E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #261
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_e46
3 cars (stock honda accord, bmw m3, or a ford taurus) speeding on the freeway. who would you pull over?
If everything else is exactly the same (none have tint, expired registration, etc). And all three are going the EXACT same speed. Neither of them is changing lanes etc. It depends on if they're in a pack or not. If they're not in pack, then the M3 would be the last to get pulled over, and it would be a toss-up between the other two. But, since they're all going the same speed, then they have to be in a pack. So, the front car would probably get pulled over first, regardless of which car it is. Or, if there's something else that catches my eye, it could be the last car in the line. Plus, the last car in line probably caught the other two at some point, so they were probably going faster at some point. Take into consideration that the last car is probably following too close as well, and I guess the final answer is "I don't know. It would all depend on the situation."
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #262
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Frobie - Top 10 CHP pet peeves.
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:09 AM   #263
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
If everything else is exactly the same (none have tint, expired registration, etc). And all three are going the EXACT same speed. Neither of them is changing lanes etc. It depends on if they're in a pack or not. If they're not in pack, then the M3 would be the last to get pulled over, and it would be a toss-up between the other two. But, since they're all going the same speed, then they have to be in a pack. So, the front car would probably get pulled over first, regardless of which car it is. Or, if there's something else that catches my eye, it could be the last car in the line. Plus, the last car in line probably caught the other two at some point, so they were probably going faster at some point. Take into consideration that the last car is probably following too close as well, and I guess the final answer is "I don't know. It would all depend on the situation."
WOOW any plans to run for public office in the future?

The answer I got (me -325i- and a Jetta, 1:30am, on the Freeway, no other cars around, both going the same speed)... and when I asked him why me and not the Jetta, his response was "you're driving the BMW... you can afford the fine more than the Jetta"

Wrote me up for 74 in 65.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 AM   #264
mike_e46

My Ride: SXE10
Send a message via AIM to mike_e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder

The answer I got (me -325i- and a Jetta, 1:30am, on the Freeway, no other cars around, both going the same speed)... and when I asked him why me and not the Jetta, his response was "you're driving the BMW... you can afford the fine more than the Jetta"

wow that sucks. i always thought they would do something like that. but never heard of it actually happening to someone.
mike_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 AM   #265
ckim2116

My Ride: 2002 330ci
[QUOTE=frobie15]There are differene restrictions on your license when you are under the age of 18. They used to be in place for six months (passengers under the age of 21), and 12 months (driving between the hours of 12am and 5am). Those changed at the first of the year. I believe (I could be wrong) that the first one is still in place, but the second one has been extended to the hours of 11pm and 5am (unless you're headed to or from a school function). And, it's now until the age of 18, instead of 12 months from the issue date of your license.

i'm pretty sure the restriction is 12 months (passengers under 21), and until you're 18 to drive between 11pm and 5am

ok a couple of questions. not to sound like an idiot, but aftermarket exhausts are illegal!?

how bad is it if you're driving without a license? (meaning you have one, but it's not on you)
ckim2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:15 AM   #266
KrzyBum420

My Ride: E92 M3
Send a message via AIM to KrzyBum420
KrzyBum420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:31 AM   #267
02BMW330ci

My Ride: Z4M, 335i, 135i
Send a message via AIM to 02BMW330ci
Whoa, this is a cool thread. Yea i was in a situation where a Cop pulled me over (New Jersey Thats where I live) in rush hour on the highway Because im the one with the BMW. He wasnt very nice either. It was a huge swarm of cars, Right lane was doing 72-75 MPH on average, I was in the left lane along with hundreds of other people. We were all going 80 MPH in a 65 MPH. The cop was actually traveling the Opposite direction, My radar went off for about 1 mile prior to seeing him. I didnt slow down because there was lots and lots of cars behind me so i figured, Ok flow of traffic he probably wont do anything. After he passed all of us with his radar on I looked in the review and saw dirt being kicked up and the cop was turning around in the grass and dirt to come our direction. It was 5:37 PM, after 6 Minutes (I was looking at the clock and checking review) 5:43 PM I did not see him, so i thought everything was OK. Another 2 minutes later I see lights flashing about 3 cars back. People pooling off to the side and all. I thought the cop was on his way to some accident or something. The last car finnaly pools into the right lane, now the cop is behind me. I go to move into the right lane, blinker on and all. He pulls behind me. Now Im thinking, "What the Hell" So I pull over, he comes to the car and says "Son do you know how fast you were going?" I said "Yes, I was traveling flow of traffic in the left lane for about 30 minutes." He replies "I clocked you at 86MPH, you were the fastest car on the highway" Now Im real mad, he takes my docs and goes to his car. Everyone was driving 80MPH and so was I, i looked down at the speed dozens and dozens of times. My car couldnt have been off, because when I drive passed those signs, It ussualy shows 3-4MPH slower then whats on my speedo. He comes back to my car with. 21 MPH over the speed Limit 86 in a 65, Careless driving ticket, Illegal Tint Ticket, Some BS Ticket that I didnt have enough Tread on my tires (Fix it ticket), and No seatbelt ticket. I started to freak out. Cause I alwayz ware a seat belt and i had more then 70% tread left on my tires, and i was not going 86 MPH, The tints I can understand. So im yelling at this guys and he says "I am just doing my job, you will have your day in court, have a safe drive." WTF?!?!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:02 AM   #268
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Hey frobie15, could you take a crack at these please...

Easy Question:
What can a cop see about my driving record when he takes my license back to his car? Can he see how many tickets I've recieved this year? How far back does the record go? And when a cop issues a verbal warning, there is no paperwork but is there any reference at all to the incident in the computer?

Hypothetical Scenario:
Let's say I'm on the highway and I blow past a cop at +100mph prompting the cop to give chase. Thanks to a temporary lapse in judgement, let's say I floor it and exit the highway immediately (cop temporarily looses sight of me). I make it to the nearest gas station or something, park the car and hop out. Now the cop pulls up a minute or two later and starts checking out my car.

What happens next? What can the cop do at this point? It's unlikely he could have made a positive visual ID given the speed, right? Seems like there is no way for him to prove who was driving?

If no one admits to owning the mystery car then no one has to go to jail ...right??

Just Curious!! Thanks!

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:36 AM   #269
gugo7

My Ride: E46, E30,
^Good question ive always wondered the same thing myself.

I got a quick question
If cop searches your car and finds alcohol not open just in the car and your underage can anything happen to you?
gugo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:42 AM   #270
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugo7
^Good question ive always wondered the same thing myself.

I got a quick question
If cop searches your car and finds alcohol not open just in the car and your underage can anything happen to you?
I don't know if this is a state to state issue, but I know here in Florida if you're 18 you are allowed to transport alcohol (just like you're allowed to serve it in a restaurant), as long as it isn't open (seal unbroken on a liquor bottle). I don't know whether you're allowed to have it in reach (I always put it in my trunk to be on the safe side when I wasn't 21)

EDIT: Oh yeah I got another question for ya. I'm a delivery driver in a college town (where they agressively tow in apartment complexes). I didn't have my topper on (the sign on top) so a tow truck driver started trying to tow me. Now my question is when can I no longer drive away. When I got to my car he had not yet hooked it up, he was putting the rollers on to move it back out of the parking space. The guy was a huge dick and wouldn't let me go even though I was a delivery driver (side note: he's like I gotta make my money, when in reality he could have gone and towed another car but instead he puts me out 3 shifts of tips ). Could I have gotten in my car and not let him tow it since he only had the rollers on. I know that if I damage his equipment I'm liable, so I wouldn't have just driven off until he pulled them off, but when does he legally have control of the vehicle?

Last edited by 3erdriver; 03-31-2006 at 03:47 AM.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #271
gugo7

My Ride: E46, E30,
Thats BS i parked in some parking lot in Van Nuys went to a different store i was walking back i saw a tow truck with a car that looked exactly mine. It passed by sure enough the plate of was mine i ran about 5 blocks finally he stoped at red i went up to him he pulled over i payed him he let me take my car.
gugo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 AM   #272
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugo7
Youve proberly been asked this 100times by now but you a cop?
OMGHI2YOU!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:11 AM   #273
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS
Hey frobie15, could you take a crack at these please...

Easy Question:
What can a cop see about my driving record when he takes my license back to his car? Can he see how many tickets I've recieved this year? How far back does the record go? And when a cop issues a verbal warning, there is no paperwork but is there any reference at all to the incident in the computer?

Hypothetical Scenario:
Let's say I'm on the highway and I blow past a cop at +100mph prompting the cop to give chase. Thanks to a temporary lapse in judgement, let's say I floor it and exit the highway immediately (cop temporarily looses sight of me). I make it to the nearest gas station or something, park the car and hop out. Now the cop pulls up a minute or two later and starts checking out my car.

What happens next? What can the cop do at this point? It's unlikely he could have made a positive visual ID given the speed, right? Seems like there is no way for him to prove who was driving?

If no one admits to owning the mystery car then no one has to go to jail ...right??

Just Curious!! Thanks!

good question

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #274
mrenn

My Ride: 06' A/W ///m3
Hey Frobie,First off my work (Mckenna) has been a huge donater for the Tom Steiner foundation and I personally have a blast at the golf tourneys.Was wondering if you were familiar and have been attending that charity event.Second,I am not running a very loud exhaust but I have heard of M3's getting pulled over for having to loud of an exhaust,if this is true,how come Harley's dont get pulled over or do they?God those things hurt my ears.Is there a certain decible level a car must be under?Thanks for the thread by the way.
mrenn
NAWTYM3 AA #115 www.m3club.org
mrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #275
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
I dunno, I could get bored when I retire

Quote:

That's a really jacked up way of justifying who gets the ticket, but that's just me. I guess he doesn't know that poorer people are less likely to fight the ticket in court.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #276
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim2116
aftermarket exhausts are illegal!?
On a car, only if they're too loud. On a motorcycle, all aftermarket exhaust is illegal.

Quote:
how bad is it if you're driving without a license? (meaning you have one, but it's not on you)
It's a fix-it ticket. 12951(a) VC - Valid Driver's License not in possession/not readily available.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #277
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar
OMGHI2YOU!!!!!!!!
Mel!!

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:09 AM   #278
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BMW330ci
We were all going 80 MPH in a 65 MPH.
I think this is the answer to your own question, no? In court, an Officer doesn't have to give a reason why they pulled over a specific car out of the group. I know it sounds stupid, but, if everyone else drove off a cliff, would you follow them? You're trying to justify your speed based on the way everyone else is driving.

As for the other sections that he wrote you up for, I have no idea why. Each tire has treadwear indicators. If those are showing on two or more consecutive tread blocks, then I'll write that ticket. Tint. Well, it's only a matter of time before everyone with illegal tint gets a tint ticket. If I were you, I'd try to use the argument that he could've have seen your seatbelt through the tint (hey, use it to your advantage).
Old 03-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #279
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Frobie - Top 10 CHP pet peeves.
1 - Stupid People
2 - Dumb People
3 - Retarded People
4 - Rude People
5 - Drunk People
6 - Argumentative People
7 - Disrespectful People
8 - Stinky People
9 - Dirty People
10-"Entitled" People
Old 03-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #280
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS
Easy Question:
In California, I can see every accident, ticket, and suspension in the last three years. I can also find every DUI arrest from the last ten years. These, of course, are only ones that you have been convicted of.

Quote:
Hypothetical Scenario:

He might not be able to make an ID of the driver, but your car will get towed. And, if the gas station has security cameras (which most do) and you go into the Police station to report your car stolen, then you get to go to jail for evading AND filing a false Police report. Good times for all!! And, there is always the issue of the registered owner of the vehicle being responsible for it. That said, if they find the car with no driver, they'll ask the registered owner who was driving it. If they don't cough someone up, then they COULD go after the registered owner.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa