E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #4521
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Speeder knows way more about traffic law than most people, certainly me. However, based upon the information that you have given, I think that there is reasonable cause to question the information presented by the officer. I recommend that you review the information from this site: Help I Got A Ticket. While it is written for California law, I believe the strategies indicated may apply to you as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #4522
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Speeder knows way more about traffic law than most people, certainly me. However, based upon the information that you have given, I think that there is reasonable cause to question the information presented by the officer. I recommend that you review the information from this site: Help I Got A Ticket. While it is written for California law, I believe the strategies indicated may apply to you as well.
Thanks a lot guys.

Yea Speeder, my main focus will be the location.

Is there anything that could help me as far as his claim of using radar, when from my understanding he would not have been able to use it from his location on a car crossing his street.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #4523
Pasha

My Ride: E30
Hey Guys, been reading this thread for a long while now. First, would like to say thank you for all the information, it has helped me greatly over the years.

Now, A while back in 2009 in was radar tagged over in a rental going ~55 (cant exactly remember) in a 35 zone... completely my fault, i know.
Now, I was going through some trouble in my life during the time when the court date was scheduled to which made me completely forget about it and I couldnt even find the ticket at the time... which led to a Failure to appear.
Now my court date is scheduled to december 5th of this year to show up in front of the judge.

What would possibly be the best way to have the judge not rip my head off for the FTA?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #4524
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaDliniy View Post
Hey Guys, been reading this thread for a long while now. First, would like to say thank you for all the information, it has helped me greatly over the years.

Now, A while back in 2009 in was radar tagged over in a rental going ~55 (cant exactly remember) in a 35 zone... completely my fault, i know.
Now, I was going through some trouble in my life during the time when the court date was scheduled to which made me completely forget about it and I couldnt even find the ticket at the time... which led to a Failure to appear.
Now my court date is scheduled to december 5th of this year to show up in front of the judge.

What would possibly be the best way to have the judge not rip my head off for the FTA?
Best way? Honesty. Tell the judge the situation. Apologize. Be prepared and willing to pay the original fine while trying to get the latest fees and FTA fines waived or reduced.

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #4525
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaDliniy View Post

Aside from the court matter, you should also know that an FTA will usually result in the court placing a hold on your license. In turn, the DMV will suspend your driving privilege until they are notified by the court to remove the hold. So check with the court and/or the DMV to ensure that your license is clear...
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #4526
Pasha

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Best way? Honesty. Tell the judge the situation. Apologize. Be prepared and willing to pay the original fine while trying to get the latest fees and FTA fines waived or reduced.

That's usually the strategy I go with... just never had to deal with any FTAs.
Thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Aside from the court matter, you should also know that an FTA will usually result in the court placing a hold on your license. In turn, the DMV will suspend your driving privilege until they are notified by the court to remove the hold. So check with the court and/or the DMV to ensure that your license is clear...
Yeah, I took care of the hold already.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #4527
Avet4

***UPDATE***

I've realized something that might help me fight my ticket. The road that the cop pulled me over on is a border road between 2 towns.

I was driving westbound, marked by the red arrows and the stopping location was the red X. The cop is the blue. He was a Belmont cop but I was not in Belmont at any point, technically. The side of the street that I was driving on, and pulled over on (Belmont St.) has houses addressed as Watertown and the opposite side of the street is Belmont addresses.

When the cop saw me his location was in Belmont facing Watertown. I was in Watertown when he saw me.

What, if anything, can I argue regarding his jurisdiction?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #4528
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
***UPDATE***

I've realized something that might help me fight my ticket. The road that the cop pulled me over on is a border road between 2 towns.

I was driving westbound, marked by the red arrows and the stopping location was the red X. The cop is the blue. He was a Belmont cop but I was not in Belmont at any point, technically. The side of the street that I was driving on, and pulled over on (Belmont St.) has houses addressed as Watertown and the opposite side of the street is Belmont addresses.

When the cop saw me his location was in Belmont facing Watertown. I was in Watertown when he saw me.

What, if anything, can I argue regarding his jurisdiction?
More often than not, officers employed in one jurisdiction are authorized to write citations in other jurisdictions (usually statewide) through agreements between two neighboring municipalities/counties.... The days of The Dukes of Hazzard (an old TV show if you're too young to know) running off past the county line to avoid a citation are long gone .

The point that you would have to research and determine is whether the citation was filed -and is scheduled to be adjudicated- in the proper court (i.e. "judicial district") which has jurisdiction over the area where the alleged violation occurred. In other words, if citations from both, Belmont and Watertown are filed in the same court, then you're probably SOL... Otherwise, you can bring the matter before the judge at your first hearing and see what he says.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #4529
Bezor

My Ride: E46 325i/A3 S 2.0T
Have any of you guys gone on ride alongs? You should do it if only for the different perspective it gives you on law enforcement.

I do have to say though; cops make mistakes in all areas of human endeavor, including judgment, driving skill and their own personal lives. No one is perfect.

I work with law enforcement at times and I've seen some pretty stupid stuff on their part, and keeping it relevant to this thread, pretty dumb driving mistakes.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to fight a ticket, the judge has the final say, not law enforcement. Be respectful, courteous and loose the entitled arrogance...the road is a shared one, don't think that itís your personal space.
Bezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #4530
Avet4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
More often than not, officers employed in one jurisdiction are authorized to write citations in other jurisdictions (usually statewide) through agreements between two neighboring municipalities/counties.... The days of The Dukes of Hazzard (an old TV show if you're too young to know) running off past the county line to avoid a citation are long gone .

The point that you would have to research and determine is whether the citation was filed -and is scheduled to be adjudicated- in the proper court (i.e. "judicial district") which has jurisdiction over the area where the alleged violation occurred. In other words, if citations from both, Belmont and Watertown are filed in the same court, then you're probably SOL... Otherwise, you can bring the matter before the judge at your first hearing and see what he says.
Haha no, I know what Dukes of Hazzard is and I already assumed that if I had comited the offense in Belmont then he could follow me into Watertown and ticket me, but not if I comited it in Watertown and he was looking at me from the town line.

As far as the court, Watertown uses Waltham's (other neighboring town) court, but Belmont has it's own that it uses, and that this ticket is specifically being processed with.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #4531
Squeak

My Ride: M3 -> 135
Send a message via AIM to Squeak
I got a ticket a couple months ago and about to have my Arraignment.

I got two counts one of which is VC-22106-I (Unsafe Start) and VC-26708.5A-I (Tinted windows)

I have a doctors note for the tinted windows that states I need it since my skin is super sensitive to uv A and B rays due to medication i have to take. will this work?

My unsafe start ticket was not really a unsafe start. I started making a u-turn didn't loose any traction when i started then spun my tires as i was ending my u turn to go straight. my tires were bald and down to the belts at the time and I explained that to the officer but he didn't seem to care and still wrote me up for unsafe start. what should I do?

I cant afford the points, and would rather not do traffic school.

Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_BoyInBayArea View Post
lol.
i definitely like my car dropped and gapless with no bulge.
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #4532
Squeak

and I'm a college student and have to fly home early for thanksgiving and miss class for this arraignment even though I brought the court office a school schedule and class schedule and they still wouldn't let me push it back. WTF

Quote:
Quote:
lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #4533
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
II have a doctors note for the tinted windows that states I need it since my skin is super sensitive to uv A and B rays due to medication i have to take. will this work?
I thought that stock auto glass already filtered UV light. That is why my transitions eye glasses lens don't darken when I'm in my car.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #4534
Squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I thought that stock auto glass already filtered UV light. That is why my transitions eye glasses lens don't darken when I'm in my car.
Auto glass ONLY BLOCKs UV A rays not B and more harmful rays that give you cancer and what not.

Quote:
Quote:
lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #4535
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Squeak,

The letter from the doctor gets you a pass on tint as long as the tint is removable at night. A static cling style film. So any officer worth his salt will quote that and you still get the ticket.

The unsafe start to me sounds like a justified ticket. Even with bald tires you have to try to spin your tires on dry pavement. You're lucky, if you ask me, that the officer didn't cite you for, and impound your car for being an unsafe vehicle. Tires down to belts is unsafe if you ask me.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #4536
Squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Squeak,

The letter from the doctor gets you a pass on tint as long as the tint is removable at night. A static cling style film. So any officer worth his salt will quote that and you still get the ticket.

The unsafe start to me sounds like a justified ticket. Even with bald tires you have to try to spin your tires on dry pavement. You're lucky, if you ask me, that the officer didn't cite you for, and impound your car for being an unsafe vehicle. Tires down to belts is unsafe if you ask me.

i know exactly the officer wrote me up for the wrong thing so technical its his FAULT.

Quote:
Quote:
lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #4537
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
i know exactly the officer wrote me up for the wrong thing so technical its his FAULT.
True... Its HIS fault you were driving with (illegally) tinted windows, with (unsafe/illegal) bald tires and you gunned it and spun your tires... Shame on him!!!

Its probably the court's fault too for not accommodating your school/holiday schedule!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #4538
tony2x

My Ride: 08 E61 535xiT
Wow, well that was a marathon! It took me nearly two weeks but I ploughed through all 228 pages of this thread. Thanks to the fine officers on this thread, notably Frobie15 and OHCM3, I now know more about the CVC than any normal human being should and I am very grateful for that. I have always had a massive amount of respect for the Police, my Uncle was a former Commander in the Metropolitan Police, London (now retired) and is one of many family members that carry a badge. His last posting before retiring was running the Met's traffic division and I was fortunate enough to receive my driving education from a couple of instructors at Hendon Police College all those years ago. It still saddens me to see that some people have a bad attitude towards the Police as my experience with cop has almost universally been excellent, even when I have been a bit naughty with my right foot.

I have been staying in Hong Kong for the last year on a work assignment and I am about to return back to San Francisco next week and have already found myself a rather nice E46 330xi that I need to drive back from PA to CA. I'll be passing through both Frobie and OHCM's beat either Dec 9th or 10th depending on traffic. I'll be driving on temporary PA tags sporting a wickedly illegal (in CA) tint but will be registering the car and de-tinting it (never been a fan of tint myself) upon arrival. Will out of state temp tags make me more attractive to the boys in blue? I'm debating whether to get the tint taken off at point of origin but I'm on an extremely tight time schedule to get back to SF in just 4 days.

For a laugh my friend and I are going to do a Top Gear style challenge: Can the car beat a package going UPS ground coast to coast? We'll be live blogging about it here and there will be updates coming at you from across the country, we'll try and make it amusing and exciting just like the TG boys.

So gents if you notice a Steel Grey 330xi with PA temp tags around those dates feel free to pull me over to say hello. Hopefully that'll be the only reason why you'll pull me over, it'll certainly make the blog more exciting and interesting to read.
tony2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #4539
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2x View Post
Wow, well that was a marathon! It took me nearly two weeks but I ploughed through all 228 pages of this thread. Thanks to the fine officers on this thread, notably Frobie15 and OHCM3, I now know more about the CVC than any normal human being should and I am very grateful for that. I have always had a massive amount of respect for the Police, my Uncle was a former Commander in the Metropolitan Police, London (now retired) and is one of many family members that carry a badge. His last posting before retiring was running the Met's traffic division and I was fortunate enough to receive my driving education from a couple of instructors at Hendon Police College all those years ago. It still saddens me to see that some people have a bad attitude towards the Police as my experience with cop has almost universally been excellent, even when I have been a bit naughty with my right foot.

I have been staying in Hong Kong for the last year on a work assignment and I am about to return back to San Francisco next week and have already found myself a rather nice E46 330xi that I need to drive back from PA to CA. I'll be passing through both Frobie and OHCM's beat either Dec 9th or 10th depending on traffic. I'll be driving on temporary PA tags sporting a wickedly illegal (in CA) tint but will be registering the car and de-tinting it (never been a fan of tint myself) upon arrival. Will out of state temp tags make me more attractive to the boys in blue? I'm debating whether to get the tint taken off at point of origin but I'm on an extremely tight time schedule to get back to SF in just 4 days.

For a laugh my friend and I are going to do a Top Gear style challenge: Can the car beat a package going UPS ground coast to coast? We'll be live blogging about it here and there will be updates coming at you from across the country, we'll try and make it amusing and exciting just like the TG boys.

So gents if you notice a Steel Grey 330xi with PA temp tags around those dates feel free to pull me over to say hello. Hopefully that'll be the only reason why you'll pull me over, it'll certainly make the blog more exciting and interesting to read.
Sounds like a great trip ahead, drive safely!

A temporary out of state tag alone doesn't really get my attention. If the vehicle/driver otherwise get my attention, then the temp registration tag might up my curiosity a bit. Frobie and the CHP crew may have a different take on this.

In any case, your best bet, of course, is to make it totally legal prior to taking off. However, we all recognize that vehicle codes vary by state, and if the car is brand new to CA, I tend to give some leeway to the driver to allow them time to get the car up to code. But, then again, I'm primarily a warn/advise guy when it comes to traffic anyhow.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #4540
tnilc

My Ride: Evo IX
is it true any police officer can sign off on a fix it ticket? i still need to get my ticket signed off, i got it from a CHP but plan on having my local PD sign it off if i can.

and i still need to put my plate back on drilling my bumper ftl

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa