E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #4081
broach328

My Ride: is 5 in 1.
Send a message via AIM to broach328
okay so i have a couple questions that may sound crazy but ive always wondered.

1) If someone pulled up beside you acting like they wanted to race but just joking around, would you get mad or would you laugh or what?

2) If I wanted to safely max my car out on top end, where is the safest place to do that? is there a legal place? im not trying to do that on a normal road.

3) if you passed a car doing like 145, would you whip it around if you didnt see brake lights? or would you not even try?

(OO==[ll][ll]==OO) > d\OO\(lll)(lll)/OO/b
broach328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #4082
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by broach328 View Post
okay so i have a couple questions that may sound crazy but ive always wondered.

1) If someone pulled up beside you acting like they wanted to race but just joking around, would you get mad or would you laugh or what?

2) If I wanted to safely max my car out on top end, where is the safest place to do that? is there a legal place? im not trying to do that on a normal road.

3) if you passed a car doing like 145, would you whip it around if you didnt see brake lights? or would you not even try?
1. Depends on the officer/deputy
2. Race track
3. Always try!

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #4083
broach328

are you cop as well? thanks for the input! i think road atlanta has be best straight around here. might throw the 2.93 diff in

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #4084
PlatinumEdition

My Ride: BMW 525i
couples questions....

1) I got issued multiple no license plate and no registration tickets in my friends car that I am borrowing...I am not liable to pay those right because the car does not belong to me? And how will I prove that to the judge?
2) I was issued a Basic Speed Violation ticket, officer wrote approximate speed 10-15 mph in a 25 mph zone, wtf is up with that that is not speeding, i was not breaking any law...

Thanks for the help

PlatinumEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #4085
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumEdition View Post
couples questions....

1) I got issued multiple no license plate and no registration tickets in my friends car that I am borrowing...I am not liable to pay those right because the car does not belong to me? And how will I prove that to the judge?
2) I was issued a Basic Speed Violation ticket, officer wrote approximate speed 10-15 mph in a 25 mph zone, wtf is up with that that is not speeding, i was not breaking any law...

Thanks for the help
1. as the driver of the vehicle, you are responsible for the fact it does not comply with the law. You can fight the tickets based on not owning the vehicle, but no promises that the court will release you from your responsibility. If your excuse was a way to avoid citations, everyone would drive a car registered to someone else.
2. I would have to get the whole story and see the cite to take a more educated guess, but remember that the basic speed law only references someone driving at an "unsafe speed" given the conditions. An unsafe speed can be either above or below the posted speed limit, so a citation for that section while going under the speed limit is possible. Perhaps he meant to put 10-15mph OVER the posted speed limit?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #4086
PlatinumEdition

My Ride: BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
1. as the driver of the vehicle, you are responsible for the fact it does not comply with the law. You can fight the tickets based on not owning the vehicle, but no promises that the court will release you from your responsibility. If your excuse was a way to avoid citations, everyone would drive a car registered to someone else.
2. I would have to get the whole story and see the cite to take a more educated guess, but remember that the basic speed law only references someone driving at an "unsafe speed" given the conditions. An unsafe speed can be either above or below the posted speed limit, so a citation for that section while going under the speed limit is possible. Perhaps he meant to put 10-15mph OVER the posted speed limit?
2) Not 10-15mph over, I was stopped at a green light waiting for people to cross the street and once they finished i drove and he pulled me over and said I took the turn to quick, which i did not accelerate at all past 10 mph.

PlatinumEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #4087
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
I've written basic speed law tickets to people who were well under the posted speed. But they were written in fog, rain, heavy traffic, etc.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #4088
broach328

why do you seek so strongly to write a ticket? i mean im not trying to be rude but if i was going 15 over and i gave you the upmost respect which i would, and i wasnt driving like a douche, would you write me a ticket? i once was let off doing 22 over. i was running late for my tee time.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #4089
mkodama

An annoying member on here just admitted to purposely causing a car to crash on a freeway. Is there anyway to find if there was any accident report of a car towed out of an embankment near Cerritos, CA, and have this member arrested for their blatant stupidity?

Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mused
I win the award for best brake check.

Some retarded middle aged couple nearly hits me trying to make a lane change to get onto the 605. I cut them off, brake check, and they end up swerving onto the side of the freeway. Too bad the side of the freeway is a huge slope . I saw them slide like 10 feet down the slope before they stopped. rain.
Quote:
I could care less. I saw them changing lanes all the way from the carpool lane, rushing over to get onto the 605. They changed like 4 lanes in less than 2 seconds, no signal. I thought they were going to stop when they were next to me but no, they just kept going. Nearly sideswiped me. I would have been the one in the ditch.

They had it coming. Karma at its finest. I feel no remorse or regret. Wait, I do have one regret, but I'm not going to say it.
Quote:
Yea, because none of you have ever brake checked anyone.

So you're actually going to tell me that slamming on my brakes is worse than cutting across lanes without looking at 80 MPH? Let's say there were cars in front of me that suddenly stopped and I had to stomp on my brakes. Their dumbasses would have still slid off the freeway. It was their fault they slid off, not mine.

If you feel that getting sideswiped and knocked off the freeway is no biggie, then I'm done proving my point.
Quote:
Did you even bother reading my posts carefully? They came out of the carpool lane and cut across 4 lanes without hesitating at any. Does it even matter whether or not I was in their blind spot? Looks as if these idiots weren't looking regardless. As far as I could tell, they deserved everything they got. Someone else had to honk at them too, but they only got cut off. These idiots were literally about to merge into the side of my car.

Like I said before, you can keep telling me I almost killed them, damaged their car . I have no remorse. In fact, my only regret is that their car slid on grass and didn't flip over or something. Drivers like this need to be taught a lesson. Their actions could have done a lot more harm.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #4090
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by broach328 View Post
why do you seek so strongly to write a ticket? i mean im not trying to be rude but if i was going 15 over and i gave you the upmost respect which i would, and i wasnt driving like a douche, would you write me a ticket? i once was let off doing 22 over. i was running late for my tee time.
Yup. I write tickets because it's my job to write them. 15 over the limit is fast. It's risk you run driving that fast. And, at that speed, your attitude has little to do with whether or not you get a ticket. I'd write anyone a ticket regardless of their attitude if they are driving over the cushion that I allow.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #4091
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
An annoying member on here just admitted to purposely causing a car to crash on a freeway. Is there anyway to find if there was any accident report of a car towed out of an embankment near Cerritos, CA, and have this member arrested for their blatant stupidity?

Here:
Wow. Just, wow. Mark told me about that guy. What a moron. If there's a way to get the date and time that the whole thing went down, I can make a phone call and check.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #4092
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Wow. Just, wow. Mark told me about that guy. What a moron. If there's a way to get the date and time that the whole thing went down, I can make a phone call and check.
They made the post 03-06-2010, 08:16 PM so probably within the 12hours before that. No info on the exact time it happened, sadly. They were probably driving their black 325i sedan.

Link to post: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=7027

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #4093
4mused

My Ride: HPF Stage 4 M3
Save you 2 some time. It happened around 4:30 PM.

Good luck with your search . "Pig"

^ Put quotes in case you can't tell it's a joke, as demonstrated by a few of the members down below.

Last edited by 4mused; 03-10-2010 at 12:43 AM.
4mused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #4094
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mused View Post

Good luck with your search . Pig.
You are dead to me
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #4095
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:

Wow. Just wow.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #4096
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:

Ed you are ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #4097
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
wow this guy is BAD. post a pic of him
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #4098
4mused

My Ride: HPF Stage 4 M3
I'm 2nd from the right in my sig. Go find the others.

4mused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #4099
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
I have a good one for you. Hopefully you can help me out and perhaps even give a little insight.

So as I was looking for parking at a local bar on friday night I go to make a right onto a street and theres a cop at the corner. I made the full stop before the pedi lane then turned in. As i do that, I made eye contact with the officer which was in a cruiser facing the opposite direction and poilitely smiled then continued on my way. About half a block in I told my brother that I had I feeling I was going to get pulled over for window tint and just as I said that I see the cruiser hit the brakes to put the car in drive and then start making a U-turn. This next intersection is a T so I make another right and continue looking for parking hoping that I was wrong. I made a left into a driveway to complete a U-turn (there was an empty parking space right next to it) and the cop comes hauling and pulls up behind me with the lights. I turn off my car, roll down the windows and the cop comes to the window asking for Drivers license and registration.

Me: Sure officer, may I ask what the problem is?
Cop: Ill tell you in a minute, just let me see your drivers license and registration.

So I hand it to him and he goes to the cruiser. Comes back and...

Cop: (hands me paperwork) i pulled you over for window tint. Where are you headed?
Me: Im going to the local bar (i gave the actual name)
Cop: Have you been drinking?
Me: No officer, im just getting here.
Cop: So you havent had any alchohol?
Me: No sir
Cop: are you sure?
Me: Yes officer, im sure.
Cop: Step out of the vehicle, we're going to give you a sobriety test.

So at this point im thinking WTF? but continue to cooperate. So they make me do the test (except for the blower) because of course I passed the other test. Tells me to get back in the car so i do. The officer then comes back and gives me the window tint ticket to sign and say tells me several times to get the tint in the front removed. He proceeds to tell me that I better not have one lick of alchohol or hes going to catch me.

My question is not about the tint. I know just like all these other Cali residents know that youre not supposed to have tint in the front. My question is about the protocol on giving sobriety tests. At what point is it a violation of rights? I know that if a driver is speeding or swerving youre bound to get a sobriety test. What about vehicle violations though? Can you give every driver that has a tail light out or a bald tire a test?

An arguement might be that I was in an area where people are being served alchohol but if the person you pull over shows no signs of being under the influence and theyre not pulled over for a traffic violation. What then?

I greatly appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #4100
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
I have a good one for you. Hopefully you can help me out and perhaps even give a little insight.

So at this point im thinking WTF? but continue to cooperate. So they make me do the test (except for the blower) because of course I passed the other test. Tells me to get back in the car so i do. The officer then comes back and gives me the window tint ticket to sign and say tells me several times to get the tint in the front removed. He proceeds to tell me that I better not have one lick of alchohol or hes going to catch me.

My question is not about the tint. I know just like all these other Cali residents know that youre not supposed to have tint in the front. My question is about the protocol on giving sobriety tests. At what point is it a violation of rights? I know that if a driver is speeding or swerving youre bound to get a sobriety test. What about vehicle violations though? Can you give every driver that has a tail light out or a bald tire a test?

An arguement might be that I was in an area where people are being served alchohol but if the person you pull over shows no signs of being under the influence and theyre not pulled over for a traffic violation. What then?

I greatly appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks
Very interesting experience, here are my thoughts...

You were likely driving pretty slow, perhaps were lane straddling, and looked a little distracted since you were looking for parking (I'm not positive since I wasn't there, but I know typically when someone is looking for parking or an address, their driving behavior reflects some changes). That could have been his logic here.

In order to ask you to perform the tests, your driving behavior, or your speech/smell of alcohol in the car/behavior after the stop need to provide him some reasonable suspicion. So long as he has legitimate probable cause to pull you over (i.e. tint) it is not hard for him to further articulate reasonable suspicion that would have brought him to the point of going through field sobriety tests with you. He really doesn't need much at all to articulate why you went through the tests.

Keep in mind two things... Case law has provided that, during a traffic stop, the officer/deputy has the legal ability to detain you wherever they want, whether it be in your car, outside of your car, on the curb, or in his backseat. So there is no "rights violation" for an officer to pull you out of a car during any traffic stop at any time. Secondly, driving is considered a privilege, not a right, and when you get your license you've given implied consent to provide a breath or blood sample upon the demand of an officer so long as he has reasonable suspicion that you've been drinking.

Anyhow, the officer has a ton of latitude here. If something like this happens in the future, once all the tests are done and you're about to leave, feel free to politely ask what you did that made him think you had been drinking. If he can't give you a viable answer right away, you can always make a complaint against him if you choose.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa