E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #4541
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnilc View Post
is it true any police officer can sign off on a fix it ticket? i still need to get my ticket signed off, i got it from a CHP but plan on having my local PD sign it off if i can.

and i still need to put my plate back on drilling my bumper ftl
You'll have to go to the PD to get it signed off... You may even be able to get it signed off by visiting the local sheriff/marshal office at the courthouse. Although it has been my experience that a PD/Sheriff/Marshal will charge you ($15 or so) to issue a certificate of correction whereas the CHP will do it for free.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #4542
tnilc

My Ride: Evo IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
You'll have to go to the PD to get it signed off... You may even be able to get it signed off by visiting the local sheriff/marshal office at the courthouse. Although it has been my experience that a PD/Sheriff/Marshal will charge you ($15 or so) to issue a certificate of correction whereas the CHP will do it for free.
certificate of correction? thought they just signed the back of the ticket and that was it, then you mail it in with your money?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #4543
Speeder

Quote:
certificate of correction? thought they just signed the back of the ticket and that was it, then you mail it in with your money?
Some may do one, others may do the others!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #4544
tnilc

ah ok, i need a way to figure out how to mount my bracket and plate temporarily. unfortunately only way to get it mounted is to drill into the bumper. this is my first fix it ticket in 4 years with my car, i figure if i get another one for the plate i'll just put it on permanently after this.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #4545
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
ah ok, i need a way to figure out how to mount my bracket and plate temporarily. unfortunately only way to get it mounted is to drill into the bumper. this is my first fix it ticket in 4 years with my car, i figure if i get another one for the plate i'll just put it on permanently after this.
You don't have to drill holes into your bumper. You can get license plate mounts that screw into your tow hook slot.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #4546
tnilc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
You don't have to drill holes into your bumper. You can get license plate mounts that screw into your tow hook slot.
for my car you do. i dont drive a bmw
Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #4547
tony2x

My Ride: 08 E61 535xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Sounds like a great trip ahead, drive safely!

A temporary out of state tag alone doesn't really get my attention. If the vehicle/driver otherwise get my attention, then the temp registration tag might up my curiosity a bit. Frobie and the CHP crew may have a different take on this.

In any case, your best bet, of course, is to make it totally legal prior to taking off. However, we all recognize that vehicle codes vary by state, and if the car is brand new to CA, I tend to give some leeway to the driver to allow them time to get the car up to code. But, then again, I'm primarily a warn/advise guy when it comes to traffic anyhow.
Thanks Chris! I am a proponent of what James May calls Christian Motoring. When I first moved to the US I was a revenue generating machine for the State of California. I come from the land of speed cameras where the traffic police have been replaced by the Highways Agency Traffic wombles who just put cones out everywhere. I hadn't seen a policeman with a radar gun in years until I first moved to CA in 2005. I got stopped 4 times, got 2 tickets in my first six months. That certainly slowed me down!!!

I'm not saying my cross country run won't have the odd excursion into naughtiness but for the most part I keep it tidy.

Happy Turkey Day to you all. Just over a week now until the excursion starts.

I asked the seller to remove the front window tint today, I really dislike the look. In the UK we called them drug dealer windows and I certainly don't want to have that image!!!!
tony2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #4548
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Any suggestion on who sells these, perhaps one of the forum sponsors? My front bumper insert is the one for the Euro plate and won't fit US plates. I drove my car for 9 months with no front plate then a week after I loan it to a friend (who is thinking of buying a used BMW) he got cited for no front plate.

Frobie, OHCM, Speedster: Once I attach my front plate, can I take the car in to get the ticket signed off, or does my friend (who was cited in my car) need to take the car in to get it signed off?

My last fix-it moving violation ticket was 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember exactly what I did. I was cited by CHP for no tags so I put on the tag and took it to my local city PD for sign-off. But that time I was both owner and driver.

Quote:
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #4549
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Any suggestion on who sells these, perhaps one of the forum sponsors?
http://www.rhoplate.com/index.html
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #4550
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Any suggestion on who sells these, perhaps one of the forum sponsors? My front bumper insert is the one for the Euro plate and won't fit US plates. I drove my car for 9 months with no front plate then a week after I loan it to a friend (who is thinking of buying a used BMW) he got cited for no front plate.

Frobie, OHCM, Speedster: Once I attach my front plate, can I take the car in to get the ticket signed off, or does my friend (who was cited in my car) need to take the car in to get it signed off?

My last fix-it moving violation ticket was 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember exactly what I did. I was cited by CHP for no tags so I put on the tag and took it to my local city PD for sign-off. But that time I was both owner and driver.
Anyone should be able to get it signed off. Unless the "owners responsibility" box was checked off on the cite, then technically your friend is the one ultimately responsible for getting it done, but you can take it in to get signed off. If you chose to go to the court in person to pay off the administrative fee, not sure if they will require the person named on the cite to be there. If you take care of it via the mail, then it won't make a difference.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #4551
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
OHCM3: Thanks. Good point on paying it by mail.

lkstaack: Thanks just found that in another search. I think I will try to build my own front tow-hook mount with parts from Lowe's, or buy the standard BMW front bumper mount for $30-$32 (plus shipping). It won't kill me to mount the front plate properly and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Anyone should be able to get it signed off. Unless the "owners responsibility" box was checked off on the cite, then technically your friend is the one ultimately responsible for getting it done, but you can take it in to get signed off. If you chose to go to the court in person to pay off the administrative fee, not sure if they will require the person named on the cite to be there. If you take care of it via the mail, then it won't make a difference.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #4552
NorthRidgeNoob

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quick question, has anyone here gotten a ticket for talking on the cell phone while driving? How much did you have to pay for it exactly? An bicycle cop caught me on speaker under the red light -_- I'm 17 if that helps.
NorthRidgeNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #4553
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Usually about $115 after court fees.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #4554
NorthRidgeNoob

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Usually about $115 after court fees.
Thank you my good man^^
NorthRidgeNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #4555
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRidgeNoob View Post
Quick question, has anyone here gotten a ticket for talking on the cell phone while driving? How much did you have to pay for it exactly? An bicycle cop caught me on speaker under the red light -_- I'm 17 if that helps.
O.K., I'm old. Is "caught me on speaker under the red light" a euphemism for something?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #4556
Speeder

Quote:
O.K., I'm old. Is "caught me on speaker under the red light" a euphemism for something?
Nah... No euphemism... That's an excuse sometimes people use to justify the "I wasn't driving, I was stopped at a red light"...

However, the counter argument to that is a "driver" is defined as:
CVC 305. A "driver" is a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. The term "driver" does not include the tillerman or other person who, in an auxiliary capacity, assists the driver in the steering or operation of any articulated firefighting apparatus.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #4557
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
"While driving" means in the drivers seat while the vehicle is "in transport." Which is any time that the wheels are touching the ground between the edges of the roadway. Technically, even if you're parked at a curb and your door is open into the traffic lane your car is in transport. So letter of the law you could get a ticket for talking while driving if you're parked at the curb and open your door to exit your vehicle. Fun times!!!

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #4558
davidm

My Ride: 325
What would you do to someone if you pulled them over and found that they were driving on a suspended license? This is assuming that the individual is courteous and addresses that they have a suspended license before you check.
davidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #4559
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
What would you do to someone if you pulled them over and found that they were driving on a suspended license? This is assuming that the individual is courteous and addresses that they have a suspended license before you check.
Driving on a suspended license is no bueno, even worse if you are aware of the suspension. Why was it suspended?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #4560
e46rage

My Ride: 330ci 2001
What would happen to me if I was caught going 98mph and continued to keep going till the exit after I knew a cop was after me ?
sent from Evo 4g

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa