E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #3541
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
i have had something very very similar happen to me and the cop just pulled me out of class and talked to me and tried to scare me also she said she couldnt give me a ticket, but someone also reported me for almost hitting a gandma and doing 80+ in a 35 which was so far from the truth its not even funny. i was doing about 15 over and passed some kids on a side walk... i guess some people dont like being tailgatted.
haha phew...half way through the day followed by a long prom weekend...im still tense. i can deal with him pulling me out and *****ing at me but i can't get another ticket

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #3542
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIREP View Post
Im thinking of joining the Police Reserves, can you transfer and eventually become a full-time Officer? Thanks
You can...when you become a reserve in the state of CA, there are three different levels recognized by the Peace Officer Standards of Training (POST) the governing body the oversees certified departments (which is probably 99% of CA departments). Each level includes more classroom/physical/firearms training and testing. The lowest level is a Level 3, which gets you a badge and gun but you can only work directed assignments and admin. Level 2 allows you to work 2nd person in a patrol car doing routine patrol and other assignments. Level 1 is the same as a full time peace officer and gives you your full basic POST certificate and the ability to work by yourself in a patrol car.

If you are a Level 1 reserve, most departments will take you as a transfer w/o having to go through the entire academy process again.

Check out your local agency's website, they likely will have a lot of info on reserves if your department has a reserve company. I'm one of the people who istructs the reserve academy for LASD, so I can always answer more specific questions via PM as they come up.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #3543
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
would it be possible for me to pay bail, do the trial by written declaration and if i were to lose, go to court and request to get the money back and do community service or ask for leniency and have the fine cut a partial refund? have you ever heard of any scenarios like this and the outcome? thank you all...
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #3544
chris98891

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
haha phew...half way through the day followed by a long prom weekend...im still tense. i can deal with him pulling me out and *****ing at me but i can't get another ticket
no ticket for me

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #3545
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
ok guys hopefully im being paranoid but here goes:

i was on my way to a school meeting and was running a little late so i had to speed a little (50/35) which is pretty normal around here...but as im driving i pass a durango undercover car (who the hell knew?) and got hit by Ka as he drove by (thanks V1). i saw him brake a little but there was a little traffic behind me and he couldnt turn around. now the kicker: this cop comes to my school all the time to hang out with our school officer. im sure he saw my high school tag, my e46 stickers, my cca badge, and probably my plate. is it possible that while hes visiting the school, he comes over and drops off the ticket on my car in the parking lot? or am i just worrying for nothing?

thanks man!
There's pretty much nothing the officer can do about it after the fact other than talk to you. Keep in mind that if the officer knows that you're a speeder, he'll start looking for you. And if you frequent the same streets at the same times of day, he'll hammer you for every little thing he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
i have had something very very similar happen to me and the cop just pulled me out of class and talked to me and tried to scare me also she said she couldnt give me a ticket, but someone also reported me for almost hitting a gandma and doing 80+ in a 35 which was so far from the truth its not even funny. i was doing about 15 over and passed some kids on a side walk... i guess some people dont like being tailgatted.
Unfortunately, people don't always call in a report things so accurately. However, there's a chance that you could have been going a little faster than 15 over. And people who aren't trained, aren't always that good at visual speed estimations.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #3546
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIREP View Post
Im thinking of joining the Police Reserves, can you transfer and eventually become a full-time Officer? Thanks
It depends on the agency. To be a reserve officer you have to have completed an academy anyway. So the idea of becoming a full-time officer after being a reserve is usually not an issue. Most reserve officers do it for the fun of it. They have another job that pays more money than being a full-time officer does.

Chris answered it a lot better than I could.

Thank you Sam

Last edited by frobie15; 04-25-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #3547
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
would it be possible for me to pay bail, do the trial by written declaration and if i were to lose, go to court and request to get the money back and do community service or ask for leniency and have the fine cut a partial refund? have you ever heard of any scenarios like this and the outcome? thank you all...
I haven't heard of anything like this. But doing a TBD does allow you to go to court later. You'd probably have to go to court afterward and not be able to make your requests via a letter.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #3548
frobie15

Quote:
no ticket for me
Good!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #3549
chris98891

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Good!
definitely a weight off my back...proms this weekend..and adding another ticket to my ticket repertoire definitely wouldn't make my dad happy. (only had one ticket previously...still wouldn't get off easy)

it makes me so mad because normally i keep it at 5 over, and of course the one day that i see a cop, im speeding significantly. damn.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #3550
frobie15

Quote:
normally i keep it at 5 over
Then why do you have a Valentine?

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #3551
J10b

My Ride: 99 Mroadster e46m3
Hey Guys. I am buying a car from a Private Seller in Cali. I can't get temp plates from Cali cuz they dont have them and Im not a resident. I cant get temp plates from my state because i need a bill of sale and a title. Will the bill of sale for the 3 hour drive back home suffice? Or do you have any ideas how to get it home?
J10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #3552
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J10b View Post
Hey Guys. I am buying a car from a Private Seller in Cali. I can't get temp plates from Cali cuz they dont have them and Im not a resident. I cant get temp plates from my state because i need a bill of sale and a title. Will the bill of sale for the 3 hour drive back home suffice? Or do you have any ideas how to get it home?
Bill of sale and completed change of ownership documentation should suffice. Just don't get pulled over

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #3553
J10b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
What's the point?

I mean, the cop is gonna see the speeds of all the passing cars, and it's gonna be like 66, 67, 70, 69, 72, and then you go by and the laser speed detector suddenly reads ERROR.

Also you can watch on the 4ngiefest video on the Leistung Motorwere website and at the end of the vid they get a speeding ticket verified by laser and their laser jammer didn't do anything.

But as for laws, it depends state by state. Some states allow it, others like CA don't.
its not gonna read error. Its just not going to show a reading. Im not going to argue about it though. Although I do have 1000's of hours working with the best Radar in the world. Its better to have the knowledge to proof it wasnt you that was giving them the reading... or just not speed. Unless you have a doppler radar that allows you to track the blips you have painted you as a cop do NOT know which one of the 30 cars is speeding. You can however use your head and think" Gee I have 82 and that black m3 is walking away from people.

Oh and for resumes I spend most of my current career doing everything I can to defeat the best radars in the world. Its a life or death thing for me.

Your fighting a ticket isnt about proving the guy wrong its about funding the state. Its pretty easy to argue you may not have been the person speeding, but the court won't care they only care about $$$ so you were speeding, pay your fine and hope he will change it to a non mover.

Radar is like a paint gun, it sprays out waves on a freq and measures it back. "painting" you. There is no radar gun out there good enough to concentrate a single beam on your moving car without major spill over of the waves that can bounce back causing double echos and other thing. Thats what laser does.

Best way to test it is find one of those " YOUR SPEED " Signs get a larger vehicle next to you and floor it. You will happily note that you are at 90 passing it and the Radar will still say 54 but be flickering. However any cop worth his salt will think.... there is NO WAY that car is going 54 and use the larger Cars 54 speed to better estimate YOUR speed.

Last edited by J10b; 04-25-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #3554
J10b

Quote:
Bill of sale and completed change of ownership documentation should suffice. Just don't get pulled over

Cant see why I would. Its gonna be the most babied M3 out there. I guess mach1 is enough for my speed fix. I am happy at 70. maybe 78-80 in a 75 for timing. Makes it 1.2 miles per min... mental thing I get to my destination a tad quicker.

Hey we live in a beautiful land... LETS LOOK AT IT!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #3555
frobie15

Quote:
its not gonna read error. Its just not going to show a reading. Im not going to argue about it though. Although I do have 1000's of hours working with the best Radar in the world. Its better to have the knowledge to proof it wasnt you that was giving them the reading... or just not speed. Unless you have a doppler radar that allows you to track the blips you have painted you as a cop do NOT know which one of the 30 cars is speeding. You can however use your head and think" Gee I have 82 and that black m3 is walking away from people.

Oh and for resumes I spend most of my current career doing everything I can to defeat the best radars in the world. Its a life or death thing for me.

Your fighting a ticket isnt about proving the guy wrong its about funding the state. Its pretty easy to argue you may not have been the person speeding, but the court won't care they only care about $$$ so you were speeding, pay your fine and hope he will change it to a non mover.

Radar is like a paint gun, it sprays out waves on a freq and measures it back. "painting" you. There is no radar gun out there good enough to concentrate a single beam on your moving car without major spill over of the waves that can bounce back causing double echos and other thing. Thats what laser does.
You bring up several good points about the faults of radar. However, with visual estimation and proper use of the radar equipment you can ensure that you know exactly which car is going a certain speed. And if you can't get a reading on the car, there's always a bumper or odometer pace.

Quote:
Best way to test it is find one of those " YOUR SPEED " Signs get a larger vehicle next to you and floor it. You will happily note that you are at 90 passing it and the Radar will still say 54 but be flickering. However any cop worth his salt will think.... there is NO WAY that car is going 54 and use the larger Cars 54 speed to better estimate YOUR speed.
However, unlike the "your speed" signs which only indicate the strongest signal, the radar in our cars have two displays. The target window (or strongest signal), and the fastest window. So in your scenario, the target would read 54, and the fastest would read 90.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #3556
chris98891

Quote:
Then why do you have a Valentine?
peace of mind. i went through a pretty bad speeding phase with my rx65, and now every time i pass a cop my heart drops and i slam on the brakes no matter how fast im going. im more comfortable knowing. and it also bugs me if i dont know whether they are shooting me or not.

and i speed a little more on the interstate (10-15 over)

Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #3557
frobie15

Quote:
peace of mind. i went through a pretty bad speeding phase with my rx65, and now every time i pass a cop my heart drops and i slam on the brakes no matter how fast im going. im more comfortable knowing. and it also bugs me if i dont know whether they are shooting me or not.

and i speed a little more on the interstate (10-15 over)
Fair enough. Just keep in mind that having the V1 isn't going to get you any warnings!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #3558
J10b

You won't get a signal if the driver knows how to mask. On top of that you are always going to get arguable signals from all kinds of objects. Waves bounce differently off different objects. There is no way to pinpoint which part of the object or WHICH object is indeed speeding. You could be getting a boat in the background or even a birds wings ( a stretch but completely feasible). Water For an instance will totally throw it for a loop. I have WAY more powerful radar than you have. I glow green at night. I can bring in charts that will spin your head and have you begging for Lasers. Most LEOs think of radar as a click and point, there are so many things that go into it. Every radar except phased array gets fooled by podium effects and a host of other things. Depending on your angle you can use that to your favor. It can get hosed by angles and if both vehicles are in line when the waves hit its going to take the bigger return all day. Also radio and other interference in the area can raise heck with your readings. Again Im not giving the kiddies any more info than they need. All this will do is give them enough to look foolish so far.

But I think we all know the point of speed enforcement is only partly safety. Its for funding. You raise fines because your state is running out of money, its not a knock one the cop handing out the ticket its the lack of checks and balances in the budget and they spend more than they have so they up fees. My personal gripe is Fishing, the billions the sport brings and the ramps and waterways are a disgrace, so where does the money go? Just like spending tickets, sure as $@#$#@ not to those that need it, nope it goes to pet projects completely unrelated to the event or division that brought the $$$ in. Ok you can argue some money goes back but not what is needed. You'd all have z06s for patrol cars if it did.

Again I don't speed in the sense of the word. I usually GPS and radar my speed to ensure my speedo is right. I'd rather keep the speed limit on twisties than mash the gas in a straight line. The M car is handy for kill avoidance when the idiot texting next me is smacking her kid and trying not to spill her Starbucks, while bouncing baby Ian on her knee and steering with the other, and comes into my lane.

You speed pay the fine and don't PM me for ways to get out of it. First, if I did I would be condoning it. Next, you are getting the ticket to "fix your roads" just pay it. AND SLOW DOWN, I dont want you killing me, my wife, or dog. I could see if it was cool, but its not. Do it the one time and max out your speedo tell your friends and be done with it.

Last edited by J10b; 04-25-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #3559
frobie15

Quote:
You won't get a signal if the driver knows how to mask. On top of that you are always going to get arguable signals from all kinds of objects. Waves bounce differently off different objects. There is no way to pinpoint which part of the object or WHICH object is indeed speeding. You could be getting a boat in the background or even a birds wings ( a stretch but completely feasible). Water For an instance will totally throw it for a loop. I have WAY more powerful radar than you have. I glow green at night. I can bring in charts that will spin your head and have you begging for Lasers. Most LEOs think of radar as a click and point, there are so many things that go into it. Every radar except phased array gets fooled by podium effects and a host of other things. Depending on your angle you can use that to your favor. It can get hosed by angles and if both vehicles are in line when the waves hit its going to take the bigger return all day. Also radio and other interference in the area can raise heck with your readings. Again Im not giving the kiddies any more info than they need. All this will do is give them enough to look foolish so far.
Fortunately, case law says that we don't have to know how the unit works, only how to properly work it! There are several common factors that influence radar being used for speed enforcement, and I know how to ensure that those factors aren't in place after I activate the unit. And I thank you for not going on and on about how to fight the tickets, there are other websites for that!

Quote:
But I think we all know the point of speed enforcement is only partly safety. Its for funding. You raise fines because your state is running out of money, its not a knock one the cop handing out the ticket its the lack of checks and balances in the budget and they spend more than they have so they up fees. My personal gripe is Fishing, the billions the sport brings and the ramps and waterways are a disgrace, so where does the money go? Just like spending tickets, sure as $@#$#@ not to those that need it, nope it goes to pet projects completely unrelated to the event or division that brought the $$$ in. Ok you can argue some money goes back but not what is needed. You'd all have z06s for patrol cars if it did.
It's not speed only that causes traffic collisions. In the area that I work it's usually some sort of unsafe turning movement that causes the collision. HOWEVER, speed is definitely a contributing factor to them. At the least it causes collisions to be worse than they could be, or injuries to be worse than they need to be. Again, I'm not talking about speeding tickets for 45mph in a 30 mph zone, but rather 90mph in a 70mph zone.

Quote:
Again I don't speed in the sense of the word. I usually GPS and radar my speed to ensure my speedo is right. I'd rather keep the speed limit on twisties than mash the gas in a straight line. The M car is handy for kill avoidance when the idiot texting next me is smacking her kid and trying not to spill her Starbucks, while bouncing baby Ian on her knee and steering with the other, and comes into my lane.

You speed pay the fine and don't PM me for ways to get out of it. First, if I did I would be condoning it. Next, you are getting the ticket to "fix your roads" just pay it. AND SLOW DOWN, I dont want you killing me, my wife, or dog. I could see if it was cool, but its not. Do it the one time and max out your speedo tell your friends and be done with it.
Very well put! But I'd suggest finding a closed course to max out the speedo. Even when it seems safe to do it on a public road there's always the chance of a dog or cat or coyote running out in front of you. Then you're screwed no matter what!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #3560
greenxeyezz

My Ride: '03 M3 TiAg
as most of these questions here are about speeding, I am going to ask a question, that well, may test the limits of what you feel.

I am going to make this brief and give examples.

Scenario 1: Street driving, lets say 3 and 3 no middle median (the median is "trees")

1-2-3||| 3-2-1 are the lanes. S bound and N bound to make it easier.

There are turn left and turn right breaks, and a car wants to go North bound coming from WEST street, has to cross SOUTH bound 3 lanes and enter to lane # 3 on NORTH bound.

If I am driving on North bound 3 and car decides to just book it in front of me, cutting me off, i SLAM on my breaks and avoid ALL accidents of any cars behind me HOPEFULLY and around me, or cautiously avoid it by seeing him and ANTICIPATING a dumbass (excuse my language) ****ing retarding merge.

Accident avoid, idiot driver lives for now, probably doesn't even know or care with what he did.

My car good, his car good, everyone good.

ME = win
HIM = win

Scenario 2:

Same situation, but this time, no time to stop, try and swerve, we hit. His fault, no insurance, I am screwed, my car is damaged, people are hurt, he lives he doesn't care and doesn't pay the price. Nothing happens, broke ass degenerate cant sue.

Me = Lose
Him = Win

Scenario 3:
I have a reinforced double/triple titanium/steel/toughest **** ever bumper grill on a 4000lb truck.
Same situation, I see car, do not change speed, BAM! to his car.

My car is fine, maybe a few scratches on the steel, just buff them out, or leave them in to show age.
No insurance again for him, his car damaged to ****, my car 100% good, me 100% uninjured, maybe he is hurt who knows, who cares.

ME= win
Him = lose.

In scenario 3, what would happen?

Going on with that, obviously the accident was HIS fault.

Now It happens again, with another situation, and I "act" like I couldn't properly avoid the accident, and get in another one, again OTHER DRIVER IS AT FAULT, what would happen?

NOw you may ask, why?

I feel there are many many many bad drivers that cause many many many bad accidents, and get "away" with the accident, myself have been involved in one, and I have known dozens and dozens of people with same issues.

Too many people drive completely absentminded, with little to no insurance, never pay for their AT FAULT accidents, and harm the good driving people, causing their insurance premiums to go up, lose cars, medical bills, etc etc.

Why not put them in OUR shoes?
greenxeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa