E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #1301
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
Hey Frobie or OHCM3,

My cousin is going to turn 16 and she is about to get her driver's license. She also has a younger brother, age 14, that will be attending the same high school as her. My question is, since she is not allowed to transport any minors under the age of 18 without an adult being 21 or 25+ years of age, could she transport her younger brother from and to school everyday?

-Thanks
its not illegal if you don't get caught
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #1302
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
My cousin is going to turn 16 and she is about to get her driver's license. She also has a younger brother, age 14, that will be attending the same high school as her. My question is, since she is not allowed to transport any minors under the age of 18 without an adult being 21 or 25+ years of age, could she transport her younger brother from and to school everyday?
I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I believe there's an exemption for driving relatives...

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1303
jzar

My Ride: 911, 325xi , SC300
Send a message via AIM to jzar
if im wrong, i would like to apologize but i believe that at least in maryland you ARE allowed to drive immediate family any time.
jzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1304
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwns View Post
its not illegal if you don't get caught
This is true. You can't be pulled over for being young-looking. There has to be an other reason for the stop. THEN you get to hammer people for all the other stuff.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #1305
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey.. question about provisional license.. whats the worse that could
happen if im driving at 3am and get stopped for a minor issue and have passengers in the car... whats the worse that could happen and what usually happens.. what would you do if the kid was pretty proper.. insured.. well kept nice car.. polite.. thanks.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #1306
PaleRider

My Ride: 2006 330ci
The citation would be for violation of the provisional license. Attitude plays a big role in my book for scratching a ticket or giving someone a warning. It never hurts to be a little humble when stopped by an officer.
PaleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #1307
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
can they suspend my license? or do i just get a ticket or have to go to court?

Last edited by bimmerboi43; 02-25-2007 at 02:28 PM.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #1308
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
hey.. question about provisional license.. whats the worse that could
happen if im driving at 3am and get stopped for a minor issue and have passengers in the car... whats the worse that could happen and what usually happens.. what would you do if the kid was pretty proper.. insured.. well kept nice car.. polite.. thanks.
I just addressed this no less than a week ago. Search for it.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #1309
thesethoughtsru

My Ride: is a fake CSL
Send a message via AIM to thesethoughtsru
this thread is gettin loooooooooooooong, but still good

Silver Grey on Recaros ///M3 - VCSL, CF Grills, SS Race, KW V2, Alcantara Int, Illum Door Sills
thesethoughtsru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #1310
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru View Post
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some cop started typing it, not knowing how many times the same questions would keep getting asked, and he'll continue replying in it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend....

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #1311
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
I think it is still one of the most interesting threads on this forum...

Same questions... same answers? True. But everybody thinks their situation is different. Add to that the fact that one officer might give a driver a 5 mph over leeway while another might offer a 10 mph and yet another might only give a warning to someone caught doing 15 mph over... that might suggest an inconsistency that feeds into our belief that we are all different.

And it's not just about speed. With all due respect to all law enforcement, these inconsistencies occur more often than not. Whether it's window tint, mods, speed, rolling stops, passing red lights...etc. It is all subjectve and might even depend on the color make or model of the vehicle being driven... All the while, the actual vehicle codes that are being enforced are far from being inconsistant. They are cut and dry, clear and concise.

I'll shut up now!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #1312
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru View Post
Shouldn't you have, I don't know, 67 o's in there?? That's how many pages there are (at least for now)

Thank you Sam
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #1313
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Same questions... same answers?
I'm sure there will be a time when I start to contradict myself with an earlier answer. Then someone's gonna jump all over me for it. But, my opinion chages on stuff just like everyone else's. Take, for instance, the speed that I "gave" in LA versus up here. I was alot harsher down there than I am now... I still write more tickets, but for higher speeds.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #1314
soulchild

My Ride: 00' Civic si (DD)
Why are women cops more strict?
soulchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #1315
blee321

My Ride: 04' 330CI Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to blee321
police officer frobie.

1. Do PBA (Police Benificiary Association) and DEA (Detectives Endowment Association) badges do anything for you in terms of not writing a summons? My family contributes to our local police department and we recieve them every year.

2. I am a young doctor, if you pulled me over speeding and I told you I was headed to the hospital because I was on call (eventhough I was really just going to CVS , what would you do? I would show you proof of my licensure.

Last edited by blee321; 02-27-2007 at 08:45 PM.
blee321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #1316
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I'm sure there will be a time when I start to contradict myself with an earlier answer. Then someone's gonna jump all over me for it. But, my opinion chages on stuff just like everyone else's. Take, for instance, the speed that I "gave" in LA versus up here. I was alot harsher down there than I am now... I still write more tickets, but for higher speeds.
Didn't used to be "nine you're fine ten you're mine"?

So what is it now? and it better rhyme too...

Seriously though, (and despite my rant a few posts earlier) I can understand why it would be higher where you are right now. Isn't the speed limit 70 out there?
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #1317
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee321 View Post
police officer frobie.

1. Do PBA (Police Benificiary Association) and DEA (Detectives Endowment Association) badges do anything for you in terms of not writing a summons? My family contributes to our local police department and we recieve them every year.

2. I am a young doctor, if you pulled me over speeding and I told you I was headed to the hospital because I was on call (eventhough I was really just going to CVS , what would you do? I would show you proof of my licensure.

1. Those don't really exist in CA...closest you get is the CHP 11-99 foundation for down officers. Even then, my buddy has that and was just cited by a chippy two weeks ago!
2. If you're a doctor and somehow subtly prove it, most likely won't get a cite especially if you work at a hospital. We don't like to cite people that we may one day rely on if we get shot/injured...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #1318
blee321

My Ride: 04' 330CI Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to blee321
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
1. Those don't really exist in CA...closest you get is the CHP 11-99 foundation for down officers. Even then, my buddy has that and was just cited by a chippy two weeks ago!
2. If you're a doctor and somehow subtly prove it, most likely won't get a cite especially if you work at a hospital. We don't like to cite people that we may one day rely on if we get shot/injured...
I see officer frobie has back up. Thanks officer OHCM3
blee321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #1319
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Not to toot my own horn much, but if you guys read about Paris Hilton getting her Bentley impounded last night...that was me!

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #1320
BearMW

My Ride: makes my ears bleed
^Are you bing sarcastic or serious? I get confused when you guys are playing around at times and being serious.

-Thanks SL Blak Soldier for the sig.
BearMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa