E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #1501
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Not necessarilly true all the time...

Only if "I" post it on here then it's Speeder Certified

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #1502
Da Jemster

My Ride: is ///Mpulsive
Hi Frobie. Excuse me if this question has been posed before but I'm not gonna go through 1,500 posts or search "100mph".

Anyways, last night I got a speeding ticket for driving "100". I scanned the ticket so if you need to see it I can post it.

22349(a) V.C. EXCEED 65 MPH.

For those that know the 118 freeway in Simi Valley, it is one long strip of freeway. At 11:30pm last night, I decided to see how fast I can take the car up to. There were no cars in front of me and I ran it hard and I got it up to 162mph and let off as soon as I saw taillights on the horizon.

Well during the take off from about 80mph, a street cop was at an onramp (below freeway level) just writing his notes after issuing a citation. He saw my tail lights and he said his radar indicated 107 mph. So he started his cruiser and for a few seconds he said he was doing 125mph and just kept seeing my taillights still pulling away.

Like I had mentioned I let off gas as soon as I saw tail lights. From that point on I brought the car down to 70 mph. I look into my rearview mirror and I don't see any headlights. Maybe 3-4 seconds later, I look up again and I see these headlights coming up fast. But I am so far away it takes him a good 30 seconds to come up to my tail. BUT BEFORE HE DOES GET TO ME, I had already passed 3 cars when I slowed down to 70mph, and I noticed him slowing down beside, not behind, each of the 3 cars behind me like he was checking out their tail lights. When he finally gets to me, it takes him awhile, maybe 10 seconds checking out my rears from the #1 lane, while I've been sitting on the #2 lane for a long time already, when he finally goes behind me and lights me up.

When he gets to my passenger window, he asks "Do you know why I'm stopping you?" I say, "was I speeding?" He says, "How fast were you going?". I say, "I don't know, I don't think I was speeding". He then says he clocked me at 107mph and when got his cruiser traveling 125mph, he just kept seeing me pull away. BUT THE ONLY TIME I SAW HIS HEADLIGHTS, I ALREADY SLOWED DOWN TO 70MHP. He writes the ticket at only "100" because he is cutting me a break. I want to AND I NEED TO go to court for this cuz I already took traffic school just 14 months ago.

I'm sure he is BS'ng about the radar 'cuz my very trustworthy Passport did not go off one bit during this run. He was fishing for the perp when he was looking behind us 4 cars and chose my M3 cuz the 3 cars I passed were slower cars.

Can I fight this?

08 E93 DCT - Stock for now...

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Da Jemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #1503
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
couldn't you ask the cop "When was the last time you calibrated your radar?"

how often should they?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #1504
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
couldn't you ask the cop "When was the last time you calibrated your radar?"

how often should they?
We don't calibrate the radar units. The units are calibrated every 36 months at the longest by an independent lab. We use San Diego State to do ours and actually have ours done every 30 months so that we're never out of compliance.

However, we check the calibration at the beginning and end of each shift. At least, we're supposed to...

Thank you Sam
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #1505
Da Jemster

Here's the ticket if need to view it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ticket.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	224698  

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #1506
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jemster View Post
Hi Frobie. Excuse me if this question has been posed before but I'm not gonna go through 1,500 posts or search "100mph".

Anyways, last night I got a speeding ticket for driving "100". I scanned the ticket so if you need to see it I can post it.
I edited for space...

Quote:
Can I fight this?
You can fight this. However, you're going to be hard pressed to win it. There are several reasons why you shouldn't. And, I'm not going to chastize you for your actions. But, keep this in mind. Had the officer written you for 125+ which he could easily have done, you'd be looking at a $1500+ fine and a 30 day suspension on your license. Only being cited for 100 is going to be in the area of $300 -- but no suspension. The officer cut you a tremendous break. Don't be that guy that still fights this even though you were cut this big of a break on the fine/punishment.

As far as him taking awhile to catch up to you and light you up. He was probably checking to see if the other cars matched the one that he saw fly by. And, just because you didn't see him doesn't mean that he never lost sight of you. He probably stayed behind you for those 10 or so seconds while he ran your plate and put out the location of vehicle stop. I've had people try to tell me that I simply pulled over the wrong car, or was mistaken on the speed. But I assure you that I've been doing the job long enough and am enough of a car guy to know the kind of car I'm after even in the dark (just by headlights/tailights). Good luck if you have any other questions, ask away!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #1507
Da Jemster

thx for the quick reply...PM sent.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #1508
iygnitna

My Ride: is blue
I was just wondering, if i wish to deal with my ticket through "trial by written declaration", how should i go about handling it? should i formally send in a request first with my courtesy notice, stating i wish to have a "trial by written declaration"? or should i just go ahead and send in a completed "trial by written declaration" form along with my bail amount and the courtesy notice?
iygnitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #1509
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iygnitna View Post
I was just wondering, if i wish to deal with my ticket through "trial by written declaration", how should i go about handling it? should i formally send in a request first with my courtesy notice, stating i wish to have a "trial by written declaration"? or should i just go ahead and send in a completed "trial by written declaration" form along with my bail amount and the courtesy notice?
You need to request to do a TBD through the court first. Then they'll send you out the paperwork along with instructions on how to do it.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #1510
iygnitna

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
You need to request to do a TBD through the court first. Then they'll send you out the paperwork along with instructions on how to do it.
i can just give them a call to request it right? and thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #1511
frobie15

Quote:
i can just give them a call to request it right? and thanks for the help
You should be able to call them to request it. But that's only as far as I know.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #1512
iygnitna

Quote:
You should be able to call them to request it. But that's only as far as I know.
alright, i'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #1513
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
alright, i'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks!
You might also be able to do a TBD request online. (At least in Los Angeles County you can)... If you do it online, you will have to post bail even though the Vehicle Code states otherwise

What county did you get your ticket in?
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #1514
iygnitna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
You might also be able to do a TBD request online. (At least in Los Angeles County you can)... If you do it online, you will have to post bail even though the Vehicle Code states otherwise

What county did you get your ticket in?
san diego. but i'll just go ahead and give the court clerk a call tomorrow and see how i should go about doing it by TBD
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #1515
frobie15

Quote:
san diego. but i'll just go ahead and give the court clerk a call tomorrow and see how i should go about doing it by TBD
I'm gonna give you the heads up that a TBD is VERY hard to win for a defendant. I fill out the other side of them all the time and still didn't win one for a prima facie limit ticket (prima facie are easier to win than max speed, btw).

Good luck!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #1516
iygnitna

Quote:
I'm gonna give you the heads up that a TBD is VERY hard to win for a defendant. I fill out the other side of them all the time and still didn't win one for a prima facie limit ticket (prima facie are easier to win than max speed, btw).

Good luck!
my ticket was for failure to stop at a limit line, not speeding. but it can't hurt right? cause don't i still get the option of traffic school if the TBD doesn't work?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #1517
frobie15

Quote:
my ticket was for failure to stop at a limit line, not speeding. but it can't hurt right? cause don't i still get the option of traffic school if the TBD doesn't work?
You can actually fight it in court later if you lose the TBD (since you don't have the ability to question the witness/officer).

Make sure you look up the cities codes and what not about minimum visibility to the sign. I watched a guy get out of blowing a stop sign (admitted it to the judge) but he brought in some crazy code that in some kind of measurement deal, the sign was actually non-enforceable due to a tree hanging in the way.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #1518
iygnitna

Quote:
You can actually fight it in court later if you lose the TBD (since you don't have the ability to question the witness/officer).

Make sure you look up the cities codes and what not about minimum visibility to the sign. I watched a guy get out of blowing a stop sign (admitted it to the judge) but he brought in some crazy code that in some kind of measurement deal, the sign was actually non-enforceable due to a tree hanging in the way.
wow... the thing with my case is that i'm pretty sure i did stop at the stop sign. i didn't drive through it, i've never done that. when the officer pulled me over, i was actually confused as to why he did so. in the approx. speed box on the ticket, it says i was going 20mph. and i know there was no way i was moving anywhere close to that (i was in neutral and on the brakes). i'm just hoping the judge will see that i have a clean driving history and take my word for it. if not, then i'll just go with traffic school. but i'm sure i stopped that time.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #1519
frobie15

Quote:
wow... the thing with my case is that i'm pretty sure i did stop at the stop sign. i didn't drive through it, i've never done that. when the officer pulled me over, i was actually confused as to why he did so. in the approx. speed box on the ticket, it says i was going 20mph. and i know there was no way i was moving anywhere close to that (i was in neutral and on the brakes). i'm just hoping the judge will see that i have a clean driving history and take my word for it. if not, then i'll just go with traffic school. but i'm sure i stopped that time.
Just saying you didn't do it is going to be a tough row to ***... Good luck!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #1520
iygnitna

Quote:
Just saying you didn't do it is going to be a tough row to ***... Good luck!
yea, i know... but i figure i'd give it a try. worse come to worst, traffic school.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa