E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #1241
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
i meant this is my first ticket i have gotten..
And I meant how many tickets does the average 16 year old have?

And for your benefit, I certainly also hope that ^^ is not part of your reasoning to fight this ticket!

Don't let me rile you up... Fact is, as I sit here today, I am much worst than you are when it comes to speeding violations (and hence the screen name). But I can also tell you that I am much older than you are and my "habitual offender" (as the DMV calls me) status was aquired at a much later stage in life than in my teens. In fact, I didn't get my first speeding ticket (my first ticket ever) until age 29.

With that being said, let me also add that if I were a judge, and had a 16 year old walk into my court room waving a 15mph mile over the limit ticket asking me for a trial date because he wants to fight it (even though it's within your rights), would -at minimum- pi'ss me off... And trust me, that courtroom is a lonely place when the judge is pi'ssed off at you. But that's my opinion. You should decide your own battles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
if i got on the scheduled date on the ticket and the judge calls me, i tell him i want to contest this? can i contest it on that day and if the cop doesnt appear i wont have to pay the fine?
If you show up in court on the date stated on your citation, that would be considered your arraignment date (where you can only enter a plea). The officer need not be there on that date. If you schedule it for trial then he'll receive a subpoena to appear. If you want you can go to the court's website before your appear date and request to schedule a trial date, but you would have to post bail before you can schedule for trial.

My apologies to Frobie (and OHCM)... I hope I didn't step on any toes
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #1242
PlatinumEdition
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Burbank
Posts: 205
My Ride: BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
And I meant how many tickets does the average 16 year old have?

And for your benefit, I certainly also hope that ^^ is not part of your reasoning to fight this ticket!

Don't let me rile you up... Fact is, as I sit here today, I am much worst than you are when it comes to speeding violations (and hence the screen name). But I can also tell you that I am much older than you are and my "habitual offender" (as the DMV calls me) status was aquired at a much later stage in life than in my teens. In fact, I didn't get my first speeding ticket (my first ticket ever) until age 29.

With that being said, let me also add that if I were a judge, and had a 16 year old walk into my court room waving a 15mph mile over the limit ticket asking me for a trial date because he wants to fight it (even though it's within your rights), would -at minimum- pi'ss me off... And trust me, that courtroom is a lonely place when the judge is pi'ssed off at you. But that's my opinion. You should decide your own battles.


If you show up in court on the date stated on your citation, that would be considered your arraignment date (where you can only enter a plea). The officer need not be there on that date. If you schedule it for trial then he'll receive a subpoena to appear. If you want you can go to the court's website before your appear date and request to schedule a trial date, but you would have to post bail before you can schedule for trial.

My apologies to Frobie (and OHCM)... I hope I didn't step on any toes
the only reason I wanna contest it cuz to me its seems like its a bs ticket to write up, if i went way over the limit than i understand but just for 15? comeon now
__________________
/// Armenian Pride

PlatinumEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #1243
ThatOneGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,085
My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
I have an OT coptalk queston. How many exotics have you stopped and of those, what percent have you given a warning? Additionally, how many of those guys were jerks vs. cool?
__________________
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #1244
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I have an OT coptalk queston. How many exotics have you stopped and of those, what percent have you given a warning? Additionally, how many of those guys were jerks vs. cool?
I work in an area with a lot of nice cars, so it happens all the time. Pulled over a 455 Ferarri on Saturday and just cited him for expired registration. He said he had 25 other cars and couldn't keep track of them...sounds tough, eh?
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #1245
ThatOneGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,085
My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I work in an area with a lot of nice cars, so it happens all the time. Pulled over a 455 Ferrari on Saturday and just cited him for expired registration. He said he had 25 other cars and couldn't keep track of them...sounds tough, eh?
Thanks. Sounds like the kind of problems I'd like to have.
__________________
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #1246
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
the only reason I wanna contest it cuz to me its seems like its a bs ticket to write up, if i went way over the limit than i understand but just for 15? comeon now
Now you can get riled up...

Let me ask you this... What did your Mommy and Daddy say when you told them you were driving 50 in 35 and "actually got pulled over and written up for it"?

I think you need to re-evaluate your logic here. Because you are not making any sense. If you don't think that 15 mph over in a 35mph limit is a legit ticket, then my guess is you won't be driving for long.

So how fast do you drive on the freeway? Let's assume that you're on the 15 Fwy and in a 70mph zone (just to make the calculation easy); your logic would suggest that you would drive about 30 mph over the limit (meaning 100mph) and if you got pulled over & cited, you would walk into court and contest it suggesting it's "rediculous"?????

You know what? Do me a huge favor. Contest your ticket based on that post you made and come back and let me know how it went.

For you, my hope is that he will , but my guess is that the cop wouldn't show up.

BTW, that is definately a fitting name for you; you are Unique!!!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #1247
PlatinumEdition
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Burbank
Posts: 205
My Ride: BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Now you can get riled up...

Let me ask you this... What did your Mommy and Daddy say when you told them you were driving 50 in 35 and "actually got pulled over and written up for it"?

I think you need to re-evaluate your logic here. Because you are not making any sense. If you don't think that 15 mph over in a 35mph limit is a legit ticket, then my guess is you won't be driving for long.

So how fast do you drive on the freeway? Let's assume that you're on the 15 Fwy and in a 70mph zone (just to make the calculation easy); your logic would suggest that you would drive about 30 mph over the limit (meaning 100mph) and if you got pulled over & cited, you would walk into court and contest it suggesting it's "rediculous"?????

You know what? Do me a huge favor. Contest your ticket based on that post you made and come back and let me know how it went.

For you, my hope is that he will , but my guess is that the cop wouldn't show up.

BTW, that is definately a fitting name for you; you are Unique!!!
going fast is a diff story 100mph is diff than 50mph, thats why i think its bs, cuz i wasnt speeding heavily, it got me thinking that he could have let me go, but he just wanted to write up some bs, if i were going faster than that i understand thats my fault, but for 50mph?? bs ticket
__________________
/// Armenian Pride

PlatinumEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #1248
Speeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 849
My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
going fast is a diff story 100mph is diff than 50mph, thats why i think its bs, cuz i wasnt speeding heavily, it got me thinking that he could have let me go, but he just wanted to write up some bs, if i were going faster than that i understand thats my fault, but for 50mph?? bs ticket
Like I said, fight the ticket using that argument and come back and tell us what happened.







If you can, that is ...
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #1249
thesethoughtsru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,688
My Ride: is a fake CSL
Send a message via AIM to thesethoughtsru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
going fast is a diff story 100mph is diff than 50mph, thats why i think its bs, cuz i wasnt speeding heavily, it got me thinking that he could have let me go, but he just wanted to write up some bs, if i were going faster than that i understand thats my fault, but for 50mph?? bs ticket
if you are going 36 in a 35 you can be written a "legit" ticket IMO, the speed limit is 35, if you go ANYTHING over its a legit ticket, you are breaking the law, 15 over IS A LOT IMO, its not normal to go 15 mph over the limit, 50 in a 35?? 35 mph is like residential areas thats not safe to be going 50.
__________________

Silver Grey on Recaros ///M3 - VCSL, CF Grills, SS Race, KW V2, Alcantara Int, Illum Door Sills
thesethoughtsru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #1250
ModVirgin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cameron Park, CA
Posts: 32
My Ride: 02 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru View Post
if you are going 36 in a 35 you can be written a "legit" ticket IMO, the speed limit is 35, if you go ANYTHING over its a legit ticket, you are breaking the law, 15 over IS A LOT IMO, its not normal to go 15 mph over the limit, 50 in a 35?? 35 mph is like residential areas thats not safe to be going 50.
Basic Speed Law
__________________
ModVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #1251
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru View Post
so if I would have quickly copied my insurance info onto a napkin and put a current date its more valid than my legit insurance card with an expired date of a couple months?
Um...I wouldn't accept it, but Frobie said he would...I need the valid legit card or a copy to be satisfied...Per Frobie, technically a napkin would work, but not for me.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #1252
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
do i do that on the same day of the court date or before time??
The date at the bottom of the ticket is just the day that you have to talk to the court before. That is not the day that you would see a judge on. You call the court before the date at the bottom to set up your court appearance date.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #1253
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Also, in as much as I'd hate to disagree with Frobie , once the court adds the 40508(a) violation, a subsequent appearance in court (regardless of who the judge is or how he/she's feeling that day) will not grant you any reduction in the full amount due.
(unless you could prove that "Shall not" means "shouldn't but could").
You can disagree with me, it's your right -- but it doesn't make you right!!

Except in this case, where you are right, at least as far as I can tell....

Quote:
Despite the fact that the notice may mention an arrest warrant and/or a suspension, I wouldn't worry about either... not with just one FTA .
Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about it too much. You don't want to start a trend, though. The problem with the FTA is that you're license will get suspended, which means that your car could get towed.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #1254
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Pardon my ignorance... but you're only 16. How many tickets should you have by now?
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #1255
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
I have a Q, I know im in florida, but ill go ahead and ask anyway. What if a cop writes me a ticket, and gets all the info on my ticket wrong except my name and type of car. he got the color, type, date, time, address, and reason for ticket wrong. Can I take this to court and get it dismissed?
Yup, like what Speeder already said, most of that stuff is trivial. Unless he put the location of violation as the wrong spot for, say, a stop sign violation. And, the location where he put the violation at there is no stop sign, you're probably not going to get out of the ticket based on something like this.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #1256
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
if i got on the scheduled date on the ticket and the judge calls me, i tell him i want to contest this? can i contest it on that day and if the cop doesnt appear i wont have to pay the fine?
Not gonna work like that. The court will set up a date for trial so that they have enough time to subpoena the officer.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #1257
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru View Post
From what I understand what is the point then of having an expiration on the insurance card if you can just have any paper as stated in teh quote above? Was he right to cite me since technically I am still insured right now just had an old card with me?
Well, the reason why he wrote you for the expired insurance was to cut you a break. That way you don't get an annoying ticket for exhaust, but he still has some activity.

Quote:
Its not a big deal obviously just gotta get it signed off but I am just wondering for future reference! Thanks! He also put under the violation "WARNED FOR EXHAUST" does that have any significance or why would he write that? Thanks!
It's just his probable cause for the stop. Obviously, he didn't stop you for expired insurance, he just put that down so that the court knows why you were stopped in the first place.

Quote:
BTW he said he felt his car RUMBLE when I drove by because my exhaust was so loud
Okay, I'm a fan of loud cars, but I doubt that one of these BMW's could get that loud without being straight piped...

Now, my '54.... That's a different story
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #1258
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
My apologies to Frobie (and OHCM)... I hope I didn't step on any toes
No worries, man. I've been MIA a little lately. Five days since I was last on here...
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #1259
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique1 View Post
the only reason I wanna contest it cuz to me its seems like its a bs ticket to write up, if i went way over the limit than i understand but just for 15? comeon now
15 over is well worth the stop. That's my limit as to what I allow. When I started driving back in '95 the general rule of thumb was that cops would give you a 5 mph cushion. Now people take 10. Whatever. Bottom line is that 15 over is too fast. You're a new driver, don't start down the path to Speeder-ville
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #1260
kobezklutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lomita/torrance, CA
Posts: 697
My Ride: '00 jet black 323i
Send a message via AIM to kobezklutch
hey frobie what do u think about the fanatic with the heyofficer tinted lic. plate lol
kobezklutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use