E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #101
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Well, yes, and no. I dealership is required to sell a new vehicle that is ready to mount a front plate. But you can sign a waiver to get your car without the front plate bracket. So if you have good enough corporate lawyers, you can idemnify yourself.
just because you have a piece of paper with a signature on it does not create indemnity from the state.
edit- that is why the tint shops will not give a reciept if they install an illegal tint; no proof, no problem.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery

Last edited by davidwarren; 03-26-2006 at 04:02 PM.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #102
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
Quote:
then why tint it at all?
I think car looks much better with tint.

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #103
Got323i

My Ride: 50cc rocket
Send a message via AIM to Got323i
I here ya up in MN tho :_( 6 tickets in 2 years 12 in 4 years I got pulled over 17 times before i got my first and most of them were in groups of cars and I was the lucky one
Old 03-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #104
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
Quote:
Hee hee, you're not kidding! I once drove my '54 an entire winter in Fresno without windshield wipers or a defroster Those were the good ol' days? Speaking of the visor look. Are you going to re-cover your sunvisors? I saw in one of your interior pics that you have the stock visors with the ugly arse airbag stickers on 'em. With all the alcantara and cf inside your car, I think you should redo your visors in one of the two. Just my $.02.......
Whoa talk about crazy thats crazy

Yeah I definitely need to get rid of those ugly airbag stickers but not sure if I want to cover them cause that would require $$$
Old 03-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #105
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
frobie15 do u believe there are bad cops out there? and how would u define a bad cop?
Sure there are bad cops out there. Anyone who followed the Rampart (LAPD) scandal would probably agree that those were "bad cops". I guess that the definition of a "bad cop" would depend on you. Do you think it's bad that I speed when I'm on and off duty? What about the fact that I'll run red lights in the patrol car at 3:00 in the morning? I think that to be a bad cop, you'd have to do something ALOT worse than yelling at someone. I guess a violation of ethics (false arrests, theft, drug use, etc.) is what would make you bad. A mistake of the mind is forgiveable, but a mistake of the heart is not.

You have to remember that just because a cop yells at you, or treats you bad doesn't make them a bad cop, or a bad person. I have days when I wake up in a crappy mood and don't want to hear lame excuses for why someone should get a warning for going 90mph in a 65mph zone. I try to treat everyone with respect, but there are times when I snap at people. It happens to everyone.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #106
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
just because you have a piece of paper with a signature on it does not create indemnity from the state.
edit- that is why the tint shops will not give a reciept if they install an illegal tint; no proof, no problem.
I've tinted front side windows before, and I got a reciept for it.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #107
Unveiled

Frob, bro..........I can't believe that I've been missing out on this thread. Great constructive thread idea!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #108
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubbheads
I think car looks much better with tint.
Don't take quotes out of context!!!! Do you work for the mainstream media???? I agree that a car looks better with tint (that's why every car that I've owned has been tinted). I was refering to a lightly tinted windshield. Why would you lightly tint it (which is illegal) as a glare reducer, when you can just wear sunglasses?? That's what I meant by the "then why tint it at all" statement.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #109
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar
Yeah I definitely need to get rid of those ugly airbag stickers but not sure if I want to cover them cause that would require $$$
Ahh yes, the same reason why my car still isn't dropped, SSKed, or BBKed. The wifey and I are buying a house... I guess it's a mod for my car to get a new 3 car garage for it, right?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #110
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiled
Frob, bro..........I can't believe that I've been missing out on this thread. Great constructive thread idea!
Thanks! It's been fun. A little busy at times, but I like trying to keep things fun between us and them!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #111
frobie15

Okay guys and gals. I've got a favor to ask of you. I don't know how many here drink (even a little bit) and hop in their car to drive home, but PLEASE quit with that non-sense! If you have friends who do it, call a cab for 'em. Here's why I ask this:

Last night, while at the scene of an accident where a car had gone over the side of the road and flipped into a creek (On Brea Blvd. north of Tonner Canyon Rd. in north Orange County for those that might know where that is). It happens about once a month or so in that spot. So the car over the side is nothing new. Here's the problem. There's about five or six feet from the side of the road to where the 45 degree dirt and rock embankment drops thirty feet or so to the creek. My patrol car was parked as far off the road as possible, with the lights on to the rear. I was standing in front of my car, with three other CHP Officers when I looked to my right (past my patrol car) and saw a pick-up truck coming towards us at a high rate of speed (I guessed about 70 in the 55 zone). I figured that the truck would slow down and move over to the left as it got closer. But, I kept watching just to make sure (a habit that I've gotten myself into). As the truck got to about 500 feet away, I saw that it wasn't slowing down, or moving over, just heading straight for my car (which was about 20 feet away from us). I told everyone to "look out" as I started to figure out how to get out of the way (nowhere to go). Luckily the numbnut driving swerved out of the way about 30 feet from the patrol car!! THIRTY FEET!!!! He never slowed down, either. Anyway, he rockets past us and spins out in the next curve. Two of the other Officer's get in their patrol car (which was across the road on a dirt shoulder), and take off after the truck. End up catching the guy, who is like a .20% (legal limit in California is .08%). That bastard took like six months off my life just because he wanted to go have some drinks... Lucky he didn't kill all four of us............

Please, don't do it yourself, and don't let your friends do it. We've had two Officer's killed i the last three months by getting hit by drunk drivers. Don't let someone you know be the person who kills another one!

Thank you Sam
Old 03-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #112
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Wow.. close one for you. lucky you caught that guy.
I care about my car too much to drink and drive, not to mention its the stupidest idea I can think of.

Frobie... Im thinking of more and more questions to ask you.
be prepared! lol
Old 03-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #113
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
Frobie... Im thinking of more and more questions to ask you. be prepared! lol
Bring it!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #114
UberBimmer
LETS GO RED SOX

My Ride: a beat up bimmer
I have a question.. My biggest gripe with police officers is this.. Speeding and running lights.. Now If you have your lights on and are doing 80mph in a 50 that is understandable because it leads one to believe your responding to a call. HOWEVER why is it permissable for a police officer who CLEARLY isnt responding to a call to weave in and out of traffic and drive at high rates of speed.... Just because you are a cop doesnt mean you cant cause an accident. dont you agree? Also It seems to happen alot in MD Cops will always put on their lights at a traffic jam or at a red light and immediatley turn them off once they have gone through the light or gotten out of the jam. Now if I am driving at a high rate of speed and I get pulled over I would get a ticket which I am fine with. I took the risk and I pay for it.. But shouldnt you lead by example or pratice what you preach? how do you feel about this

Ps I cant agree with you more about the Drinking and driving.. its not worth it I have lost friends its a dumb idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4izzle View Post
i like heavy women. what's your name girl?

Last edited by UberBimmer; 03-27-2006 at 02:20 PM.
UberBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #115
just_me
or is it just you?

My Ride: R32 Skyline
Wow, I seriously just read 99% of all these posts. My best bud is going to the CHP academy in June so I'm looking forward to all of his stories.

Thanks for the nice open forum

One question I have and never gotten an answer on is about in dash tv's/dvd's. What's the rate at which people would get pulled over for having these on and what's the fine for them?

Thanks...

Oh, and I agree with your order of pulling cars over for speed. I hate it when I see old school vans and trucks fly by me at high rates of speed, these people have no ideas about tire speed ratings and what their vehicle was designed for. That's why I liked the Montana 'safe and prudent' speed law. If it was safe for your car to go that speed, then so be it as long as the flipside was enforced too!

If you ever need to fly southwest and your ticket is over $350 email me BEFORE you buy your ticket.

Last edited by just_me; 03-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.
just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #116
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBimmer
HOWEVER why is it permissable for a police officer who CLEARLY isnt responding to a call to weave in and out of traffic and drive at high rates of speed....

Nothing is CLEAR to a motorist. You have no idea what is being reported via dispatch.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #117
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Nothing is CLEAR to a motorist. You have no idea what is being reported via dispatch.
true, but more times than not, it appears that they are simply driving as fast as they want to without their lights on. I have followed cops on the highway going about 80 in a 55, with traffic moving at about 60-65 for miles and miles. There is no reason for that. In an urban area, there would be cops that are much closer to any event than these guys, they are just speeding because they can. It is a clear abuse of power.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #118
UberBimmer
LETS GO RED SOX

My Ride: a beat up bimmer
Quote:

I do when I end up at the same place they are traveling too.. It has happened several times I would be following an officer speeding and He would turn off to get lunch or to get his car washed or to the target etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4izzle View Post
i like heavy women. what's your name girl?
UberBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #119
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBimmer
I have a question.. My biggest gripe with police officers is this.. Speeding and running lights.. Now If you have your lights on and are doing 80mph in a 50 that is understandable because it leads one to believe your responding to a call. HOWEVER why is it permissable for a police officer who CLEARLY isnt responding to a call to weave in and out of traffic and drive at high rates of speed.... Just because you are a cop doesnt mean you cant cause an accident. dont you agree? Also It seems to happen alot in MD Cops will always put on their lights at a traffic jam or at a red light and immediatley turn them off once they have gone through the light or gotten out of the jam. Now if I am driving at a high rate of speed and I get pulled over I would get a ticket which I am fine with. I took the risk and I pay for it..
I agree with you that sometimes we drive fast for no apparent reason. However, like Unveiled said, Most of the time we are enroute to something. Most people don't understand that Police work is just like work in any other corporation. It's all based on production. Are there quota's? No. But if I go out for 8 hours a day (It sucks nuts that I have to work five days a week) and do nothing, then what do I get paid for? Also, cops want to take bad people to jail. If by me driving everywhere at 90mph it gives me 15 more minutes in a day to look for someone who might be drunk, then so be it, that's what I'm going to do. Why do I not turn my lights on when I'm trying to get somewhere on the freeway? Because too many idiots out there will come to a complete stop in the fast lane rather than move over like they're supposed to. The answer to this is to just weave through traffic. Is it dangerous? Sure. Could it cause an accident? Yeah. But it will pretty much always be faster than rolling Code 3 (full lights/siren).

Quote:
But shouldnt you lead by example or pratice what you preach? how do you feel about this?
Maybe I should lead by example and practice what I preach. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world. I know that this is a bad excuse. Legally, we can't break the law unless we have a steady-lit red light to the front. But there are times when we have to break the law. Shouldn't you, as a concerned motorist, not speed? Isn't that unsafe and cause accidents? Why do you do it?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #120
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me
Wow, I seriously just read 99% of all these posts. My best bud is going to the CHP academy in June so I'm looking forward to all of his stories.
Good luck to him, it can be rough up there The stories won't take very long to start coming, either.

Quote:
One question I have and never gotten an answer on is about in dash tv's/dvd's. What's the rate at which people would get pulled over for having these on and what's the fine for them?
California law says that you can't have a television or computer screen (navigation and police vehicles exempt) forward of the driver's seat in a vehicle that is functioning while the vehicle is in motion. This includes flip-down, in-dash, and sun visors. It's an infraction (like speeding) that has a fine associated with it. I don't know off-hand how much the fine is. You could contact your local court to find out.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa