E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #281
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugo7
If cop searches your car and finds alcohol not open just in the car and your underage can anything happen to you?
As long as you're over 18, and the container is still sealed, then nothing. I think there's something about needing a note from mom or dad if you're under the age of 18, but I'm really tired right now and my brain's not working so much.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #282
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver
when does he legally have control of the vehicle?
Tow truck drivers have control of your vehicle (and are entitled to payment) once your car is hooked up to the truck. Either the stinger, or onto the flatbed.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #283
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrenn
Hey Frobie,First off my work (Mckenna) has been a huge donater for the Tom Steiner foundation and I personally have a blast at the golf tourneys.Was wondering if you were familiar and have been attending that charity event.Second,I am not running a very loud exhaust but I have heard of M3's getting pulled over for having to loud of an exhaust,if this is true,how come Harley's dont get pulled over or do they?God those things hurt my ears.Is there a certain decible level a car must be under?Thanks for the thread by the way.
mrenn
I'm familiar with the event, unfortunately, it's held on weekends, which I work. But, I still thank you/McKenna for the donations. I know a couple of people who worked with him. He was a stand-up guy.

I will fang a Harley for loud exhaust before I will a car anyday! It's an easier ticket to prove, since it's a simple yes or no about aftermarket exhaust. If a car sounds good, I could care less how loud it is
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:16 PM   #284
ckim2116
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: california
Posts: 160
My Ride: 2002 330ci
alright one more quick question...

i dunno if you've heard the rogue dms, but do you think the volume of that is legal? simply putting it on, not removing any resonators or whatnot
ckim2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #285
sugarloafer009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: maine
Posts: 7
My Ride: E90 325xi
Hi i like cops, my grampa was one so i like cops... except ones who have cheap tricks but i know you dont

Ok, question... can I get a points ticket that will make me lose my license or anything for speeding (without noticing it ... not my fault) in a gated community... They don't even have security..rentacops... just whiney people... thnaks!!
sugarloafer009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #286
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarloafer009
Hi i like cops, my grampa was one so i like cops... except ones who have cheap tricks but i know you dont

Ok, question... can I get a points ticket that will make me lose my license or anything for speeding (without noticing it ... not my fault) in a gated community... They don't even have security..rentacops... just whiney people... thnaks!!
Gated community is private property which means the vehicle code is not enforceable. Theoretically, misdemeanors such as exhibition of speed would be cite-able within the community if a peace officer was around and could articulate the offense. Otherwise, any "citations" issued by the community would not impact your driving record.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #287
mrenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: california
Posts: 583
My Ride: 06' A/W ///m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
I'm familiar with the event, unfortunately, it's held on weekends, which I work. But, I still thank you/McKenna for the donations. I know a couple of people who worked with him. He was a stand-up guy.

I will fang a Harley for loud exhaust before I will a car anyday! It's an easier ticket to prove, since it's a simple yes or no about aftermarket exhaust. If a car sounds good, I could care less how loud it is
That's awesome lol.thanks for the answer and you are welcome for the donations on behalf of Mckenna.
Mrenn
__________________
Plenty of mods.with a little boost!
"Im here for a good time,not a long time"
NAWTYM3 AA #115 www.m3club.org
mrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #288
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim2116
i dunno if you've heard the rogue dms, but do you think the volume of that is legal? simply putting it on, not removing any resonators or whatnot
I haven't heard it in person, so I can't say. Just remember how loud a stock Mustang GT is. They're pretty loud. As long as the exhaust looks somewhat stock (tips, etc.) then you won't draw unneeded attention to your ride.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #289
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3
Gated community is private property which means the vehicle code is not enforceable. Theoretically, misdemeanors such as exhibition of speed would be cite-able within the community if a peace officer was around and could articulate the offense. Otherwise, any "citations" issued by the community would not impact your driving record.
Very well put
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:32 PM   #290
ThatOneGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,085
My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Frobie - Top 10 CHP pet peeves.

No?
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #291
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
No?
Post #279, it's there.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #292
ckim2116
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: california
Posts: 160
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
I haven't heard it in person, so I can't say. Just remember how loud a stock Mustang GT is. They're pretty loud. As long as the exhaust looks somewhat stock (tips, etc.) then you won't draw unneeded attention to your ride.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...88#post4139488



does this look stock to you?
hahah i hope so
ckim2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #293
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,743
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim2116
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...88#post4139488



does this look stock to you?
hahah i hope so
Yeah it does. What I meant by not stock looking is one of the fart cans that's found on "other" types of modified cars.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:19 AM   #294
D.Hendrickson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 236
My Ride: 2001 325i (sold)
last summer i was driving north bound on I5 through Yreka. as i crested a hill, there were 2 CHP cars in the median and i went by them at 90-100. i saw them watch me go by, but they didn't come after me.

any reasons why?

while they didn't know the ability of the driver, could they have considered the ability of the car as a factor? would you? i was in my Porsche 928, which is very capable at high speed.

no other cars 2 miles ahead or behind.

or were they just on their lunch break and said F it?

thanks,
__________________
dave


Last edited by D.Hendrickson; 04-01-2006 at 03:31 AM.
D.Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 AM   #295
E55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: far away
Posts: 271
My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
Quick question:

Can CHP pull you over and give you a ticket on local city streets for things such as speeding/fix-it tickets?

Can local city police pull you over on the highway/freeway and give you a ticket for things such as speeding/fix-it tickets?
__________________
E55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #296
PaleRider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 26
My Ride: 2006 330ci
local pd and chp can write you a ticket any place in the state of California.
PaleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #297
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3
 
_.dstrukt.n1ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 1,093
My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55
Quick question:

Can CHP pull you over and give you a ticket on local city streets for things such as speeding/fix-it tickets?

Can local city police pull you over on the highway/freeway and give you a ticket for things such as speeding/fix-it tickets?
CHP and Local Police are 'Peace Officers' and can cite you citations whether you're on the freeway or on the surface streets. It's a common misconception that people think CHP has no jurisdiction over surface streets and vise versa.

Even a park ranger can give you a ticket! If he has a ticket book on hand.
__________________


Oregon, USA






2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #298
mash20
Is not Persian
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Approximately La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 870
My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
I got one about the carpool lane:

Suppose your speeding in the carpool lane, and there is no shoulder to your left (that is, the center divider is immediately to your left). If a cop comes behind you and turns on his lights, do you cross the double solid line to pull over to the right side of the freeway, or wait the mile or so until the broken lines come up? I'm always scared I'll end up in this situation and wait until the broken lines come up and have the cop think im running or something. Then again, if I cross the double solid, he might ticket me for that too! What should we do???
__________________
my amazingly awesome siglol, sleeping fish


Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #299
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3
 
_.dstrukt.n1ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 1,093
My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
I have a question too...

Suppose someone here has the same Nova 4 strobes that police cars have.

If someone had them installed in their front turn signal and rear tail lights (in the clear part) and had them on and a cop saw them, would they get arrested or just ticketed? Keep in mind, it would have the same 'strobe pattern' as a police car, but would be in a bright white, instead of red and blue.

Thanks!
__________________


Oregon, USA






2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #300
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
Chris@AutoWerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,665
My Ride: 1995 Avus Blue M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemnt | 0ne
I have a question too...

Suppose someone here has the same Nova 4 strobes that police cars have.

If someone had them installed in their front turn signal and rear tail lights (in the clear part) and had them on and a cop saw them, would they get arrested or just ticketed? Keep in mind, it would have the same 'strobe pattern' as a police car, but would be in a bright white, instead of red and blue.

Thanks!
That = busted. Sho nuff.
Chris@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use