E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #2521
323power

My Ride: '11 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I've heard of the show, but never seen it. Maybe I need to set up my DVR to record it...

I find it hard to believe that they can use RADAR, but aren't legally allowed to use moving RADAR. Oh well, good for the speeders, harder for the cops.
Good show

Legislation prevents PSP from running anything but stationary K-band. I believe they're "testing" Ka in some areas, but I haven't seen any. So far behind the times here, but the day where local police can run RADAR is coming eventually, and I can't wait. VASCAR is worse then RADAR in terms of detectability, most times the cops sit in such hidden positions, so far off the road.

323power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #2522
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
Frobie, question...
1) Let's say if you were about to pull into traffic and saw a BMW that was all fixed up, lowered, wheels, loud exhaust, no front plates..etc... would you follow him/her and see if they break any law's then pull them over and site them or would you immediately pull them over and site them?

2) Since I got a fix-it-ticket, would you recommend me to put my car as clsoe as possible to stock and get it signed off...or would the officer that signs off my ticket will site me for lowering too?

3) How many offenses can you have w/ "no front plates"?
I'll try to field a couple of things since Frobie's been handling it solo for a few days...
1. All depends on what you're looking for. Typically, if I have a violation, I usually don't wait long to make the stop.
2. Yes. When you go to get one signed off, the officer can cite you for a new violation then and there. As for the lowering, it needs to be really, really, low to be a violation, so you may be ok.
3. I do have to leave this one for Frobie (traffic king), as I'm not sure...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #2523
FIXEDupW203

My Ride: a bucket on wheels
how dark can you have your taillights tinted if at all?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #2524
rapid

My Ride: 03 sedan
Are police officers allowed to write a ticket to the person on the vehicle's registration and not the actual driver?

For example: Driving a sibling's car without him/her with you and being pulled over for excessive tints. The officer then writes the tint ticket under the friend's name and not yours. I thought the DRIVER of the vehicle is always responsible when being pulled over?

Also, If i were to fight the ticket, would I be able to go even though the citation isn't under my name? Afterall, the sibling had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #2525
slixx1320

My Ride: AW ///M3
Send a message via AIM to slixx1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid View Post
Are police officers allowed to write a ticket to the person on the vehicle's registration and not the actual driver?

For example: Driving a sibling's car without him/her with you and being pulled over for excessive tints. The officer then writes the tint ticket under the friend's name and not yours. I thought the DRIVER of the vehicle is always responsible when being pulled over?

Also, If i were to fight the ticket, would I be able to go even though the citation isn't under my name? Afterall, the sibling had absolutely nothing to do with it.
I could answer this one. Yes they could. It happen'd to me. I was driving one of my friends car and it was too low. Cop didn't site me but the owner of the car even though he was not present.
slixx1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #2526
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW203 View Post
There are two rules that contradict one another...one says that you can't modify the original lighting at all (or if you use replacement lenses or someting, must be DOT approved). The other says that you have to be able to see the lights clearly from 500 ft. So, theoretically, any tinting is illegal by the letter of the law...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #2527
rapid

Quote:
I could answer this one. Yes they could. It happen'd to me. I was driving one of my friends car and it was too low. Cop didn't site me but the owner of the car even though he was not present.
Interesting... So did you end up fighting the citation? Did your friend have to go to court or were you able to go yourself in place of your friend?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #2528
slixx1320

My Ride: AW ///M3
Send a message via AIM to slixx1320
Quote:
Interesting... So did you end up fighting the citation? Did your friend have to go to court or were you able to go yourself in place of your friend?
No I didn't end up fighting the ticket..either way the car was modified.. No point in fighting a ticket when you know for sure you're going to lose. I just told him to fix it and get it signed off. He got it fixed but he was sort of pissed off. Not at me at the whole situation though. He knew it was coming sooner or later. I just told him..you commit the crime you do the time!! lol...
slixx1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #2529
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Trouble maker!!! That section you stated actually applies when someone shows false/fradulant proof of insurance to a court clerk and is actually a misdemeanor. It is not a section you would be cited for in the field, and I've never seen/heard of it being used.

"16030. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (c), any person who
knowingly provides false evidence of financial responsibility (1)
when requested by a peace officer pursuant to Section 16028 or (2) to
the clerk of the court as permitted by subdivision (e) of Section
16028, including an expired or canceled insurance policy, bond,
certificate of self-insurance, or assignment of deposit letter, is
guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding seven
hundred fifty dollars ($750) or imprisonment in the county jail not
exceeding 30 days, or by both that fine and imprisonment."
"Trouble maker!!!"?
But officer, all I was doing was some comparative analysis between the courtesy notice & the bail schedule. Honestly!
I'll just go home now...
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #2530
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikhkd View Post
I got pulled over for illegal signal lights, they're light amber.. cop said if I don't fix them I'll get a ticket next time, does it really matter? you can see them in the daylight too, cop pulls me over out of everyone else who was speeding, taking illegal turns, doing all kinds of violations, but I guess I was the biggest threat to the public because of my light amber lights.. ugh I hate plano cops
Check Texas laws, but in California as long as the signals are clear or amber to the front and amber or red to the rear then it's legal. Check the Vehicle Code for your state and double check. Then if you get stopped you can inform the officer. Politely of course

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #2531
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura325ci View Post
im talkin about the actual dealership kind
my dad has his own dealer lisence
its for inventory cars
Actual dealer plates get really tricky. They're only allowed to be used by salesmen while on a test drive, or by the owner of the dealership for long-term use. Not the daughter/son/wife/husband. Either way they are still required to have insurance. If they are being used legally, then they do not require a front plate.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #2532
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChu View Post
Wow I just spent way too much of my night reading this thread... I usually don't venture out of the Showroom & OT, so I had the pleasure of starting from page 1. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for making this thread. It has been very informative.
No problem. It's been fun and I've actually learned some stuff myself from having to look a couple of things up

Quote:
I'm a photographer, and I regularly block off public roads to pull off shots. For the most part, I try to stay on emptier/private streets or streets where oncoming traffic has enough time to notice the stopped cars and move accordingly. I've had more than enough run ins with security , but only a couple encounters with cops. I've always gotten off with a warning.

So my question is what kind of fines/punishments am I technically looking at? When I'm trying to get a shot, the car I'm shooting is moving fairly slowly or stopped temporarily in the middle of the road. I always try to make the environment as safe as possible, but this is more to protect the beautiful car I'm shooting than oncoming traffic.
I suppose that you could technically get in trouble for operating without the required permits, but that's kind of hard to prove I would think. If the driver of the car (or anyone else involved in the shoot) actually blocks or obstructs traffic then they could be cited. But I would think that it's not really going to happen. And that's worst case scenario.

Quote:
BTW check out my site in my sig if you haven't stumbled across it already. Maybe we can do some cool chase shots for upcoming photo shoots.

EDIT: Wow nevermind.. I just looked up where Lemoore, CA is hahah
I'm not opposed, but like you said, I'm in the middle of nowhere!!

I'll check out your site tonight.... Photography is one of my many, many hobbies. Check out www.leftturnmotorsports.com or www.sm360racing.com for some of my shots of the race car that I pit crew for (another one of my hobbies). Any of the shots that were taken by JHeck are mine

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #2533
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteAngel330 View Post
Thank you, good to get second opinion since the first person that told me was a bit off.
What were you originally told and by who?

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #2534
frobie15

Quote:
Well just yesterday I was in downtown LA driving through and trying to get back onto the fwy (101). There was the chinese new years festival and most of the streets were closed and had detoured. As I made a left turn (forgot which street) onto a 1 way street. I saw a peace officer on the left hand side just about to pull into traffic. As I passed him, he came immediately right behind me. I signal'd and switched lanes cautiously to try to make a left turn at the next light.

Before I could even cross the intersection he turned on his lights...I pulled over and as he was walking up to my car I rolled down the window's and said "good afternoon officer, how are you doing". I am always polite to any peace officer as I know they are doing their job. He asked for my license, registration and insurance. I gave him all that and then I asked him politely "officer, if you dont mind, what was the reason you pulled me over?" He responded and said, "you changed lanes w/out signaling for 200ft... In my head I was like..."ok, i'm sure you pull everyone that breaks that rule!" and secondly he said because you dont have your front plates.

5 min's later he comes back and say's, I'm going to give you a warning about the moving violation but i'm going to site you on the no front plates. Maybe it was my politeness that got me out of the moving violation. Thank God it was only a fix-it-ticket. Now I got to find my front plates and put it on for good....

Frobie, question...
1) Let's say if you were about to pull into traffic and saw a BMW that was all fixed up, lowered, wheels, loud exhaust, no front plates..etc... would you follow him/her and see if they break any law's then pull them over and site them or would you immediately pull them over and site them?
Like what OHC said, if I'm going to stop someone I stop them right away (as long as there's a safe pace to stop them). I really don't care about most mechanical violations and usually don't bother with them. I have multiple reasons, but one of them is so that there is always a reason to stop the car later if another officer wants to be nosy. You know, there's something slightly suspicious going on, but nothing exactly illegal... Now they can stop you and if nothing else do a field interview on everyone in the car.

Quote:
2) Since I got a fix-it-ticket, would you recommend me to put my car as clsoe as possible to stock and get it signed off...or would the officer that signs off my ticket will site me for lowering too?
Again, like what OHC said you have to be REALLY low to get hit with that. The law actually says that you can't have any portion of the car below the lower edge of the rim. Modern cars with 30 or so series tires can ride around an inch or so off the ground and be legal

Quote:
3) How many offenses can you have w/ "no front plates"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteAngel330 View Post
Thats a good question, how many offenses can you have for any violations?
It all depends. Mechanical violations, to my knowledge -- you can have an infinite number. All infractions only stay on your record for three years. So you'd have to be really unfortunate to get more than say, one a year for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I'll try to field a couple of things since Frobie's been handling it solo for a few days...
1. All depends on what you're looking for. Typically, if I have a violation, I usually don't wait long to make the stop.
2. Yes. When you go to get one signed off, the officer can cite you for a new violation then and there. As for the lowering, it needs to be really, really, low to be a violation, so you may be ok.
3. I do have to leave this one for Frobie (traffic king), as I'm not sure...
HAHAHA you said I'm the king

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #2535
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW203 View Post
It all depends on the officer. Technically they're modified lighting, which is illegal. But If the red light is visible from the required distances then they still comply with the law and are legal... So like I said, they're both legal and illegal and it all depends on the officer. As long as the lights look red and not black, then you probably won't get in trouble for it.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #2536
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323power View Post
Good show

Legislation prevents PSP from running anything but stationary K-band. I believe they're "testing" Ka in some areas, but I haven't seen any. So far behind the times here, but the day where local police can run RADAR is coming eventually, and I can't wait. VASCAR is worse then RADAR in terms of detectability, most times the cops sit in such hidden positions, so far off the road.
I never thought that moving RADAR would be easier to avoid than stationary. But if there aren't a lot of laws pertaining to the visibility of stationary RADAR enforcement then I can see where could happen.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #2537
frobie15

Quote:

Yes. Per 40500 (I think) we have the authority to write tickets to the owner of the car. You can fight it is you're the owner since you would be listed as the owner of the vehicle on the ticket. You're right, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for it, but it makes much more sense to cite the owner rather than the driver for mechanical violations.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #2538
rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Yes. Per 40500 (I think) we have the authority to write tickets to the owner of the car. You can fight it is you're the owner since you would be listed as the owner of the vehicle on the ticket. You're right, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for it, but it makes much more sense to cite the owner rather than the driver for mechanical violations.
Ah, I see. So you are saying only the person the citation is written to is allowed to contest it in court, whether it be the driver or not?

Btw, I really appreciate you answering everyone's questions. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #2539
frobie15

Quote:
Ah, I see. So you are saying only the person the citation is written to is allowed to contest it in court, whether it be the driver or not?

Btw, I really appreciate you answering everyone's questions. Thanks!
Yup, if you aren't issued a citation, then there's no reason for you to go to court, right? But keep in mind that an owner's responsibility citation is going to be for a mechanical violation. Is it really worth taking a day off of work to fight a $10 ticket?

Thank you Sam
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #2540
nitro3421

My Ride: 01 M3 TIAG
Send a message via AIM to nitro3421
So what might be the penalty in CA for one of these things?.... http://www.skyoptics.com/Stealth_EVP.htm (it's one of those devices that turns traffic signals green when your approaching it)
-1972 Chevelle - sold
-1996 328i - sold
-2002 330i - sold
-2001 M3 - sold
-1995 M3 - sold
nitro3421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa