E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #3241
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I remember that being all over the news awhile ago, had no idea that an E46 member was the officer, though

fun stuff
15 min of fame...sort of. Working in West Hollywood, I'm in TMZ every other day in the background of something...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #3242
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
15 min of fame...sort of. Working in West Hollywood, I'm in TMZ every other day in the background of something...
I guess the news reports just forgot to mention the fact that the officer drove a BMW

i figured that'd be important info
Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #3243
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
Can you write off my tint ticket plz

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #3244
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwns View Post
Can you write off my tint ticket plz
If you want to meet up with me I'll be more than willing to sign off a ticket that's been fixed

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #3245
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Frobie does CHP offer ride-a-longs?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #3246
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Of course they do!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #3247
BMW_Matt

Well, how long do you generally stay with a cop for a ride-a-long? A shift? A few hours?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #3248
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
^Depends on how long it takes to get to back to the police station.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #3249
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
^Depends on how long it takes to get to back to the police station.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #3250
frobie15

Quote:
Quote:
Well, how long do you generally stay with a cop for a ride-a-long? A shift? A few hours?
We do. You're supposed to be in the hiring process to do one, but if you know an officer personally, you can usually do one. And they normally last for an entire shift. But if you don't have that much time, you can do one for a couple of hours. I would suggest a minimum of one entire shift. I did two prior to getting hired. One on day shift, one on swing shift. The more you do, the better idea you'll have of what the job entails.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #3251
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
First of all, this should not be confused with the typical "I got a ticket, help me fight it" thread, because those are a waste of time and energy. I'm not looking for a free pass here, but I am looking for advice on how to proceed and if this all makes sense to you guys/gals.

Alright so I was driving home last night on the freeway, minding my business after dropping off a friend of mine who I went to dinner and a movie with. Long week, long day, all I wanted to do was go home and relax. I am in the # 3 lane and crown vic headlights in my rear view so I naturally check my speed...I was okay, but maybe at 72 or so, so I coast and casually switch over to my right. Headlights change lanes too. I go about a mile and a half in this lane, with cruise set to 65 and switch over to my right again, preparing to exit soon.

Then a red light is blaring in my mirror, and I'm getting pulled over. As I signal and move right, cop tells me to take next exit and pull off to the side. I comply. Lights in my damn face, and CHP officer approaches me. Blah blah blah license and reg.

Okay, so here's the part I need clarity on: He tells me I made an unsafe lane change, causing the person behind me in the new lane to step on their brakes to let me in. Now, while I am an experienced driver and am very conscious at all times behind the wheel, perhaps this individual braked as a reactive measure to increase their following distance (as usual). This in no way implies that I caused them to stop short (which is what the officer implied). After asking me if I had anything to drink and me telling him absolutely nothing at all, he proceeds to have me follow his pen with my eyes.

Long story short (or long), cop tells me he will issue me a citation for speeding and not for the lane change. I asked him how fast I was going, and he said "up to 80". First of all, he must've paced me because he was moving, not parked. Secondly, the entire time he was behind me, I was cruising at 65-72.

He asked me where I was headed and I told him home. My current address and the one on my license are different because my current address is temporary. He asked me to write it down for him, and the address I wrote down on some piece of scratch paper was what he put on the citation -- not the address on my driver license and DMV file.

Sorry for the long post but here's what I want to know:

1.) Is it legit that he issued me a ticket for something other than what he says he pulled me over for? If I went to court and said he pulled me over for the lane change, and he didn't put that on the ticket..does that get him in trouble? Also, does he need proof (radar, etc) to show I was in fact speeding?

2.) Since he put my temp. address and not my permanent DMV recorded address on the citation...does this matter? Any room for error?

I told the dude I am a law abiding citizen and while I realize having a flashy car is to my disadvantage, I really do not have a habit of speeding. I told him I'd had a long work week, had nothing to drink and was simply making my way home. I concluded by saying I don't like when people ask for or are given preferential treatment, however with all the drunk idiots out there weaving through lanes, surely I should be less of a target. I guess it's that time of year, and he had to make a quota. Sucks for me, and it'll suck for you. Be careful out there, and watch your speed. Thanks in advance for anyone with valid insight or opinions. Those who have nothing good to say, save it.

/end rant
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #3252
blackbeard

My Ride: Is stock : (
i am in need of advice, i recieved a ticket on lake silverwood by a san bernardino county sheriff for failure to terminate vehicle, the problem is he told me to take the craft out of the water and i didn. i have two identical jet skiis and he pulled me over later on the second craft stating it was the same one told to be taken off the lake. he was a real jerk about it (arrogant 21yr old) even made fun of my high school! My problem is my court date arrived and he didnt show up or file any ticket, they said he has up to a year to do so. well yesterday was the third time ive been to court for this as he keeps mailing me notices for change of court date only to not file ticket and mail me another notice two weeks later on the dot. my court date was yesterday and i came home today to find another notice to appear in court in feburary!!! that will be my 4th appearance!!! what do i do?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #3253
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucki83 View Post
First of all, this should not be confused with the typical "I got a ticket, help me fight it" thread, because those are a waste of time and energy. I'm not looking for a free pass here, but I am looking for advice on how to proceed and if this all makes sense to you guys/gals.

Alright so I was driving home last night on the freeway, minding my business after dropping off a friend of mine who I went to dinner and a movie with. Long week, long day, all I wanted to do was go home and relax. I am in the # 3 lane and crown vic headlights in my rear view so I naturally check my speed...I was okay, but maybe at 72 or so, so I coast and casually switch over to my right. Headlights change lanes too. I go about a mile and a half in this lane, with cruise set to 65 and switch over to my right again, preparing to exit soon.

Then a red light is blaring in my mirror, and I'm getting pulled over. As I signal and move right, cop tells me to take next exit and pull off to the side. I comply. Lights in my damn face, and CHP officer approaches me. Blah blah blah license and reg.

Okay, so here's the part I need clarity on: He tells me I made an unsafe lane change, causing the person behind me in the new lane to step on their brakes to let me in. Now, while I am an experienced driver and am very conscious at all times behind the wheel, perhaps this individual braked as a reactive measure to increase their following distance (as usual). This in no way implies that I caused them to stop short (which is what the officer implied). After asking me if I had anything to drink and me telling him absolutely nothing at all, he proceeds to have me follow his pen with my eyes.

Long story short (or long), cop tells me he will issue me a citation for speeding and not for the lane change. I asked him how fast I was going, and he said "up to 80". First of all, he must've paced me because he was moving, not parked. Secondly, the entire time he was behind me, I was cruising at 65-72.

He asked me where I was headed and I told him home. My current address and the one on my license are different because my current address is temporary. He asked me to write it down for him, and the address I wrote down on some piece of scratch paper was what he put on the citation -- not the address on my driver license and DMV file.

1.) Is it legit that he issued me a ticket for something other than what he says he pulled me over for? If I went to court and said he pulled me over for the lane change, and he didn't put that on the ticket..does that get him in trouble? Also, does he need proof (radar, etc) to show I was in fact speeding?

2.) Since he put my temp. address and not my permanent DMV recorded address on the citation...does this matter? Any room for error?

I told the dude I am a law abiding citizen and while I realize having a flashy car is to my disadvantage, I really do not have a habit of speeding. I told him I'd had a long work week, had nothing to drink and was simply making my way home. I concluded by saying I don't like when people ask for or are given preferential treatment, however with all the drunk idiots out there weaving through lanes, surely I should be less of a target. I guess it's that time of year, and he had to make a quota. Sucks for me, and it'll suck for you. Be careful out there, and watch your speed. Thanks in advance for anyone with valid insight or opinions. Those who have nothing good to say, save it.

/end rant
Oh sweet jesus he speaks!!! http://www.jesbeard.com/s13.htm
Pacing is a legal way to do it. Froobie has said eariler in this thread he does it all the time.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 12-13-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #3254
frobie15

Quote:

If you were to go to court and say that he told you he pulled you over for an unsafe lane change, and he never told you he was speeding, you probably aren't going to get very far. Now, there's an issue with the speed. If you know for a fact that you were never in excess of 72 (or 7 mph over the limit) then you could, arguably, have a defense. What speed did he cite you for? The, "Up to 80" is just him trying to "sell" you the ticket for the speed you were actually at.

And like what has already been said by other people (and me for that matter), pacing is a perfectly legitimate and incredibly easy way to obtain speed in major metropolitan areas. Where I work now (Interstate 5 in the middle of nowhere) it's a lot harder as there's only two lanes and I can't get out of your line of sight long enough to pace you without you seeing me and slowing down.

Quote:
Your "temporary address" is your current address. You actually could have been cited for not updating your information with the DMV within 10 days of moving. No real room for error here.

Quote:

/end rant
This stop seems like it was a check to see if you were DUI. If there's probable cause to pull you over and initiate an enforcement stop, then there's probable cause to issue a citation. Just because you're not DUI doesn't necessarily mean that you're not doing something illegal. I know that it sucks to get tickets for low amounts over the limit, or for moving violations like unsafe lane changes or following too closely, but most people violate these sections every single time they drive.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #3255
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
i am in need of advice, i recieved a ticket on lake silverwood by a san bernardino county sheriff for failure to terminate vehicle, the problem is he told me to take the craft out of the water and i didn. i have two identical jet skiis and he pulled me over later on the second craft stating it was the same one told to be taken off the lake. he was a real jerk about it (arrogant 21yr old) even made fun of my high school! My problem is my court date arrived and he didnt show up or file any ticket, they said he has up to a year to do so. well yesterday was the third time ive been to court for this as he keeps mailing me notices for change of court date only to not file ticket and mail me another notice two weeks later on the dot. my court date was yesterday and i came home today to find another notice to appear in court in feburary!!! that will be my 4th appearance!!! what do i do?
Am I understanding this correctly? You've actually been inside the courtroom three separate times? If you haven't then keep playing the game. If you have then the next time you're required to appear, take all of your documentation showing the number of times you've appeared, and show the judge. Ask him (or her) to dismiss the ticket as you've already missed ** hours of work so far in an attempt to fight the ticket. What's the worst that can happen in that situation? The judge doesn't dismiss it? Oh well! Then you're back to square one (or is it two) where you get to play the hurry up and wait game!

Thank you Sam
Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #3256
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
If you were to go to court and say that he told you he pulled you over for an unsafe lane change, and he never told you he was speeding, you probably aren't going to get very far. Now, there's an issue with the speed. If you know for a fact that you were never in excess of 72 (or 7 mph over the limit) then you could, arguably, have a defense. What speed did he cite you for? The, "Up to 80" is just him trying to "sell" you the ticket for the speed you were actually at.

And like what has already been said by other people (and me for that matter), pacing is a perfectly legitimate and incredibly easy way to obtain speed in major metropolitan areas. Where I work now (Interstate 5 in the middle of nowhere) it's a lot harder as there's only two lanes and I can't get out of your line of sight long enough to pace you without you seeing me and slowing down.

Your "temporary address" is your current address. You actually could have been cited for not updating your information with the DMV within 10 days of moving. No real room for error here.

This stop seems like it was a check to see if you were DUI. If there's probable cause to pull you over and initiate an enforcement stop, then there's probable cause to issue a citation. Just because you're not DUI doesn't necessarily mean that you're not doing something illegal. I know that it sucks to get tickets for low amounts over the limit, or for moving violations like unsafe lane changes or following too closely, but most people violate these sections every single time they drive.
Thank you very much for your input.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #3257
Nakzter
Love the Topaz

My Ride: TOPAZ blah...
Send a message via AIM to Nakzter Send a message via Yahoo to Nakzter
I've been thinking of buying some euro yellow headlights for my e30. Is this LEGAL or ILLEGAL in California? and if it is legal, around how many % of the officers know that it is?

Thanks
Nakzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #3258
BMW_Matt

Quote:

/end rant
Most department's police cars are calibrated every year max, so there isn't a good chance it was off...Sorry
Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #3259
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakzter View Post
I've been thinking of buying some euro yellow headlights for my e30. Is this LEGAL or ILLEGAL in California? and if it is legal, around how many % of the officers know that it is?

Thanks
To the best of my knowledge it's legal. But it will draw a lot of attention to your car which could result in, uhh, unwanted attention being drawn to your car. Simply meaning, if you have tinted windows they might go unnoticed. But now that your car has yellow headlights, a cop is going to do a double take and get you on tint/exhaust/front plate/whatever. Know what I mean?

Thank you Sam
Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #3260
frobie15

Quote:
Most department's police cars are calibrated every year max, so there isn't a good chance it was off...Sorry
Our cars are calibrated quarterly. Any less often than that and you're going to run into issues in court. However, some officers use dash mounted GPS units (my brother for one). Which are incredibly accurate. So even though his department doesn't calibrate their speedometers, he can still issue tickets for speeds that he paces.

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa