E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #521
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3
Since a police officer can run a license plate or drivers license at any time, and for any reason (or no reason at all), nothing will show up saying that your plate or license has been run X-amount of times since many contacts are not made because you are necessarily doing something wrong. The only concern you should have is being stopped by the same officer more than once...

yeah, i figured. man, everytime i get off, when i leave, they are like, if i see you again....
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #522
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
alright i have just a quick question for you. so lately, and i mean within the past several months, ive gotten pulled over about 5 times now but knock on wood, been lucky and just given a warning. my question is though, during my "interogation" process, they took my license away everytime and swipped it. i know they are looking to see if im legit/legal...etc. i was wondering also if there is some sort of thing like a tally that also goes on there for just being pulled over. reason why i ask is b/c i don't want to get pulled over again, have the officer say, wow, you have been pulled over such and suck already, you need a ticket now or something.

just a curiousity question, nothing big
In addition to what OHCM3 replied with, keep this in mind: You obviously gave them reason to stop you 5 times in the past few months. And although you've been "lucky" not to get cited, chances are your luck will run out someday... So rather than worrying about them keeping track, I'd worry about "why" you're getting pulled over. JMO
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #523
Alexander

My Ride: SG03M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
I'd worry about "why" you're getting pulled over.
So, uh, do you have any tips? I'm constantly checking my mirrors, around bends, etc., but sometimes they just lay in wait hidden. I know some of the spots, but I can't know them all...
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #524
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
In addition to what OHCM3 replied with, keep this in mind: You obviously gave them reason to stop you 5 times in the past few months. And although you've been "lucky" not to get cited, chances are your luck will run out someday... So rather than worrying about them keeping track, I'd worry about "why" you're getting pulled over. JMO

yeah i know, its so hard not to speed though...
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #525
hovisalan

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
So, uh, do you have any tips? I'm constantly checking my mirrors, around bends, etc., but sometimes they just lay in wait hidden. I know some of the spots, but I can't know them all...
its not like your getting pulled over for not spotting police 500 yrds away, he means your getting pulled over for doing somthing stupid.
hovisalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #526
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovisalan
its not like your getting pulled over for not spotting police 500 yrds away, he means your getting pulled over for doing somthing stupid.
Either that or having mods that are questionable/illegal.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #527
BEn JEn

My Ride: WDYWTK
I just got a parking ticket today for parking in a 1 hour zone. The thing is, my friend is handicap (lung injury) and he has a handicap placard that he hangs when I drive him. He (and I) were under the impression that the handicap placard excludes you from 1) parking time restrictions and 2) paying parking meter fees. We were parked in a residential area that doesn't have a parking meter but I'm still curious about the parking meter bit.

Was I under the wrong impression? If I am right, what is the best way I should go about writing my appeal? I really don't think I deserve a $50 fine, especially for helping out a friend. Advice please.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #528
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEn JEn
I just got a parking ticket today for parking in a 1 hour zone. The thing is, my friend is handicap (lung injury) and he has a handicap placard that he hangs when I drive him. He (and I) were under the impression that the handicap placard excludes you from 1) parking time restrictions and 2) paying parking meter fees. We were parked in a residential area that doesn't have a parking meter but I'm still curious about the parking meter bit.

Was I under the wrong impression? If I am right, what is the best way I should go about writing my appeal? I really don't think I deserve a $50 fine, especially for helping out a friend. Advice please.

I'm not big on parking enforcement, so I'm not 100%, but pretty sure the time restriction does not count for people with the placard. Perhaps the parking enforcement guy was questioning the validity of the permit (not the permit itself, but whether you were actually supposed to be using it)?? I would contact the transportation department that issued it to you and ask them how to properly fight the thing.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #529
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 & 55
on a lighter note...hope the "move" is going/went well.

With only Dial-up, it's going to take you a month to catch up with this thread
You're not kidding!! I'm back, though. I still won't be able to check my email/forums too often, but it shouldn't be two weeks like this time
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #530
frobie15

Quote:
alright i have just a quick question for you. so lately, and i mean within the past several months, ive gotten pulled over about 5 times now but knock on wood, been lucky and just given a warning. my question is though, during my "interogation" process, they took my license away everytime and swipped it. i know they are looking to see if im legit/legal...etc. i was wondering also if there is some sort of thing like a tally that also goes on there for just being pulled over. reason why i ask is b/c i don't want to get pulled over again, have the officer say, wow, you have been pulled over such and suck already, you need a ticket now or something.
There's no record of verbal warnings. So, if I pull someone over, there's no way to tell how many warnings they've got in the last "X" ammount of time.

On the other hand, you've been pulled over five times without a ticket... That's pretty good
Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #531
frobie15

Quote:
So if I'm crusing along in the #1 lane in moderate traffic, and closing quickly on another driver in the #1 lane, would you prefer that I:

1) Change lanes and pass. (This tends to end up looking like weaving.)
2) Come up behind him in the hopes that he will move over, and change lanes to pass if he doesn't.
3) " " , and use left turn signal to request he move over.
4) " " , and flash brights to request he move over.
It's all up to you. None of the options that you suggest are illegal. Therefore none of them would be better than the other. In a perfect world, the other car would check their mirrors and move over as you were approaching. But good luck with that

Personally, I'd just change lanes tot he right and pass them. If you beam them, they're usually going to get pissed off and slow down. If you use your turn signal, they won't have the slightest clue what you're trying to do (This is America afterall). Changing lanes to pass someone doesn't look like weaving, but it will draw attention to you.

Quote:
Also, how are carpool violations usually enforced? From the rear in the carpool lane? From the left lane of the main roadway? Only when pulling over for other violations?
it depends on the location. I've written them from the #1 lane of the main portion, the center median, and from directly in front of and behind the car. Also, there are/were times that I would drive in teh car pool lane and leave a huge gap in front of me to see if a car would jump across the double yellows in to the car pool lane.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #532
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotiq
i think i'm going to try to go to court for my illegal u-turn ticket. Do you think it'll be worth it? i'm hoping for the cop not to show up or atleast a fee reduction
If the fee is only $100 or so, I'd be surprised if you got it reduced. And the officer will probably show up, so don't count on that. In your situation, the best bet would be a trial by declaration. I guess you could always do a TBD and request a fee reduction in the case that you're found guilty
Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #533
frobie15

Quote:
yeah i know, its so hard not to speed though...
Two words for you

Cruise Control

Use it, it's the only way that I don't fly everywhere!

Thank you Sam
Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #534
frobie15

Quote:
Checking on-ramps and mirrors are the best way to avoid tickets on the freeways. And other than a radar detector, the best thing to do is to stay within tne miles per hour of the speed limit. "Nine you're fine, ten you're mine." It's a great little saying....
Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #535
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEn JEn

I have no idea about the Handicapped placard and parking limits. And I, too, am not big on parking enforcement, so you'd have to check with the department that issued it.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #536
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Checking on-ramps and mirrors are the best way to avoid tickets on the freeways. And other than a radar detector, the best thing to do is to stay within tne miles per hour of the speed limit. "Nine you're fine, ten you're mine." It's a great little saying....
Checking the onramps is the single best piece of advice you can get. I don't know how many times I've quickly glanced to see a cop chillen there waiting to pounce on someone. Then there's the on and off trick they like to pull. Just because the cop exits the freeway doesn't mean he's not coming back on right away.

I got popped once by a motorcycle CHP but that was bad luck. We coincidentally met simultaneously (onramp he was merging from was a hill so I didn't see him until it was too late) and I was going 85mph. He was going something in the neighborhood of that so my dumb ass pretty much passed him. Pleaded not guilty and he didn't show up to court. Whew!

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #537
Mliner
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: Boosted ZCP E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mliner Send a message via Yahoo to Mliner
Hey, I got a question for you. Here's the story....

Me and my friend got a ticket tonight. The cop pulled him over first and I stayed back thinking that the cop didn't siren me down. So I put it in reverse {while my friend is pulled over waiting for the cop} and the cop hears me and goes into reverse then says "Pull over, and go park in back of your friend"}. So I go park by my friend, and the officer comes down and asks me to start my car and rev till 4k....he got me for Modified exhaust, front plate, front tint. I have my front winsheild tinted also. But the ticket says front tint. Does that mean I have to remove the side tints or just the front? My friend and I GOT THE TICKET AT THE SAME TIME!....Can a cop do that? On both of our citations, it has the same officers name.

On the citation the officer marked off NO for correctable violation on the tinted windows. So does that mean I only have to pay a fine? or, do I just have to show it to an officer?

This happened in Glendale. Is there any way that you can sign it off for us or help us out so we don't have to go through all this hassle?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Mliner; 05-21-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Mliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #538
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Frobie, got a question for you about fighting a ticket.

If the cop does show up, should I just plead guilty, and ask for a reduction? or attempt to fight it, though I probably have no chance in hell.

Also, it hasnt been 18 months since my last traffic school, but can I take it when it becomes 18 months to take a point off even after Ive paid the ticket?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 05-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #539
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
I just read the paper they sent me.
To get a court date I have to sign and check a box that says Im entering a plea that is "not guilty" and will get a court date later.
So... I guess I cant really decided when Im there to plead either way, is this true?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #540
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliner
Hey, I got a question for you. Here's the story....

Me and my friend got a ticket tonight. The cop pulled him over first and I stayed back thinking that the cop didn't siren me down. So I put it in reverse {while my friend is pulled over waiting for the cop} and the cop hears me and goes into reverse then says "Pull over, and go park in back of your friend"}. So I go park by my friend, and the officer comes down and asks me to start my car and rev till 4k....he got me for Modified exhaust, front plate, front tint. I have my front winsheild tinted also. But the ticket says front tint. Does that mean I have to remove the side tints or just the front? My friend and I GOT THE TICKET AT THE SAME TIME!....Can a cop do that? On both of our citations, it has the same officers name.

On the citation the officer marked off NO for correctable violation on the tinted windows. So does that mean I only have to pay a fine? or, do I just have to show it to an officer?

This happened in Glendale. Is there any way that you can sign it off for us or help us out so we don't have to go through all this hassle?

Thank you for your time.
Pulling two people over at once is a wonderful thing...reason being is that I cannot feasibly control the actions of both cars, so you really only focus on one car and if the other one actually stops too, its a bonus. It is perfectly legal, and you can site as many people as you can get to pull over.

As for the tint, when you go to have the correction checked, they will look at all windows to the front, so you will need to take it all off...

Since its correctable, you should have to only pay a $10 fee

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa