E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #121
UberBimmer
LETS GO RED SOX

My Ride: a beat up bimmer
I do it because it gets me where I need to go.. granted I dont do 100 mph everywhere or even 90 mph everywhere but there are times on highways especially in the MD/Va area where you BETTER be going at least 80 or your going to get run over. it just bothers me to know that its ok for a police officer to drive 80 but if I do it I get a ticket.. The same with tint.. I was getting my car tinted for the 6th time after my 6th repair order and there was a cop in the shop and we were talking he was getting 5% all the way around INCLUDING his WINDSHIELD! this to me is not fair at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4izzle View Post
i like heavy women. what's your name girl?
UberBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #122
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
true, but more times than not, it appears that they are simply driving as fast as they want to without their lights on. I have followed cops on the highway going about 80 in a 55, with traffic moving at about 60-65 for miles and miles. There is no reason for that. In an urban area, there would be cops that are much closer to any event than these guys, they are just speeding because they can. It is a clear abuse of power.
"Miles and miles" doesn't seem that far to me. I've responded 26 miles to a call one night. And that's in Orange County, which is hardly rural. Took about 17 minutes at an average of 100mph. And, no, there weren't any CHP units closer. Like Unveiled said, just because lights aren't on, doesn't mean that there's not a call. I try to turn on my "excuse me lights" to the rear when I do this, but at night, people in front see the glow and slam on their brakes unexpectedly. To call it "a clear abuse of power" is unfortunate.

Last edited by frobie15; 03-27-2006 at 03:19 PM.
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #123
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBimmer
I do it because it gets me where I need to go.. granted I dont do 100 mph everywhere or even 90 mph everywhere but there are times on highways especially in the MD/Va area where you BETTER be going at least 80 or your going to get run over. it just bothers me to know that its ok for a police officer to drive 80 but if I do it I get a ticket..
Like I've said, I speed both on and off duty. It's something that everyone does. Is there are reason for me to speed on duty? Absolutely. The reason just might not be apparent to other people around me.

Quote:
The same with tint.. I was getting my car tinted for the 6th time after my 6th repair order and there was a cop in the shop and we were talking he was getting 5% all the way around INCLUDING his WINDSHIELD! this to me is not fair at all..
Think about it this way. There are people out there who don't like cops. In fact, they don't like them enough to want to physically harm them. These turds wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cop if they recognized them and saw them driving around in their own car. For a cop to have tinted windows on their own car is a safety issue. And, you're not going to want to hear this, but; most cops do not write other cops tickets (for speeding or otherwise). Cars look better with tinted windows, so most cops can get away with it. Is it BS? Maybe. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #124
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Think about it this way. There are people out there who don't like cops. In fact, they don't like them enough to want to physically harm them. These turds wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cop if they recognized them and saw them driving around in their own car.
This is a sad reality, and a definite con in relation to a life in law enforcement.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #125
klubbheads

My Ride: G35 Sedan 6MT
Send a message via AIM to klubbheads
Quote:
Don't take quotes out of context!!!! Do you work for the mainstream media???? I agree that a car looks better with tint (that's why every car that I've owned has been tinted). I was refering to a lightly tinted windshield. Why would you lightly tint it (which is illegal) as a glare reducer, when you can just wear sunglasses?? That's what I meant by the "then why tint it at all" statement.
I miss understood. I thought u were refering to the front side windows .

mods=Mostly suspension.
klubbheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #126
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
I have no idea... I can do the same thing with a specific index card at work, but I don't do it often. And, I have no clue what happens to them after we turn them in. Our department is big on this, though, since we get our entire budget from registration fees/taxes.

And, I think it's really funny what you did to your ex!!!
I'm sure she thinks otherwise... I got my payback though

Quote:
...Last night, while at the scene of an accident where a car had gone over the side of the road and flipped into a creek ...

Lucky he didn't kill all four of us............
Glad you guys are all OK... Stupid drunk drivers

A friend of mine was telling me about an LA County Sheriff motorcycle Deputy (45 years old) was killed last Friday (in Lancaster, I think) when a car turned in front of him as he was responding to a call (lights and sirens)...

May he rest in peace!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #127
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Quote:
Maybe I should lead by example and practice what I preach. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world.
Quote:
And, you're not going to want to hear this, but; most cops do not write other cops tickets (for speeding or otherwise). Cars look better with tinted windows, so most cops can get away with it. Is it BS? Maybe. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

Ok.. theres some pretty bad excuses lately for what cops should/shouldn't do. Now I really dont know what to think when I get pulled over. Why the hell should I get a ticket when the police, the almighty law of the road, can excuse themselves and other officers from what is WRONG. I can see this happening with murder or theft... I think you should rethink your answers, because now I have an even more negative view of officers and the police.

if you cant beat 'em join 'em...
are you SERIOUS? what kind of excuse is that?
dont officers join the force to protect and serve? and not to get out of tickets...?

Quote:
Like I've said, I speed both on and off duty. It's something that everyone does. Is there are reason for me to speed on duty? Absolutely. The reason just might not be apparent to other people around me.
... Ill be sure to tell the next officer that pulls me over this one....
maybe he'll let me off with a warning

frobie, I know it takes a while to answer all the questions, and thank you for the honest opinions. I just cant get over cops and their daily power trips.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #128
UberBimmer
LETS GO RED SOX

My Ride: a beat up bimmer
[QUOTE=frobie15
Think about it this way. There are people out there who don't like cops. In fact, they don't like them enough to want to physically harm them. These turds wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cop if they recognized them and saw them driving around in their own car. For a cop to have tinted windows on their own car is a safety issue. And, you're not going to want to hear this, but; most cops do not write other cops tickets (for speeding or otherwise). Cars look better with tinted windows, so most cops can get away with it. Is it BS? Maybe. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em [/QUOTE]

Yea but that is a blanket statement that can be said for anyone.. Who is to say that there are people out there that dont like me..and if they recognized me they would try to harm me... That arguement doesnt fly with me sorry.. a cop can be recognized walking down the street as easily as driving down one.. if someone wants to hurt you they will.. tint will not protect you

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4izzle View Post
i like heavy women. what's your name girl?
UberBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #129
E55

My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
Question to Frobie:

You didn't pull me over yesterday night in Newport did you?

I had a cool cop pull me over and let me go for speeding but gave me a fix-it ticket for my tailights. No biggie. He was a young guy and he didn't come off as an a-hole at all. I treated him with respect and he did the same to me. We need more cops like him or maybe it was you? haha

EDIT: NM, just read that you are a CHP. so it most likely wasn't you.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #130
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiled
This is a sad reality, and a definite con in relation to a life in law enforcement.
Yup, law enforcement isn't the best career for having a family. I've heard stories of cops being confronted by guys that they've arrested when they had their family with them at Six Flags Magic Mountain!! I know that it's alot to ask, but have some decency to realize that we have a job to do, and it's nothing personal. And for crying out loud, leave my family out of it!!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #131
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubbheads
I miss understood. I thought u were refering to the front side windows .
No worries. You're forgiven
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #132
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
A friend of mine was telling me about an LA County Sheriff motorcycle Deputy (45 years old) was killed last Friday (in Lancaster, I think) when a car turned in front of him as he was responding to a call (lights and sirens)...

May he rest in peace!
And some people wonder why I don't ride on-duty... It sucks whenever any agency loses an Officer though. Thank you for your sympathy.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #133
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
Why the hell should I get a ticket when the police, the almighty law of the road, can excuse themselves and other officers from what is WRONG. I can see this happening with murder or theft...
It's obvious from this, and some of your other posts in other threads that you have a chip on your shoulder towards law enforcement in general. I got a speeding ticket about a year and a half ago. And there are some Cops out there who will write another Officer a ticket. You can see this happening with murder or theft? Come on! How many waiters and waitresses do you know who eat for free on the job? What about bar tenders that get get free drinks? Or someone who works at a clothing store that gets discounts on clothes? These are all called perks of the job. One of the perks of my job is that I likely will not get a ticket. It's a professional courtest that I extend to other Officers, and most of them extend to me as well.

Quote:
if you cant beat 'em join 'em...
are you SERIOUS? what kind of excuse is that?
dont officers join the force to protect and serve? and not to get out of tickets...?
No, Officers don't join the force to protect and serve, they join to make a difference. I didn't join the CHP just so I could get out of tickets. I only had one speeding ticket before I got hired. How many times did I speed? All the time. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." is a phrase that has been around longer than anyone reading this thread has. It's said sarcastically, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
... Ill be sure to tell the next officer that pulls me over this one....
maybe he'll let me off with a warning
Everybody does speed, and tell the Officer that. I've heard it before. "But Officer, I was going the flow of traffic." It wouldn't be the first time I heard this excuse. You're trying to take things that I'm saying out of context. I'm telling you the truth in that everyone speeds. It's just that simple.

Quote:
frobie, I know it takes a while to answer all the questions, and thank you for the honest opinions. I just cant get over cops and their daily power trips.
Oh, Okay. So now I have a power trip on a daily basis. You need to check your attitude somewhere else. Or, should I invite you out with me next time I'm on a skirmish line in the middle of a bunch of protestors throwing bottles and rocks at me. You think I deserve to get spit at just because I'm wearing a uniform? You think that Police work is all glamour? Give me a break.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #134
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBimmer
Yea but that is a blanket statement that can be said for anyone.. Who is to say that there are people out there that dont like me..and if they recognized me they would try to harm me... That arguement doesnt fly with me sorry.. a cop can be recognized walking down the street as easily as driving down one.. if someone wants to hurt you they will.. tint will not protect you
There could be people out there who don't like you. But, I doubt that people hate you based solely on your chosen profession. Do you drive home the same way everyday, not looking in your mirror to make sure that you're being followed? I doubt it. I take different routes home from work just to add to the hope that people don't find out where I live. The reason why most Officer's have their cars tinted is so certain people don't recognize them and follow them home. It's the same reason why I have Confidential Plates on all of my cars. People don't need to be able to find me at home. And if tint helps to ease my mind, then tint away.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #135
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55
You didn't pull me over yesterday night in Newport did you?
Nope, I would've remembered your car if I did

Quote:
I had a cool cop pull me over and let me go for speeding but gave me a fix-it ticket for my tailights. No biggie. He was a young guy and he didn't come off as an a-hole at all. I treated him with respect and he did the same to me. We need more cops like him or maybe it was you? haha
What? Your mean not all of us are jerks? What? I need his name so I can talk to him about being cool to people. We have stereotypes to maintain, you know...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #136
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
A mistake of the mind is forgiveable, but a mistake of the heart is not.
There's a quote to remember!
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #137
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr
There's a quote to remember!
Too bad I can't remember where I heard it. I can't give credit where it's due... Oh well, I guess I'll have to take credit for it
Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #138
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface
tinted windshield? Thats just insane
Nah, it's normal...you'd be surprised on how many people have it, especially out in Vegas. You just make sure to get the lightest shade (it helps the dash not get messed up by the sun and reduces glare). I had it on my M and never got pulled over for it and will probably have it on the 996tt...
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #139
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Great thread Frobie, very informative! You know, I have nothing against cops and I respect the things that they have to put up with. It just bothers me that there are some out there that take things a little too far. What I mean is, I've been pulled over more than a few times (mostly by CHP) for non-moving violations (no front plate, tint, exhaust, etc). I wouldn't mind so much if the cop included tint or no plate on the ticket that I got for speeding, but getting pulled over only for such a thing like tint or no front plate is weak if you ask me. What are you thoughts on that? Do you pull people over for "fix-it" tickets without them committing a moving violation?
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #140
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
I've been pulled over more than a few times (mostly by CHP) for non-moving violations (no front plate, tint, exhaust, etc). I wouldn't mind so much if the cop included tint or no plate on the ticket that I got for speeding, but getting pulled over only for such a thing like tint or no front plate is weak if you ask me. What are you thoughts on that? Do you pull people over for "fix-it" tickets without them committing a moving violation?
My personal rule is three mechanical violations gets a stop. That means a combination of tint, no front plate, no regisration, brake light out, view to license plate obstructed, things like that. If you've got three of 'em, I'll pull you over for it; but probably only if I'm bored. You've got to understand that this happens during rush hour (which is more like three-four hours in LaLa Land) when I'm not going to get speeders or anything that's a mover (i.e. speeding, lane change, tailgating).

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa