E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #241
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
huh???!?!?!?
so if Im going 65 when raining on the freeway, I would get a ticket?
thats no good...
No. It's not that you would get a ticket, it's that you could get a ticket. There's a difference. Just like there's a difference between should and shall.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #242
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
No. It's not that you would get a ticket, it's that you could get a ticket. There's a difference. Just like there's a difference between should and shall.
and pressure and force

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #243
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
and pressure and force
Why I oughta'!!!!!!

You haunt me in these forums... Like I said, I was just confused... Like a cow on astroturf...
Old 03-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #244
mike_e46

My Ride: SXE10
Send a message via AIM to mike_e46
hey frobie.
well you told me that it is very likely that i will get my license suspeneded, but my friend who had his provisional got reckless driving (he had a head on collision on the switchbacks of palos verdes) and didn't get his license suspended.
how is my situation different?
btw my license isn't provisional. just to clear that up
mike_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #245
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Back to Carpool lanes (HOV) for a minute;

Why is it that some areas have one "Double Solid Yellow lines" and some areas have "Double Doubles"? (mmmmm, In 'n Out )

What is the white line for (just left of the yellow line(s))? (this may sound dumb but is it for Motorcycles? )

And speaking of motorcycles, are they exempt from a violation if they weave between HOV and regular lanes?

Thanks!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #246
lavish619

My Ride: 325CI
Hey Frob, this thread was really cool of you. Now i hate to sound redundant but what EXACTLY is the california law on tint? What % tint is legal on rear windows?
lavish619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #247
silverbmw330

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
Why is it that some areas have one "Double Solid Yellow lines" and some areas have "Double Doubles"?
Double solid yellow usually indicates traffic flowing in two separate direction and its a "no passing" zone. Double-double solid yellow (like in the HOV lanes) indicate that you can not cross into the adjacent lane... its like an "invisible wall". Typically, any white line (dashed or solid) can be crossed. With solid white lines, it usually indicates that greater caution should be taken when entering the adjacent lane/shoulder/roadway.
silverbmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #248
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_e46
well you told me that it is very likely that i will get my license suspeneded, but my friend who had his provisional got reckless driving (he had a head on collision on the switchbacks of palos verdes) and didn't get his license suspended.
how is my situation different?
btw my license isn't provisional. just to clear that up
First off, your License IS provisional. If you're under the age of 18, you have a provisional Driver's License. There's a blue and red stripe on it. The blue on means that you're under 18 w/a provisional license, the red means you're under 21.

Your friend just had an at fault collision. I can't say for sure that your license is going to get suspended. At the time, I thought you had your three crashes, and a ticket on your record. Now that I know you don't, there's a chance you might not lose it. It all depends on the judge.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #249
mike_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
First off, your License IS provisional. If you're under the age of 18, you have a provisional Driver's License. There's a blue and red stripe on it. The blue on means that you're under 18 w/a provisional license, the red means you're under 21.
i thought that your provisional is over once you had your license for a year?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #250
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
Back to Carpool lanes (HOV) for a minute;

Why is it that some areas have one "Double Solid Yellow lines" and some areas have "Double Doubles"? (mmmmm, In 'n Out )
Just a matter of having enough room for them. Next time you drive through Irvine on the 405, take a look at how wide the separation is. At least, it used to be about twenty feet. It's under construction now, so alot of that is gone.

Quote:
What is the white line for (just left of the yellow line(s))? (this may sound dumb but is it for Motorcycles? )

And speaking of motorcycles, are they exempt from a violation if they weave between HOV and regular lanes?
In California the way every road is marked is like this. Solid yellow line signifies the extreme left edge of a roadway. Solid white line signifies extreme right edge. So, the HOV lane is ACTUALLY considered a "separate" roadway from the main portion of the freeway. The double yellow lines should be considered the same thing as a brick wall.

And, no, motorcycles aren't technically allowed to ride over the yellow lines to split traffic. But, I'd rather they do it there, than between the #1 and #2 lanes. There's just alot more room between the HOV and #1, which makes it safer.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #251
frobie15

Quote:
i thought that your provisional is over once you had your license for a year?
Nope, not anymore. They just passed a new law that makes it a provisional license until you're 18.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #252
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish619
Hey Frob, this thread was really cool of you. Now i hate to sound redundant but what EXACTLY is the california law on tint? What % tint is legal on rear windows?
You can do four or five layers of 5% tint on everything but the front sides, if you like. The only law on the books about rear window tint is that if you have tint, you have to have an outside mirror on the right side of your car. I don't know why you would want anything darker than 5%, though. I've got that on my rear window and can't see anything through it at night. I had the Volvo done 20% and it's perfect. At least in my opinion it is.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #253
gugo7

My Ride: E46, E30,
its 6 months isnt it?

Youve proberly been asked this 100times by now but you a cop?
gugo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #254
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmw330
Double solid yellow usually indicates traffic flowing in two separate direction and its a "no passing" zone. Double-double solid yellow (like in the HOV lanes) indicate that you can not cross into the adjacent lane... its like an "invisible wall". Typically, any white line (dashed or solid) can be crossed. With solid white lines, it usually indicates that greater caution should be taken when entering the adjacent lane/shoulder/roadway.
This is true. But remember this; The only time you can legally cross over double yellow lines is to make a left turn. Of course, if you're on the freeway and all of a sudden, the HOV lane is blocked, you can go over the lines to get around it. Same thing if you see a red light behind you (getting pulled over) you just move over to the right. Safely, of course
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #255
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugo7
its 6 months isnt it?
There are differene restrictions on your license when you are under the age of 18. They used to be in place for six months (passengers under the age of 21), and 12 months (driving between the hours of 12am and 5am). Those changed at the first of the year. I believe (I could be wrong) that the first one is still in place, but the second one has been extended to the hours of 11pm and 5am (unless you're headed to or from a school function). And, it's now until the age of 18, instead of 12 months from the issue date of your license.

Quote:
Youve proberly been asked this 100times by now but you a cop?
What would your guess be?

Thank you Sam
Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #256
gugo7

My Ride: E46, E30,
I have a front plate ticket until the 14th can i get another ticket in another city, i got pulled over like 5 days after my ticket for same reason told the cop i have a ticket he just let me off.
gugo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #257
mike_e46

when was this change made?
does it apply to people after a certain date?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #258
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugo7
I have a front plate ticket until the 14th can i get another ticket in another city, i got pulled over like 5 days after my ticket for same reason told the cop i have a ticket he just let me off.
As long as you have the ticket with you, you will most likely not get another one. I once wrote a guy a second ticket for tinted windows It had been about a month and a half since he got the other one, and was a week from the court date. I just told him, "It's obvious to me that you only intend to remove the tint to get the ticket signed off, and I'm not okay with that." He was PISSED!!!!!!!! Oh well.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #259
frobie15

Quote:
when was this change made?
does it apply to people after a certain date?
It went into effect January 1st, 2006. And you're not grandfathered. Your DL is back to having restrictions on it. Only until May though, when you turn 18.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #260
mike_e46

I'm not sure if someone posted this already but if the situtation is like...

3 cars (stock honda accord, bmw m3, or a ford taurus) speeding on the freeway.
who would you pull over?

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa