E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #1481
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
The fine plus court penalties and fees is approximately $200 (16-25mph over the limit... it could have been approx $380 if you were cited for 90 mph (25 mph or higher)).

The Court adds an additonal $28 for San Diego County (I believe).

Total = $228 (approximate) + the fee you'll have to pay to the Traffic School.

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/pag..._schema=PORTAL

&

Awesome (your help, not the fine lol), thanks.

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #1482
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Six months and two days two long in my opinion. Seriously, I think you're a pretty cool guy and for you to move out to the boonies should be enough reason for her to second guess her motivation to cheat and lie. No worries though, karma works in mysterious ways...
Yeah, I know that she's the one who's going to suffer in the long run. It just sucks nuts to go through this crap.

Quote:
Any chance you'd move back down this way? We need you down here...
The idea is there. I've thought about going back to Culver City. Or down to San Diego. Even Santa Barbara. But I just moved in to a house with a buddy, and the rent's really, really cheap. So I won't be moving back down there until I'm out of debt... Probably a couple of years

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #1483
frobie15

Quote:
Frobie?

Are you kidding me??!!?!?!?!? I haven't written a ticket for FTC in years! Everyone does it so often that they don't even realize they're doing it.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #1484
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post
I was recently on a trip to norcal and i recieved a ticket. The ticket was for following too closely to the vehicle in front of me. The car that I was following was actually my friend's car, I was behind him with reasonable distance, not riding his bumper or anything at all. I was hoping if there is any possible way to fight this. If I totally believed that I was a 100% at fault then I wouldn't mind about it as much, but for the traffic conditions given, I thought that the distance was resonable. I am sure that the officer which issued the ticket to me did not think the same, however. Would it help if I had my friend write and sign me a letter also as a witness?
Like what Chris said, it's going to be your word against the Officer's. You need to keep in mind the three second rule. At freeway speeds you should have at the minimum three seconds between you and the car in front of you.

On a side note where did you get the ticket? What city or county, what Officer?

Thank you Sam
Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #1485
jasyn

My Ride: retired 330i
following up on my other thread that i posted here about my xenon white LED backup bulbs http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=466054 .. are they illegal or not?
jasyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #1486
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
following up on my other thread that i posted here about my xenon white LED backup bulbs http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=466054 .. are they illegal or not?
They are supposed to be clear white. If they have a little bit of a blue tint to them like many/most LEDs do, then technically, maybe. This cop may have been a little bit of a jackass, but not sure why you're so fired up since he didn't cite you or anything...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #1487
jasyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
They are supposed to be clear white. If they have a little bit of a blue tint to them like many/most LEDs do, then technically, maybe. This cop may have been a little bit of a jackass, but not sure why you're so fired up since he didn't cite you or anything...
i'm fired up because this cop had the audacity to ticket me over xenon white back up bulbs .. with his smart ass attitude of "i'm in a race club - you can't bullsh*t me" .. that's ridiculous .. i'm sure there were more outstanding things occurring at that moment in time somewhere else that the cop could of been attending to!

regardless .. what's the violation code (IF ANY) that this would of gone under?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #1488
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
i'm fired up because this cop had the audacity to ticket me over xenon white back up bulbs .. with his smart ass attitude of "i'm in a race club - you can't bullsh*t me" .. that's ridiculous .. i'm sure there were more outstanding things occurring at that moment in time somewhere else that the cop could of been attending to!

Wait... now you're saying you did get a ticket...

In your other thread you said you didn't get a ticket...
Quote:
didn't get a ticket .. but the cop was straight up giving me attitude .. he's all like .. "what are we going to do about those illegal lights of yoURs" .. and i'm like .. what illegal lights .. he's like .. the ones when you back up .. i'm like .. it's just LED bulbs .. he's like "trust me .. their illegal .. i'm in a race club around here (ucla area i suppose) - you can't bullshit me" .. i'm like .. well you got me .. just bought them online .. i'd change them, but i an't got my tools with me "i'm just giving you a heads up" .. blah blah blah .. EAT SH*T

****en prick .. giving me attitude at 2 in teh ****en morning .. don't these cops got something better to do then ****en give me **** about xenon back up lights? go catch a ****en criminal
Were you lying then or are you lying now?

Also, let me remind you that the title for this thread is "Cop Talk"... May I suggest that you wash your mouth out with soap before you come in here asking them for help.

Last edited by Speeder; 04-24-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #1489
jasyn

Quote:
Wait... now you're saying you did get a ticket...

In your other thread you said you didn't get a ticket...

Were you lying then or are you lying now?

Also, let me remind you that the title for this thread is "Cop Talk"... May I suggest that you wash your mouth out with soap before you come in here asking them for help.
he wanted to ticket me .. i never said he did ticket me .. perhaps the phrase "audacity to ticket me" was confusing .. my mistake

and don't tell me to wash my mouth out .. i never posted what i wrote on the previous thread onto here .. my original post was simple enough to ask if they were illegal or not and re-directing to my other thread if necessary.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #1490
frobie15

Quote:
24606. (a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps.

(b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red, amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.

(c) Backup lamps shall not be lighted except when the vehicle is about to be or is backing or except in conjunction with a lighting system which activates the lights for a temporary period after the ignition system is turned off.

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #1491
jasyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
24606. (a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps.

(b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red, amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.

(c) Backup lamps shall not be lighted except when the vehicle is about to be or is backing or except in conjunction with a lighting system which activates the lights for a temporary period after the ignition system is turned off.

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.
thank you sir i'll be sure to print this out and stash it in my car for future incidents
Old 04-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #1492
frobie15

Quote:
Quote:
he wanted to ticket me .. i never said he did ticket me .. perhaps the phrase "audacity to ticket me" was confusing .. my mistake

and don't tell me to wash my mouth out .. i never posted what i wrote on the previous thread onto here .. my original post was simple enough to ask if they were illegal or not and re-directing to my other thread if necessary.
The problem is that you're acting two-faced. You're bashing and trashing cops in one place then coming in here asking for our help. Speeder simply was giving you a warning before you said something you'd get hammered for.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #1493
\\\VLADA

My Ride: C70 T5
Send a message via MSN to \\\VLADA
Let's say I went to the states this summer for a five week vacation and took my car with me. Would it be a problem to drive around in my car with foreign (european) license plates?
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
\\\VLADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #1494
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by \\\VLADA View Post
Let's say I went to the states this summer for a five week vacation and took my car with me. Would it be a problem to drive around in my car with foreign (european) license plates?
That's a fantastic question. Unfortunately one that I don't have the answer to. I think you could try to contact the US Government, or Customs, or something along those lines to find out more information. Maybe even a government agency from the Netherlands would have the information.

I don't see it being any different than a Mexico or Canada based car being here. So my best guess that as long as you have the drivers license from abroad and the car is registered there, you shouldn't run into any problems. Best bet is to not break the law while you're here

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #1495
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by \\\VLADA View Post
I think you might have to make a few mods to your car...

But according to this you should be fine otherwise (Link --> http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...ortingacar.doc

An excerpt:
Quote:
-MOTORISTS VISITING THE UNITED STATES as tourists from countries that have ratified the Convention on International Road Traffic of 1949 may drive in the U.S. for one year with their own national license plates (registration tags) on their own national license plates (registration tags) on their cars and with their own personal drivers’ licenses.
&

Quote:
FREE ENTRY -NONRESIDENTS may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Last edited by Speeder; 04-25-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #1496
\\\VLADA

My Ride: C70 T5
Send a message via MSN to \\\VLADA
Yea, I already thought there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks guys!
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
\\\VLADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #1497
frobie15

Quote:
I think you might have to make a few mods to your car...

I don't know if he really wants to make those mods!

I knew that if anyone would have the info, you would, Speeder!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #1498
Speeder

Quote:
I knew that if anyone would have the info, you would, Speeder!
I'm just the messenger though... If it wasn't for Al Gore and his inventing the internet, I wouldn't know nuthin'...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #1499
frobie15

Quote:
I'm just the messenger though... If it wasn't for Al Gore and his inventing the internet, I wouldn't know nuthin'...
And if you read it on the 'net then it must be true!!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #1500
Speeder

Quote:
And if you read it on the 'net then it must be true!!
Not necessarilly true all the time...

Only if "I" post it on here then it's Speeder Certified

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa