E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #5341
JuicyE46

My Ride: 99 323i
Ok thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #5342
ftw1008

My Ride: 01 M3
Hello dear officer, I am a tourist from New York.
I was driving a rental car along I5 south from LA to SD and got pull over becoz of doing around 80.
The ticket said I was doing 83, without radar unit, and I won't be able to make it to the hearing date.
I am wondering what should I do?
Didn't expect I got ticketed for doing 80 anyway. It was a sunny afternoon with smooth traffic.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #5343
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Well, if you plan to fight it, you can fight it via mail. It's called a Trial by Declaration and it's the same thing as going to court, you just fight it via mail
Darkside213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5344
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Well, if you plan to fight it, you can fight it via mail. It's called a Trial by Declaration and it's the same thing as going to court, you just fight it via mail
I believe they first have to fill out a Plea by Affidavit
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #5345
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
I believe they first have to fill out a Plea by Affidavit
Not in California.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #5346
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
Not in California.
Oh my bad I read that he said he's fr NY and I assumed that's where he received the ticket. That's what happens when I'm not paying attention !
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #5347
Sofresh2Clean

My Ride: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
Oh my bad I read that he said he's fr NY and I assumed that's where he received the ticket. That's what happens when I'm not paying attention !
lol @ Tri state people in the cali section
Sofresh2Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #5348
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
We could pretend he was driving from Louisiana to South Dakota, but then he wouldn't be on I-5. I've driven that stretch of I-5 several times (mostly going to Qualcomm Stadium for AutoX or taking the family to SeaWorld) and I often do 75-80 on the speedo and have faster drivers passing me, though 80 on the speedo is only 77 mph in the minivan; not sure how fast it really is in the BMW.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #5349
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
I just got a speeding ticket for
55 in a 40! Cop said that I can plead not guilty and show up to court and he said something about he would help me get the charges lowered or something? Does that mean he will show up lol. He said I made his life super easy as he pulled me over because I was on my bike and I threw my keys to the ground and waited
For his permission to dismount.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #5350
Darkside213

Very nice. That means he's showing up but because you didn't take off, he'll probably ask for a lower charge to be added
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #5351
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

Damn it's be a lot easier of he didn't show up st all lmao! He said he's fonna try to get me to avoid getting a point and going to traffic school.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5352
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Very nice. That means he's showing up but because you didn't take off, he'll probably ask for a lower charge to be added
Ive heard of cases like this before. Couldnt he just write the citation for the lower charge from the get go? Avoids everyone having to go to court?
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #5353
Darkside213

He/she could
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #5354
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Lol what part of Walnut do you live in, Darkside?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #5355
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

So when the judge asks me if I plead guilty, should I say not guilty? LOL. Usually the judge lets me go first I believe.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5356
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Anyone can suggest me what to do or say to court when you go for there for a speedin ticket. This is my first ticket in 6yrs never got pull over before . Cop said I was 90 in 65 hway and lower it to 70 and give me 2points plus 150$ . I dont mind paying just dont want points or insurance to go up. I have plead not guilty and will be going to court in 20days. I have never been in a court before and for any of you who are experience with the process what do you recommend? I don't have money to hire an attorney. I paid 5$ for my driving record which I will take when I go. Anything else I should do? The driving to court is 2 ****ing hrs from my house. Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #5357
evilstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Anyone can suggest me what to do or say to court when you go for there for a speedin ticket. This is my first ticket in 6yrs never got pull over before . Cop said I was 90 in 65 hway and lower it to 70 and give me 2points plus 150$ . I dont mind paying just dont want points or insurance to go up. I have plead not guilty and will be going to court in 20days. I have never been in a court before and for any of you who are experience with the process what do you recommend? I don't have money to hire an attorney. I paid 5$ for my driving record which I will take when I go. Anything else I should do? The driving to court is 2 ****ing hrs from my house. Thanks
im a little confused. did he write yo up for 90 or 70? can you give some clarification regardign the 2points plus $150? speeding by itself at 70 in a 65 is not a 2 point fine. nor is the ammount $150 well not with court fees and such.

A standard ticket of 70 in a 65 would be 1 point and around $300sih. you can go to traffic school to remove the point. which is an additional 25ish to the court and the school cost around 30ish depending where you go. since the court is so far away if your trying to fight it you can do trial by written declaration. besaicly you write why you're not guilty and the officer can/should writes why you are judge reviews it then gives his verdict. if you are found guilty in trial by written declaration. you can retrial in person once. anyhow sounds like you need more clarifications on the citation and research the laws. if you dont find what you are looking for here try seeking help in person from a friend with some experience in these situations.

Last edited by evilstar; 06-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #5358
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
I know this thread is for CA people. I'm located in PA. Here there is no 1 point. It will start from 2 and so on.
He said I was driving 90mph and then he said he will lower it to 70mph. He wrote that in the ticket. If he had wrote me a 90mph ticket, it would had been 5-6 points but he said he said he was in a good mood and wrote me a ticket of 70 which is 2 points in the PA area. for 2 points the ticket is about 110 plus fees and so on, endaed up been 150$. I already send a check and pledge not guilty. I was given a court date which is in 20 days and I'm just trying to figure out what to say . I been reading online a lot but I'm trying to find out if anyone who has gone to court could explain me how the process goes. Is there anything you can say to just say that you will pay the ticket plus fees as long as you don't get points? Also I believe traffic school does not take any points on your record here in PA. If I want to start a written declaration, do I send a letter to the judge in the court or who?

Thanks
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #5359
evilstar

Sorry but I dont know anything about pa law and it sounds like none of the CA stuff applies there.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #5360
Darkside213

Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
So when the judge asks me if I plead guilty, should I say not guilty? LOL. Usually the judge lets me go first I believe.
He'll probably talk to you before trial. If you plead not guilty, then you go to trial and state your case. Lots of judges will say "would you like to go to traffic school and get the point off your record" before you even testify.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa