E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #21
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Great thread!

I think this will allow alot of the members to become informed about local laws and enforcement rules and should help not with breaking the law, but rather respecting it, and understanding why these rules are in place. With that said, if there were two cars, both going 15-20mph over the speed limit, and one was a nice, well maintained sports car and the other was a hooptie, which would you pull over if their driving style was exactly the same?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #22
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
How many horsepower do crown vics have?

Aproximate 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

how much do they weigh?

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #23
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr
Thanks for doing this frobie!
Based on my own experience, I've come to believe cops are more likely to ticket for differential speed than absolute speed (within reason). Put another way, you are more likely to be ticketed for how you are going fast than how fast you are going. Is this actually the case or have I just been lucky?

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
yo, look in my sig, are my lights legal?

i have 6000K upper row and 4300K fogs???

ha, vlad, i love the drifting question as your first question i completely agree with that
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #25
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
frobie, where do you live?
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletedpenguin
Great thread!

I think this will allow alot of the members to become informed about local laws and enforcement rules and should help not with breaking the law, but rather respecting it, and understanding why these rules are in place. With that said, if there were two cars, both going 15-20mph over the speed limit, and one was a nice, well maintained sports car and the other was a hooptie, which would you pull over if their driving style was exactly the same?
There is method to my madness!! I explain this to ALOT of people that I work with. If everything else is equal (speed, vehicle condition, etc.) this is the order that I stop cars for speeding from first to get stopped:

1- SUV
2- Pick-up Truck
3- sedan
4- sports car/sporting car (BMW, MBZ, anything designed for high speed driving)

5- And somewhere down here is a sportbike

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #27
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubbheads
How many horsepower do crown vics have?

Aproximate 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

how much do they weigh?
I dunno the exact acceleration times. Check the Ford website. Our cars are the Police Interceptor version. I think the new ones are in the neighborhood of 245hp? They're limited to 130mph on the top end. They're fast enough for most. Not me, though. I've still got my fingers crossed that we're gonna get the new Charger with the 345 horse V8

Take their advertised curb weight and add about 500-600 pounds for equipment and gear. Keep in mind that about 100 pounds of that are on top of the roof (if they have the big light bar).

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #28
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
yo, look in my sig, are my lights legal?

i have 6000K upper row and 4300K fogs???
As far as I'm conerned, they're fine....

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #29
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
frobie, where do you live?
Long Beach, until May. Then it's off to the Central Valley (Fresno area).

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #30
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
frobie, i have Florida tags on my car, because my wife is in the military and we dont know when we may go back there. my question is, does my vehicle have to comply to local ordinances and laws? Ie..Tint, no front plate. because those are ok in FL.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #31
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
--How can I get a 99-11 liscence plate/sticker?

You mean 11-99, right? www.chp1199.org
Keep in mind that this is NOT a guarantee to get you out of tickets, or even being stopped. And, if you're going to donate for this reason alone, don't do it. This is a really good charity that helps out the families of Officers when they need it. Oh, just read about 'em on the site.
I've been an Lifetime 11-99 Foundation member for a while and I can tell you that it has made absolutely no difference in the way I've been treated by law enforcement. I figured that we (BMW and M3 owners in particular) take advantage of the open road more than most. The CHP does it's best to keep the roads safe and free from drunks and idiots. 6 officers have been killed in as many months in the line of duty. It's an often thankless job that I wouldn't want to do. We all should give something back. It's an excellent cause and a nice write off on your taxes. Ok, off my soapbox.
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #32
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Hey frobie15, heres a quick one for ya. Do you make personal notes of the citations you write? I am pleading no contest to an improper lane change here in florida but the court date is 2.5 months away from when the citation was written and i am afraid he will not remember it. Reason i want him to remember is because i was super respectful and even apologized several times.

Thanks for making this thread by the way.

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #33
still

My Ride: 01 R6
Quote:
There is method to my madness!! I explain this to ALOT of people that I work with. If everything else is equal (speed, vehicle condition, etc.) this is the order that I stop cars for speeding from first to get stopped:

1- SUV
2- Pick-up Truck
3- sedan
4- sports car/sporting car (BMW, MBZ, anything designed for high speed driving)

5- And somewhere down here is a sportbike
wow, that's a good and bad order for me.. but i would have thought it was different.. heh.. whenever i'm driving my silver camry.. i always think i can get away with speeding next to a sports car.. i always thought the p.o. would pull over the sports car.. but it does make sense that a sports car can speed safer than a camry.. heh..

i just recently sold my bike.. but i'm glad you don't like to pull bikes over.. if i remember correctly, you ride yourself right? it's like literally impossible to keep that thing under 65..

but do cops give bikes a break because they figure we'll die soon enough anyways? or because they're afraid the bike wo'nt pull over, and just take off?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #34
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr mixxer
frobie, i have Florida tags on my car, because my wife is in the military and we dont know when we may go back there. my question is, does my vehicle have to comply to local ordinances and laws? Ie..Tint, no front plate. because those are ok in FL.
Your car needs to be registered in California. The only thing that military gets the exemption from is having to get a California Driver's License. With that in mind, your car will have to comply with California laws if you have it registered here. If you're in California driving on the roads, then shouldn't you pay the registration to help fix them? That's why your car has to be registered here within 20 days of establishing residency (home/rent, job).

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #35
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
I've been an Lifetime 11-99 Foundation member for a while and I can tell you that it has made absolutely no difference in the way I've been treated by law enforcement. I figured that we (BMW and M3 owners in particular) take advantage of the open road more than most. The CHP does it's best to keep the roads safe and free from drunks and idiots. 6 officers have been killed in as many months in the line of duty. It's an often thankless job that I wouldn't want to do. We all should give something back. It's an excellent cause and a nice write off on your taxes. Ok, off my soapbox.
Not all Chippies give 11-99 members breaks. But, like you said, it's an excellent cause, that might, at some point, get you out of a ticket.

And thank you for the donation, and the kind words. It's nice to here that there are still some people out there that have an understanding of how dangerous the job can be.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #36
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by still
wow, that's a good and bad order for me.. but i would have thought it was different.. heh.. whenever i'm driving my silver camry.. i always think i can get away with speeding next to a sports car.. i always thought the p.o. would pull over the sports car.. but it does make sense that a sports car can speed safer than a camry.. heh..
True, a silver Mycar will blend in more than a yellow Z06 'vette, which will draw more attention to the 'vette. But, for someone like me (with a pretty good knowledge of all things automotive), I' rather have the car designed to go fast going fast rather than a non-handler like a Camry/Accord/Taurus/whatever.

[/QUOTE]i just recently sold my bike.. but i'm glad you don't like to pull bikes over.. if i remember correctly, you ride yourself right? it's like literally impossible to keep that thing under 65..[/QUOTE]
Sorry to here that you sold it. I'm a firm believer that if everyone rode, they would become better drivers. It comes across from being on the bike that you have to ride like you're invisible. Drive like you are and you'll be that much safer. Of course I also think that automatic transmissions should be outlawed. It would make people have to pay ALOT more attention to driving if they had to operate a clutch and stick shift, too.
Quote:
but do cops give bikes a break because they figure we'll die soon enough anyways? or because they're afraid the bike wo'nt pull over, and just take off?
Not all cops give breaks to bikes. And, I've written some of them tickets. For me as long as the rider has an M1 (motorcycle) endorsment, current registration, and insurance, then I USUALLY won't write them a ticket. If they're doing a wheelie on the freeway, then they're gonna get jacked. My reason for not being so hard on them is because I know that all they have to do is drop three gears, twist the wrist, and they're GONE!!! If they respect me enough to stop, then I'm not going to screw with them.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #37
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
Quote:
Your car needs to be registered in California. The only thing that military gets the exemption from is having to get a California Driver's License. With that in mind, your car will have to comply with California laws if you have it registered here. If you're in California driving on the roads, then shouldn't you pay the registration to help fix them? That's why your car has to be registered here within 20 days of establishing residency (home/rent, job).
ok another scenerio, you stop me, i have a FL registration and FL DL, i say im here visiting, what can you legitimatly write me a citation for tint?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #38
itzphong

My Ride: 01 330CIC, 02 745i
Send a message via AIM to itzphong
Good stuff thanks for the starting of the thread

Want/BUY List
Pioneer Z2
UUC TS3Exhaust?
Fog light HID 6500K
Painted Front reflectors
Side clears
LED taillights
itzphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #39
hifiguy

My Ride: 2004 m3
Send a message via ICQ to hifiguy Send a message via AIM to hifiguy
Many thanks for starting this thread. When people are well informed they make smarter decisions.

Here are my questions:

1) After being pulled over by a law officer (e.g. speeding), say they ask you for consent to search the vehicle. What happens if the driver does not comply?

2) If the officer asks the driver to roll up the front windows, does one have to comply?

Thanks in advance.

clear bra, ceramic tint 60F/50R, bel rx65, pss9, dixis, le-37, yellow belts
hifiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #40
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr mixxer
ok another scenerio, you stop me, i have a FL registration and FL DL, i say im here visiting, what can you legitimatly write me a citation for tint?
No, a ticket can't be written. But now that I know what your car looks like

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa