E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #5481
UTL1098
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 1,553
My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Lol
__________________
UTL1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #5482
donb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 243
My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to donb Send a message via Yahoo to donb
ok i did not know, but know now, that someone can be arrested for being drunk without any tests.

i guess i better not act any way out of sorts the next time i am pulled over or i may get arrested for being drunk in public.

last time i got pulled over, the officer kept repeatedly shining the flashlight in my eyes.

i told my son that while he was friendly talking to the officer, he may have been saying things that didn't make sense. my son even admitted that he didn't remember the entire conversation.

so i bet the officer was like, this kid isn't making any sense, was in a car with a guy he doesn't know, doesn't remember getting in the car, and didn't know where he was until the car crashed. yep, he's drunk.

thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
Even though your son was being respectful does not mean he would have been able to care for himself. People behave differently when intoxicated; some get chatty, angry, silent, and some, overly respectful. Plus if he told the officer he got into a car with someone he didn't even know, fell asleep, etc., that was more evidence the officer probably used to make the decision to arrest your son. As someone else stated, we are experts in DUI. I could look at someone and have a good idea whether they're over, under or near the legal limit. Performing field sobriety tests helps me determine which it really is. However, there is no "limit" when you're a passenger and that's why no tests were given to your son. Hopefully that makes sense.
donb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #5483
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Def complain on that sheriff
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #5484
gnm668
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 1
My Ride: 330
Unhappy

I'm new here and haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet, but I just got pulled over and wanted to get an opinion or two. Just a disclaimer, I have nothing against the police. Some are cool, some aren't. That said, I've had my good and bad experiences with them. My uncle is a police officer in East Palo Alto as well.

I'm driving down El Camino, and we see a SCPD car so my dad tells me to stay behind him, which I do. I'm in the far left lane, and the patrol car is in the middle. The patrol car starts to brake, so I slow down as well. As he comes to a complete stop, I pass him.

I was curious as to why he was stopping. I thought he may have seen I have no front license plate on my car (I already have a citation for this, the prior owner kept his plates), or maybe he saw something or someone doing something illegal, I wasn't sure. I've notice patrol cars do strange things sometimes in order to maneuver or something. So I pass him and see a pedestrian crossing the crosswalk, about to walk through the middle lane. At this point, I'm going too fast to stop, and to be honest I didn't see the pedestrian until I was passing him already. So I immediately think, I'm getting pulled over.

There is no light or stop sign at this crosswalk, and I failed to notice if there was a pedestrian crossing sign. I drive down this block of El Camino almost everyday and never noticed a sign there, and seldom does anyone ever cross there. I do know there is a crosswalk there though.

So the officer pulls me over and asks me if I knew why he pulled me over. I say, "Was it because there was a person crossing?" I don't remember exactly what he said, but he starts lecturing me about crosswalks and why they are there. He's being a dick. I'm aware that they are for pedestrians. I'm courteous when it comes to pedestrians; I won't burn rubber at the corner to make a right turn before someone is able to walk, and I'll come to stops in order to let them pass most of the time even if there isn't a cross walk. He begins to be kind after he gives me a ticket. Also, I'm not really sure why, but another officer in an SUV patrol car pulls up and talks to him. I can see the officer that pulled me over motioning with his hands explaining the situation, and then the officer that pulled up in the SUV laughs and leaves. That kind of pissed me off.

Here's my main argument. I didn't see the pedestrian because the cop car was blocking my view of him. From the questions the officer asked, it seemed as if I should've come to a complete stop because he did, but I didn't realize he was coming to a complete stop. I slowed down when I saw his brake lights and when he came to a complete stop, he stopped quickly, if not abruptly. So if I did try to stop I would've had to slam on my brakes. Basically, I didn't know that I had to stop, because there was no way of me knowing that there was something to stop for.

Maybe, I was ignorant of the crosswalk, but because my view of the pedestrian was blocked, and I didn't see anything that alerted me, I continued on. The officer didn't even give me a chance to explain why I didn't see him, interrupted me, and just said, "Well, that's fine." Before going to his car to write the ticket; I felt like I was participating in the presidential debate. When he came back and we had a chance to explain he just told me and my father that it was something that we could tell the judge, and from what I've heard the judges here are definitely not empathetic.

I honestly don't feel like I deserved a ticket, only a warning. It's not like I sped by in order to get past the pedestrian because I didn't want to stop or anything, which I see all the time. Sorry it's so long, I'm probably just ranting. What makes me more angry is that I can't even go to court alone. I have to go with my dad because I'm a minor still.

Last edited by gnm668; 10-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.
gnm668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #5485
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
You have a driver license yes? It's is YOUR responsibility to pay attention to everything on the roadway. You should have been looking far ahead of you (ur supposed to do that anyway) and not just at the cop car. Because you were so focused on it, you failed to see the ped. I would have pulled you over too. Not sure i would have cited, but def pulled over
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421



Last edited by Darkside213; 10-25-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #5486
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 953
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnm668 View Post
...
The pedestrian probably thinks the cop wasn't nearly enough of a dick to you after you sailed through a crosswalk they were most of the way across. The pedestrian would probably be pissed off if you only got a warning.

You say you don't need the cop's attitude and don't need a lecture about crosswalks. Yet you sailed through one that had a person in it, and here you are complaining about getting a ticket instead of a warning. Your actions do not indicate that you have a real grasp of how serious the situation is.

It's your responsibility as a driver to be aware of what's going on around you, especially in front of you and along the sides of the road you're traveling. Just looking straight ahead isn't enough.

You have to look past/through the cars in front of you. If you ever rear end someone, it will almost certainly be because of something that happened in front of them, so looking ahead of them is the best way to know what theyre going to react to sooner.

You need to glance at side streets and scan sidewalks because that's the next most likely place for something/someone to pop out of and end up in front of you.

It sounds like you were focused on the cop car (happens a lot, you just need to learn not to do it) and failed to stay aware of what was ahead and to each side of you.

Or the cop car created a blind spot for you and you failed to handle that very well. If something's blocking your view, you need to change your position to account for that (back off, pull alongside/pass, change lanes), or change your driving to account for that ("I can't see ahead and to the left, so I need to proceed carefully until I can"). You'll spend a lot of your driving life with stuff like semis, delivery trucks, SUVs, dumpsters, landscaping, etc, that obstructs your view. You gotta develop awareness and skills for handling that.

And when it comes to pedestrians, you just need to spend the rest of your driving life erring on the side of caution, slowing down for intersections, stopping for crosswalks, etc. I promise you its better to get rear ended several times in your life than run over a pedestrian once.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #5487
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Just over the crest with a radar gun!
Posts: 1,775
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Congrats to the CHP CTC grads today. My buddy just graduated! Another one joins the club.


Carry on....
__________________
Sou Instrutor de Capoeira ate' morrer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #5488
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Dood my classmate just graduated (he talked back to evoc for III-09 so they failed him)! Really happy for them. You gonna work him out so he can get buff like you?
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #5489
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Just over the crest with a radar gun!
Posts: 1,775
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Dood my classmate just graduated (he talked back to evoc for III-09 so they failed him)! Really happy for them. You gonna work him out so he can get buff like you?
Haha...I plan to once he settles in. Damn, so did your buddy get caught up in the freeze and the contract negotiations?
__________________
Sou Instrutor de Capoeira ate' morrer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #5490
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Dood my classmate just graduated (he talked back to evoc for III-09 so they failed him)! Really happy for them. You gonna work him out so he can get buff like you?
WHat did he say to get failed out?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #5491
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Haha...I plan to once he settles in. Damn, so did your buddy get caught up in the freeze and the contract negotiations?
Yep! He simply said he knew what an apex was which they considered talking back
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #5492
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Yep! He simply said he knew what an apex was which they considered talking back
They failed him for that?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #5493
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Yep. The dood is a better driver than me.
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #5494
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Yep. The dood is a better driver than me.
Well that's not saying much








I kid, i kid!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #5495
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #5496
Devious1
Invalid User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cerritos, CA
Posts: 10,826
My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
i come in peace
__________________
Devious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #5497
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Sup dood?
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #5498
UTL1098
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 1,553
My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnm668 View Post
Here's my main argument. I didn't see the pedestrian because the cop car was blocking my view of him.
Hope you have something better for the judge when you go, I mean your dad takes you, to court. I've seen so many people drive like idiots on ECR and I've almost been T-boned by someone who ran a red. Keep in mind that driving is a privilege. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and make sure you learn from it. A ticket is much cheaper than an involuntary manslaughter charge.
__________________
UTL1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #5499
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
^this
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421


Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #5500
hizhinezz
Outlier
 
hizhinezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,509
My Ride: 01 330i
Got pulled on the 101 near SFO for 80sh in a 65 the other day and let go with a warning. As Ive caught several other tickets In the last year, almost entirely like this one for moving slightly faster than traffic during commute to and from work, I just want to say thanks to the officer involved for giving me a break. I understand that driving is a privilege and I need to back off a bit, but honestly once again I'd simply lost track of my rate of speed while moving along with the pack. I know I can't depend on such leniency in the future but a break once in a while goes along way toward getting me to pay attention and keep the foot out of the accelerator.
__________________

Last edited by hizhinezz; 11-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use