E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #3081
TX

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP ZPP
Send a message via ICQ to TX Send a message via AIM to TX Send a message via MSN to TX Send a message via Yahoo to TX
One of my friends got arrested recently for allegedly stealing some stuff. I had been letting him crash on my couch for a week since he had nowhere else to go, and the cops asked me to search my apartment for a few very specific items they were looking for. I let them, but they totally ****ed my house up... almost everything I own ended up all over the floor in big piles to the point of being a fire safety hazard since nobody could even get to the front door from the bedroom if they needed to. Is there anything I can do?
TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #3082
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
One of my friends got arrested recently for allegedly stealing some stuff. I had been letting him crash on my couch for a week since he had nowhere else to go, and the cops asked me to search my apartment for a few very specific items they were looking for. I let them, but they totally ****ed my house up... almost everything I own ended up all over the floor in big piles to the point of being a fire safety hazard since nobody could even get to the front door from the bedroom if they needed to. Is there anything I can do?
File a complaint with the department that searched your house.

The scope of their search should have only been limited to the areas of the house that your friend had access to. The living room, kitchen, main bathroom, garage, etc. But not your bedroom. Either way, they aren't required by law to put your house back together after they search it. But common decency would say that they should put it back together. If they searched your bedroom then they violated search and seizure laws and you need to file a complaint/lawsuit.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #3083
TX

Send a message via ICQ to TX Send a message via AIM to TX Send a message via MSN to TX Send a message via Yahoo to TX
Yes, they searched my bedroom, hall closets, et cetera. As for putting the house back together, they made it 1000x worse than it has ever been. I had a big cardboard box sitting on one of my living room chairs that was full of all sorts of bottles of soap, shampoo, et cetera from my bathroom that were removed when the bathroom was remodeled recently which they poured all over the floor and just left sitting there. They also destroyed the box to the point of it not even being a box anymore, so it wasn't even possible for me to put the stuff back away. They also stood around making rude comments about how the house smelled (we have cats and the boxes hadn't been cleaned yet today), clutter that was already existing (I'm disabled and have a hard time cleaning my house up a lot of the time), et cetera. I asked them beforehand "you guys aren't going to **** up my house are you?" and they pretty much told me it didn't matter since it was already a mess. I wonder if the ACLU can do anything for me... this is ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #3084
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
File a complaint with the department that searched your house.

The scope of their search should have only been limited to the areas of the house that your friend had access to. The living room, kitchen, main bathroom, garage, etc. But not your bedroom. Either way, they aren't required by law to put your house back together after they search it. But common decency would say that they should put it back together. If they searched your bedroom then they violated search and seizure laws and you need to file a complaint/lawsuit.
Not to 2nd guess the response, but if he gave them permission to look for certain items, sounds like them limited the scope to those items, not to a specific location within the house. Unless TX is leaving it out, it doesn't sounds like he told the cops any areas of the house were off limits...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #3085
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Yes, they searched my bedroom, hall closets, et cetera. As for putting the house back together, they made it 1000x worse than it has ever been. I had a big cardboard box sitting on one of my living room chairs that was full of all sorts of bottles of soap, shampoo, et cetera from my bathroom that were removed when the bathroom was remodeled recently which they poured all over the floor and just left sitting there. They also destroyed the box to the point of it not even being a box anymore, so it wasn't even possible for me to put the stuff back away. They also stood around making rude comments about how the house smelled (we have cats and the boxes hadn't been cleaned yet today), clutter that was already existing (I'm disabled and have a hard time cleaning my house up a lot of the time), et cetera. I asked them beforehand "you guys aren't going to **** up my house are you?" and they pretty much told me it didn't matter since it was already a mess. I wonder if the ACLU can do anything for me... this is ridiculous.
Like Frobie said, there is probably only a decency issue here with the police, not a civil rights issue if you gave them consent to search. They certainly should have been a lot more considerate, especially since it seems you were helping them out and being cooperative.

As for a 4th amendment violation, if you specifically said "you can look in the living room, but not my bedroom," then they did something wrong by looking in your bedroom. If you told them they could search you apartment for the items they were looking for, then you gave them free reign over the entire apartment wherever those items may reasonably be found. The only exception to this would be if they told you they were looking for a bike, but they were searching your medicine cabinet where there clearly couldn't be a bike, then we again have a scope of search issue.

Bottom line, they were rude, but not sure there are any criminal/civil violations here that the ACLU would want to jump on.

P.S. on a total side note, sounds like you need to pick your friends a little better too. All of this could have been avoided if you didn't allow a criminal to use your place as a crash pad...

Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #3086
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Not to 2nd guess the response, but if he gave them permission to look for certain items, sounds like them limited the scope to those items, not to a specific location within the house. Unless TX is leaving it out, it doesn't sounds like he told the cops any areas of the house were off limits...
I forgot about the whole, "permission to search" issue... Thanks for clearing that up, Chris!

Thank you Sam
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #3087
TX

Well, the stuff they were looking for was largish stuff like vacuum cleaners and full size computer motherboards still in the box, and they got into really small backpacks, a small case I had some weed pipes in (which they didn't give a **** about), etc. They looked in small drawers, tiny pockets in things and other places where none of the stuff they were given consent to look for could have ever been. They also dug through all of the guy's stuff that he had over here and took a bunch of his things that were completely unrelated to what they were given permission to look for.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #3088
AirborneDEN

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to AirborneDEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post
I have heard various info on this, and I just wanted to clarify it.

Is it legal for an officer to pop the hood of the car? What's the worst that could happen if you denied the officer from popping the hood, would the cop just tow/impound the car? Seems like if you had an engine swap, that would be a better option than getting a possible ref ticket.

Also, related question. If the car had no noticeable engine mods to it from the outside (modified exhaust/midpipes/etc/etc), then would the cop have viable reason to pop the hood? Would the fact that the car had a lot of non-engine mods, like widebody/paint/wheels/suspension/etc, be a good enough reason to allow the cop to pop the hood of a car?

Thanks.

-Don
I am still curious about this.

Also wondering what is the status with the whole Ref thing and Ref tickets no, since I just recently heard that they have been de-activated for the mean time.

thanks.

-Don
AirborneDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #3089
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post
I am still curious about this.

Also wondering what is the status with the whole Ref thing and Ref tickets no, since I just recently heard that they have been de-activated for the mean time.

thanks.

-Don
As long as the officer has some probable cause to believe that there is a violation, they can demand that you open the hood. The 4th amendment rights differ with vehicles since they can drive away (as opposed to a house for instance).

If you refuse to do so, I guess theoretically you can be charged with misdemeanor 148PC, resisting, delying, obstructing.

As for the refs, I also understand that they aren't currently being used.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #3090
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Hey guys. I have a question.

I previously had a ticket that i went to court for on September 10th. We had everything settled, I received my fine and points on my record then went on my way. Just yesterday I get a letter in the mail saying I have a warrant out for my arrest. I know the first line says "If you have already paid or appeared on the following citation, please disregard this notice" but it's a warrant out for my arrest how can I disregard it.

I tried calling hte courts, but they are way to busy and they can't even put me on hold. What do you think the best bet for me is to do? Go to the court? I'm scared if i go to court i will get arrested before i could show them what happend. I do have proof that i was in court that day and i have that paper saying my fine n stuff like that.

What should I do? I don't wanna get arrested for a mistake they made! lol..

Thanks,

-Raj
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #3091
coptic

My Ride: 2002 C240
heres my dilemma....

Unfortunately, on my way to school I got a speeding ticket...

I was going 60mph on a 45 zone....was running late for class... yea i know thats no excuse..

But here are my choices, and if you guys could help that would be great...

1. Pay it straight up and do traffic school
Consequences- price of both ticket and traffic school

2. Try fighting it in court and/or try this ..... www.ticketassassin.com
Consequences- pay $25 and possibility of losing, and possibility of ticket price increase and/or court fees
No chance for traffic school...
What are the chances of me winning of me in court?
The cop caught my speed on his radar, and I was slowing a little as I saw him, so he directed me to the side to pull over...

So now... whats the next step I should do?

Cops... help...!! lool
coptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #3092
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
Hey guys. I have a question.

I previously had a ticket that i went to court for on September 10th. We had everything settled, I received my fine and points on my record then went on my way. Just yesterday I get a letter in the mail saying I have a warrant out for my arrest. I know the first line says "If you have already paid or appeared on the following citation, please disregard this notice" but it's a warrant out for my arrest how can I disregard it.

I tried calling hte courts, but they are way to busy and they can't even put me on hold. What do you think the best bet for me is to do? Go to the court? I'm scared if i go to court i will get arrested before i could show them what happend. I do have proof that i was in court that day and i have that paper saying my fine n stuff like that.

What should I do? I don't wanna get arrested for a mistake they made! lol..

Thanks,

-Raj
I know a lot of jackasses who wear a badge, but I don't think any of 'em would arrest you for a warrant that you're showing up in court to clear! But I'd try to clear it over the phone first if I were you!

Thank you Sam
Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #3093
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coptic View Post
heres my dilemma....

Unfortunately, on my way to school I got a speeding ticket...

I was going 60mph on a 45 zone....was running late for class... yea i know thats no excuse..

But here are my choices, and if you guys could help that would be great...

1. Pay it straight up and do traffic school
Consequences- price of both ticket and traffic school

2. Try fighting it in court and/or try this ..... www.ticketassassin.com
Consequences- pay $25 and possibility of losing, and possibility of ticket price increase and/or court fees
No chance for traffic school...
What are the chances of me winning of me in court?
The cop caught my speed on his radar, and I was slowing a little as I saw him, so he directed me to the side to pull over...

So now... whats the next step I should do?

Cops... help...!! lool
Honestly, that decision is one that you're gonna have to make entirely on your own. There's not much advice that I can give without knowing more of the situation. Getting a lawyer to fight it in court usually won't help too much unless you're driving a big rig.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #3094
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
I know a lot of jackasses who wear a badge, but I don't think any of 'em would arrest you for a warrant that you're showing up in court to clear! But I'd try to clear it over the phone first if I were you!
haha, thanks Frobbie. I actually decided to go to court and make sure it was fine. And it turns out that it was before all my court stuff was done and I am okay, and it was cleared a while back. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #3095
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
haha, thanks Frobbie. I actually decided to go to court and make sure it was fine. And it turns out that it was before all my court stuff was done and I am okay, and it was cleared a while back. Thanks for the help.
Awesome! Glad to know you won't be getting arrested for no apparent reason!

Thank you Sam
Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #3096
Slvr e39

My Ride: Stg2 Dinan M3
One of my friends wants to get his front windshield tinted (for some stupid reason lol), is there a different repercussion for having the windshield tinted versus having the front windows tinted?
Thanks!
Slvr e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #3097
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
One of my friends wants to get his front windshield tinted (for some stupid reason lol), is there a different repercussion for having the windshield tinted versus having the front windows tinted?
Thanks!
Same fix it ticket.

I love my tinted windshield
Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #3098
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
Thanks!
Yes there is. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christkharris View Post
Same fix it ticket.

I love my tinted windshield
Wrong. Your car can be impounded for being "an unsafe vehicle" for something like a tinted windshield. Definitely NOT worth it!

Thank you Sam
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #3099
OHCM3

Quote:

Wrong. Your car can be impounded for being "an unsafe vehicle" for something like a tinted windshield. Definitely NOT worth it!
I've done that before...between dark tinted windows and a dark tinted windshield, there is a major safety issue there...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #3100
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Frobie, I got a ticket today CVC 22100(a). Right turn from the improper position was written on the ticket. The officers set up a "trap" on a freeway on ramp. It is a two lane freeway on ramp that you have to make a right to enter. The street from which you enter has 3 lanes. One lane is a right turn only lane and the center lane is not marked. There are no signs that say the center lane can or cannot turn right. I was in the center lane and the cars in front of my had signals to turn right as did I. I thought nothing of it, turned right and was pulled over. The officer said I cut the people off in the right turn lane. There are two lanes to enter the freeway for a reason and I did not cut them off. Two people in front of me turned right and one behind me, yet I get pulled over. Should I contest this ticket by a written trial? I do not want to lose my option for traffic school. The ground has really old paint marks and I could not tell if the arrow was for just straight or straight and right. I safely made a right turn with my signal on and no danger to anyone as the lane next to me was right turn only. Any advice. Thanks.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa