E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #1221
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Can you guys tell I'm a little bitter...everyone I contacted during a shift last week verbally abused me like crazy...gotta love it!
Yeah, it's good times. For some reason, it seems as though it's people from LA/OC or the bay area more than anywhere else. I don't know if they just think they're better or what.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #1222
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
frobie or ohcm3? have you ever caught someone driving with a permit and no adult but the car was a well kept nice car with full insurance n registration? What do you guys or most police do in this scenario? What usually happens or worst case ?
Usually is the car will get towed and they will get a ride home to Mom and Dad. Worst case is that they go to jail for the misdemeanor (like OHC said). Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how much insurance is on the car, if you don't have a license, it doesn't cover you.

Quote:
Another random question.. not car related.. what happens to people caught with fake ID's 18 over not 21 so not used for alcohol or anything?
Thanks.
Most of the time that I run into this is for them to get into a bar/club. I usually just confiscate it. But you could run into a BUNCH of other issues if you give it to me as your actual ID instead of me finding it in your wallet after you've already been arrested for DUI (which used to happen a bit in OC).

Thank you Sam
Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #1223
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
thanks for the info guys. that was just back then...
but is it ok now that i have a license but the car is
insured under my parents name?
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #1224
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
thanks for the info guys. that was just back then...
but is it ok now that i have a license but the car is
insured under my parents name?
As far as getting a ticket is concerned, you won't have a problem. But, you might not be insured if you crash the car. Double check with the insurance company to make sure.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #1225
PlatinumEdition

My Ride: BMW 525i
quick question here frobie, I just got pulled over today for doing 50 in a 35 while going to school, this is the first ticket I have ever gotten for something like this, the question is what will happen as I am 16 years old and went 15 mph over the speed limit?? traffic school?? fines??

PlatinumEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:00 AM   #1226
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
quick question here frobie, I just got pulled over today for doing 50 in a 35 while going to school, this is the first ticket I have ever gotten for something like this, the question is what will happen as I am 16 years old and went 15 mph over the speed limit?? traffic school?? fines??
Should just be a fine and then traffic school. You shouldn't worry about suspensions on your license or anything.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #1227
sc_325i

My Ride: .
i got my ticket for unsafe speeding back in Nov 06
but the thing is i moved out my parents house and changed the address, but for some reasons, the court's letters (2 already) were sent to my old address instead.
i've been waiting for the letters so that i can bring to court but hopeless.
just found out today it sat at home the whole time.
question is, is it too late to pay for the find and traffic school? (i understand fine now up to $500 + traffic school)
or my license will be suspended and pay for the 1k fine ?
sc_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #1228
PlatinumEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Should just be a fine and then traffic school. You shouldn't worry about suspensions on your license or anything.
how much would the fine be, i know i wasnt speeding that bad.....

Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #1229
frobie15

Quote:
how much would the fine be, i know i wasnt speeding that bad.....
As far as I know the fine for 15 over should be somewhere in the area of $140.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #1230
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_325i View Post
i got my ticket for unsafe speeding back in Nov 06
but the thing is i moved out my parents house and changed the address, but for some reasons, the court's letters (2 already) were sent to my old address instead.
i've been waiting for the letters so that i can bring to court but hopeless.
just found out today it sat at home the whole time.
question is, is it too late to pay for the find and traffic school? (i understand fine now up to $500 + traffic school)
or my license will be suspended and pay for the 1k fine ?
I would go to court. Make an appearance before the judge and be ready to pay the full ticket ammount that day. Admit guilt and ask that the extra fine and failure to appear be dropped. Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of the court/judge on this one.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #1231
sc_325i

My Ride: .
i guess there're no other choices
ill go this monday and we will see
thank you
sc_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #1232
PlatinumEdition

Quote:
As far as I know the fine for 15 over should be somewhere in the area of $140.
theres no way of getting out of the fine?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #1233
frobie15

Quote:
theres no way of getting out of the fine?
The only way of getting out of the fine is if you get the ticket dismissed. Which would take you winning in court, or having the officer not show up.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #1234
PlatinumEdition

Quote:
The only way of getting out of the fine is if you get the ticket dismissed. Which would take you winning in court, or having the officer not show up.
do i do that on the same day of the court date or before time??

Old 02-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #1235
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_325i View Post
i guess there're no other choices
ill go this monday and we will see
thank you
My guess is that your ticket was sent to collection. If this is in L A County, then go to court, check with the clerk... they'll probably refer you to the collection agency -GPC Services (or similar that is usually a couple of windows away from the clerk's window). Whatever you do, DO NOT pay the fine to the Collection Agency... Instead, ask for a court appearance.

If that is the case, you won't see the judge that same day. Instead, they'll schedule an appearance for you that is typically a month or two away.

That'll give you some time to save for the fine amount. The amount owed should be the original fine amount on the citation PLUS a $250 Civil Assessment for violating CVC section 40508(a) (Failure To Appear); a misdemeanor. Which I think should be changed to "Failure To Pay"... They could care less if you "Appear"; in fact they would prefer that you not "Appear", just as long as you "Pay".
Quote:
CVC Section: 40508(a) A person willfully violating his or her written promise to appear or a lawfully granted continuance of his or her promise to appear in court or before a person authorized to receive a deposit of bail is guilty of a misdemeanor regardless of the disposition of the charge upon which he or she was originally arrested.
Also, in as much as I'd hate to disagree with Frobie , once the court adds the 40508(a) violation, a subsequent appearance in court (regardless of who the judge is or how he/she's feeling that day) will not grant you any reduction in the full amount due.
Quote:
CVC Section 40509(c)-(2) states: Once a court has established the amount of a fine and any assessments, and notified the department (meaning the DMV), the court shall not further enhance or modify that amount.
(unless you could prove that "Shall not" means "shouldn't but could").

Despite the fact that the notice may mention an arrest warrant and/or a suspension, I wouldn't worry about either... not with just one FTA .

Last edited by Speeder; 02-03-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #1236
Speeder

Quote:
do i do that on the same day of the court date or before time??
You have to appear on or before the date on the citation (unless you request and are granted an extension). When you appear in court, you can:

A. Plead "guilty" or "no contest" and pay the fine... and request Traffic School (if you're eligible) OR

B. You can request a court trial and come back when the judge tells you.

Alternatively, if it's been over 20 days since the citation was issued, you can go online www.lasuperiorcourt.org and pay the fine, request traffic school, request Trial by Declaration, or schedule a Trial date.

Quote:
...this is the first ticket I have ever gotten for something like this... I am 16 years old...
Pardon my ignorance... but you're only 16. How many tickets should you have by now?

Last edited by Speeder; 02-03-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #1237
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
I have a Q, I know im in florida, but ill go ahead and ask anyway. What if a cop writes me a ticket, and gets all the info on my ticket wrong except my name and type of car. he got the color, type, date, time, address, and reason for ticket wrong. Can I take this to court and get it dismissed?

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #1238
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
I have a Q, I know im in florida, but ill go ahead and ask anyway. What if a cop writes me a ticket, and gets all the info on my ticket wrong except my name and type of car. he got the color, type, date, time, address, and reason for ticket wrong. Can I take this to court and get it dismissed?
The reason for the ticket is obviously an issue if he got it wrong (like if he wrote you up for speeding when in fact you made an illegal u-turn). All the others are trivial although they would suggest that he was careless in writing the ticket and therefore may suggest that he could be wrong about the whole thing.

Also keep in mind that if he wrote down the wrong address then chances are you might not receive the courtesy reminder from the court. Stay on top of it and don't forget.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #1239
PlatinumEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
You have to appear on or before the date on the citation (unless you request and are granted an extension). When you appear in court, you can:

A. Plead "guilty" or "no contest" and pay the fine... and request Traffic School (if you're eligible) OR

Alternatively, if it's been over 20 days since the citation was issued, you can go online www.lasuperiorcourt.org and pay the fine, request traffic school, request Trial by Declaration, or schedule a Trial date.

Pardon my ignorance... but you're only 16. How many tickets should you have by now?
i meant this is my first ticket i have gotten..

Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #1240
PlatinumEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post

if i got on the scheduled date on the ticket and the judge calls me, i tell him i want to contest this? can i contest it on that day and if the cop doesnt appear i wont have to pay the fine?

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa