E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #3721
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Umm, I would venture a guess that you should just stop now. There are three major things that get CHP Officers in trouble:

1 - Alcohol.
2 - Money.
3 - Keeping their pants on.

So stop with the under age alcohol.
Wait u said get CHP officers in trouble. I meant like doing it now before I become a officer, not while I am an officer. I meant like is there any requirements to be a officer where you couldn't have drank ever?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #3722
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Wait u said get CHP officers in trouble. I meant like doing it now before I become a officer, not while I am an officer. I meant like is there any requirements to be a officer where you couldn't have drank ever?
No, there's nothing that says that you can't drink. But you know that it's illegal. And if you blatantly break the law there's an issue.

Just like if you get a lot of speeding tickets.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #3723
BMW_Matt

Quote:
No, there's nothing that says that you can't drink. But you know that it's illegal. And if you blatantly break the law there's an issue.

Just like if you get a lot of speeding tickets.
Gotcha, that was the answer I was looking for. And don't worry, I have no tickets or have ever gotten pulled over (except for once a few yrs back for having sound too loud; verbal warning) (knock on wood)

I will probably do another ride-a-long sometime within the month and looking forward to it. So much dam fun and makes me wanna be graduated so fast lol
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #3724
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Gotcha, that was the answer I was looking for. And don't worry, I have no tickets or have ever gotten pulled over (except for once a few yrs back for having sound too loud; verbal warning) (knock on wood)

I will probably do another ride-a-long sometime within the month and looking forward to it. So much dam fun and makes me wanna be graduated so fast lol
If you ever apply and answer in the manner you just stated the bold/red parts they might grill your ass. If you've been pulled over once then don't say you never have been pulled over. They look for little inconsistencies like these to get you in a corner and make you feel as if you did something bad or were a really bad liar (even if you're not its their way of turning up the heat). Instead just simply state yes Ive been pulled over once for such thing and that's that, honesty is key! And that applies across the board for other things

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #3725
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_3 View Post
If you ever apply and answer in the manner you just stated the bold/red parts they might grill your ass. If you've been pulled over once then don't say you never have been pulled over. They look for little inconsistencies like these to get you in a corner and make you feel as if you did something bad or were a really bad liar (even if you're not its their way of turning up the heat). Instead just simply state yes Ive been pulled over once for such thing and that's that, honesty is key! And that applies across the board for other things
Lol, yea I worded that stupidly, but I understand. I do have issues with polygraph test's tho; A few yrs ago in HS, NSA came to our school and I applied for an internship, and during the polygraph test, she kept asking me if I've ever done any illegal drugs and I kept telling her no, but I've been around them at parties and stuff, and she kept saying I was hiding something from her, blah blah. So hopefully by the time I am applying my issue will be gone
Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #3726
eedna

My Ride: 01 325i
I've learned from talking to some officers, and knowing a few as personal acquaintances that there are certain 'protected professions' like doctor/nurse/firemen that some officers will be more lenient/outright not ticket based on the thinking that they don't want to piss off the people that might one day need to help them. Do you do this?

Also, if you do, would you consider a security guard as one of these kinds of professions? I ask because I'm a security guard, and I got stopped one night for having a headlight out (I was aware of it, just hadn't gotten around to it yet--I actually happened to have the replacement bulb out sitting in my backseat which I'm sure he noticed and helped lol). I was respectful and courteous the whole time, and he asked me what I did for a living and when I told him I was a security guard, his entire demeanor changed, he became friendly(wasn't unfriendly to start, just very professional) and then explained that he was "just doing his job", as if I was gonna get pissy at him for looking out for my safety haha. He didn't write me anything, just ran my info to make sure I didn't have a warrant. (I told him before he ran it that I had gotten a ticket going 23 over in a 65 3 months prior to this, and he just said don't worry about it)
eedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #3727
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eedna View Post
I've learned from talking to some officers, and knowing a few as personal acquaintances that there are certain 'protected professions' like doctor/nurse/firemen that some officers will be more lenient/outright not ticket based on the thinking that they don't want to piss off the people that might one day need to help them. Do you do this?

Also, if you do, would you consider a security guard as one of these kinds of professions? I ask because I'm a security guard, and I got stopped one night for having a headlight out (I was aware of it, just hadn't gotten around to it yet--I actually happened to have the replacement bulb out sitting in my backseat which I'm sure he noticed and helped lol). I was respectful and courteous the whole time, and he asked me what I did for a living and when I told him I was a security guard, his entire demeanor changed, he became friendly(wasn't unfriendly to start, just very professional) and then explained that he was "just doing his job", as if I was gonna get pissy at him for looking out for my safety haha. He didn't write me anything, just ran my info to make sure I didn't have a warrant. (I told him before he ran it that I had gotten a ticket going 23 over in a 65 3 months prior to this, and he just said don't worry about it)
I personally don't show any deference for security guards.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #3728
Unholy

My Ride: 330i
ive read so much of this thread and wow thanks for all the amazingly insightful and helpful information frobie,
so here is my question, i just recently got my first car and i only have a permit (im 17 and will soon be 18 and get my lisence), if i were to be speeding on the freeway which i dont, and say my dad was in the car with me, would you give me a harder time than if i were by myself? just curious..

if i were by myself with my lisence and were speeding, just to clear things up..

Last edited by Unholy; 06-18-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #3729
///m3some

My Ride: Gintani S/C E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to ///m3some
Hey, i Was wondering Where in Newport or Costa Mesa would i go and get my Fix-a-tickets written/signed off? Do i go to the police station, court house, or somewhere else?

SPECIAL THANKS TO GINTANI & OE TUNING
///m3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #3730
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
ive read so much of this thread and wow thanks for all the amazingly insightful and helpful information frobie,
so here is my question, i just recently got my first car and i only have a permit (im 17 and will soon be 18 and get my lisence), if i were to be speeding on the freeway which i dont, and say my dad was in the car with me, would you give me a harder time than if i were by myself? just curious..

if i were by myself with my lisence and were speeding, just to clear things up..
If you had your license (and not just your permit) you would be treated exactly the same regardless of who was in the car. I don't care if you have the Pope in the car with you, I'm still going to be polite and professional, but more than likely write you a ticket.

Thank you Sam
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #3731
BMW_Matt

Quote:
If you had your license (and not just your permit) you would be treated exactly the same regardless of who was in the car. I don't care if you have the Pope in the car with you, I'm still going to be polite and professional, but more than likely write you a ticket.
What if there was another CHP who was his buddy in the car
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #3732
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m3some View Post
Hey, i Was wondering Where in Newport or Costa Mesa would i go and get my Fix-a-tickets written/signed off? Do i go to the police station, court house, or somewhere else?
You can have Newport Beach Police or Costa Mesa Police sign them off, but they will more than likely charge you to do it. The Santa Ana Area Office for the CHP is on Santa Clara just off of Seventeenth. They won't charge you anything, but make sure that you don't have any other mechanical violations on your car when you go in to have another one signed off.

Thank you Sam
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #3733
frobie15

Quote:
What if there was another CHP who was his buddy in the car
As in the off duty Chippie was a passenger in the car? Still going to be polite and courteous. I treat everyone the same. More than likely the outcome will still be a ticket, but it depends on the situation.

Thank you Sam
Old 06-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #3734
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Where can cops NOT stop and sit 2 gun people down for speed?

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 AM   #3735
LAWLence

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to LAWLence
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerseth54 View Post
Where can cops NOT stop and sit 2 gun people down for speed?
Private property. Everywhere else is fair game.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #3736
///m3some

Quote:
You can have Newport Beach Police or Costa Mesa Police sign them off, but they will more than likely charge you to do it. The Santa Ana Area Office for the CHP is on Santa Clara just off of Seventeenth. They won't charge you anything, but make sure that you don't have any other mechanical violations on your car when you go in to have another one signed off.
thank you for your help.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #3737
///m3some

ok i have another question. i currently have a house and car in california..car is registered in cali, and i also have a house and car in new york..car registered in new york. but i only have a new york license. i move back and forth from state to state all the time for work. i got a ticket for not having a cali drivers license..i understand the 10-day rule and i understand that you can't have more then 1 valid state drivers license but i think its pointless to every month have to apply for a new license in either new york or cali..ive tried to explain my situation to a few officers when i was getting my fix-it tickets signed off the other day and they did not have an answer for me. WHAT DO I DO?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #3738
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m3some View Post
ok i have another question. i currently have a house and car in california..car is registered in cali, and i also have a house and car in new york..car registered in new york. but i only have a new york license. i move back and forth from state to state all the time for work. i got a ticket for not having a cali drivers license..i understand the 10-day rule and i understand that you can't have more then 1 valid state drivers license but i think its pointless to every month have to apply for a new license in either new york or cali..ive tried to explain my situation to a few officers when i was getting my fix-it tickets signed off the other day and they did not have an answer for me. WHAT DO I DO?
I would check with NY and see how strict they are. CA is very strict about out of state Driver's Licenses, chances are NY may not be as bad. If that's the case, then you'll likely want to switch.

Unfortunately, there is really no right answer, you've established residency in CA, so you're required to have a license here. Since you'll have to go to court for not having a CDL (in violation of 12500(a)VC), you can tell the judge your story and get their impression...

The best thing would be to have a totally legal car and to drive safely, and you'll never get stopped so the cop will never know you don't have a CA license.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #3739
greenxeyezz

My Ride: '03 M3 TiAg
I know you are CHP's here, but i think in general you could help me here, this has to do with a "domestic" disturbance call, and how the office "acted"...

There was a call to a residence. Upon entering the cop asked what is going on, situation 2am...3 people total. all three are family. the two younger ones are ON THE LEASE while the oldest person is not. The younger ones are PAYING the rent, while the oldest one hasnt been living there. maybe a total of 2 weeks out of the last 6 months (in and out).

The oldest was yelling and screaming at everyone, (drug user) going on a wild goose chase of verbals.....the youngest had to get up in 3 hours for school.

Cop gets there, "talks" to all of them, then starts yelling at the younger ones WHY are you treating everyone like this? You are SPOILED ROTTEN KIDS, cutting them off every time they talked. he would ask a question, before they could answer he would yell at them WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO KICK HER OUT>???? You're rotten. WHAT KICK HER OUT!!!?? She lives here. (when they tried to explain she doesn't he cut them off again)

the youngest ones told the cop that she was on drugs and would like her arrested. HE said he "why? I dont arrest anyone to teach them a lesson"... fair enough...but

The oldest (drug user called the cops) and the cop was like if you call us out here again, I am going to arrest everyone and that definitely wont be good for your record since your trying to be a nurse, that will prevent it, so you better not call us out here again....

When the younger ones DIDNT call them out there.

Sorry to say it, the guy was an @$$hole.

What are the "legal" steps to take on this matter?
greenxeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #3740
pswirley

My Ride: 330i
Frobie,

Your buddy saw me the other day through his telescope. I thought I was done for. He looked away from traffic and right at me, gave me a discerning look that I understood clearly and put the scope back up to his face.

Just wanted to say thanks to whomever this was for the free pass, and since you are the only CHP that I know, I figured you could take the glory.

I haven't been over 65 since, well I did hit 66 not paying attention down a hill.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa