E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #1321
stiLL reaL iLL

My Ride: A chrome beach bike
Send a message via AIM to stiLL reaL iLL
Sgt. Allen Jr. ? That you ?

link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...tm?POE=LIFISVA

Last edited by stiLL reaL iLL; 02-28-2007 at 11:16 AM.
stiLL reaL iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #1322
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
^Are you bing sarcastic or serious? I get confused when you guys are playing around at times and being serious.
serious

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #1323
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiLL reaL iLL View Post

No Sgt. Allen actually works out of our Headquarters Bureau for media relations and was not on scene. I am in the pictures that you see on tmz.com and the like...

Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #1324
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchild View Post
Why are women cops more strict?
I dunno, but it sure does seem that way. I think it has to do with getting alot of crap for being in the profession in the first place. They take out their frustrations on the motoring public.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #1325
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee321 View Post
1. Do PBA (Police Benificiary Association) and DEA (Detectives Endowment Association) badges do anything for you in terms of not writing a summons? My family contributes to our local police department and we recieve them every year.
Like OHC said, the closest thing you can get to is the CHP 1199 foundation. But even that isn't a sure-fire way of getting out of a ticket. These type of things are helpful if you're ever stopped. But the problem is how you bring it up in conversation without sounding like you're trying to use it to get out of the ticket.

Quote:
2. I am a young doctor, if you pulled me over speeding and I told you I was headed to the hospital because I was on call (eventhough I was really just going to CVS , what would you do? I would show you proof of my licensure.
In Cali, you would have to have a medical placard displayed in the rear window to be able to break the law on your way to an emergency. It all depends, though, on how cool you are and what not. I don't like to cite doctors/nurses for the exact same reasons as OHC.

Thank you Sam
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #1326
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Didn't used to be "nine you're fine ten you're mine"?

So what is it now? and it better rhyme too...
How does nineteen your fine, twenty your mine work???

Actually, even though I used that quote, I never stop anyone under 15 over. Never have in the past. It depends on the situation, but for the most part, I'm pretty generous. However, if you're over my threshold, then you've got about a 98% chance of getting a ticket.

Quote:
Seriously though, (and despite my rant a few posts earlier) I can understand why it would be higher where you are right now. Isn't the speed limit 70 out there?
Yup, speed limit on I-5 up here is 70. Traffic usually moves at 80-85. I don't even bother turning on someone unless they're at 90. Sometimes I'll turn on 85, but it's rare. It depends on traffic, weather, yadda yadda yadda...

Thank you Sam
Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #1327
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Not to toot my own horn much, but if you guys read about Paris Hilton getting her Bentley impounded last night...that was me!
Man oh man... That's good stuff!!! A story for the ages! Did you 30 day it????

Thank you Sam
Old 02-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #1328
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Man oh man... That's good stuff!!! A story for the ages! Did you 30 day it????
Oh yeah...no favoritism at all. Cited for 14601 and for driving w/o headlights. PAS'd her just in case but came back completely clear (as a condition of probation, any reading would have made her good to book). Bentley will be sitting at Johnson's Tow in West Hollywood for 30 days!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #1329
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
I dunno, but it sure does seem that way. I think it has to do with getting alot of crap for being in the profession in the first place. They take out their frustrations on the motoring public.
I also think they come on strong... sort of on the offensive which normally would mean you're on the defensive... Gives them control right at the get go and if they're tough, they can maintain that the entire time...

Question is, are most of 'em ******* when they start or do they get that way during training?
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #1330
frobie15

Quote:
I also think they come on strong... sort of on the offensive which normally would mean you're on the defensive... Gives them control right at the get go and if they're tough, they can maintain that the entire time...
That's kinda how we're all trained to handle situations, but it does seem as if some of them or much more inclined to go the extra step even if it's not required.

Quote:
Question is, are most of 'em ******* when they start or do they get that way during training?
I'm gonna go ahead and plead the fifth on this one

But, there are plenty who aren't that at all...

Thank you Sam
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #1331
Speeder

Quote:
Not to toot my own horn much, but if you guys read about Paris Hilton getting her Bentley impounded last night...that was me!
To toot or not to toot, you're still ... She does not look too happy in those pictures...

I can't think like a blond (or at least not like Paris) BUT my guess is that she was driving with no lights hoping no one would see her

Last edited by Speeder; 03-01-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #1332
Speeder

Quote:
How does nineteen your fine, twenty your mine work???
Hey.... that's almost like the old one... But I guess it'll have to do...

Quote:
Actually, even though I used that quote, I never stop anyone under 15 over. Never have in the past. It depends on the situation, but for the most part, I'm pretty generous. However, if you're over my threshold, then you've got about a 98% chance of getting a ticket.

Yup, speed limit on I-5 up here is 70. Traffic usually moves at 80-85. I don't even bother turning on someone unless they're at 90. Sometimes I'll turn on 85, but it's rare. It depends on traffic, weather, yadda yadda yadda...
Any chance of you coming back into the L A area to offer some of our finest a training session or two...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #1333
frobie15

Quote:
I can't think like a blond (or at least not like Paris) BUT my guess is that she was driving with no lights hoping no one would see her
Alright, that was pretty dang funny!!!

Thank you Sam
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #1334
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449169
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #1335
truthcrip

My Ride: M3
hello, I was wondering. I was on my way from san jose to salinas and was on the 101 freeway. There were like 4 or 5 lanes with no cars except one white van, around like 1-3 p.m. I saw this white van going like 80-85 mph, i was going around the same. I then suddenly my R.D goes off and i slow down, check my rear view mirrors and there is a CHP behind me. I guess the white can didnt see him and so he kept on going the same speed. The CHP saw this but Never pulled him over. WHY. Whas it because where were no cars, 4-5 lanes, sunny and dry?
What's your opinions CHP's. And thanks in advance

Last edited by truthcrip; 03-05-2007 at 11:16 PM.
truthcrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #1336
nfamousM3

Well let me juss say i just recently saw this thread and like others have told u, thanks this is realy good information.

Heres my concern/question, i recently received an 85+ speeding ticket. I was paced at about 10pm id say light traffic. I was coming on the on ramp and i realy dont speed on streets, i was actualy just coming back from the track. Anyways their was a twisty on ramp so i punshed it because i love the twisties, so as i come on to the freeway i hit about 80ish mph and then let off and coast. Look at my rearview and right away see a chp coming from the last left lane and gets right behined me. Well he gave me a ticket and said i was doing 90+ and was giving me a break and only put 85+. I told him i dont recall doing that fast, said thank you when he gave me my license and registration and drove off. Didnt give him attitude just told him i dont think i was doing 90 which i didnt. Now my problem is i did traffic school about 1 year ago and in my job i cant afford any tickets. So yes i messed up but i have to try to attemp something. Now do u think i could keep extending the ticket as much as possible until i am elgible for traffic school again? or will i still not even be elgible due to the speed85+? Id preffer to do this but if not possible and my only other option is to fight it, which i would do my homework and read some books on laws, what do you seriously think are my chances? do you think the officer would show? Please advise me any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, my job/life are on the line. Thanks in advance, Brian
nfamousM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 AM   #1337
goofy10

My Ride: 1
My friend got a ticket for doing 50 in a 35.. He has a clean record, first ticket. 20 years old. What's he looking at? Traffic school will keep him from getting a point right? Thanks guys.
goofy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #1338
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamousM3 View Post
Well let me juss say i just recently saw this thread and like others have told u, thanks this is realy good information.

Heres my concern/question, i recently received an 85+ speeding ticket. I was paced at about 10pm id say light traffic. I was coming on the on ramp and i realy dont speed on streets, i was actualy just coming back from the track. Anyways their was a twisty on ramp so i punshed it because i love the twisties, so as i come on to the freeway i hit about 80ish mph and then let off and coast. Look at my rearview and right away see a chp coming from the last left lane and gets right behined me. Well he gave me a ticket and said i was doing 90+ and was giving me a break and only put 85+. I told him i dont recall doing that fast, said thank you when he gave me my license and registration and drove off. Didnt give him attitude just told him i dont think i was doing 90 which i didnt. Now my problem is i did traffic school about 1 year ago and in my job i cant afford any tickets. So yes i messed up but i have to try to attemp something. Now do u think i could keep extending the ticket as much as possible until i am elgible for traffic school again? or will i still not even be elgible due to the speed85+? Id preffer to do this but if not possible and my only other option is to fight it, which i would do my homework and read some books on laws, what do you seriously think are my chances? do you think the officer would show? Please advise me any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, my job/life are on the line. Thanks in advance, Brian
Sorry to hear about the cite, definately a pain for you. Extending won't help because you can typically only extend for 60-90 days max. Also, the clock starts at the last citation date...for instance, if the last citation you went to traffic school was issued last December (2005) you would be able to go back for a ticket received this upcoming June. The time period has to do only when you received the ticket, not when you actually went to traffic school. You can ask to go back since its been over 12 months, but that won't help the one point.

Fighting a ticket as a last ditch effort when you can't get traffic school is a good option. I prefer telling people to fight it by written declaration so that you can try to build a logical argument on paper, but that's up to you. No reason to fight it if you can't come up with some good point to use. Also, make sure that while you are fighting it, never admit to exceeding the limit, because if you do that, you are simply admitting guilt. Often people will say, "I know I wasn't going 85, because I would have never gone over 75", well you just admitted to exceeding the 65posted limit on the highway, so you just buried yourself. In my experience, judges seem to let about 25% of people off in an effort to appear fair.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #1339
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy10 View Post
My friend got a ticket for doing 50 in a 35.. He has a clean record, first ticket. 20 years old. What's he looking at? Traffic school will keep him from getting a point right? Thanks guys.
Depending on the county, just a fine and he needs to go to traffic school. No biggie for him.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #1340
nfamousM3

So if i fight it, do you think i have a chance? So far this is what i have. I will say I was coming on the on ramp accelerating because about a mile up the freeway splits and i needed to take the freeway that was in the last left 2 lanes. So i did accelerate coming on the freeway so that i could safely get to the far left lanes, but never did i go faster than the posted speed limit. Now the officer was about 3-4 cars behind me on the far left lane and could of easily mistaken me of speeding because i came in the freeway accelerating and my car is a sports vehicle that from factory has an agressive exhaust note when accelerating. Now i saw him as i entered the freeway on the far left and it would be very "dumb" (i plan on changing wording a bit) of me to have passed speed limit with a chp in sight. What do you think so far? ofcourse im still going to read some books and things to prepare for any questions and re-word some or my vocabulary. I also need to add and change some things.
nfamousM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa