E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #61
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 Avus Blue M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBN`grind
There's been a lot of talk about illegal tint, and one question keeps popping in my head. If it's illegal, shouldn't it be illegal for installers to put it on? Wouldn't it be easier to just fine shops who do illegal tints than going around stopping everyone with dark tints? I think this would make your job easier I personally don't even like tinting, plus I want the person to see my dirty looks when they tailgate me
Actually most tint shops make you sign a waiver before putting tint on your car. Just so they're not liable.
Chris@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #62
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

I've actually been pondering this thought for a while..

Say at a stop light, when the light turns green, the person accelerates as fast as possible to the speed limit without squeeling the tires. Would that be an infraction?

I tend to do that to get the need for speed out of my system for a short bit.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #63
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks
I've actually been pondering this thought for a while..

Say at a stop light, when the light turns green, the person accelerates as fast as possible to the speed limit without squeeling the tires. Would that be an infraction?

I tend to do that to get the need for speed out of my system for a short bit.
Good question

I do the same thing too then I start looking in the rear view mirror for red & blue lights
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #64
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Actually most tint shops make you sign a waiver before putting tint on your car. Just so they're not liable.
When I got my 3er tinted, the guy finished working on it, gave me the keys... I walk out, look across the parking lot and sure enough, CHP car parked two row down facing me...

Needless to say, I paced back and forth in the parking lot for about 1/2 hour until they finished eating lunch their and drove off.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #65
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubbheads
It is unsafe but to me it depends on the time, kind of road(bumps no bumps for example 101 west going towards Zoom beach is a place where i think it is "safe" to do it with a certain car), traffic (cars no cars). Well lets the conditions are the "safest possible" would u still bother?

Honest answer plz: If i am doing 130 and u enter the freeway at that time doing 50-60 MPH on the entrance ramp. Do u think i have good chance of getting away by speeding till I dont see u in the mirror and exiting right after.

Sorry for childish questions too happy to have this opportunity.
I-5 through Camp Pendleton would be another place where higher speeds could be argued as less unsafe. You asked for an honest answer, and I've been giving them. If I were to enter the freeway and see a car shoot past me in the #1 lane that's just flat out flying, I'd try to give chase. As soon as I realized that I wasn't going to be able to catch it, I'd give up. But, while I was trying to catch up to it, I'd be radioing ahead to let other units know that there's C car going S speed in D direction on R road. If there's another unit in position, then you get hit in the pooper with reckless driving. If there's no unit available, then you get away with it. If you stop, you'll be more likely to get away with ONLY a ticket, and no jail time.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #66
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
When I got my 3er tinted, the guy finished working on it, gave me the keys... I walk out, look across the parking lot and sure enough, CHP car parked two row down facing me...

Needless to say, I paced back and forth in the parking lot for about 1/2 hour until they finished eating lunch their and drove off.
You always have to consider the fact that if there's no officer in the car, then the car's not going to follow you. As much cool stuff as we might have, we don't have K.I.T.T.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #67
frobie15

Quote:
It could be exhibition of speed. For something to be considered exhibition, all it takes is ONE other person (in your car, in another car, on the sidewalk). Pick the right spot, and you won't have an issue. Do this during rush hour on a busy street, and you might get jacked up for it. I'd rather see you get your need for speed out doing this than driving 100mph on the freeway!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #68
XBN`grind

My Ride: 2005 325i
Send a message via AIM to XBN`grind Send a message via Yahoo to XBN`grind
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
There is a section of the Vehicle Code that makes it illegal for an installer to put if on. I understand that you don't like tint, but that makes you one of probably four people on this forum that don't like tint. It would make it easier for me if the shops just wouldn't do it, but, what are you gonna do? Wouldn't it also be nicer if bars wouldn't let people get drunk? Or, what if every car was electronically limited to 75mph? There wouldn't be so many speed related crashes. There's alot of things that would be nice, or make my job eaiser, but it's not always going to happen.
I don't think those analogies are correct. I just don't see how you can sell something that's illegal. Selling beer and cars are items that are not illegal. Selling to minors is, hence they get investigated, and probably fined. Just seems easier to go after the people selling illegal tint. Go to the source. I could be totally wrong, but that just seems more efficient to me.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #69
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Frobie, you skipped me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider
Hey frobie15, heres a quick one for ya. Do you make personal notes of the citations you write? I am pleading no contest to an improper lane change here in florida but the court date is 2.5 months away from when the citation was written and i am afraid he will not remember it. Reason i want him to remember is because i was super respectful and even apologized several times.

Thanks for making this thread by the way.

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #70
ironicdesigns
Account Under Review

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via ICQ to ironicdesigns Send a message via AIM to ironicdesigns Send a message via MSN to ironicdesigns Send a message via Yahoo to ironicdesigns
hahaha frobie +respect points for this thread
ironicdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #71
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Hey Frobie, say one of us is cruising down 5 at a spirited clip. If you pull us over, how are we going to know it's you? Secret handshake?
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #72
penguintheory

My Ride: 3.0L Saloon
Send a message via AIM to penguintheory
Unbelievable. Frobie's switch to the Fresno area came one month too late for my 98 mph citation.

That being said, shot you a PM regarding details following that ticket, Frobie...
Old 03-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #73
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBN`grind
I don't think those analogies are correct. I just don't see how you can sell something that's illegal. Selling beer and cars are items that are not illegal. Selling to minors is, hence they get investigated, and probably fined. Just seems easier to go after the people selling illegal tint. Go to the source. I could be totally wrong, but that just seems more efficient to me.
In regards to the tint shops vs. selling alcohol to minors, you have to think of it this way. Tinting a car is an infraction (one in which there is really no harm done). Selling alcohol to a minor is a Misdemeanor (and a crime in which there will be harm done to someone). I agree that it would br more efficient, but there isn't the man power to worry about a large-scale sting operation to bust tint shops.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #74
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider
Hey frobie15, heres a quick one for ya. Do you make personal notes of the citations you write? I am pleading no contest to an improper lane change here in florida but the court date is 2.5 months away from when the citation was written and i am afraid he will not remember it. Reason i want him to remember is because i was super respectful and even apologized several times.
Sorry that I skipped you, but I think I'm getting five or six posts per day that I'm trying to give decent answer to, and you got lost in the shuffle...

Yeah, I take notes on the back of EVERY ticket I write. Things like traffic conditions/flow, what lane I and they were in, how many cars they passed, how many people were in the car, etc. I also make a note of a couple other things, one of which is attitude. If somone tells me "Thank you" I'm going to make a note of it. Same as if they start yelling at me....... Usually when I look at the place of the stop, and the car that they were driving, I can remember the majority of the ticket just from that.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #75
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicdesigns
hahaha frobie +respect points for this thread
Thank you....... Just trying to help out some fellow car dorks like myself

Thank you Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #76
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Hey Frobie, say one of us is cruising down 5 at a spirited clip. If you pull us over, how are we going to know it's you? Secret handshake?
While my first name has been thrown out a couple of times (it's Joel, FWIW). My last name and badge number haven't. I would venture to guess that if I stop an E46 on the I-5, I might make myself known. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Although, it's going to entertain me to no end if I stop someone and they try to name drop myself to me! You know, "I know this CHP Officer, his name's Joel. I can't remember his last name." To which I'd have to start laughing and pepper spray you or something
Old 03-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #77
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintheory
Unbelievable. Frobie's switch to the Fresno area came one month too late for my 98 mph citation.

That being said, shot you a PM regarding details following that ticket, Frobie...
You got PM'd!

I doubt that my being in the area would've helped you....
Old 03-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #78
l2dopel

My Ride: 01' 325i
here's a question. what if i have a prescription from my optometrist saying i need tint? he just gave it to me for my stigmatism but i havent gotten anything yet because i dont know if i can do it or up to what percentage. and if u do pull me over for tint and i have no front plate, if u happen to see my prescription would u give me a ticket for not having a front plate since im might not get one for the tint?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #79
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
What's the best way to get out of a ticket. Or rather, what should someone getting pulled over do to maximize the chance of the cop letting you go with a warning or nothing at all?
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #80
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver
What's the best way to get out of a ticket. Or rather, what should someone getting pulled over do to maximize the chance of the cop letting you go with a warning or nothing at all?
Admit fault, no attitude, be respectful, be polite and slow movements. Let the cop know everything you're doing.

I read that somewhere.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa