E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #4041
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMMyM3 View Post
I will not be a full time resident. Thats why i will be keeping my license and plates in the state which I reside for the longest periods of time.
CA has one of the most stringent policies in relation to vehicle and driver's licenses. If you establish residency in CA at all, you are required to register your car here and have a CA driver's license. Failure to do so could result in your being charged with a misdemeanor. You could argue your point to the judge/officer that stops you all day long, but there is a good chance it would be something you can't get past.

Also, even though your vehicle is registered elsewhere, you can still be cited as a gross polluter. Additionally, you could be cited for your tint, and the burden would be on you to prove the tint it legal in NY.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #4042
Uhhlexxxis

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to Uhhlexxxis
Quote:
I will not be a full time resident. Thats why i will be keeping my license and plates in the state which I reside for the longest periods of time. On a side note if you care so much about polluting the environment why do you drive an m3 and not a prius? If i recall correctly, I paid the some gas guzzler tax and other duties as you did; entitling me to do what i wish with the car, so please keep your snide comments to yourself.
yawn, you came here with questions didn't you?

I drive an m3 because it was the only car I could afford.. prius was too rich for my blood. don't complain about my "snide" comments when you were the one that came here for information.

I sense in your future.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #4043
JiMMyM3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
CA has one of the most stringent policies in relation to vehicle and driver's licenses. If you establish residency in CA at all, you are required to register your car here and have a CA driver's license. Failure to do so could result in your being charged with a misdemeanor. You could argue your point to the judge/officer that stops you all day long, but there is a good chance it would be something you can't get past.

Also, even though your vehicle is registered elsewhere, you can still be cited as a gross polluter. Additionally, you could be cited for your tint, and the burden would be on you to prove the tint it legal in NY.
Thanks for the input. What happens to students that drive their car to a college/university and have a legal residency off campus, does CA require they change their license and registration also?
JiMMyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #4044
JiMMyM3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhhlexxxis View Post
yawn, you came here with questions didn't you?

I drive an m3 because it was the only car I could afford.. prius was too rich for my blood. don't complain about my "snide" comments when you were the one that came here for information.

I sense in your future.
You know i did come here and ask a question. Yet your use of smilies and dumb comments is what i got. If someone answered your post the way you answered mine, you would have gotten the same reaction. I did not post to get an internet tough guy trying to mock me and amuse himself in the process.
P.S don't quit your day job, I sense you wouldn't make it as a comedian.
JiMMyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #4045
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhhlexxxis View Post
Check your local laws. Who's to say he just didn't fall asleep waiting for his train..
WOW. Lets just say he does this everyday!
And the authorities are getting sick of it.

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #4046
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Thanks for the input. What happens to students that drive their car to a college/university and have a legal residency off campus, does CA require they change their license and registration also?
If you stay in Cali for more than 2-3 months then the car has to be registered in Cali.
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #4047
Uhhlexxxis

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to Uhhlexxxis
Quote:
You know i did come here and ask a question. Yet your use of smilies and dumb comments is what i got. If someone answered your post the way you answered mine, you would have gotten the same reaction. I did not post to get an internet tough guy trying to mock me and amuse himself in the process.
P.S don't quit your day job, I sense you wouldn't make it as a comedian.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #4048
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
If you stay in Cali for more than 2-3 months then the car has to be registered in Cali.
Once you establish residency you must immediately register both your vehicle and driver's license here. The vehicle code does not give you 2-3 months. If I stop someone who has been here 2-3 months and is still using an out of state license, they're getting a misdemeanor citation (of course, totality of circumstances would dictate my final decision)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #4049
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
you sure its a misdemeanor?
i made the mistake of leaving my college parking pass on my rear view when CHP pulled me over for my plates, it was an infraction which cost ~$180 at the courthouse, alot cheaper than registering a $30k m3 2 months late at the DMV. they demanded 10% of a car that was never purchased in CA! just because i've only owned it for less than a year plus several hundred in misc 'late fees'.

i'm not making excuses for anyone who simply doesn't want to register their car in CA, but there are ALOT of out of state students in CA, several of which are required to maintain residency in their home state due to the in-state loans, grants, etc they've received. i spoke with all three departments about the matter because it was initially a $4000+ problem.... the court system understood this, the dmv was apathetic, and CHP was livid when i told them i was going to court instead, wonder why
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #4050
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
you sure its a misdemeanor?
i made the mistake of leaving my college parking pass on my rear view when CHP pulled me over for my plates, it was an infraction which cost ~$180 at the courthouse, alot cheaper than registering a $30k m3 2 months late at the DMV. they demanded 10% of a car that was never purchased in CA! just because i've only owned it for less than a year plus several hundred in misc 'late fees'.

i'm not making excuses for anyone who simply doesn't want to register their car in CA, but there are ALOT of out of state students in CA, several of which are required to maintain residency in their home state due to the in-state loans, grants, etc they've received. i spoke with all three departments about the matter because it was initially a $4000+ problem.... the court system understood this, the dmv was apathetic, and CHP was livid when i told them i was going to court instead, wonder why
Not the plates, but the driver's license is a misdemeanor. Per CA law, if you don't have a CA driver's license and are a resident (even if you have an out of state license), you are considered an unlicensed driver per 12500(a)vc.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #4051
Honzo

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci E46
@ OP

What is the minimum distance a law enforcement vehicle must be to your car in order to pace you in order to note your speed for a ticket?
Honzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #4052
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honzo View Post
@ OP

What is the minimum distance a law enforcement vehicle must be to your car in order to pace you in order to note your speed for a ticket?
There is no set minimum or maximum, it is at the discretion of the officer initially, and the court (judge/commissioner) in the end

Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #4053
nuwde

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
There is no set minimum or maximum, it is at the discretion of the officer initially, and the court (judge/commissioner) in the end
I was on the 91 W in the middle lane at night about 70 mph. A car in the carpool lane going 75-80 mph passes me.

As the car is passing me, we are passing the entrance lane from a surface street. A cop is entering on the entrance lane.

By this time, the car is ahead of me as well as the cop. The cop signals left and jumps to the carpool lane (it was a safe maneuver at night) and subsequently turns on his lights to pull the car over.

I've never seen that and makes me think twice about speeding when approaching entrance lanes
nuwde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4054
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwde View Post
I was on the 91 W in the middle lane at night about 70 mph. A car in the carpool lane going 75-80 mph passes me.

As the car is passing me, we are passing the entrance lane from a surface street. A cop is entering on the entrance lane.

By this time, the car is ahead of me as well as the cop. The cop signals left and jumps to the carpool lane (it was a safe maneuver at night) and subsequently turns on his lights to pull the car over.

I've never seen that and makes me think twice about speeding when approaching entrance lanes
Keep in mind, he may have had his forward facing radar on, he may have been using a LIDAR gun when the vehicle was approaching, and/or officers and Deputies are trained in visual speed estimation, and can write a citation based solely upon that.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #4055
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
What do I do if I don't have proof of insurance on me(but my car is insured) as well I have a drivers license just not on me?
I know my license number by heart if that makes a difference.
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #4056
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004bmw330ci View Post
What do I do if I don't have proof of insurance on me(but my car is insured) as well I have a drivers license just not on me?
I know my license number by heart if that makes a difference.
Not having proof of insurance on you can result in a correctable citation for 16028(a)VC, no proof of insurance. So long as you can prove you had insurance at the time of the stop, its just the $25.00 admin fee.

No driver's license on you could be a big issue. if you have no other government issued photo I.D., you can be "temporarily" arrested and taken in to be positively identified. If that happens, your car likely would be towed from the site of the stop. So, you'd have the pleasure of being in handcuffs, taken to the station for up to a couple of hours, sitting in a holding cell with who-knows-who, and paying the impound fees for your car. On the lighter end of things, you could just be cited for not having your driver's license in your possession.

Bottom line, carry both and save yourself some issues. Copies of your insurance card suffice, so make lots of them and have them everywhere (how about carry one in your wallet so you always have it). I've accepted a copy of a driver's license (i.e. the one you might have with your 24 hour fitness membership), but we're not required to take anything other than the original.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #4057
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
So I'm back from my self-imposed vacation from the forum. Good to see that some things never change. There are people who think that changing their signature at the DMV to an expletive will somehow get them in less trouble with the law. Oh well. I think everything that was asked was answered while I was gone, so I'm not going to re-hash anything....

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #4058
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
So I'm back from my self-imposed vacation from the forum. Good to see that some things never change. There are people who think that changing their signature at the DMV to an expletive will somehow get them in less trouble with the law. Oh well. I think everything that was asked was answered while I was gone, so I'm not going to re-hash anything....
Nice of you to join us...

Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #4059
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
It was an issue with me being upset with the car gods. My 330 got broken into in early December. Over $6k in damage..... All for a screen that the turds cut the ribbon to an will ever be able to use!

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #4060
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
It was an issue with me being upset with the car gods. My 330 got broken into in early December. Over $6k in damage..... All for a screen that the turds cut the ribbon to an will ever be able to use!
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Always the worst when a cop's house/car gets burg'd, extra crappy feeling.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa