E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #41
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiguy
1) After being pulled over by a law officer (e.g. speeding), say they ask you for consent to search the vehicle. What happens if the driver does not comply?
The laws for search and seizure are REALLY indepth and, honestly, can be confusing. Bottom line is this. If they ask for your consent to search, you don't have to let them. It will, obviously, make them think that you are trying to hide something, but whatever. If you don't let them search your car, they can't do anything about it. If they have probable cause to get into your car (smell weed, see gun, etc.) then there's nothing you can do. They can search to their hearts content.
Quote:
2) If the officer asks the driver to roll up the front windows, does one have to comply?
I struggle with this one. Legally, I don't know. I've never bothered to look it up. Is it a search? Here's what happened to me. When I was in High School I was riding home with a friend of mine. We lived in a little two-bit town with bored-out-of-their-grape cops, one of which pulled us over for no front plate. The windows on the car were down from the time we left the parking lot at the school. He asked my friend to roll the window up, my friend agreed, and got a ticket for tinted windows, too. When I stop people, I usually already know if their windows are tinted. When I walk up to a car and everything is rolled down, 99.9% of the time, it's because the windows are tinted. I'll straight up ask people if their windows are down because they're tinted. Come on, do ya think I was born yesterday??? Depending on how dark, I'll probably let it slide... If they don't argue with me about why the windows are down, or that they didn't know that it was illegal, they probably won't get a ticket. Again, this is just me, and alot of other officers will write 'em up.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #42
bimmerboi330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I have a quick question. I was pulled over last Dec for 35 in a 25 and not stopping at a stop sign. I am curently fighting this ticket. I admit I didn't stop however I didn't go over the limit, this road has speed bumps, 4 to be exact down less a 1/4 mile stretch, and my 330 and speedcumps don't like each other. It was night and the officer did not use his radar. On the ticket he crossed out the radar box, and posted approx vehicle speed as 35.

The next part is although I didn't stop I know the officer didn't see me not stop. The reason is I think he would have commented on a braking drift that I did in the intersection, (there was no one around it was 11:30 at night and I was late). The road is divided and in the middle there are low orange trees and palm trees.

My questions:
1) What can I say about the speeding, is it possible for an officer to pace in between speed bumps after having to turn his car around on a divided road?

2) Is it possible to argue that he did not see me blow the stop sign without admiting the reason why I know he didn't see it?

3) I was eligible for traffic school when I got this ticket, am I still eligible when I go up in front of the judge, and if so, how do I ask him for it?

4) Can I get one of the charges dropped as to lower my fine?

Thanks in advance man! Much appriciated!!!

Cardomain.com
Dinan CAI, High Flow Throttle Body, Stage 3 Software, Front Strut Bar, K&N Air Filter, Black Roundels, Euro Plate, Predator Chromiums
Romanian Pride
JleviSW Authorized Installer

Last edited by bimmerboi330; 03-24-2006 at 02:13 PM.
bimmerboi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #43
hifiguy

My Ride: 2004 m3
Send a message via ICQ to hifiguy Send a message via AIM to hifiguy
Much obliged, thanks for taking the time to answer. I've always wondered about the above situations so thanks for shedding some light.

It's true that most of these issues simply require common sense, but having some advce from someone on the inside doesn't hurt.

clear bra, ceramic tint 60F/50R, bel rx65, pss9, dixis, le-37, yellow belts
hifiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #44
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
question - do u find urself fighting or being aware of social stereotypes when patrolling?

say young black kid in a nice car? u look twice - and check the plates if valid? maybe even follow him for a bit?

do u feel like u cut breaks to the pretty blonde girl driving her eclipse? versus the hispanic man with a sh1tty car?

im curious.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #45
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
No, a ticket can't be written. But now that I know what your car looks like
Old 03-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #46
Wills330ci

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Send a message via AIM to Wills330ci
on your CHP link with all the laws stated: it says laser jammers are illegal. So if I get pulled over with one on me; is that an automatic ticket WITH a fine?
Wills330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #47
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
Quote:
Tint... I've posted my thoughts of it in other threads before, it goes like this. If (hopefully when) California legalizes tinted front side windows, I'll be on of the first in line to get it done. If I wouldn't get in trouble for it at work, my car would be 35% all the way around (I think that looks the best, MHO). Until then; As long as I can see through the front windows to see if the driver is wearing a seatbelt, then I won't stop the car JUST for tinted windows. I may throw in the tint if I stop them for speeding.
hey frobie i give you props for that i wish cops around here were like you cuz i serioulsy don't speed or do crazy stuff ... just my tints got me pulled over 2-3 times i forgot already.. i gave up .. i'm tintless now!!

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #48
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
hey one more thing um... regarding the searching car issue.. would there be enough "probable cause" if they think your car is modded like.. lets say you have angel eyes and the cop says that because you have angel eyes he thinks there is a potential you have a supercharger in your car or something .. can you still say no to the search?

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #49
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Frobie, imagine I'm driving North on I-5 from LA to Sac on a Saturday morning around 2 am. What would you say is the maximum speed I can set my cruise control without getting pulled over? 80, 85? Traffic on that stretch moves fast at night, I get passed by people going 90+ all the time.

Same situation, if I get pulled over for 90 or so, and I explain I was just overtaking a truck(s), is that a legit excuse? Trucks travel way too fast on I-5, it can get really dangerous, how come cops don't regulate on these truckers?

About front plates.. My car has a euro delivery plate on the front; when citing me for speeding, cops have mentioned it but never ticketed me for it. Is a euro plate a good enough reason to stop someone who's not speeding? What about all the cars in Cali with no front plates, is it ok to not have a plate if there is no plate mount on the front bumper?

Thanks officer for the very generous thread.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #50
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
What are your views on Marijuana? Say if you saw a car that was driving obediently but with no front plate or tints or something, and you pulled it over and upon doing so noticed that the 4 occupants are all wearing Bob Marley or some kind of rastafarian shirt/clothes. The car has the slight aftersmell of herb. A few of the people inside are obviously high. Would you book them anyway, even if they followed the road rules and appeared to be civilized and law-abiding?

Would you go through the trouble of taking anybody in soley based on Marijuana? I dont mean catching somebody with an oz/lb drug trafficking, I mean somebody with a quarter ounce who got pulled over for speeding and happened to have some on them.

How do most other cops view this? Do they hate MJ with a passion? Do they not really care?

Have you ever shot somebody?

Whats the most dangerous situation you have been in so far in your career?

If your on the freeway and a very fast car (i.e; ///M3, 996 tt...) comes zooming past you at 120+ and shows no sign of slowing down, would you be willing to take it into the high triple digits to catch them? I have been told that if you are speeding at 100+ and pass a cop, then you should by NO means slow down because that gives them opportunity to catch you. If your already going that fast, chances are when you slow down thats when the cop will move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #51
jonaphn

My Ride: 2006 Black/Red GTO
first part of the Q: what do you do if you notice in your rearview mirror that someone is speeding (125+ in this case), but instead of speeding pass you they pull up behind you and cruise at your speed?

second part of the Q: does the time of the violation matter to most cops? would you not write someone a ticket if they're speeding at 2AM vs. 7PM.

great thread by the way! this really should be made sticky.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #52
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi330
My questions:
1) What can I say about the speeding, is it possible for an officer to pace in between speed bumps after having to turn his car around on a divided road?
Visual estimation. If the Officer is radar certified, then he has to be accurate at visually estimating speed. So, with the speed being an approximation, then he looked, saw you going ABOUT 35, and added that on, too.
Quote:
2) Is it possible to argue that he did not see me blow the stop sign without admiting the reason why I know he didn't see it?
Clear line of sight to the limit line/curb line. Is he 100% sure that your car came to a full and complete stop. I will only write rolling a stop sign if someone blatantly blows through it at 10mph and doesn't even try to stop.
Quote:
3) I was eligible for traffic school when I got this ticket, am I still eligible when I go up in front of the judge, and if so, how do I ask him for it?
I don't know which court you're going to, but I know that alot of them treat traffic school as a priviledge. If you show up to court just to see if the officer is going to come, that's fine. Some of the judges say that the last time you can take traffic school is before testifying. It's their way of making sure that you're serious about your reason for fighting it. They'll ask you if you want to take traffic school at some point, otherwise, just ask he judge respectfully, "Can I attend traffic school?"
Quote:
4) Can I get one of the charges dropped as to lower my fine?
That's entirely up to the judge/court.

Last edited by frobie15; 03-24-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #53
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
question - do u find urself fighting or being aware of social stereotypes when patrolling?

say young black kid in a nice car? u look twice - and check the plates if valid? maybe even follow him for a bit?

do u feel like u cut breaks to the pretty blonde girl driving her eclipse? versus the hispanic man with a sh1tty car?
I could care less about race. Are there jokes about Asians being bad drivers, sure. But there's plenty of jokes about old people, and whatever. Like I said before, I don't give breaks to very many people. And race/age is definitely not the factor that matters.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #54
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlaznkid
hey one more thing um... regarding the searching car issue.. would there be enough "probable cause" if they think your car is modded like.. lets say you have angel eyes and the cop says that because you have angel eyes he thinks there is a potential you have a supercharger in your car or something .. can you still say no to the search?
There are some people that will argure that modified exhaust is a reason to get under the hood. But modified lighting isn't a good enough reason. But I don't really care. Most Officers don't have the proper training to do a mechanical inspection. I can look under a hood and say, "That's alot of modified smog stuff." But that's the only ticket that I could write. And, depending on the car/driver, I probably wouldn't even write the ticket.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #55
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch325
Frobie, imagine I'm driving North on I-5 from LA to Sac on a Saturday morning around 2 am. What would you say is the maximum speed I can set my cruise control without getting pulled over? 80, 85? Traffic on that stretch moves fast at night, I get passed by people going 90+ all the time.
People ask me this alot. The technical answer is, "speed limit." The actual answer is, "It all depends." Alot of Officers use the simple rule of, "9 you're fine, 10 your mine." But keep in mind that I've written people for five over the limit...
Quote:
Same situation, if I get pulled over for 90 or so, and I explain I was just overtaking a truck(s), is that a legit excuse? Trucks travel way too fast on I-5, it can get really dangerous, how come cops don't regulate on these truckers?
I agree, the tucks straight up fly on the I-5. I can't wait to get up to the Coalinga Office and start playing "Trucker F*cker." But, that excuse isn't going to cut it. Bottom line is that if you're going 90, don't even bother trying to come up with an excuse.
Quote:
About front plates.. My car has a euro delivery plate on the front; when citing me for speeding, cops have mentioned it but never ticketed me for it. Is a euro plate a good enough reason to stop someone who's not speeding? What about all the cars in Cali with no front plates, is it ok to not have a plate if there is no plate mount on the front bumper?
The euro plate isn't legal. You could get a ticket for it. It's not the state issued license plate, and, therefore illegal. Same thing as not having a front plate, technically. And, not having holes in your bumper isn't an excuse. You're supposed to have the plate, if you don't, you could get a ticket. Is it a good enough reason to pull someone over? Not for me.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #56
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaphn
first part of the Q: what do you do if you notice in your rearview mirror that someone is speeding (125+ in this case), but instead of speeding pass you they pull up behind you and cruise at your speed?

second part of the Q: does the time of the violation matter to most cops? would you not write someone a ticket if they're speeding at 2AM vs. 7PM.
1st -- You're gonna get stopped and talked to. If I estimate that you're going that fast, you'll probably get a ticket, too. But I wouldn't write you for the full amount. It's a little bit harder to estimate speed in a mirror, but you can still do it.

2nd -- Yes. Time is one of the factors that I take into consideration. Along with traffic, weather, driving style.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #57
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface
What are your views on Marijuana? Say if you saw a car that was driving obediently but with no front plate or tints or something, and you pulled it over and upon doing so noticed that the 4 occupants are all wearing Bob Marley or some kind of rastafarian shirt/clothes. The car has the slight aftersmell of herb. A few of the people inside are obviously high. Would you book them anyway, even if they followed the road rules and appeared to be civilized and law-abiding?
Yes. Would I take somebody to jail for being drunk even if the only reason why I stopped them is tinted windows. So, why would I give someone a break for being under the influence of something that's illegal? If nothing else, they'll get a ticket, and absolutely NO le-way on whatever's wrong with their car.

Quote:
Would you go through the trouble of taking anybody in soley based on Marijuana? I dont mean catching somebody with an oz/lb drug trafficking, I mean somebody with a quarter ounce who got pulled over for speeding and happened to have some on them.
As long as they're not under the influence, then they'll just get a ticket for the possession, as long as it's less than an ounce.

Quote:
How do most other cops view this? Do they hate MJ with a passion? Do they not really care?
I can't answer for them. We all have options. Alot of the time, I'll just grind the weed into the ground and ignore it. Again, depending on the amount, and the driver's attitude.

Quote:
Have you ever shot somebody?
Nope. Gun out ALOT, but never had to use it, thankfully. Been in one fight where I had to stick a guy. I usually use verbal judo, and control the situation before it gets to that point.

Quote:
Whats the most dangerous situation you have been in so far in your career?
I'm not sure of the single most dangerous situation. Usually it's traffic related. Rain night, lanes blocked, flares won't stay lit, blind curve. I've never been in a situation where I was scared out of my mind.

Quote:
If your on the freeway and a very fast car (i.e; ///M3, 996 tt...) comes zooming past you at 120+ and shows no sign of slowing down, would you be willing to take it into the high triple digits to catch them? I have been told that if you are speeding at 100+ and pass a cop, then you should by NO means slow down because that gives them opportunity to catch you. If your already going that fast, chances are when you slow down thats when the cop will move in.
Radio. Shoot past me at those speeds, and you're likely to get called in to the next unit. I'll try to catch up to you, but it all depends. The real question is this. Why wouldn't you stop? You broke the law, you pass a cop, you need to face the consequences. Is it unsafe to travel at those speeds? Absolutely. So why are you doing it in the first place?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #58
XBN`grind

My Ride: 2005 325i
Send a message via AIM to XBN`grind Send a message via Yahoo to XBN`grind
There's been a lot of talk about illegal tint, and one question keeps popping in my head. If it's illegal, shouldn't it be illegal for installers to put it on? Wouldn't it be easier to just fine shops who do illegal tints than going around stopping everyone with dark tints? I think this would make your job easier I personally don't even like tinting, plus I want the person to see my dirty looks when they tailgate me
Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #59
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBN`grind
There's been a lot of talk about illegal tint, and one question keeps popping in my head. If it's illegal, shouldn't it be illegal for installers to put it on? Wouldn't it be easier to just fine shops who do illegal tints than going around stopping everyone with dark tints? I think this would make your job easier I personally don't even like tinting, plus I want the person to see my dirty looks when they tailgate me
There is a section of the Vehicle Code that makes it illegal for an installer to put if on. I understand that you don't like tint, but that makes you one of probably four people on this forum that don't like tint. It would make it easier for me if the shops just wouldn't do it, but, what are you gonna do? Wouldn't it also be nicer if bars wouldn't let people get drunk? Or, what if every car was electronically limited to 75mph? There wouldn't be so many speed related crashes. There's alot of things that would be nice, or make my job eaiser, but it's not always going to happen.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #60
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
Quote:
Radio. Shoot past me at those speeds, and you're likely to get called in to the next unit. I'll try to catch up to you, but it all depends. The real question is this. Why wouldn't you stop? You broke the law, you pass a cop, you need to face the consequences. Is it unsafe to travel at those speeds? Absolutely. So why are you doing it in the first place?
It is unsafe but to me it depends on the time, kind of road(bumps no bumps for example 101 west going towards Zoom beach is a place where i think it is "safe" to do it with a certain car), traffic (cars no cars). Well lets the conditions are the "safest possible" would u still bother?

Honest answer plz: If i am doing 130 and u enter the freeway at that time doing 50-60 MPH on the entrance ramp. Do u think i have good chance of getting away by speeding till I dont see u in the mirror and exiting right after.

Sorry for childish questions too happy to have this opportunity.

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa