E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #3101
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by learthworml View Post
Frobie, I got a ticket today CVC 22100(a). Right turn from the improper position was written on the ticket. The officers set up a "trap" on a freeway on ramp. It is a two lane freeway on ramp that you have to make a right to enter. The street from which you enter has 3 lanes. One lane is a right turn only lane and the center lane is not marked. There are no signs that say the center lane can or cannot turn right. I was in the center lane and the cars in front of my had signals to turn right as did I. I thought nothing of it, turned right and was pulled over. The officer said I cut the people off in the right turn lane. There are two lanes to enter the freeway for a reason and I did not cut them off. Two people in front of me turned right and one behind me, yet I get pulled over. Should I contest this ticket by a written trial? I do not want to lose my option for traffic school. The ground has really old paint marks and I could not tell if the arrow was for just straight or straight and right. I safely made a right turn with my signal on and no danger to anyone as the lane next to me was right turn only. Any advice. Thanks.

In addition to road markings, there may be a sign as you approach the intersection showing which lanes are designated to go which direction. As a general rule, if there is a lane designated with a painted turn arrow, the lanes next to it would be straight only unless indicated otherwise.

My guess is that there is likely a sign posted somewhere or perhaps some markings that you missed. With so many people out there to cite for all kinds of violations, I doubt the officers would sit somewhere and cite for a violation that is very ambiguous and seemingly likely to produce a lot of contested tickets. Fishing holes such as these (yes, I have some too), are usually for the most clear cut violations that are very easy to prove in court, otherwise the officers would pick somewhere else to sit.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #3102
GaminKWB

My Ride: is black.
These questions are in the spirit of the multiple turn lane issue.

If there are two right-turn lanes. And the signal is red. Is it legal for the outside turn lane to make a right hand turn, into the second lane? Barring on-coming traffic of course.

Another issue at the same location, it is a two-turn lane onto a three lane road. Almost everybody skips the first lane on their turn. The first-lane drivers turn into the second lane and the second-lane drivers go into the third. There are no road marking indicating that they should be doing this. This causes a problem for me because I use the second-land and turn into the second lane. I have almost been struck multiple times. Is there any way to report trouble locations such as these? I have tried the general non-emergency local police phone line only to be told that they really didn't care. If I am side-swiped, or even t-boned, from the person in the first lane, it would be their fault, correct? They would have failed to turn onto the lane closest to the curb...
GaminKWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #3103
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaminKWB View Post
These questions are in the spirit of the multiple turn lane issue.

If there are two right-turn lanes. And the signal is red. Is it legal for the outside turn lane to make a right hand turn, into the second lane? Barring on-coming traffic of course.

Another issue at the same location, it is a two-turn lane onto a three lane road. Almost everybody skips the first lane on their turn. The first-lane drivers turn into the second lane and the second-lane drivers go into the third. There are no road marking indicating that they should be doing this. This causes a problem for me because I use the second-land and turn into the second lane. I have almost been struck multiple times. Is there any way to report trouble locations such as these? I have tried the general non-emergency local police phone line only to be told that they really didn't care. If I am side-swiped, or even t-boned, from the person in the first lane, it would be their fault, correct? They would have failed to turn onto the lane closest to the curb...
first question- correct
second question- you're right about who would be at fault and which lane they should turn into. You should contact your city hall about issues like this. Usually the police departments aren't the governing body that can help with issues/changes like the one you brought up.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #3104
AirborneDEN

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to AirborneDEN
As I had expected, since why I asked earlier in this thread. I got pulled over for a "modified" exhaust, when my car is 100% stock from the airbox to the stock exhaust. These officers did not want to reason with me at all. It was basically my word against theirs, and I know mine is basically worth nothing. Is that the case in these situations?

I drive a widebody M3, with the original race car paint scheme, hence the profiling. I let them search my entire engine bay and exhaust, etc, which there was nothing to be found. Then when they asked if I would let them search my trunk, I told them no. They were trying to peer pressure me into letting them search it, by saying I probably had nitrous in there and that is why i am denying them from searching it.

I wanted to be as reasonable as possible, however, they were having none of it at all. I could not argue with them, as it would make me seem rude, but at the same time, I was in no violation of any illegal engine mods to begin with. Am I basically a puppet at that point, since it would be their word against mine?

If there is nothing that I can do, then there is nothing I can do. However, if there is even a chance of me protecting myself from this type of "harassment", then I would really like to know.

-Don

Last edited by AirborneDEN; 10-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.
AirborneDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #3105
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post
As I had expected, since why I asked earlier in this thread. I got pulled over for a "modified" exhaust, when my car is 100% stock from the airbox to the stock exhaust. These officers did not want to reason with me at all. It was basically my word against theirs, and I know mine is basically worth nothing. Is that the case in these situations?

I drive a widebody M3, with the original race car paint scheme, hence the profiling. I let them search my entire engine bay and exhaust, etc, which there was nothing to be found. Then when they asked if I would let them search my trunk, I told them no. They were trying to peer pressure me into letting them search it, by saying I probably had nitrous in there and that is why i am denying them from searching it.

I wanted to be as reasonable as possible, however, they were having none of it at all. I could not argue with them, as it would make me seem rude, but at the same time, I was in no violation of any illegal engine mods to begin with. Am I basically a puppet at that point, since it would be their word against mine?

If there is nothing that I can do, then there is nothing I can do. However, if there is even a chance of me protecting myself from this type of "harassment", then I would really like to know.

-Don
Unfortunately a car that looks modified (illegally) probably is, so you're likely to be hit up often by those officers/deputies that enjoy enforcing equipment laws. A saying within law enforcement (and a common knowledge one outside of it as well) is "walks like a duck, talks like a duck, its a duck." So, if you want to walk and talk like one, be prepared that some people might think that they are a duck and they'll treat you like that until proven otherwise. The image you portray is that of a modified "race" car, so you've opened yourself up to scrutiny

Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #3106
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
What's that move called when the police is chasing someone and a cop car drives up to the chased car and pushes it from the rear to make it spin? Such a cool move !
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #3107
Azban

My Ride: 2003 325i
pit maneuver?
Azban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #3108
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHGordoN View Post
What's that move called when the police is chasing someone and a cop car drives up to the chased car and pushes it from the rear to make it spin? Such a cool move !
Spin-and-pin.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #3109
brediv12

My Ride: Pista/e46
Frobie,

I don't know if you remember my situation but I asked you what to do because I never received my courtesy letter and I missed my court date. I ended up calling them and it turned out that the officer who issued my ticket wrote down the wrong drivers license. Since that happened, they didn't put me at any fault for missing my court date and said they would change it and send me a letter. This was back on 9/28. About 1 week ago I received a letter and at the top it said something along time lines of "notice of court date chage". It had my old court date and my new court date. Is this the only letter I receive? Or should I expect another letter where I can check a box for going to traffic school or pay the fine? This was a speeding ticket for 75+ on a 65. Thanks Frobie and whoever answers.

EUROPROJEKTZ - NorCal Chapter

brediv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #3110
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azban View Post
pit maneuver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Spin-and-pin.
It's the P.I.T. maneuver. Pursuit Intervention Technique. Hard to do properly, but if you can pull it off there's usually little damage to either vehicle.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #3111
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane M-K View Post
Frobie,

I don't know if you remember my situation but I asked you what to do because I never received my courtesy letter and I missed my court date. I ended up calling them and it turned out that the officer who issued my ticket wrote down the wrong drivers license. Since that happened, they didn't put me at any fault for missing my court date and said they would change it and send me a letter. This was back on 9/28. About 1 week ago I received a letter and at the top it said something along time lines of "notice of court date chage". It had my old court date and my new court date. Is this the only letter I receive? Or should I expect another letter where I can check a box for going to traffic school or pay the fine? This was a speeding ticket for 75+ on a 65. Thanks Frobie and whoever answers.
That'll probably be the only letter you get. And treat it like it's for the first court date you received. If you were planning on going to court, then schedule that now. If you were just going to do traffic school, request that now and pay the fine.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #3112
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azban View Post
pit maneuver?
WHAT??? PIITB MANEUVER??? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
It's the P.I.T. maneuver. Pursuit Intervention Technique. Hard to do properly, but if you can pull it off there's usually little damage to either vehicle.
thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #3113
frobie15

Quote:
WHAT??? PIITB MANEUVER??? haha
HAHAHA No, no, no! That's off duty...

Thank you Sam
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #3114
-Jay-

My Ride: 06 X3 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to -Jay-
frobie, sent you a pm
Old 10-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #3115
Trip6

My Ride: 2004 Alpine 325CI
Hello Frobie,
I think this is a great idea and from what I have seen it has helped a lot of people understand basic laws and such. Seeing as you are no longer on the hard freeways of O.C. When would the number of CHP on the fallowing freeways be minimal? 55 s/n 5 s/n 22. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00'323i View Post
Apparently, someone running in a red shirt **** himself. Don't quote me on that, though.

Last edited by Trip6; 10-25-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Trip6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #3116
freed0m1

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I did this thread more for MY peace of mind, than anyone else's

3- 99+ is what I usually write when people are going over 100. Over 100 is a mandatory appearance before a judge, 99 is not. Keeps me from having too much court.
about a month ago i got pulled over on 280 for doing 98? i have a mandatory court appearance? how screwed am i? possibility of loosing my license?
freed0m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #3117
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed0m1 View Post
about a month ago i got pulled over on 280 for doing 98? i have a mandatory court appearance? how screwed am i? possibility of loosing my license?
You shouldn't have any chance of losing your license. But I suppose the judge could always pull out some obscure law.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #3118
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip6 View Post
Hello Forbie,
I don't know who you're talking to, but I'll try to answer as best as I can
Quote:
I think this is a great idea and from what I have seen it has helped a lot of people understand basic laws and such. Seeing as you are no longer on the hard freeways of O.C. When would the number of CHP on the fallowing freeways be minimal? 55 s/n 5 s/n 22. Thanks.
There is always going to be fewer squad cars out on the graveyard shift. No matter where you are in the state. Otherwise day shift on the weekends in the urban areas are lighter staffed. But keep in mind that there's fewer civilian cars out at those times as well, so you run a good risk of getting caught still.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #3119
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
thanks for making this thread frobie just started skimming through it good stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #3120
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
thanks for making this thread frobie just started skimming through it good stuff.
Glad to be of service!

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa