you pay in CA if you do not have insurance at the time you were stopped.

Bottom line is, don't worry as long as you have proof of coverage. And get down to the traffic window to get it resolved soon...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #2456
bimmerboi43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: nor cal
Posts: 225
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
frobie.. ochm? what are your thoughts on weed? if you were to pull someone over and they had less than a gram of marijuana? theyve had no priors or record? and what if you noticed they were high ? what are the consequences and is it considered a dui or anything of the sorts? thanks alot.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #2457
Anub!s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,804
My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
In the vehicle code, only certain mechanical violations are technically "correctable". Since insurance does not fit that category, it always says "no" in the correctable box. If, however, you had insurance at the time of the stop, and can provide proof, you take it to the traffic window at the courthouse and they will get rid of the fine and you'll pay only the $10 admin fee. The $750 number is so high because that is the fine that you pay in CA if you do not have insurance at the time you were stopped.

Bottom line is, don't worry as long as you have proof of coverage. And get down to the traffic window to get it resolved soon...
You sir just brought my blood pressure down. Really appreciate your detailed explanation.

Thank you
__________________
Anub!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #2458
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
frobie.. ochm? what are your thoughts on weed? if you were to pull someone over and they had less than a gram of marijuana? theyve had no priors or record? and what if you noticed they were high ? what are the consequences and is it considered a dui or anything of the sorts? thanks alot.
I wrote someone a citation once for possession of less than an ounce when I was on training (when you have to write everything). Since then, never have I written someone for possession unless it was for sales. If they are high and driving, it could be a DUI, but there is no determination in the vehicle code or case law dictating how much THC can be in your system before it is considered a DUI. I could arrest someone based on their driving, performance on field sobriety tests, and their own statements, but it would be an uphill battle.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #2459
3rd_collective
ti-m-e
 
3rd_collective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NOVA
Posts: 2,371
My Ride: Alpine White ///M
Send a message via AIM to 3rd_collective
Sorry to barge in your folks region but I've been looking into possible making a career change into law enforcement. How long do you normally have to wait before you can apply/be accepted into a more specialized position like SWAT?
__________________
******************************************************
3rd_collective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2460
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_collective View Post
Sorry to barge in your folks region but I've been looking into possible making a career change into law enforcement. How long do you normally have to wait before you can apply/be accepted into a more specialized position like SWAT?
Depends on the department and the unit you want to go into. It can take only a few years on patrol to get to somewhere like detective bureau or some other specialized patrol unit. For something like SWAT, typically at least 5 years or so on patrol. For my department, depends on your performance, reviews, testing results (you have to apply for and test for any specialized unit) and vacancies in the unit you desire. With over 10,000 sworn deputies (LASD is the largest Sheriff's Dept in the world) there is always a lot of movement.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use