E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #401
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
I don't see how fog lights blind other drivers. I have yet to see any fog lights that are aimed upward- mine are aimed to the road and I also have HIDs in my fog lights as well.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #402
xkissthegunx

My Ride: '03 CB ///m3
Send a message via AIM to xkissthegunx
my g/fs old bmw fogs were brighter than the headlights.. but were never able to re-adjust it on time.. now its too late..
xkissthegunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #403
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLPeng
Not much light output of course compared to the Xenon. It is more for the look. I totally disagree if this extra light would blind other drivers. It only goes couple of feet in front of the car and these lights do not go upward. The location of them is on the lower part of the bumper... I don't think it will blind or even bother other drivers I would say. I hope I'm not the only one with this opinion....

definitly does NOT even compare to the Xenon on BMWs or any other car. Fogs are good for the extra output. On the way back home there are a lot of deer on the road and I use the fogs to see more of the side of the road. How much more it helps is quesionable, but it makes me feel better when Im driving in a high deer accident zone.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #404
hovisalan

My Ride: 2001 330ci
hey frobie, couple of questions. this sounds dumb to me but i know a guy who just got an e30 for $500 bucks cause it was a slavage title, but he is under the impression that it has a salvage title becuase it was impounded by the police.

is this right?

also i thought there was a ban on selling assualt rifles in cali, but i went into a gun shop and the had some, like an m16 or somthing...?

thanks
hovisalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #405
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovisalan
hey frobie, couple of questions. this sounds dumb to me but i know a guy who just got an e30 for $500 bucks cause it was a slavage title, but he is under the impression that it has a salvage title becuase it was impounded by the police.

is this right?
As far as I know, the only way you get a salvaged title is by having your car totalled by an insurance company, and then re-building it. Most sport-bikes have salvaged titles because they get laid down. The owner buys it back and rebuilds it. It's just as good as before, but since the insurance totalled it, it's now "salvaged".

The biggest downside of anything with a salvaged title is that you can't get a loan to buy it. So anything out of your immediate price range you won't be able to get.

Quote:
also i thought there was a ban on selling assualt rifles in cali, but i went into a gun shop and the had some, like an m16 or somthing...?
The M16 is actually an AR-15. Colt, Bushmaster, and a couple of others make them. They're for sale again, but the only ones that you can get are a single shot carrier. Unless you're law enforcement
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #406
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemnt | 0ne
I don't see how fog lights blind other drivers. I have yet to see any fog lights that are aimed upward- mine are aimed to the road and I also have HIDs in my fog lights as well.
Our cars have decently designed fog lights, but how about that Chevy Tahoe that's behind you? Or the Ford Super Duty that some dude has lifted three feet. Those things are now shining directly in your back window. The bottom line is that they do put out more light, and whould be treated the same as high beams (turn them off when you approach other cars).
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #407
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Our cars have decently designed fog lights, but how about that Chevy Tahoe that's behind you? Or the Ford Super Duty that some dude has lifted three feet. Those things are now shining directly in your back window. The bottom line is that they do put out more light, and whould be treated the same as high beams (turn them off when you approach other cars).
In that case, you are correct. There's actually a punk ass kid in my neighborhood in a Dodge Ram with aftermarket HIDs in his lowbeam and fogs. I know that those Ram's do not come with HIDs, because he has no light pattern.

The problem is that he has the stock lenses so the light just splatters everywhere and blinds the **** outta people. I give him a dirty look everytime I see his truck >.<

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #408
hovisalan

single shot...meaning like no clip?

also whats is the dollar difference between theft and petty theft i thought it was $400...?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #409
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
single shot...meaning like no clip?

also whats is the dollar difference between theft and petty theft i thought it was $400...?

I think he means single shot, like only one shot at a time as opposed to multi-shot bursts or a fully automatic setting.

As for the theft issue, there are two kinds of theft, petty theft and grand theft. Grand theft is usually items over $400 with the following exceptions:
-Pick-pocketing- theft from someone's person is automatically grand theft no matter the value
-Theft of certain animals
-Theft of certain agricultural products over $100 in value (odd, I know)
-Theft of any motor vehicle no matter the value
-Theft of a firearm no matter the value

I think there are some other exceptions, but thats all I can remember.

**Don't mean to hijack your thread Joel, just trying to offer an assist **

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #410
hovisalan

...really so single shot = semi auto
so in other states they sell fully automatic assult rifles? wtf

not to hijack this thread but... what is involved in obtaining a concealed weapons permit, can you carry a gun as long as its not concealed?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #411
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Hey Frobie,

Remember my question about speed Radar Cameras?

Well, I just recently came across this info: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/s...ended_sen.html
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #412
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:

not to hijack this thread but... what is involved in obtaining a concealed weapons permit, can you carry a gun as long as its not concealed?
You basically always need a CCW permit to carry a loaded weapon anywhere in the public in the state of CA. We have penal code sections that forbid the carrying of loaded firearms on your person in public, or in your vehicle on a public road regardless of whether they are concealed or in plain view. Theoretically, you can wear an unloaded weapon on your hip in plain view, and you would not be breaking the law. You can also be riding with your unloaded gun in plain view on the front seat of your car (there could not be any ammo within the passenger compartment) and you wouldn't be breaking the law. Obviously, neither of these is a good idea

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #413
DiLioPi

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Send a message via MSN to DiLioPi Send a message via Yahoo to DiLioPi
Frobie.. another question... Do chrome bumpers legal? I hate those chrome bumpers on trucks... at night, it reflects back the light from my headlights right into my eyes . If you are suggesting that fog lights should be off... may be chrome bumpers should be illegal also.

Sometimes, I turn my headlights off at night on local street if these chrome bumpers are blinding me.... can I use that excuse if I get pulled over? Yes, I try to get to another lane whenever I can but looking at these xenon lights are not good for the eyes..

Even if I drive my other car with regular halogen lights (Scion xB) those chrome bumpers reflected enough light to blind my eyes.
DiLioPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #414
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3
**Don't mean to hijack your thread Joel, just trying to offer an assist **
No worries, some of this stuff you're alot better at than I am
Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #415
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
Hey Frobie,

Remember my question about speed Radar Cameras?

Well, I just recently came across this info: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/s...ended_sen.html
Well, damn... I guess this state isn't too liberal to get speed cameras

As long as they stay in residential/school zones, then I have no problem with them. And, at least these are manned by a person. Unlike red-light cameras. That way the officer can still use discretion for issuing the ticket.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #416
frobie15

Quote:
Frobie.. another question... Do chrome bumpers legal? I hate those chrome bumpers on trucks... at night, it reflects back the light from my headlights right into my eyes . If you are suggesting that fog lights should be off... may be chrome bumpers should be illegal also.

Sometimes, I turn my headlights off at night on local street if these chrome bumpers are blinding me.... can I use that excuse if I get pulled over? Yes, I try to get to another lane whenever I can but looking at these xenon lights are not good for the eyes..

Even if I drive my other car with regular halogen lights (Scion xB) those chrome bumpers reflected enough light to blind my eyes.
No, chrome bumpers aren't illegal. In fact, you could chrome your whole car if you want. I've never had an issue with them blinding me. Are your headlights adjusted properly?

If you turn your headlights off, then you're playing with fire. I've never written the section for not using headlights (It's a moving violation and $250). I just think that's too high a fine for something that minor!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #417
frobie15

Quote:
I think (I'm not sure, so you'd have to check at the local gun store) that the current AR-15 that's available is only a single load design. But I'm not positive. They still make the magazine load carrier, but not for public use.

Quote:
You're not hi-jacking the thread

As far as I know, to get a CCW Permit, you have to contact the Sheriff of the County you live in. In your case, San Diego. If you have a valid reason to need to carry a gun, then you might be authorized to carry it. If you own a business and make deposits, if your apouse is law enforcement, things like that, then you could get one. It's solely discretion of the Sheriff. I don't know if you can carry outside of your county, but that's stuff you'll have to take up with the Sheriff.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #418
DiLioPi

Quote:
No, chrome bumpers aren't illegal. In fact, you could chrome your whole car if you want. I've never had an issue with them blinding me. Are your headlights adjusted properly?
Yes it is... my xB is dead stock, nothing has been changed or modified. May be it's just me and my hatred toward chrome wheels that got in...

Quote:
If you turn your headlights off, then you're playing with fire. I've never written the section for not using headlights (It's a moving violation and $250). I just think that's too high a fine for something that minor!
Okay.. I'll keep that in mind. This generates another question though; What exactly is it "for not using headlights"? It still have the DRL on... does that count as using headlights? I know that I can get cited for blinding other people because using the DRL at night.. but... just wandering. Don't count it against me.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #419
frobie15

Quote:
Okay.. I'll keep that in mind. This generates another question though; What exactly is it "for not using headlights"? It still have the DRL on... does that count as using headlights? I know that I can get cited for blinding other people because using the DRL at night.. but... just wandering. Don't count it against me.
Headlights have to be white in color, and visible from 500 feet. I guess the DRL's would count

But keep in mind that with your DRL's on, you don't have tailights
Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #420
DiLioPi

Quote:
Headlights have to be white in color, and visible from 500 feet. I guess the DRL's would count
this is cool... so it counts? hehehe.. I learned something new today...

Quote:
But keep in mind that with your DRL's on, you don't have tailights
I do have taillights, because it's just one turn-click to the left, so parking lights are on, therefore taillights are on. Just the Xenons are off. So.... parking lights, taillights and yes... "fog lights" are on. Uh... that ring.. is on 24/7 whenever my engine's running...

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa