E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #3201
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon View Post
First, let me apologize if the question has been posted before, it's hard to go back 161 pages.

I was pulled over for speeding over the weekend going down 101 near SFO. I was cited for 81mph in a 65. I was going with the flow of traffic, in fact, people were passing me still. The roads were pretty empty, I was probably in the middle of what I recall as around 5 lanes. I recall seeing my GPS readout at about 77 or so when I last read it. I was wondering if CHP uses some sort of GPS device when pacing people, I know in my car, my speedo reads up to 8 miles higher than actual speed, so is the 81 contestable in court? Could I request to see some offical readout for the infraction?

The 2nd part of it is, I was also cited as "unlicensed" since I had an out of state license (valid license, however). I was still trying to decide if I wanted to stay in CA, and because I almost never drive here, I just kept putting it off. Now that I bought a house (about 2 weeks ago), I was going to go and switch it, just didn't make it to the DMV yet. Anyhow, the ticket stated "booking required", but I'm not sure what that means. Will this result in points as well?

PS: I went and got a CA license today, better late than never I guess.

TIA for any help/advice.

Hey there, I'll go in order...

Our police cars have their spedometers calibrated at least once per year, so they are likely pretty accurate. Secondly, most CHP units have a driving radar system that is able to calculate the speed of the CHP car and the speed of the car being picked up by the radar. Third and Final, is that you got cited for an infraction that only requires that you were going over 65 MPH on a highway. Even if you can prove you were "only" going 77, still guilty, so its a lose/lose.

The unlicensed driver issue is a little bigger, as its is a misdemeanor and technically you were arrested, and field released. So, you now have an arrest record! In CA, once you establish residency (even if you're not sure that your're going to stay), you have only 10 days to get a CA driver's license. You can speak to the judge and argue that you were not a permanent CA resident at the time, or simply beg for leniency and show that you now have a CA license. The judge/traffic commissioner has some discretion there...

Best of luck, welcome to CA!

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #3202
thesbwhonamedusue

My Ride: 330ci
10 days? christ , arrested and field released? i didn't even know something so stupid existed.
i guess you just got stuck with a bored cop. and i bet you didnt even get read your miranda rights nor a reach-around.
Best of luck, welcome to CA! home of the nuts the fruits and the flakes.

Last edited by thesbwhonamedusue; 12-02-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
thesbwhonamedusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3203
otacon

My Ride: '05 M3
Send a message via ICQ to otacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesbwhonamedusue View Post
10 days? christ , arrested and field released? i didn't even know something so stupid existed.
i guess you just got stuck with a bored cop. and i bet you didnt even get read your miranda rights nor a reach-around.
Best of luck, welcome to CA! home of the nuts the fruits and the flakes.
Not exactly feeling too welcomed.

I think he was an officer in training. He was receiving instructions for every step from another officer back at the cruiser. Didn't say much, simply approached, said that I should sit tight, he's writing up the citiation.
Bluetooth ULF|OEM Sirius Radio|ZR3+8500 X50|Body colored reflectors|Door lock delete|ZCP wheels + Toyo T1-R|Alpine MP3 6 disc changer|AUX|UUC EVO3 SSK|OEM CSL Bootlid|Euro split mirror glass|Vorsteiner Full CF CSL Defuser
otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #3204
thesbwhonamedusue

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon View Post
Not exactly feeling too welcomed.

I think he was an officer in training. He was receiving instructions for every step from another officer back at the cruiser. Didn't say much, simply approached, said that I should sit tight, he's writing up the citiation.
hmm, you should have asked to have the other officer present so you could at least be ticketed by a more compitent officer, or ask to see their sgt. they love that!
i wouldnt worry about your licence issue as long as you turn up to court with a cali lic. 99.9% positive they will throw it out. especially since you already have/had a valid license when you got the idiot ticket and no you dont have an arrest record.
oh and in the future, just tell the guy you're just visiting even if you arent, and you arent used to the pace even if you are, etc,etc.
just be sure to: as lee marvin put it "look dumb and act stupid"

Last edited by thesbwhonamedusue; 12-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #3205
goofy10

My Ride: 1
Here's my ticket(s) story:

I was pulled over in Glendale supposedly going 41 in a 30.. or somewhere around there. I asked him if I could see the radar and he said "oh.. well my partner over there got you on radar..." I kind of looked at him like Really? Your partner got me on radar and YOU'RE pulling me over?

Anyway, this happened on March 19, 2008. The officer dated my court date for April 20, 2008, which fell on a Sunday. I went to court beginning of April and asked about what to do, they said they will automatically reschedule my appointment. Then I got a letter in the mail saying go to court on July 7th. Okay. So I go.

This guy standing near the 100 foot line says "well if you're gonna go to court, just make a check out for $311, and write "Not Guilty" on the it, drop it in this box and they'll send you a letter to come back for a trial so you don't have to stand in line.." So me being in a hurry said ok.. I did just that. About a week later I get a letter about traffic school. I clearly wrote NOT GUILTY meaning I wanna go to court and fight it. I never agreed to giving in and taking traffic school.

So I went back to the courthouse sometime in August, asking is going on. I told them I work at the bank and I can have the check copy faxed over to them in less than 2 mins. They said they can't accept it but there was no note of me signing up for court. SO I bit ched.. and bi tched... She went to the back and talked to her supervisor and she made me write "I will not be taking traffic school.. I am signing up for a trial" blah blah.. and made me sign it and date it. She said they'll go ahead and get me a new trial date.. So now it is December 3rd and my court date for a ticket I got in March is on December 15th, next Monday. I already have a really good feeling the cop won't show, but how can I fight this ticket? I was actually on the phone with my gf at the time telling her "wow there are SO many cops right now on their bikes getting people on radar." and BOOM the guy came behind me with his lights on. The $311 already went through my account a long time ago but I want that refunded. I also got a ticket last month that I need to fight for in January (extended it) but he got me on laser so the only chance I have is if he doesn't show up in court.
goofy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #3206
OHCM3

Quote:
hmm, you should have asked to have the other officer present so you could at least be ticketed by a more compitent officer, or ask to see their sgt. they love that!
i wouldnt worry about your licence issue as long as you turn up to court with a cali lic. 99.9% positive they will throw it out. especially since you already have/had a valid license when you got the idiot ticket and no you dont have an arrest record.
oh and in the future, just tell the guy you're just visiting even if you arent, and you arent used to the pace even if you are, etc,etc.
just be sure to: as lee marvin put it "look dumb and act stupid"
Two things... Ask for my Sgt, and I'll turn a cite/field release into a custodial arrest (take you to the station, tow your car) and figure out what else I can get you for. 2nd, play dumb, but I talk to people all day long, and I promise, at some point, with a long repeated line of questioning you'll either slip up or finally give in, then you're subject to arrest for giving an officer false information.

What the guy did was right...you can argue that you don't like the law, and that's fine, but 'otacon' was right being honest, and the cop just cited someone for an actual violation of CA law (no matter how petty you may think that law is)

Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #3207
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy10 View Post
Here's my ticket(s) story:

I was pulled over in Glendale supposedly going 41 in a 30.. or somewhere around there. I asked him if I could see the radar and he said "oh.. well my partner over there got you on radar..." I kind of looked at him like Really? Your partner got me on radar and YOU'RE pulling me over?

how can I fight this ticket?
Sounds like a nightmare situation, sorry to hear that... the people that work at the court are part of a huge, inefficient machine and the members of the general public are always the victims.

Anyhow, it isn't that uncommon for one officer to witness a violation and another officer to write the cite. Typically if that's the case, both officers' names will be on the ticket.

Unfortunately, as usual, its a he said, she said situation here. I think a good argument, assuming only one of the officer's names is on the citation, is that you were cited by someone who cannot prove the violation. The person operating the radar is the one that needs to be there to be able to substantiate that they know it was your vehicle, that they are certified to operate the radar, etc. etc.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm really familiar w/ Glendale, and the police here seem to be everywhere, and seem to take a pretty zero tolerance stance. I've been pulled over once in Glendale myself!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #3208
goofy10

My Ride: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Sounds like a nightmare situation, sorry to hear that... the people that work at the court are part of a huge, inefficient machine and the members of the general public are always the victims.

Anyhow, it isn't that uncommon for one officer to witness a violation and another officer to write the cite. Typically if that's the case, both officers' names will be on the ticket.

Unfortunately, as usual, its a he said, she said situation here. I think a good argument, assuming only one of the officer's names is on the citation, is that you were cited by someone who cannot prove the violation. The person operating the radar is the one that needs to be there to be able to substantiate that they know it was your vehicle, that they are certified to operate the radar, etc. etc.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm really familiar w/ Glendale, and the police here seem to be everywhere, and seem to take a pretty zero tolerance stance. I've been pulled over once in Glendale myself!
Thanks a lot man. Yeah I only see 1 officer's name down and it's the guy that pulled me over. Hopefully I'll have a chance. I'm hoping he won't even show up since it's been almost a year!

I hate Glendale. Cops are assh*les here. I'm moving to Newport Beach soon so it's all good. lol
goofy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #3209
thesbwhonamedusue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Two things... Ask for my Sgt, and I'll turn a cite/field release into a custodial arrest (take you to the station, tow your car) and figure out what else I can get you for. 2nd, play dumb, but I talk to people all day long, and I promise, at some point, with a long repeated line of questioning you'll either slip up or finally give in, then you're subject to arrest for giving an officer false information.

What the guy did was right...you can argue that you don't like the law, and that's fine, but 'otacon' was right being honest, and the cop just cited someone for an actual violation of CA law (no matter how petty you may think that law is)
wow, that hit a nerve
thats pretty vindictive. and an abuse of power.
taking someone to jail for having a valid out of state license ya' sure pal! if i had you call your sgt. in for that, he would just make fun of you in front of everyone involved. especially when california is having such a hard time with tourism they have to run tv commercials 4 states out in almost every direction to get people to visit. plus paying for print ads in texas monthly(thats pretty bad)
besides, you cant prove that someone isnt stupid and cop questions really arent hard to get through. at all!!

Last edited by thesbwhonamedusue; 12-03-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #3210
OHCM3

Quote:
wow, that hit a nerve
thats pretty vindictive. and an abuse of power.
taking someone to jail for having a valid out of state license ya' sure pal! if i had you call your sgt. in for that, he would just make fun of you in front of everyone involved. especially when california is having such a hard time with tourism they have to run tv commercials 4 states out in almost every direction to get people to visit. plus paying for print ads in texas monthly(thats pretty bad)
besides, you cant prove that someone isnt stupid and cop questions really arent hard to get through. at all!!
You can call it an abuse of power, but it is a legal arrest. Trust me bro, every supervisor I have backs me up 100% so long as I'm not violating the law or policy. If there is a valid reason to take you to jail, and I want to do it, there isn't a supervisor in my nearly 10,000 person department (the largest Sheriff's department in the world, mind you) that wouldn't back me up. I appreciate your opinions on things, but understand that what I'm telling you is the reality. You're welcome to come test it out, there's always room for one more at the inn I'm actually a very, very cool cop, and nearly everyone I deal with (even those I arrest) would tell you that, but challenging or questioning an officer/deputy when they're in the course of their duties is usually not a great idea. This is why we have a court system, that is your opportunity for you to properly question/challenge, a citation or arrest.

As for "you cant prove that someone isnt stupid and cop questions really arent hard to get through. ", trust me, people with well above average intelligence slip up, even on very simple questions. And, frankly, most people are decent and would tell me the truth from the start anyway. Those people are the ones that would receive the most leniency from me.

Last edited by OHCM3; 12-03-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #3211
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
^^^
the officer pulling You over is not somebody You want to fcuk with

assisting with law enforcement duties in New Orleans after Katrina (I got to cruise around with a NOPD, coolest three days of my trip there, dude had a major arsenal in his trunk) the officer I was traveling around with stopped a guy that was engaging in a couple different illegal activities. After a few minutes, he told us that he wanted to speak to the officer's supervisor, because he was being treated unfairly. Officer Shaney told him he was more than happy to let him speak to the sergeant, all he had to do was put the bracelets on, hop in the back of the car, and he could see him real soon.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 12-03-2008 at 06:09 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #3212
thesbwhonamedusue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
^^^
the officer pulling You over is not somebody You want to fcuk with

assisting with law enforcement duties in New Orleans after Katrina (I got to cruise around with a NOPD, coolest three days of my trip there, dude had a major arsenal in his trunk) the officer I was traveling around with stopped a guy that was engaging in a couple different illegal activities. After a few minutes, he told us that he wanted to speak to the officer's supervisor, because he was being treated unfairly. Officer Shaney told him he was more than happy to let him speak to the sergeant, all he had to do was put the bracelets on, hop in the back of the car, and he could see him real soon.
like that would have happened then, that was a disaster zone and they had to also call in the national guard and sean penn. im just saying, before we got off topic if you dont have anything to hide and are not carrying guns and /or drugs or any other stupid sh1t then you should have the benefit of the doubt when the guy had a valid out of state license.
even if he was there longer than 10 days he should have just said he was visiting. remember: kissing a55 leaves no minty aftertaste!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #3213
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
like that would have happened then, that was a disaster zone and they had to also call in the national guard and sean penn.
yes, I remember, I was part of the national guard that was there. And keeping the streets safe was still part of everybody's job. It was a step away from martial law, and we had the authority to do more or less anything we needed to.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #3214
2legit2quit

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Well after stumbling across this thread, and browsing through it i thought i might be useful, but as i read the responces from the officers ive found this pointless and all these cops are bragging about how much power they have and if you piss me off ill do this to you.. or if you have a radar detector ill give you a harder ticket come on.. arrogant abuses of power.. cops nowadays are government henchmen for the most corrupt nation the worlds every seen

my local police force are child rapest here links
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/RCMP%20Cover-up.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Judge%20Ramsey.htm
http://pacificcoast.net/~swag/Ramsay.htm

dont trust your police
2legit2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #3215
NOVAbimmer

^^^
that's what happens when You live in canada

Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #3216
2legit2quit

oh well im sure that this stuff is more widespread than you would think a friend of mine back in 1999 when i was high school was allegedly raped and murdered by local rcmp

http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%201.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%202.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%203.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%204.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%205.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%206.wmv
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Video/Lan...20Part%207.wmv
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #3217
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
yes, I remember, I was part of the national guard that was there. And keeping the streets safe was still part of everybody's job. It was a step away from martial law, and we had the authority to do more or less anything we needed to.
Thanks for your service...I can't even imagine what conditions you faced there

Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #3218
OHCM3

[QUOTE=2legit2quit;9010986]oh well im sure that this stuff is more widespread than you would think a friend of mine back in 1999 when i was high school was allegedly raped and murdered by local rcmp[QUOTE]

Not exactly breaking news that there are bad cops out there. In Los Angeles county alone there are nearly 30,000 cops (the same number as in the city of New York), and there are of course bound to be some bad ones. Keep in mind that police officers are just members of society, subject to the same issues of stress, mental disorders, and bad judgement. We always try to weed out those who don't deserve to work with us (out of all that apply, more than 95% are weeded out before graduating the academy), but some always slip through the cracks. Its very unfortunate, but is inevitable... Eventually the bad ones will hopefully end up in jail along with the people they arrested during their carreer

Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #3219
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
cops nowadays are government henchmen for the most corrupt nation the worlds every seen

dont trust your police
If you truely think that the US or Canada are the "most corrupt nation(s)"..., you really need to step back from your Mother's apron and read a little history, international news or go see the world. I'm sure you didn't mean it literally; there are billions of people that wish they had a system and the security that you and I enjoy.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #3220
2legit2quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
If you truely think that the US or Canada are the "most corrupt nation(s)"..., you really need to step back from your Mother's apron and read a little history, international news or go see the world. I'm sure you didn't mean it literally; there are billions of people that wish they had a system and the security that you and I enjoy.
go see the world eh? you travel the world extensively? . negating the fact ive traveled allover europe, traveled to mexico , and the united states. and im heading to asia next year. i dont have to travel anywhere to know that power corrupts. and im not gonna be a part of the corrupt system whether you see it or not politicians are setting us up so we can live like slaves just like "the billions that wish they had are system"

http://plawiuk.blogspot.com/2007/06/...ed-police.html

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa