E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #81
FIXEDupW203

My Ride: a bucket on wheels
-Thanks for answering all the questions

--Do cops get paid overtime or extra for showing up to court? Do they penalized if they don't?

--What day and what time would you say is the best time to fihgt a ticket? TIA
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #82
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
Thanks for making this thread very informative!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions

Again with front window tint...lets say I park my car on my driveway and you notice my tint could you sign me a ticket?

What if I'm driving the speed limit, my windows are down, I'm not putting anyone around me in a hazardous situation, and I get pulled over. The cop tells me to get out of my car so he can search it because of the fact that my car is modded. Is that enough reason to pull me over? Do I have the right to say no I dont want you to search my car?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #83
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Frobie,

Got another one; When the CHP receives a report/tip from this web-page
http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

How is it handled?

Does the CHP compile a database and it's just a matter of coming across a vehicle (w/out of state plates) and running a check? That webpage does ask for Date, time and location where the vehicle was seen!

I actually did report an ex GF after I caught her cheating. I thought it was fitting that I report her to a "cheaters" website She had been driving with Illinois plates for almost 2 years. About a month after I submitted that report, I saw her car with California plates Eight months later, she moved back to Illinois

Ahhh, revenge is sweet

Thanks again for an awesome thread.

Last edited by Speeder; 03-25-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #84
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2dopel
here's a question. what if i have a prescription from my optometrist saying i need tint? he just gave it to me for my stigmatism but i havent gotten anything yet because i dont know if i can do it or up to what percentage. and if u do pull me over for tint and i have no front plate, if u happen to see my prescription would u give me a ticket for not having a front plate since im might not get one for the tint?
The law does allow for tint if you have skin cancer, etc. However, that tint mst be able to be removed during hours of darkness. So, it has to be a static cling thing that you can take off at night. I personally wouldn't even bother with that. As far as if I'd write you or not, it would depend, but I'd probably write you for both.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #85
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver
What's the best way to get out of a ticket. Or rather, what should someone getting pulled over do to maximize the chance of the cop letting you go with a warning or nothing at all?

The best way to get out of a ticket is to not get pulled over!!!
Once you get pulled over, expect a ticket.

Now, with that in mind, be honest, respectful, and polite. Admit your guilt, if you're asked. Bottom line is if you get stopped, expect to get paper.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #86
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks
Admit fault, no attitude, be respectful, be polite and slow movements. Let the cop know everything you're doing.

I read that somewhere.
That does help. If you've got tint, roll down your windows. At night, roll 'em down and turn on your dome light. This will help, too; but nothing is a guarantee.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #87
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW203
--Do cops get paid overtime or extra for showing up to court? Do they penalized if they don't?
Yes, if it's my day off, or outside of my normal work shift, then I get paid overtime. On my day off, I get a minimum of four hours, even if it only takes me two hours to go to court, testify, and get home. We're required to go. There are some reasons why I wouldn't go to a traffic ticket, but they happen few and far between. I'd get in trouble if I didn't show up, so I just go

Quote:
--What day and what time would you say is the best time to fihgt a ticket? TIA
It doesn't matter. They're all the same, really. Most of the courts assign you the day, rather than the other way around.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #88
frobie15

[QUOTE=bluecougarAgain with front window tint...lets say I park my car on my driveway and you notice my tint could you sign me a ticket?[/QUOTE]
Nope. Vehicle Code infractions aren't applicable on private property.

Quote:
What if I'm driving the speed limit, my windows are down, I'm not putting anyone around me in a hazardous situation, and I get pulled over. The cop tells me to get out of my car so he can search it because of the fact that my car is modded. Is that enough reason to pull me over? Do I have the right to say no I dont want you to search my car?
There are new laws that people are trying to get passed into law allowing this. But, to my knowledge, your car being modded wouldn't allow them to search it. Even if it did, they could search under the hood, and that's about it. If I stopped you, I might pull you out of the car, but it could be for entirely different reasons Kidding, kidding. Your car could get impounded for being a "unsafe vehicle" just for the fact that your windshield is tinted, though. Just to give you a heads up.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #89
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
Got another one; When the CHP receives a report/tip from this web-page
http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi
I have no idea... I can do the same thing with a specific index card at work, but I don't do it often. And, I have no clue what happens to them after we turn them in. Our department is big on this, though, since we get our entire budget from registration fees/taxes.

And, I think it's really funny what you did to your ex!!!

Thank you Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #90
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Your car could get impounded for being a "unsafe vehicle" just for the fact that your windshield is tinted, though. Just to give you a heads up.

Not to worry, I'm going back to my visor tint look...windsheild tint + fog = thats all I have to say lol
Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #91
l2dopel

My Ride: 01' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
The law does allow for tint if you have skin cancer, etc. However, that tint mst be able to be removed during hours of darkness. So, it has to be a static cling thing that you can take off at night. I personally wouldn't even bother with that. As far as if I'd write you or not, it would depend, but I'd probably write you for both.
thanks! now i kno!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 AM   #92
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks
Actually most tint shops make you sign a waiver before putting tint on your car. Just so they're not liable.
You can not indemnify yourself from something that is illegal per se.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #93
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
I really like this thread.

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #94
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar

Not to worry, I'm going back to my visor tint look...windsheild tint + fog = thats all I have to say lol
tinted windshield? Thats just insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #95
jas0n

My Ride: 02 m3
My friend has like a very clear film or whatever. It's soo faint you won't notice until you roll down the front window and still then it's barely noticable. It's basically a glare reducer for him.
jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #96
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar

Hee hee, you're not kidding! I once drove my '54 an entire winter in Fresno without windshield wipers or a defroster Those were the good ol' days? Speaking of the visor look. Are you going to re-cover your sunvisors? I saw in one of your interior pics that you have the stock visors with the ugly arse airbag stickers on 'em. With all the alcantara and cf inside your car, I think you should redo your visors in one of the two. Just my $.02.......
Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #97
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
You can not indemnify yourself from something that is illegal per se.
Well, yes, and no. I dealership is required to sell a new vehicle that is ready to mount a front plate. But you can sign a waiver to get your car without the front plate bracket. So if you have good enough corporate lawyers, you can idemnify yourself.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #98
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0n
My friend has like a very clear film or whatever. It's soo faint you won't notice until you roll down the front window and still then it's barely noticable. It's basically a glare reducer for him.
I have two of those. Oh wait, those are the lenses on my sunglasses....... If it's barely tinted, then why tint it at all? Especially considering the fact that it's illegal.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #99
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2dopel
thanks! now i kno!
Let me add this. For me to write you the ticket, it would depend on how dark the tint is. 35% or lighter, and I probably wouldn't care. Anything darker than that, and if I've already stopped you, I might as well write the ticket....
Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #100
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
frobie15 do u believe there are bad cops out there? and how would u define a bad cop?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa