E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #341
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
As far as the fine/bail amount, it depends on the VC section that he wrote you up for... My guess is it'll be $350 (for 27 mph over the speed limit).

And lastly, there's a reason he wrote you up for 97mph instead of say.... 95mph
( @ 95mph = 25 miles over the speed limit; the fine would have been $175)...

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Cali
Dang Speeder... You have more knowledge on what happens after you get/give the ticket than I do! I'm sure everyone else on here appreciates all that you've gone through to have, err, acquired so much knowledge

The fine is all about "brackets". 1-9mph over, 10-19, 20-25. Something like that. They're all different fines. If people are cool with me, I usually cut them a break on the ammount over the limit. That way they're less likely to take me to court. But, if I feel like it, I'll sign 'em up for their actual speed, so they get hit with the big fine, and I get overtime out of it
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #342
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calledig1tal
This citation took place along the I-5 going up north to SF. The wording of locatio is unclear but it says something like IB I.5 Phelps. Beat: 3. Area: 495
Executed at place: Freco. The court address is in... what looks to be Coaltalga, CA 93210.

and yes it says within 60 days on the bottom.
Executed at: Freco = Fresno County. And the court is in Coalinga..... Which is where I'm tranfering to in May!! Bwahaha, I get to start jacking you guys up

You may want to start putting E46Fanatics stickers/license plate frames/whatever that will identify you as a member here on your cars. You never know what you might get out of with proper identification

Last edited by frobie15; 04-08-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #343
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calledig1tal
Call the office and what? Request for something to be sent to my house? The cop explicitly said something would be mailed to me. I'm so confused :[ i just wanna pay it and get it over with haha.
I promise the cop said "should receive something in the mail." Not "would receive." We're not going to make promises for the court. Just follow the links that Speeder posted up, and find out how much you need to pay. And, like the ticket says, do it within 60 days.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #344
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Dang Speeder... You have more knowledge on what happens after you get/give the ticket than I do! I'm sure everyone else on here appreciates all that you've gone through to have, err, acquired so much knowledge
I think the the California Superior Court system is more "appreciative" of my regular contributions and $$ support

I've said this before but I've paid good money to aquire that knowledge ... you on the other hand got paid to learn it. honestly, I like your way better.

Quote:
The fine is all about "brackets". 1-9mph over, 10-19, 20-25. Something like that. They're all different fines.
You're exactly right Frobie ... it's actually:
1-15mph over -- fine amount $99
16-25mph over -- fine amount $175
26mph (or more) over -- fine amount $350
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #345
frobie15

Quote:
I think the the California Superior Court system is more "appreciative" of my regular contributions and $$ support

I've said this before but I've paid good money to aquire that knowledge ... you on the other hand got paid to learn it. honestly, I like your way better.
I like my way better, too

Quote:
You're exactly right Frobie ... it's actually:
1-15mph over -- fine amount $99
16-25mph over -- fine amount $175
26mph (or more) over -- fine amount $350
See. I knew there was a reason why I write people for 80 in a 65 rather than there actual speed (when it's faster than 80, that is.)
Old 04-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #346
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
It all depends on your record; and when the last time was that you went to traffic school. If it's been over 18 months, just pay the fine and go to traffic school. It's like having to pay your dues to join the "speeders club"
Sorry Dude

but those who qualify for Traffic School are NOT eligible to join my club
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #347
frobie15

Quote:
Sorry Dude

but those who qualify for Traffic School are NOT eligible to join my club
You're just part of the few, the proud, the speeders...

You're club IS on a higher level than most, but that doesn't mean they can't join, right?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #348
LaShaniqua

My Ride: 325
frobie15 , I have just read these 2 Washington drivers caught speeding in Oregon on their way to California to the fest.

The Oregon law can punish 30 - 90 day suspension and fine of $1,100.

Q: being them from WA, can Oregon police still impose the license suspension of drivers from other state ?

I'm pretty sure the fine will be imposed.

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514181
LaShaniqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 AM   #349
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaShaniqua
Q: being them from WA, can Oregon police still impose the license suspension of drivers from other state ?
Yes.

If you get pulled over and cited, it doesn't matter what state your Driver's License is issued in, the fines are the same. As far as your License being suspended, I have no idea. The points for the tickets might transfer across state lines, but the suspension probably won't. You can always contact your local court, or DMV for more accurate information.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #350
TheTuan

My Ride: 2002 M3 Alpine White
Hey Frobie....keep up the good work...

Q: I drove up to vegas last weekend, and was wondering: When there is a slow truck lane available, is it an infraction if the driver use the lane that is marked: slow trunk lane as a passing lane? These lanes are typical for uphill travels.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 AM   #351
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTuan
Q: I drove up to vegas last weekend, and was wondering: When there is a slow truck lane available, is it an infraction if the driver use the lane that is marked: slow trunk lane as a passing lane? These lanes are typical for uphill travels.
Nope, not as far as I know. The lane is separated by a solid white line, right? At least that's how it's set-up on the Grapevine (I-5). The lane is there so that the trucks that are traveling at a slow rate of speed will use it rather than the lane to the left of it. There's nothing wrong with a car to using that lane. I try to stay out of them just because they're usually torn-up by the big-rig traffic, and, you'll get caught over there boxed in by two trucks at some point. Then you lose all your momentum
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #352
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Quote:
Executed at: Freco = Fresno County. And the court is in Coalinga..... Which is where I'm tranfering to in May!! Bwahaha, I get to start jacking you guys up

You may want to start putting E46Fanatics stickers/license plate frames/whatever that will identify you as a member here on your cars. You never know what you might get out of with proper identification
I was thinking about you when we cut through on Highway 198 from 101 to I-5 from Bimmer_fest. 198 is a cool road, but we will for sure take 152 and not end up 70 miles south next time. lol

Oh by the way, there was what seemed to be a pretty cool Chippy patrolling 198. He nabbed two cars when we cruised by, once when we drove by and another after we pulled over and he waved back after we waved. So then, further up he got another car, but seemed to only warn them because there's no way he could have written them up in the amount of time we got back in our cars from taking pictures. Also, my sig was taken at the very beginning of 198 from 101.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #353
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i
I was thinking about you when we cut through on Highway 198 from 101 to I-5 from Bimmer_fest. 198 is a cool road, but we will for sure take 152 and not end up 70 miles south next time. lol
How did 198 get you 70 miles south Oh wait, you went eastbound on it. From the valley, the best road to/from the coast is SR-41. Turn off after the Jack Ranch Cafe (hey, you could even stop and take pictures of the James Dean Memorial), and enjoy the roller-coaster until you hit the twisties. It's one of the most rythmic roads I've ever driven/riden on. There's an awesome hairpin (well posted) and about the best equivilent of the corkscrew (from Laguna Seca) on a public road that I know of. Of all the times I've been on it, I think I've seen another car five times! West of SR-101 there's usually too much traffic to make it fun, but the scenery is incredible. If anyone wants to do a day trip to Pismo for some Splash Cafe Clam Chowder this summer, hit me up...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #354
325 & 55

My Ride: 2001 325Ci Step
Quote:
Wow, I cruised thru Coalinga with Brad323i on 198 the other day. Are you ready for the culture shock.

Wish you the best at the new Station and hope you've stocked up on "Wranglers and Ropers"

By the way, are you slowly working your way (transfering) up to Nor-Cal (East Bay or Sacto (HQ) area?? I realize it takes some years to accomplish.

Good luck with the new assignment and be "safe" out there. I've been 10-10 for a few years now, worked with your guys for years at SACCATS.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #355
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 & 55
Wow, I cruised thru Coalinga with Brad323i on 198 the other day. Are you ready for the culture shock.

Wish you the best at the new Station and hope you've stocked up on "Wranglers and Ropers"
Yeah, the culture shock is gonna be weird. I'm used to taking at least a crash a day if the sun's out, up there they take a crash a week
I guess I'll just have to keep myself busy with writing tickets
As for W's & R's.... Yeah..... I don't even like country music all that much. I think the Diesel shoes are going to freak some people out

Quote:
By the way, are you slowly working your way (transfering) up to Nor-Cal (East Bay or Sacto (HQ) area?? I realize it takes some years to accomplish.

Good luck with the new assignment and be "safe" out there. I've been 10-10 for a few years now, worked with your guys for years at SACCATS.
Nope, the Valley is my final destination. At least for now. I wouldn't mind trying to get up to the academy to do some EVOC training, but other than that, I'll keep wearing the "band pants" everyday. It's going to be weird out in "cow country" when compared to LaLa Land.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #356
DiLioPi

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Send a message via MSN to DiLioPi Send a message via Yahoo to DiLioPi
Questions:

1. Do you pull motorist over for talking and holding a cell phone to their ears? I hate those people who's on the fast lane and talking on the cellphone at the same time. They usually drop their speed to below 60 in the #1 lane.

2. What's the law of a car being too low? Can you get a ticket for it? What about those trucks that are too high? Can they get tickets too? I got blinded for most of the times when driving in front of this high-rise trucks at night.

Thanks!
DiLioPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #357
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLPeng
1. Do you pull motorist over for talking and holding a cell phone to their ears? I hate those people who's on the fast lane and talking on the cellphone at the same time. They usually drop their speed to below 60 in the #1 lane.
Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about talking on your cell phone while driving. There's talk of making it an added fine if you do something else illegal while you're on the phone. I guess in the situation you described, they could be impeding traffic, but it would depend on traffic flow and what not.

Quote:
2. What's the law of a car being too low? Can you get a ticket for it? What about those trucks that are too high? Can they get tickets too? I got blinded for most of the times when driving in front of this high-rise trucks at night.
The law for being too low is this. No portion of your vehicle can extend below the lowest portion of the wheel. So, if you have tires with a sidewall height of one inch, then your car can be one inch off the ground. If you have a tire that is three inches tall, then your car has to be three inches off the ground, as a minimum.

Lifted trucks have several rules they have to follow. The headlights can only be fifty something inches off the ground. The frame can only be 36 inches off the ground, with a maximum of five inches between the top of the frame rail and the floor board. In addition, there is a requirement to maintain your headlights in a properly adjusted position. It bugs me, too, when they get behind you, but every so often I'll stop one and break out the tape measure
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #358
titomolotov

My Ride: 328CI 200
i agree with you, i was driving to san diego from ontario the other day and this huge truck was driving behind me and i'm pretty sure he had his headlights upgraded beacuse i could not see for sh@##$%t.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #359
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomolotov
i agree with you, i was driving to san diego from ontario the other day and this huge truck was driving behind me and i'm pretty sure he had his headlights upgraded beacuse i could not see for sh@##$%t.
Yeah, when I'm off duty and one of these things catches up to me, I move over and let 'em by. I hate goofballs that have their highbeams on during the day, too (unless it's a motorcycle).
Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #360
JimboM3

My Ride: 99 e36 328i Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimboM3
Hey Frobie15..........is this legal? Do all cops do this?
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=105024
JimboM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa