E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #1201
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Are you kidding me??? Not too many people on here know what I look like, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not a little robot toy that looks like a gremlin on crack!


Last edited by Speeder; 01-24-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #1202
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiilgsrlll View Post
FINALLY! Someone that finds Harleys MORE annoying than car exhausts.
My argument is, and always was, that if you drive a car around with open headers, you're gonna get bugged all the time. I think too many people think that all Harley's are straight piped from the factory. I dunno, I think they sound stupid, too But a Ducati.....
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #1203
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post

I'm just sayin'!!!!

I wanna see someone photoshop a CHP uniform onto that thing!!!
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #1204
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I'm just sayin'!!!!

I wanna see someone photoshop a CHP uniform onto that thing!!!
That was the closest I could find as far as color.

That thing has no arms though, so the dilema is where to place the badges.

and how is it gonna write any tickets
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #1205
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
That was the closest I could find as far as color.

That thing has no arms though, so the dilema is where to place the badges.

and how is it gonna write any tickets
It can write tickets telepathically (if that's how you spell that)

I guess you could put the shoulder patches on what would be the closest thing it has to shoulders? They sell "Chipper" dolls at the academy. It's a stuffed chipmunk with a uniform and a Smokey Bear hat.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #1206
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
It can write tickets telepathically (if that's how you spell that)
I bet it can... then I get a ticket in the mail...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I guess you could put the shoulder patches on what would be the closest thing it has to shoulders? They sell "Chipper" dolls at the academy. It's a stuffed chipmunk with a uniform and a Smokey Bear hat.
They should sell those at CHP offices too... I'd buy a few and secure them gently up on my dashboard. (Assuming it does not obstruct my view of the road or jeopardize CHiPpers safety in any way, of course)
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #1207
Clean_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,414
My Ride: E46
I've got some Q's.....

I received a ticket in Nov for speeding( 20 over the limit), no plates( i had europlates with the same exact plate numbers as my originals) and tint( the cop made me roll my windows up) - court date pushed to march
two weeks ago the same cop pulls me over and is gonna give me a ticket for speeding but he says he's gonna let me off, so instead he asks me to roll my windows up (again) and cites me for tinted windows.
the cop was a CHP and on all the citations it's marked No for correctable.
(sorry if u answered this already but this thread is so damn long I really didnt want to spend Hrs. reading)


Q.1
can a cop ask you to roll your front windows up if you have them both down?
Q.2
Can i correct the plates and tint even though it's marked non correctable?
Q.3
if so after having corrected these things do i just take my car and tickets to any officer (police,sherrif,chp)to write it off?
Q.4
I've heard you can only go to traffic school if ur 15 over the speed limit or less, considering i was going 20 over can i go to traffic school for speeding?
Q.5
If he didnt get me for speeding the second time why did he even bother with giving me a ticket for tint again?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
You don't know how to spend a half day without your wife?

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...

Last edited by Clean_3; 01-26-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #1208
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean325i View Post
two weeks ago the same cop pulls me over and is gonna give me a ticket for speeding but he says he's gonna let me off, so instead he asks me to roll my windows up (again) and cites me for tinted windows.
It's been long enough for you to have fixed the mechanical violations, therefore you CAN be cited for them again. The basic rule of thumb is that you are supposed to only drive the car long enough to get it fixed. I.E. straight home, and then to a tint shop to get the tint removed.


Quote:
Q.1 can a cop ask you to roll your front windows up if you have them both down?
Unfortunately, yes. I generally don't, but if I can't hear the driver talking, I'll ask them to roll theirs up.

Quote:
Q.2 Can i correct the plates and tint even though it's marked non correctable?
You might have to correct them and pay the higher fine. Call the court to make sure.

Quote:
Q.3 if so after having corrected these things do i just take my car and tickets to any officer (police,sherrif,chp)to write it off?
Depending on what the court says, you can take it anywhere to have it signed off. CHP is the only ones in the LA area that I know off who don't charge to sign off a ticket.

Quote:
Q.4 I've heard you can only go to traffic school if ur 15 over the speed limit or less, considering i was going 20 over can i go to traffic school for speeding?
It depends on the court/judge but as far as I know it's in the range of 15-20 over.

Quote:
Q.5 If he didnt get me for speeding the second time why did he even bother with giving me a ticket for tint again?
Because officers can be lazy sacks o' crap sometimes. Chances of you taking him to court for tint -- slim to none. Chances of you taking him to court for speeding (especially if you can't go to traffic school) -- pretty good. If you take him to court, and it's on his day off, then he just lost that day off. Sure he got overtime, but who cares.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #1209
bimmerboi43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: nor cal
Posts: 225
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey frobie, i respect cops and cant stand teens that drive wrecklessly. I was wondering how lucky i was about a year ago when i was pulled over with no adult and only had a permit. His reason was because i looked suspicious because i was young and in a bmw? what usually happens in this scenario or what could of happened? he just let me off with a warning. thanks
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #1210
bigali88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So cal
Posts: 246
My Ride: peforMance car
Hey guys I have a question. Can a cop impound or tow your car if you have a loud exhaust, no front plate, and tint. I have heard stories of people getting there cars towed because the exhaust was too loud or limo tint. Is it possible/ legal for the police to do this. Like if the cop is having a bad day or doesn't like you etc.. Thanks a lot you guys are very helpful.

__________________

Im the king Biatchess!!!
bigali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #1211
BearMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 2,184
My Ride: makes my ears bleed
Hey Frobie,

My friend recently got a speeding ticket for going 17mph over the speed limit. He was caught going 82mph on a 65mph zone on the 10 freeway. How much would it cost him with the court fee of with or without traffic school?

Thanks in advance
__________________
-Kevin-

-Thanks SL Blak Soldier for the sig.
BearMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #1212
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
I bet it can... then I get a ticket in the mail...
HAHAHA You ARE the redlight camera man!!
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #1213
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
My friend recently got a speeding ticket for going 17mph over the speed limit. He was caught going 82mph on a 65mph zone on the 10 freeway. How much would it cost him with the court fee of with or without traffic school?
I don't know the exact ammount. I believe he could go to the website for LA County courts (if that's where the ticket happened). The link has been posted in here before.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #1214
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
hey frobie, i respect cops and cant stand teens that drive wrecklessly. I was wondering how lucky i was about a year ago when i was pulled over with no adult and only had a permit. His reason was because i looked suspicious because i was young and in a bmw? what usually happens in this scenario or what could of happened? he just let me off with a warning. thanks
He couldn't have used your appearance as the only reason for stopping you. That's just plain illegal. Just note that I prefer people who drive wreckless. It's people that drive reckless who drive me crazy.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #1215
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigali88 View Post
Hey guys I have a question. Can a cop impound or tow your car if you have a loud exhaust, no front plate, and tint. I have heard stories of people getting there cars towed because the exhaust was too loud or limo tint. Is it possible/ legal for the police to do this. Like if the cop is having a bad day or doesn't like you etc.. Thanks a lot you guys are very helpful.
I suppose it could be impounded as an "unsafe" vehicle. I'm not sure how you could articulate that it's unsafe, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #1216
bigali88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So cal
Posts: 246
My Ride: peforMance car
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I suppose it could be impounded as an "unsafe" vehicle. I'm not sure how you could articulate that it's unsafe, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
have you ever heard of this happening, what would you consider an unsafe vehicle?
__________________

Im the king Biatchess!!!
bigali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #1217
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigali88 View Post
have you ever heard of this happening, what would you consider an unsafe vehicle?
I have heard of it happening, but I don't know how true it is.

The only thing that I'd consider unsafe would be modifications/lack of maintainence to suspension/brakes/steering that make it dangerous. Say, I dunno, airbags on a sport truck with no bump stops to keep it off the ground, or brakes that just flat out don't work. Stuff like that.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #1218
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I have heard of it happening, but I don't know how true it is.

The only thing that I'd consider unsafe would be modifications/lack of maintainence to suspension/brakes/steering that make it dangerous. Say, I dunno, airbags on a sport truck with no bump stops to keep it off the ground, or brakes that just flat out don't work. Stuff like that.

For me, an unsafe vehicle is any in which the driver is a total pain in the a** and is just asking for me to do everything within my power to make his day miserable.

As long as the person is decent to me (I can take a little abuse, its part of the job), they can keep their car unless its something really bad like Frobie mentioned.

Can you guys tell I'm a little bitter...everyone I contacted during a shift last week verbally abused me like crazy...gotta love it!
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #1219
bimmerboi43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: nor cal
Posts: 225
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
frobie or ohcm3? have you ever caught someone driving with a permit and no adult but the car was a well kept nice car with full insurance n registration? What do you guys or most police do in this scenario? What usually happens or worst case ? Another random question.. not car related.. what happens to people caught with fake ID's 18 over not 21 so not used for alcohol or anything?
Thanks.

Last edited by bimmerboi43; 01-30-2007 at 01:28 AM.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #1220
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
frobie or ohcm3? have you ever caught someone driving with a permit and no adult but the car was a well kept nice car with full insurance n registration? What do you guys or most police do in this scenario? What usually happens or worst case ? Another random question.. not car related.. what happens to people caught with fake ID's 18 over not 21 so not used for alcohol or anything?
Thanks.
I've never caught anyone with a permit. Unfortunately, they are essentially an unlicensed driver, so I would probably cite and field release them for that (I could also take the car). Worst case is a misdemeanor arrest for 12500VC and the car goes by-by.

People caught with fake ID's, assuming they are not using them, can face a host of charges. Could range from unlawful use of an I.D., personation (yes, its actually called personation, and its taking the identity of another real person with the intention of doing a criminal act that they would be held responsible for), possession or manufacturer of fradulant government documents, etc. It really depends on what I think the intended use is.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use