E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #501
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Yes, but some day YOU might be the one that they get "engaged" with
Good thing I don't take the 73 anymore. (Ex-gf used to go to school up there).

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #502
mrenn

My Ride: 06' A/W ///m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Not to encourage anything, but the 73 isn't normally patrolled from 10pm to 6am north of the toll plaza

There COULD be someone out there, but not usually...
Wow thats good to know..lol.I'll have to remember that,thanks Frobie. I like pounding through the gears to 100 once I pay the toll anyway...lol
NAWTYM3 AA #115 www.m3club.org
mrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #503
bimmerboi330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
So I went in on Monday to court for a speeding/stop sign violation.

So the cop would up lying, long story on that, but anyway I lost the battle. The judge denied to give me traffic school because he said "I testified" and that took away my right to have traffic school. Is this true or can I fight this? Maybe make some sort of appeal?

Any info would be awesome, also this happened in Riverside County, but on the University of California Riverside's campus, actaully on the campus roads, so if this is a Riverside rule, then isn't that unfair because I know people in LA and Ventura who were able to get traffic school even though they testified against the officer.

Cardomain.com
Dinan CAI, High Flow Throttle Body, Stage 3 Software, Front Strut Bar, K&N Air Filter, Black Roundels, Euro Plate, Predator Chromiums
Romanian Pride
JleviSW Authorized Installer
bimmerboi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #504
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrenn
Wow thats good to know..lol.I'll have to remember that,thanks Frobie. I like pounding through the gears to 100 once I pay the toll anyway...lol
I'll be curious to see how fast I can take the TT coming down that Hill after I pay the toll...
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #505
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi330
So I went in on Monday to court for a speeding/stop sign violation.

So the cop would up lying, long story on that, but anyway I lost the battle. The judge denied to give me traffic school because he said "I testified" and that took away my right to have traffic school. Is this true or can I fight this? Maybe make some sort of appeal?

Any info would be awesome, also this happened in Riverside County, but on the University of California Riverside's campus, actaully on the campus roads, so if this is a Riverside rule, then isn't that unfair because I know people in LA and Ventura who were able to get traffic school even though they testified against the officer.

Traffic school is always at the discretion of the court...it is considered a privledge, not a right. Even if you had not testified, you don't necessarily have the "right" to traffic school.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #506
bimmerboi330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3
Traffic school is always at the discretion of the court...it is considered a privledge, not a right. Even if you had not testified, you don't necessarily have the "right" to traffic school.
The judge told the guy after me that if he testified he would not recieve traffic school. So it was because I testified. When I got the ticket, I had the option to take traffic school, but I choose to fight it, I was broke and I needed the money back.

Cardomain.com
Dinan CAI, High Flow Throttle Body, Stage 3 Software, Front Strut Bar, K&N Air Filter, Black Roundels, Euro Plate, Predator Chromiums
Romanian Pride
JleviSW Authorized Installer
bimmerboi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #507
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi330
The judge told the guy after me that if he testified he would not recieve traffic school. So it was because I testified. When I got the ticket, I had the option to take traffic school, but I choose to fight it, I was broke and I needed the money back.
Damn.. at least you could have taken traffic school...

I just got another ticket yesterday. The cop was nice to me.
It sucks though. I just missed the exit and had to get off the next one.
He pulled me over between the two exits. :/
And I asked him about the bracket thing. Where the cost should different between speeds.
But he denied any bracket even existing and said he couldnt do anything about the speed.
I had asked him if he could change the speed he wrote(85) to 79.. to help me out.

that didnt work out.
Anyways. I cant take traffic school because its only been 15 months since my last ticket.
I dont know if I should fight it though.
Does the ticket amount go up if you try to testify?
BTW: I was hella nice to the cop. Didnt even say anything. Probably cuz my girlfriend was in the car.

GODDAMNIT. I didnt even see him. Just out of no where. LIGHTS! agh.
Im broke too.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #508
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
Does the ticket amount go up if you try to testify?
The fine amount remains the same regardless of how you choose to handle it. (i.e. plead guilty & pay the fine, written declaration and lose, or request a court trial and lose).

The only 2 instances where the fine amount is increased are:

1. If you choose to take traffic school (assuming you're able to) then you add a traffic school fee which is paid to the court (which is different from the traffic school enrolment fee that you pay to the school which you attend).

2. If you do not post bail and fail to appear on or before the court date stated on the citation, then a California V.C. section 40508(a) {failure to appear} which adds a $250 civil assessment to the total amount due to the court.

Last edited by Speeder; 05-07-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #509
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
That sucks Alex!

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #510
hypnotiq

My Ride: Yayo White 3
Illegal u-turn

So i got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn yesturday. I know its a weak excuse, but i really didnt see the no u-turn sign. I was wondering if it would be worth the drive (100 miles) to contest the ticket? Maybe the cop wouldn't show up?

Also, does anyone know the cost of the infraction, and if it will add a point to my insurance.

Thanks
hypnotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #511
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotiq
So i got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn yesturday. I know its a weak excuse, but i really didnt see the no u-turn sign. I was wondering if it would be worth the drive (100 miles) to contest the ticket? Maybe the cop wouldn't show up?

Also, does anyone know the cost of the infraction, and if it will add a point to my insurance.

Thanks
Was that in L A, Orange, or S D County??
The base fine in California is $35. However, the penalties & assessments do differ from one county to another. So the Total Bail Amount can vary from $130 in O. C. to $147 in S. D. County to $216 in L. A. County.

And YES, it does add a "Point" on your driving record with the DMV .
Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Speeder; 05-08-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #512
hypnotiq

I dont know what county it is, but i was basically like a 100 feet from ucla. It was on wilshire right where it hits the 405

Edit: forgot to say thanks speeder
Old 05-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #513
325 & 55

My Ride: 2001 325Ci Step
Frobie15..

on a lighter note...hope the "move" is going/went well.

With only Dial-up, it's going to take you a month to catch up with this thread
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #514
Speeder

Quote:
I dont know what county it is, but i was basically like a 100 feet from ucla. It was on wilshire right where it hits the 405

Edit: forgot to say thanks speeder
That's L A County...

and you're welcome
Old 05-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #515
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
alright i have just a quick question for you. so lately, and i mean within the past several months, ive gotten pulled over about 5 times now but knock on wood, been lucky and just given a warning. my question is though, during my "interogation" process, they took my license away everytime and swipped it. i know they are looking to see if im legit/legal...etc. i was wondering also if there is some sort of thing like a tally that also goes on there for just being pulled over. reason why i ask is b/c i don't want to get pulled over again, have the officer say, wow, you have been pulled over such and suck already, you need a ticket now or something.

just a curiousity question, nothing big
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #516
Alexander

My Ride: SG03M3
So if I'm crusing along in the #1 lane in moderate traffic, and closing quickly on another driver in the #1 lane, would you prefer that I:

1) Change lanes and pass. (This tends to end up looking like weaving.)
2) Come up behind him in the hopes that he will move over, and change lanes to pass if he doesn't.
3) " " , and use left turn signal to request he move over.
4) " " , and flash brights to request he move over.

Also, how are carpool violations usually enforced? From the rear in the carpool lane? From the left lane of the main roadway? Only when pulling over for other violations?
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #517
hypnotiq

i think i'm going to try to go to court for my illegal u-turn ticket. Do you think it'll be worth it? i'm hoping for the cop not to show up or atleast a fee reduction
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #518
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
alright i have just a quick question for you. so lately, and i mean within the past several months, ive gotten pulled over about 5 times now but knock on wood, been lucky and just given a warning. my question is though, during my "interogation" process, they took my license away everytime and swipped it. i know they are looking to see if im legit/legal...etc. i was wondering also if there is some sort of thing like a tally that also goes on there for just being pulled over. reason why i ask is b/c i don't want to get pulled over again, have the officer say, wow, you have been pulled over such and suck already, you need a ticket now or something.

just a curiousity question, nothing big
Since a police officer can run a license plate or drivers license at any time, and for any reason (or no reason at all), nothing will show up saying that your plate or license has been run X-amount of times since many contacts are not made because you are necessarily doing something wrong. The only concern you should have is being stopped by the same officer more than once...

Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #519
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
So if I'm crusing along in the #1 lane in moderate traffic, and closing quickly on another driver in the #1 lane, would you prefer that I:

1) Change lanes and pass. (This tends to end up looking like weaving.)
2) Come up behind him in the hopes that he will move over, and change lanes to pass if he doesn't.
3) " " , and use left turn signal to request he move over.
4) " " , and flash brights to request he move over.

Also, how are carpool violations usually enforced? From the rear in the carpool lane? From the left lane of the main roadway? Only when pulling over for other violations?

In my opinion...

If the driver in the #1 lane is driving the speed limit and/or with the flow of traffic, if change lanes, follow too close, or flash your brights, I would say that you are being a bit of an aggressive driver. If the other car is clearly going too slow for the conditions, then passing is no big deal. Your concern about looking like you are weaving is only really an issue if you are doing this several times within a short distance.

I don't spend much time working freeways, but most of the carpool violations are simply found by officers doing their normal highway enforcement...in other words, you are just cruising along like normal, maybe paying a little extra attention to the traffic in the carpool lane. If a vehicle looks like it may not be occupied two times, try to get better view and conduct a stop if appropriate. I have also seen CHP sit in the center median (if one is available) when the traffic is bad, watching the carpool lane traffic go by, and waving people over if they are riding solo.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #520
OHCM3

Quote:
i think i'm going to try to go to court for my illegal u-turn ticket. Do you think it'll be worth it? i'm hoping for the cop not to show up or atleast a fee reduction
What agency stopped you?? LAPD or CHP? If LAPD, was it a traffic or patrol unit (I believe if you look on your cite, a litttle lower than 1/2 way down, it will show a box that should say something like "assignment", see if it says "P" or "T" or "TE". If T or TE, then it is a traffic car and the officer is more likely to show up as they issue more tickets and go to court all the time. If it is a P, they are patrol and are less likely to show. I would also recommend going on lasuperiorcourt.org to get an extension. The more time that has passed, the more likely you are to get a date where the officer may be on vacation, or may have a different assignment (which changes with each 28 day deployment period for the LAPD) or they may care less since the ticket was old. Botttom line is that the LAPD gets a minimum of 4 hours of paid court time just for showing up and avoids getting beef from their supervisor, so there are incentives for them to show up.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa