E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #1121
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassik40 View Post
Hey ohcm3, im curious as to the issues with tinted tail lights and front turn signals. The CHP book says tails must "not be to dim", but it seems kinda a matter of opinion rather than statment. Also, white front blinkers are legal in cali, but it states not the side marker lights. Is that something you guys would look for at all, or more of a overlook 'who cares" type of thing? thanks.
The side markers have to blink amber.

The tinted signals/tails are, in fact, more a matter of personal opinion. As long as they are still bright enough to be easily seen during sunlight I could care less.

My car has tinted signals/markers/tails

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #1122
ChevyGuy

My Ride: various Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
On the contrary, if they don't have the current registration sticker on, or if it's not displayed properly, then it's a violation of 5204(a)VC. I've written it more than once

I was told by a Sergeant once, "If it's worth the stop, it's worth the cite." We don't run the plate prior to making the stop most of the time, so as far as we can tell, the registration is expired. After making contact with the people, I'll run the plate. If it comes back that the registration is paid, but there isn't a sticker on, then I'll write the ticket. Weak sauce? Sure. But in reality it started out as a registration stop, which is a good one for us to write since our budget comes solely from vehicle registration.
I realize this post is six months old and forgive me if it has already been addressed, but this bugged me as I have had to deal with a citation for this before. Please read all the way down to 5204(c)VC, which states:

Quote:
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply when proper application for registration has been made pursuant to Section 4602 and the new indicia of current registration have not been received from the department.
If you paid on time and have not yet received your tags; you're legal. If you paid late or have the tags in the glove box; you're fair game for a ticket.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #1123
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
I realize this post is six months old and forgive me if it has already been addressed, but this bugged me as I have had to deal with a citation for this before. Please read all the way down to 5204(c)VC, which states:

If you paid on time and have not yet received your tags; you're legal. If you paid late or have the tags in the glove box; you're fair game for a ticket.
It is not the officer's responsibility to know if you've paid on time and often you will not know unless the DMV has updated their records and noted that the payment is "in process". If i run someone and the reg is current but their stickers are old, its rare I'll cite, but if I do, I'm not doing anything wrong. Like with most vehicle code issues as far as documentation, the burden is on the vehicle owner/driver to provide proper documentation upon request.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #1124
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post

When we run the registration we can find out the "RCID" or, Registration Card Issue Date. Which is the day that the DMV sends out the registration card and sticker to the owner. If it's anything over a week, then I will issue the cite most of the time. I understand that it is frustrating to get a ticket for something like this, but the bottom line is that it's a violation. It doesn't matter if you simply have not yet received the sticker, just not put it on, or if it was stolen after you put it on.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #1125
tdevil

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to tdevil
Hey frobie

What is the official rule for when/what time to turn on your headlights, i recall the drivers handbook saying after 6pm(or some set time) your headlights must be on? one of my friends actually got a ticket for not having their headlights on.

i like driving around sunset/sunrise time without my headlights on since i get to show off the angel eyes but i wouldnt go as far to endanger myself/others when it does get dark but sometimes it can be questionable as to whether or not you need to turn on your headlights or not.

i turn on when my headlights when it actually makes a noticable difference in illumination and i turn one click over(corner/side/rear turn signals turn on) when it begins to get dark but their is still plenty of light out.
tdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #1126
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
Hey frobie

What is the official rule for when/what time to turn on your headlights, i recall the drivers handbook saying after 6pm(or some set time) your headlights must be on? one of my friends actually got a ticket for not having their headlights on.

i like driving around sunset/sunrise time without my headlights on since i get to show off the angel eyes but i wouldnt go as far to endanger myself/others when it does get dark but sometimes it can be questionable as to whether or not you need to turn on your headlights or not.

i turn on when my headlights when it actually makes a noticable difference in illumination and i turn one click over(corner/side/rear turn signals turn on) when it begins to get dark but their is still plenty of light out.
Vehicle code states during hours of darkness and defines those as 1/2 hour before sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise (so if, for instance, sunset is at 6 and sunrise is at 6, need lights on from 5:30 to 5:30)

Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #1127
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Vehicle code states during hours of darkness and defines those as 1/2 hour before sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise (so if, for instance, sunset is at 6 and sunrise is at 6, need lights on from 5:30 to 5:30)
Is it a half hour before on both?? I thought it was a half hour before sunset and a half hour after sunrise. Gonna have to look it up now...

Thank you Sam
Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #1128
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Is it a half hour before on both?? I thought it was a half hour before sunset and a half hour after sunrise. Gonna have to look it up now...
You are right that there is one before and one after, but you had them reversed. I guess both of us should probably know this

Per CVC:
"Darkness" is any time from one-half hour after sunset to
one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is
not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on
the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #1129
tdevil

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to tdevil
by sunrise/sunset, that means whether or not the sun is on the horizon?

btw thanks for the clarification!
tdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #1130
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
by sunrise/sunset, that means whether or not the sun is on the horizon?

btw thanks for the clarification!
Means the official times given by the national weather service for that day...but also note that the definition of darkness allows for some interpretation beyond just the time element including visibility issues...

Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #1131
Makakio

My Ride: 03 325i sport
California plate designation?

Saw a 5-number CA plate today with an orange reg tag and to the left of the (normal sized) numbers was small vertical lettering reading something like "DSC" and on the right of the five numbers there was three vertical numbers.

Anyone seen a plate like this? I thought it might be diplomat plates or something, but it was a Mini. Curious, that's all...
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #1132
1.8t2003b5

My Ride: a vw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakio View Post

Saw a 5-number CA plate today with an orange reg tag and to the left of the (normal sized) numbers was small vertical lettering reading something like "DSC" and on the right of the five numbers there was three vertical numbers.

Anyone seen a plate like this? I thought it might be diplomat plates or something, but it was a Mini. Curious, that's all...

sounds like a dealer plate

This is a very intresting thread by the way frobie
1.8t2003b5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #1133
ironicdesigns
Account Under Review

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via ICQ to ironicdesigns Send a message via AIM to ironicdesigns Send a message via MSN to ironicdesigns Send a message via Yahoo to ironicdesigns
haha here's question frobie, if we got fix it tickeets would you sign off for a fellow fanatic?
ironicdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #1134
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakio View Post

You probably saw a DST (distributor) plate.

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #1135
jakewhrtn

My Ride: 2001 325i
This is quite the lengthy thread... sorry for adding on to it but I figured I'd pose this question because it almost involved me getting into a serious accident the other day:

On the way to school every morning, I have to drive down a two-lane "highway" (two-lanes in each direction that is) which is the only way to get to where I have to go. There is a small road that branches off of it (not an exit, there are none, just a turnoff) that leads to school. Naturally, in the morning many people have to get off there, so cars driving in the fast lane have to get over quickly into the right lane (where there already are a lot of cars) to make the turn. The other day I was driving at reasonable speed, not more than 5 mph over the limit (which is 40), and had to get into the right lane. I signaled for my lane change, sped up a bit to make it into the pack, and shifted lanes. Since there are a lot of cars all going to the same place, I couldn't see that there was a cop that had pulled someone over 100 feet in front of the turn off. The car that was speeding had pulled completely off the road, but the cop had parked smack in the middle of the right lane. Naturally there was a chain effect and everyone slammed on their breaks, rushed to get into the left lane because there was no way around him, and I almost rear-ended the car in front of me, and to avoid that, I shifted quickly into the left lane and almost got hit by speeding traffic.

Now for my question after that lengthy post (I apologize): It seemed to me that the cop pulling over the speeding car was in actuality, more unsafe than the car speeding itself. Do you ever take into account the circumstances of a situation before engaging a speeding car?

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for creating this thread, most of us I'm sure don't have the opportunity to consult an officer about questions we may have, and only learn when we actually get pulled over for something we are doing. Thanks a lot for your time!

Order custom leather, made-to-order shift/e-brake boots through my affliate with Redline Goods - PM me for discount
http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...=1&aid=155&p=7
jakewhrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #1136
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicdesigns View Post
haha here's question frobie, if we got fix it tickeets would you sign off for a fellow fanatic?

This used to not be an issue, and I'm not sure if its the same for Frobie with the CHP, but my agency now has a seperate sheet and some additional paperwork certifying that I saw the fixed item. I don't even sign my good friends off anymore unless they are willing to come to the station so I can complete the paperwork...

Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #1137
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewhrtn View Post

Now for my question after that lengthy post (I apologize): It seemed to me that the cop pulling over the speeding car was in actuality, more unsafe than the car speeding itself. Do you ever take into account the circumstances of a situation before engaging a speeding car?

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for creating this thread, most of us I'm sure don't have the opportunity to consult an officer about questions we may have, and only learn when we actually get pulled over for something we are doing. Thanks a lot for your time!
There are plenty of times that I don't attempt to catch up to a car, or to stop a car that I have caught up to if the situation is going to be dangerous for myself or others. If I have something more serious then just a minor moving violation, I may be a little more willing to stop a car even if the circumstances for the stop are less than ideal.

Bottom line is that if the officer did exactly what you say, it may have been a bit irresposible on his part. Also, however, keep in mind that people don't always pull over right when or where we tell them to, so maybe he was anticipating the car stopping somewhere else, or he got on his PA and told the person to move to a better location but they were nervous or couldn't hear him to they didn't move. Despite how hard you try to predict and control what a driver is going to do, sometimes it doesn't work on the traffic stop isn't positioned exactly where you would like...

Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #1138
D0n Raja

My Ride: 330ci 04
so i was using my ID at a club in SJ and the guy asked me if i was near sided or far sided...i jsut made one up (*cuz i have glasses in the ID). Is there any way to know if ur far sided or near sided on the ID? I had contacts when i was at the club.
D0n Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #1139
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0n Raja View Post
so i was using my ID at a club in SJ and the guy asked me if i was near sided or far sided...i jsut made one up (*cuz i have glasses in the ID). Is there any way to know if ur far sided or near sided on the ID? I had contacts when i was at the club.
"near-sighted" or "far-sighted".
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #1140
mpegripper

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to mpegripper
hey frobie,

i was told that the C.V.C. was changed to say that tint on front windows is now a moving violation, is this true?
mpegripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa