E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #3041
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
But that's only if the rental car company comes after you. Which is in a different country altogether. You planning on going back to Italy anytime soon or ever? If not then I wouldn't worry about it one bit.
Actually its pretty simple. I bet you the contract has some declaration that the renter is responsible for incidental charges, which means that when the rental company finds out about the parking citations, they will simply charge the amounts accordingly to the credit card # they have on file. No need to come after him.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #3042
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Actually its pretty simple. I bet you the contract has some declaration that the renter is responsible for incidental charges, which means that when the rental company finds out about the parking citations, they will simply charge the amounts accordingly to the credit card # they have on file. No need to come after him.
True, true. My dad got a parking ticket a couple years ago when he was visiting me down in LA. I told him not to pay it up front and see what would happen. He chickened out and paid it within the week.... I wanted to know what would happen in this situation.

Anyone done this????

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #3043
mkodama

Quote:
Well, as a responsible driver, you're supposed to familiarize yourself with the local laws, rules & regulations before driving. Even if you can't read Italian, the international sign for no parking is a white circular sign with a red border and a diagonal red line going through it. If it has an X going through it then it's a "No Stopping/No Standing" zone.
It was a white sign with some text on it. Looked like a parking space to me. Maybe it was a loading zone or something.

Heh, reminds me of someone I know, they are originally from belgium, so they go back there a lot. One time they got a parking ticket while visiting family, and 10 years later got the parking ticket mailed to his house in the US. Sure enough, he paid it.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #3044
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
I have one!!! please help me with this...

2 months ago I was caught by a police officer with a radar going 60mph in a 45mph zone. I was pulled over and given a ticket I had a court appointment written on the ticket to show 1 month from the date but never received the courtesy notice by mail (i know that isnt an excuse by law) but I didnt go and now it has been 2 months since this all happened. I called the court 1 week ago and checked my license record through the automated phone system but nothing pulled up then I entered the ticket number and it said that it does not exist. My question is, is it ever possible that tickets dont go through and now I dont have one or has it been handed over to some other dept and just isnt on the record but I now have warrant? If I face the court is it still possible to have traffic school or will they laugh at me for not appearing on time and "hand it over to me"
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #3045
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
I have one!!! please help me with this...

2 months ago I was caught by a police officer with a radar going 60mph in a 45mph zone. I was pulled over and given a ticket I had a court appointment written on the ticket to show 1 month from the date but never received the courtesy notice by mail (i know that isnt an excuse by law) but I didnt go and now it has been 2 months since this all happened. I called the court 1 week ago and checked my license record through the automated phone system but nothing pulled up then I entered the ticket number and it said that it does not exist. My question is, is it ever possible that tickets dont go through and now I dont have one or has it been handed over to some other dept and just isnt on the record but I now have warrant? If I face the court is it still possible to have traffic school or will they laugh at me for not appearing on time and "hand it over to me"
You'd be surprised at how long it takes a ticket to get into the system sometimes! Some of the courts in this area actually will get so far behind on their data entry that it takes up to six months for the ticket to get into the system. If I were you I'd start a log and call every Monday and note what time you called, what number you called, and who you talked to. That way if in two years they try to say that you never appeared you can prove to them that you went above and beyond in an attempt to get a hold of them.

Thank you Sam
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #3046
bmwTuner1

Quote:
You'd be surprised at how long it takes a ticket to get into the system sometimes! Some of the courts in this area actually will get so far behind on their data entry that it takes up to six months for the ticket to get into the system. If I were you I'd start a log and call every Monday and note what time you called, what number you called, and who you talked to. That way if in two years they try to say that you never appeared you can prove to them that you went above and beyond in an attempt to get a hold of them.
ill do my best, thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #3047
Speeder

Quote:
True, true. My dad got a parking ticket a couple years ago when he was visiting me down in LA. I told him not to pay it up front and see what would happen. He chickened out and paid it within the week.... I wanted to know what would happen in this situation.

Anyone done this????
Uhm... Sure...
A few years ago, I rented a car from Enterprise. I received a parking ticket that I "forgot about". Took the car back, paid the balance but did not mention the ticket.
About 2 months later, I get a call from the branch Manager at the office where I rented and he says: We received a parking citation that was issued on the vehicle that you rented during the time you had it, but when we went to charge it to the card # we had, we found out that the card was expired; can I have the new card #?"
I said: "wait, you're telling me that you didn't even attempt to call me, out of courtesy, to tell me you were gonna charge whatever amount to my card #? Screw you, I'm not gonna giving you sh|t." Click.
About a year after that, I needed to rent a car so I went enterprise (totally forgot about that incident)... Handed him my DL & CC... He comes back with "sorry sir but I can't rent you a car... You can call our corporarte office & they will explain what the deal is..."
When I called a couple of other Enterprise offices I surmised that I had been "black-listed" by Enterprise...
Oh well, there's always "Budget"... They will "pick you up" too if you need them to... LOL
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #3048
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
ill do my best, thanks for taking the time to reply
In addition to what Frobie suggested, you can also kick it up a notch by contacting the law enforcement agency that issued the citation to see if it has been filed.

Regardless of what happens or what answers you get, your appearance in court on or before the date stated on the citation is a must... Otherwise you're risking an additional penalty assessment ($300) & a possible suspension of your driving privilege for a failure to appear!

EDIT: nevermind the 2nd paragraph... The date has already passed!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #3049
frobie15

Quote:
Uhm... Sure...
A few years ago, I rented a car from Enterprise. I received a parking ticket that I "forgot about". Took the car back, paid the balance but did not mention the ticket.
About 2 months later, I get a call from the branch Manager at the office where I rented and he says: We received a parking citation that was issued on the vehicle that you rented during the time you had it, but when we went to charge it to the card # we had, we found out that the card was expired; can I have the new card #?"
I said: "wait, you're telling me that you didn't even attempt to call me, out of courtesy, to tell me you were gonna charge whatever amount to my card #? Screw you, I'm not gonna giving you sh|t." Click.
About a year after that, I needed to rent a car so I went enterprise (totally forgot about that incident)... Handed him my DL & CC... He comes back with "sorry sir but I can't rent you a car... You can call our corporarte office & they will explain what the deal is..."
When I called a couple of other Enterprise offices I surmised that I had been "black-listed" by Enterprise...
Oh well, there's always "Budget"... They will "pick you up" too if you need them to... LOL
Ah HA! So that's what happens when stoopid companies try to do stoopid things! Good to know.

Thank you Sam
Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #3050
beemwe

My Ride: 328i, Z4
Do I have a good chance to fight this ticket?

Hi frobie, thanks for creating this thread, you rock! This is for my girlfriend who just got a ticket for not stopping completely on a stop sign 2 days ago.

She was coming down the hill where she lived in Diamond Bar. There's a 3 way intersection with stop signs on Goldrush. She's coming downhill from the top, there's no traffic from the left of the intersection.

The cop pulled her over and gave her a ticket for doing a rolling stop. He also gave her a warning for doing 28 in a 25 zone. She didn't even know if she's doing a rolling stop.

My girlfriend is a good driver, she never speeds and yells at her brother when he does it. Her record has been spotless for 4-5 years. I think she's just unlucky.

Does she have a good chance in fighting this ticket? I looked up Trial by Declaration and it seems promising.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #3051
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemwe View Post

Does she have a good chance in fighting this ticket? I looked up Trial by Declaration and it seems promising.

Thanks in advance.
I'll jump in for now...

What's the argument?? If its simply that she thinks she stopped, its her word against the officer's, and she's done. Good driving record and not knowing whether or not she rolled the stop isn't going to help her case...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #3052
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I'll jump in for now...

What's the argument?? If its simply that she thinks she stopped, its her word against the officer's, and she's done. Good driving record and not knowing whether or not she rolled the stop isn't going to help her case...
What he said.

Without more information on the situation, it's impossible to tell. The speed seems a little crazy, but every officer is different. How steep of a hill is it? What's the visibility like to the left? I assume she was on the road that is essentially the "top" of the T intersection.

Thank you Sam
Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #3053
beemwe

OHCM3: I would say the argument would be she actually stopped. Is that the best argument?

frobie: It's pretty steep and long. If I roll on 2nd gear, then I'll be at around 3500 rpm. If I put it on 3rd gear, it'll roll in exceed of 40-45 easily. She's driving an SUV which is heavier and probably rolls faster too.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #3054
bmwTuner1

Quote:
In addition to what Frobie suggested, you can also kick it up a notch by contacting the law enforcement agency that issued the citation to see if it has been filed.

Regardless of what happens or what answers you get, your appearance in court on or before the date stated on the citation is a must... Otherwise you're risking an additional penalty assessment ($300) & a possible suspension of your driving privilege for a failure to appear!

EDIT: nevermind the 2nd paragraph... The date has already passed!
thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #3055
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemwe View Post
OHCM3: I would say the argument would be she actually stopped. Is that the best argument?
Yeah, that would really be the only argument... Perhaps you can show that somehow the officer's view of the limit line was obstructed or something like that. Unless you can come in showing how he may have been wrong, its again goign to be a he said/she said which is pretty tough to win usually.

Like Frobie mentioned, the fact that the officer even brought up the speed when we're talking about within 3 MPH of the speed limit seems silly...

Old 09-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #3056
beemwe

Thanks OHCM3 & Frobie. I'll pass along the info to the girlfriend.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #3057
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
I received a ticket for crossing over the double yellow (exiting a HOV lane) and got the "courtesy notice" in the mail. The courtesy notice has the incorrect DL number, it's off by one number. When I called to arrange traffic school this citation does not come up, it only gives the info as dismissed for the last ticket I got. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Everything else on my citation is correct except my DL number. It seems since the wrong DL was used this citation isn't in the system refrencing me. If I blow this off will it catch up to me? I would assume that a bench warrant would be issued at some point and sent to my house however, would the DMV and law enforcement become aware of this or do they only use your DL number to run a check?

Thanks!
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #3058
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
I received a ticket for crossing over the double yellow (exiting a HOV lane) and got the "courtesy notice" in the mail. The courtesy notice has the incorrect DL number, it's off by one number. When I called to arrange traffic school this citation does not come up, it only gives the info as dismissed for the last ticket I got. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Everything else on my citation is correct except my DL number. It seems since the wrong DL was used this citation isn't in the system refrencing me. If I blow this off will it catch up to me? I would assume that a bench warrant would be issued at some point and sent to my house however, would the DMV and law enforcement become aware of this or do they only use your DL number to run a check?

Thanks!
Where did you get the citation? Did you already pay the fine? You have to do that before you arrange traffic school. If you got the citation in LA county you can look it up at lasuperiorcourt.org by citation number to see if its in the system. This could definitely come back to haunt you. A warrant would be attached to the license plate in the vehicle you were driving when the citation was issued, and it would be attached to you by name and date of birth.

Unfortunately, this minor error is not a get out of jail free card. If you chose to fight the ticket for some reason, it may assist/boost if you have some other valid points to argue.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #3059
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
The ticket was issued in LA County (CHP) and everything on the citation is corect except for the DL number and its only off by one digit. I didn't think it would fly to blow it off but it was worth asking about.

The CHP cut you noooo slack. I was on my way to be a pawl bearer at my wifes grandmothers funeral, running late due to crazy traffic, wife bawling in the passanger seat. Carpool lane completely stopped. The officer said he would write the ticket quickly for me. Everyones a comedian.

Thanks for the reply!
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #3060
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
I actually have a question regarding the transportation of a handgun. I go to the range quite a bit, and I also take my gun when I am going on a hike, as I carry it with me while hiking. When I transport, I always have the handgun and magazines in the back seat, and keep the ammo in the trunk, or vice versa. But what are the rules as far as having a handgun inside a locked container inside of my car? If the gun is inside of the container, does it have to be unloaded? If it has to be unloaded, do the magazines need to be empty as well, or can I just keep it loaded inside of the locked container? I was also wondering if there is ever a need to mention that I have a handgun if I get pulled over?

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa