E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #1041
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendemon View Post
He marked the ticket as NOT correctable. Why wouldn't it be correctable? I bought a new light bulb and put on my front license plate. I was notified by mail of my ticket but it doesn't say much. i went onto the los angeles superior court website to see what those charges are but it doesn't tell me anything. The two vehicle section are 24600 (b) vc Tail light Infraction and 5200(a) no front plate Infraction. What does infraction mean anyways?

hrmm i'm looking on the ticket and there's no room for bail amount.

Thanks guys for all the help. [/color]

The bail amount should be in the letter that was sent to you not on the ticket.

I wonder why they are not correctable.

FROBIE: Are these two things I've been told true?

1) Law enforcement started writing tickets that are NON-CORRECTABLE for the front plates and require you to pay a fine instead of the $10 fix-it since it is so common for people to take off their front plates to avoid red light camera tickets.

2) If you are pulled over for illegal lights such as clear lights in the wrong places, wrong colored lights, etc., is it now standard procedure to require the offender to go in for a brake/lamp inspection?

I'm wondering if those two factors have something to do with GREENDEMON's ticket being non-correctable?

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #1042
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiilgsrlll View Post
The bail amount should be in the letter that was sent to you not on the ticket.

I wonder why they are not correctable.

1) Law enforcement started writing tickets that are NON-CORRECTABLE for the front plates and require you to pay a fine instead of the $10 fix-it since it is so common for people to take off their front plates to avoid red light camera tickets.

2) If you are pulled over for illegal lights such as clear lights in the wrong places, wrong colored lights, etc., is it now standard procedure to require the offender to go in for a brake/lamp inspection?

I'm wondering if those two factors have something to do with GREENDEMON's ticket being non-correctable?
Based on my experience as a cop (non-CHP)...

1. We started becoming more aggressive with front plates after the cameras were installed because most of the older cameras only take a front shot. Newer cameras now take front and rear, so its less of an issue. For me, I have always used it as good PC to stop a car, and a good easy cite to give someone when I don't want to hit them with everything and I want to give them a break. Non-correctable will force them to correct the violation and pay a fine, but you can always talk to the judge who has final say.
2. This is not my experience...I normal inspection at your local sheriff or CHP is all that is required from any cites I write...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:20 AM   #1043
USC E46

My Ride: 325ci sold.. 996 C2
Frobie, I appreciate the great resource you have created! I have a question regarding a carpool onramp violation I received. I was forced into the carpool lane and was flagged down by an officer entering the 110 freeway. The ticket is Vehicle code: 21655.5(b) I have heard many conflicting stories about whether this ticket is a point or not. The classification is accidental in HOV; please note the (.5) at the end. Thank you
USC E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #1044
iiilgsrlll

Thanks for the reply OHC.

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #1045
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC E46 View Post
Frobie, I appreciate the great resource you have created! I have a question regarding a carpool onramp violation I received. I was forced into the carpool lane and was flagged down by an officer entering the 110 freeway. The ticket is Vehicle code: 21655.5(b) I have heard many conflicting stories about whether this ticket is a point or not. The classification is accidental in HOV; please note the (.5) at the end. Thank you

This should be treated like every other HOV violation and not add a point to your driving record. There are some ways to get a point based citation while using the HOV lane which include speeding in the lane or entering the lane when there isn't a lane break (crossing the double parallel yellows and solid white).

Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #1046
USC E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
This should be treated like every other HOV violation and not add a point to your driving record. There are some ways to get a point based citation while using the HOV lane which include speeding in the lane or entering the lane when there isn't a lane break (crossing the double parallel yellows and solid white).
I have found dmv links showing that all other solo in hov are 1 point in California (for example: 21655) But I cant find my exact violation (.5b) listed.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:43 AM   #1047
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
i lost my curfew case
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #1048
OHCM3

Quote:
I have found dmv links showing that all other solo in hov are 1 point in California (for example: 21655) But I cant find my exact violation (.5b) listed.
21655 has to do with specialized lanes of travel for slow moving vehicles. 21655.5 is specifically for HOA. Below is from the vehicle code...

21655.5. (a) The Department of Transportation and local
authorities, with respect to highways under their respective
jurisdictions, may authorize or permit exclusive or preferential use
of highway lanes for high-occupancy vehicles. Prior to establishing
the lanes, competent engineering estimates shall be made of the
effect of the lanes on safety, congestion, and highway capacity.
(b) The Department of Transportation and local authorities, with
respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions, shall place
and maintain, or cause to be placed and maintained, signs and other
official traffic control devices to designate the exclusive or
preferential lanes, to advise motorists of the applicable vehicle
occupancy levels, and, except where ramp metering and bypass lanes
are regulated with the activation of traffic signals, to advise
motorists of the hours of high-occupancy vehicle usage. No person
shall drive a vehicle upon those lanes except in conformity with the
instructions imparted by the official traffic control devices. A
motorcycle, a mass transit vehicle, or a paratransit vehicle that is
clearly and identifiably marked on all sides of the vehicle with the
name of the paratransit provider may be operated upon those exclusive
or preferential use lanes unless specifically prohibited by a
traffic control device.
(c) When responding to an existing emergency or breakdown in which
a mass transit vehicle is blocking an exclusive or preferential use
lane, a clearly marked mass transit vehicle, mass transit supervisor'
s vehicle, or mass transit maintenance vehicle that is responding to
the emergency or breakdown may be operated in the segment of the
exclusive or preferential use lane being blocked by the mass transit
vehicle, regardless of the number of persons in the vehicle
responding to the emergency or breakdown, if both vehicles are owned
or operated by the same agency, and that agency provides public mass
transit services.
(d) For purposes of this section, a "paratransit vehicle" is
defined in Section 462.
(e) For purposes of this section, a "mass transit vehicle" means a
transit bus regularly used to transport paying passengers in mass
transit service.
(f) It is the intent of the Legislature, in amending this section,
to stimulate and encourage the development of ways and means of
relieving traffic congestion on California highways and, at the same
time, to encourage individual citizens to pool their vehicular
resources and thereby conserve fuel and lessen emission of air
pollutants.
(g) The provisions of this section regarding mass transit vehicles
and paratransit vehicles shall only apply if the Director of
Transportation determines that the application will not subject the
state to a reduction in the amount of federal aid for highways.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #1049
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
How's the new patrol route working out?
It's pretty good up here in no man's land. Just writing alot, and I mean ALOT of tickets. It's slow as far as other activity is concerned, so there's not much else to do other than writing cites.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #1050
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.diddy.yo View Post
Dear frobie15,

I guess this will be even more expensive for my insurance

I can swing the $1k, but it's gonna hurt. I'll report back after my court date.

Sincerely,

Terrified
Dear Terrified,

The other day in court, there were several 100+ (101-107) cases being heard. The fine was usually $800 give or take a little. Also, there was a 15 day suspension on every license. The suspension was a complete 15 day. No to and from work, no except in during the course of employment. No driving of any kind for 15 days. So, you should expect this at the least.

Joel
Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #1051
frobie15

Quote:

There are some officers who are alot more strict on plates and tinted windows than others. I personally couldn't care less about those, but there are officers who write them as non-correctable. The red light cameras used to be the reason, but, like OHCM3 said, newer cameras take a rear picture too.

Believe it or not, there are officers out there who have/will add-on a specific section to a tinted window ticket that will make it a point on your record. I don't know what section it is, but a friend of mine was cited for it.

Quote:
No, not standard practice. In fact, the court is the only one who can make a violator go specifically to an inspection facility. You can always go to an inspection facility to get fix-it ticket signed off.

Quote:
It could be a bunch of different things.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #1052
frobie15

Quote:
Nope, last I knew, HOV was only a fine. No point on your record. Maybe something changed in the last year that I didn't hear about, but I think I would've heard about it.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #1053
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
i lost my curfew case
Well.... I guess it wasn't a surprise, right?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #1054
iiilgsrlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
There are some officers who are alot more strict on plates and tinted windows than others. I personally couldn't care less about those, but there are officers who write them as non-correctable. The red light cameras used to be the reason, but, like OHCM3 said, newer cameras take a rear picture too.

Believe it or not, there are officers out there who have/will add-on a specific section to a tinted window ticket that will make it a point on your record. I don't know what section it is, but a friend of mine was cited for it.

No, not standard practice. In fact, the court is the only one who can make a violator go specifically to an inspection facility. You can always go to an inspection facility to get fix-it ticket signed off.

It could be a bunch of different things.

Thanks again.

That's a new one on the tinted windows = 1 point. Had never heard that before.

Regarding the license plates: I know people who intentionally leave their plates off and roll around with the dealer inserts as if it were a new car so rear or front camera's would be useless.

What have you done in the past in regards to intentional things like that? It's pretty obvious it is done intentionally once you see their registration and see that they've owned the car way past the temporary sticker period of 90 days.

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
Old 12-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #1055
USC E46

Quote:
Nope, last I knew, HOV was only a fine. No point on your record. Maybe something changed in the last year that I didn't hear about, but I think I would've heard about it.
Im probably mixing up something; you know better than I do. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #1056
Arnee

My Ride: 750i, C4S, ML430
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of LBPD. When I lived down there, I had a small run in with them when I was on my way to work. Long story short, the Officer never showed in court (I would've made him look really, really bad if he would've).

+1 My only ticket this year was a BS ticket from an LBPD person. I was traveling the 91W on the #3 lane behind another car. The LBPD car was exiting the freeway. Suddently I get lights behind me. He proceeded to tell me that I was "passing everyone else". He claims I was passing everyone else the whole time I was behind a slow car, cruising.

I didn't argue while he was writing me a speeding ticket (75+, VC22394(a)) but I'm sure my trial by written declaration ripped him a new one. My case was dismissed easily.
Arnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #1057
frobie15

Quote:
Thanks again. Regarding the license plates: I know people who intentionally leave their plates off and roll around with the dealer inserts as if it were a new car so rear or front camera's would be useless.

What have you done in the past in regards to intentional things like that? It's pretty obvious it is done intentionally once you see their registration and see that they've owned the car way past the temporary sticker period of 90 days.
That's the situation where I'll write someone for 5200(a)VC. If they're cruising around with the dealer plates after the state plates have been issued, then they get a ticket for it. When I run a registration check, I can see check the RCID (Registration Card Issue Date) which is the day that the plates and registration was sent out to the owner. It doesn't matter to me why they don't have the plates on, they're going to get a ticket.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 AM   #1058
DRK KNIGHT

My Ride: M6/M3/C4/CLK550
Send a message via AIM to DRK KNIGHT
So I'm only 18 and I got a reckless driving ticket, which is a misdemeanor. I can't afford a lawyer, any advice on what to do to get it down to an infraction.
DRK KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #1059
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BE View Post
So I'm only 18 and I got a reckless driving ticket, which is a misdemeanor. I can't afford a lawyer, any advice on what to do to get it down to an infraction.
How is your driving record otherwise? Without knowing the situation, its hard for me to say. Reckless is actually a pretty tough cite to prove as you have to articulate that you were a serious danger on the road that was effecting other drivers...

Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #1060
Arnee

My Ride: 750i, C4S, ML430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BE View Post

Mind if I ask what you did to get such a heavy citation?
Arnee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa