E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #3481
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcompm3 View Post
what are the laws on laser jamers, like these lets say:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/djnavid/ee-1.jpg
What's the point?

I mean, the cop is gonna see the speeds of all the passing cars, and it's gonna be like 66, 67, 70, 69, 72, and then you go by and the laser speed detector suddenly reads ERROR.

Also you can watch on the 4ngiefest video on the Leistung Motorwere website and at the end of the vid they get a speeding ticket verified by laser and their laser jammer didn't do anything.

But as for laws, it depends state by state. Some states allow it, others like CA don't.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #3482
Hellishness

My Ride: Interlagos M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenxeyezz View Post
Laser Jammers are 100% illegal in California. Other states may have different laws on that, Radar Detectors ARE legal in California, but again, may be different for other states.
slightly opposite meanings....what exactly were u getting at?
and wow this threads at 175 pages...is that the longest? i know that the pro deteiler one goes to like 120

'06 IB M3
2 E30 Verts
Hellishness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #3483
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post

Also you can watch on the 4ngiefest video on the Leistung Motorwere website and at the end of the vid they get a speeding ticket verified by laser and their laser jammer didn't do anything.

But as for laws, it depends state by state. Some states allow it, others like CA don't.
HOWEVER, the company will pay for the ticket if you get laser and it gets past it. (There disclaimer says something about you couldn't be in school zone, and couldn't be going over 20 or 30 over(can't remember)), however in cali they're ILLEGAL
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #3484
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
I have two fix it tickets on my car that's for sale. What happens if I sell the car without having first corrected it?

There would be no way to have it signed off because I wouldn't be in possession of the vehicle. How about fees for the court?
To my knowledge, as long as you have the documentation proving that you sold the car you don't have to get the tickets signed off. How much would the fine be?? I have no idea! Call the court and double check.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #3485
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellishness View Post
slightly opposite meanings....what exactly were u getting at?
Radar and laser detectors are perfectly legal in California. But Jammers are illegal. It's not opposite meanings, it's two different devices.

Quote:
and wow this threads at 175 pages...is that the longest? i know that the pro deteiler one goes to like 120
I'd like to think that it's one of the longest, but the sightings threads are huge. Then again, so are the local chat threads. As far as informative treads go, it might be the longest.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #3486
frobie15

Quote:
So if you pulled somebody over for no front plate, then they said they did have one, went to the front of their car and pulled up a fold-away license plate, what would you do? Would you still give them a ticket? If you gave them a fix-it ticket, could they just pull up the license plate and than have you sign off the fix-it ticket?
First off, this would require me to care about front plates....

But, if they folded it up after I stopped them, I'd write them a non-correctable ticket for no front plate. And I'd note on the ticket that it folded away. The better question would be, If you have a folding plate mount, wouldn't it be better to drive around with the plate displayed to avoid any chance of a ticket?

Thank you Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #3487
E46Rida

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to E46Rida
Thanks for this great thread!

Question...Are BLUE lamin-x for the headlights illegal?
E46Rida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #3488
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Rida View Post

I would guess anything involving the color blue and lighting is a legal no-no since police lighting is blue. There was that pretty funny thread in the General forum with that guy who got a ticket in north carolina for blue angel eyes.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 AM   #3489
greenxeyezz

My Ride: '03 M3 TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Radar and laser detectors are perfectly legal in California. But Jammers are illegal. It's not opposite meanings, it's two different devices.

Thank you for clarifying that, i thought I made it clear enough.

Now a question for you, which is kind of pondering me.

Tonight on the way home 5N right before the 91w maybe 2 or three exits. I was "traveling at the speed of traffic" at about 80 for being late at night, there were quite a lot of cars and I mean each traffic cluster consisted of 30 cars. As I am moving from the far left to the far right to get onto the 91, I see a car in the distance parked on the on ramp with its parking lights on. DING DING DING. I immediately think cop. My V1 has NO indication. I obviously let up on the gas to slow down even faster. By the time I pass the car, im doing 70-75. Still nothing from my V1. It is definitely a cop, CHP probably. I pass him, still nothing from the V1.

NO he did not leave his post after me.

No I didn't get pulled over.

My question is, WHAT WAS HE DOING THERE? Im obviously assuming trying to catch people speeding. I'd HOPE it wouldn't be to catch people using the car pool onramp as opposed to regular lane (1130pm at night, meter is off). The on ramp was downward sloping.

Did he just not have his radar on? Is my radar in a bad spot? Is it broken? Was he not going after the traffic but just the cars that come on that on ramp?

Or did my V1 just not pick up the radar? or maybe he had it turned off? Any insight please!
greenxeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #3490
LAWLence

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to LAWLence
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
To my knowledge, as long as you have the documentation proving that you sold the car you don't have to get the tickets signed off. How much would the fine be?? I have no idea! Call the court and double check.

Thanks, I'll give the court a call. I really appreciate the help from you guys in this thread... it seems like I'm always getting in trouble and you guys always have answers!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #3491
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenxeyezz View Post
Tonight on the way home 5N right before the 91w maybe 2 or three exits. I was "traveling at the speed of traffic" at about 80 for being late at night, there were quite a lot of cars and I mean each traffic cluster consisted of 30 cars. As I am moving from the far left to the far right to get onto the 91, I see a car in the distance parked on the on ramp with its parking lights on. DING DING DING. I immediately think cop. My V1 has NO indication. I obviously let up on the gas to slow down even faster. By the time I pass the car, im doing 70-75. Still nothing from my V1. It is definitely a cop, CHP probably. I pass him, still nothing from the V1.

NO he did not leave his post after me.

No I didn't get pulled over.

My question is, WHAT WAS HE DOING THERE? Im obviously assuming trying to catch people speeding. I'd HOPE it wouldn't be to catch people using the car pool onramp as opposed to regular lane (1130pm at night, meter is off). The on ramp was downward sloping.

Did he just not have his radar on? Is my radar in a bad spot? Is it broken? Was he not going after the traffic but just the cars that come on that on ramp?

Or did my V1 just not pick up the radar? or maybe he had it turned off? Any insight please!
I'll use a little bit of local knowledge to hopefully shed some light on this. The 5/91 interchange has been under construction for quite some time. And given the area and time of day it was most likely a unit that was getting into position for a Construction Zone Enhanced Enforcement Program (COZEEP) detail. The point of a COZEEP unit is to do in-view patrol (usually sitting inside of) at construction zones. They sit inside the cones with their lights on to encourage people to slow for the cone zone.

So that's most likely why he was where he was. Now for why your V1 didn't go off. He probably didn't have his radar unit on. I very rarely used radar when I worked in LA. It's been my experience that the V1 is very effective at detecting radar. In just under six years I've only written a radar/laser ticket to people with a V1 twice. For what it's worth, if I were going to buy a detector, it would be a Valentine.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #3492
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
Thanks, I'll give the court a call. I really appreciate the help from you guys in this thread... it seems like I'm always getting in trouble and you guys always have answers!
We can only try!! Thanks for the props!!

Thank you Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #3493
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Rida View Post

It would depend on the shade of blue. Something that's close to white (sort of like a brighter xenon bulb) you most likely wouldn't get hassled for. But if it's obviously blue you could get a ticket for it. Although technically anything that modifies the lighting on your car could be deemed illegal by the letter of the law.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #3494
aradeath

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aradeath
Ok, so I have been following this thread for a while and the kind officers here have provided us with some awesome information.

Now, I have a question.

I just found out (after talking with my insurance company) that I still have 1 point on my record for a speeding ticket that I got 2.5 years back. I completed traffic school for this and thought everything was OK. How would I go about having this point investigated (I can't imagine they would remove the point on the spot) and removed from my record?

Thanks

| 2006 e46 330Ci ZHP| [Sponsors] - ASPTuning - VMR | Wheels
| aFe CAI | eVo Sport UD Pulleys | Eisenmann Cat-back Race Exhaust | Powerchip Software |
| TechniK Gen3 Headers | Vorsteiner CF Hood | HKS Hypermax RS Coilovers | BMW Perf SSK |
| Sparco Evo2 seats | UUC LTW Flywheel & Cerametalic Clutch | Hamann Front Lip | Custom Willwood BBK |
aradeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #3495
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradeath View Post
I just found out (after talking with my insurance company) that I still have 1 point on my record for a speeding ticket that I got 2.5 years back. I completed traffic school for this and thought everything was OK. How would I go about having this point investigated (I can't imagine they would remove the point on the spot) and removed from my record?
I would think that you would have to physically go into the court and ask for a copy of your case file. If the info is in there then you'd probably have to go to the DMV tell them there's been a mistake. But, the point should be off your record after three years anyway...

Thank you Sam
Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #3496
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
no proof of insurance tickets are non correctable violations now?

i just got served an amendment to my 16028(a)vc correctable to a 16028(a)vc not correctable. I got two of these in the span of 3 days back in between insurances. even though i was insured i just didn't have the proof on me. wow i hope i could get it down to a correctable, i am totally piss broke right now.

thanks for the help.

also last quick question if want to move my tickets to a court that is closer to me. (i got the tickets in the area which i live yet the courts i'm being sent to are further then my closest court house) how would i go about doing this?

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 03-27-2009 at 05:34 AM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #3497
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
no proof of insurance tickets are non correctable violations now?

i just got served an amendment to my 16028(a)vc correctable to a 16028(a)vc not correctable. I got two of these in the span of 3 days back in between insurances. even though i was insured i just didn't have the proof on me. wow i hope i could get it down to a correctable, i am totally piss broke right now.

thanks for the help.

also last quick question if want to move my tickets to a court that is closer to me. (i got the tickets in the area which i live yet the courts i'm being sent to are further then my closest court house) how would i go about doing this?
I never knew that was correctable violation to begin with since it is like one of those required things to have in your car at all times just like your driver's license. For as long as I could remember it was just an outright ticket unlike no front plate or window tint.

And after your first ticket, why didn't you put an insurance card in your car or go online and print out something temporary at the very least?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #3498
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
I never knew that was correctable violation to begin with since it is like one of those required things to have in your car at all times just like your driver's license. For as long as I could remember it was just an outright ticket unlike no front plate or window tint.

And after your first ticket, why didn't you put an insurance card in your car or go online and print out something temporary at the very least?
16028(a)cvc is a correctable violation. So long as you are able to show proof of coverage at the time of the spot, the cite will be dismissed with just the administrative fee assessed. If you can't show proof of coverage, fines are about $750.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #3499
greenxeyezz

My Ride: '03 M3 TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
16028(a)cvc is a correctable violation. So long as you are able to show proof of coverage at the time of the spot, the cite will be dismissed with just the administrative fee assessed. If you can't show proof of coverage, fines are about $750.
So right now i AM insured. but my piece of paper that says I am, was damaged, and I am sending for another one. The policy number is the SAME. Obviously the police usually cannot look up this if its "up to date" or not.

So if I do get a citation for NOT having valid insurance, I would have to send in a copy of my piece of paper stating "insured x date to x date" and as long as the citation was DURING that period, i would be able to dismiss it with a processing fee?
greenxeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #3500
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:

yeah i know. i was stupid to be honest with you. i wasn't expecting to get pulled over twice in a 3 days span. lol. turns out that i did. FTL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
thanks you!

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa