E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #161
jas0n

My Ride: 02 m3
Yeah dude, that place is freakin dangerous. Especially at night when you get off tonner to go local to diamond bar because of traffic, theres alot of retards that make 1 lanes into 2 and then swerve like crazy because they can't cut in.
jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #162
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
gonna have to live with it. There is a way to stop this though. Dont do it! and encourage other officers not to do it. Know its wrong --> dont do it.
Hmm... Good luck with that one I don't think I'm going to ruin this for everyone. Although, I'll write Long Beach PD tickets (since I got a speeding ticket from them)

Quote:
Yeah, I speed. and after I got the ticket I dont run stop signs anymore. XP
This thread isnt about me.
About the "cops suck" threads... I think Ive only been in two O_O
But that's two more than a family member of law enforcement should be in. It's not everyone's favorite profession, and we need as many supporters as we can get. If your dad is a cop, then you would understand this.

[QUOTE]oh, I have a question(s):
I live in Davis, and soo many people ride bikes, its become the nations largest bike per capita, and 2nd in the world. Would you stop me at night for no bike light? reflectors? listening to music in both ears? And would I be highly likely to outrun you if you were in a car?[QUOTE]
I don't care about bicycles too much. I've stopped a bike before for the guy wearing headphones, though. He was out in the left turn lane. I figured since he wanted to play "I'm a car" then I was going to play "You have to follow the rules". This isn't to say that if I was bored enough, that I wouldn't jam up someone on their "Meth Chariot".

Quote:
How do you handle a race situation? if two cars take off and you spot them and get behind both, one pulls over, and the other takes off. do you just go for the one thats stopped or do you attempt to pull over the one thats running? OR do you pull over both?
I've made double stops before, but they aren't easy to do. Especially at night. But, that's not to say they don't happen. Chances are, I'm going to go after the car that doesn't stop. But that's not set in stone. I'd start with trying to stop both, and work from there.

Quote:
Do the cameras in intersections only snap the front licence plate? Does california require that both the licence plate and the driver be in the photo to issue a ticket? Is it true that if you just roll through a stop sign without hitting the gas (say in neutral) that you wont set off the camera. And is it true that if you accidentally roll through a stop light when red, and dont make it look like you tried to gun it, youll be able to avoid a ticket and even perhaps getting pulled over?
The cameras take pictures of both front and rear, as far as I know. And, just to clear things up, there aren't stop sign cameras. The cameras are set up to go off if you trip the sensors going faster than 18mph. If they go off, they actually take a video to see if you came to a stop. Never ever gun it to make a yellow light. If you have time to hit it, then you have time to hit the brakes, right? Ultimately, if you aren't across the first crosswalk line when the light turns red, you're asking to get pulled over. Red light runners are way up on the list of people that cause BAD accidents, so they aren't looked at too kindly by us.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #163
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0n
Yeah dude, that place is freakin dangerous. Especially at night when you get off tonner to go local to diamond bar because of traffic, theres alot of retards that make 1 lanes into 2 and then swerve like crazy because they can't cut in.
The stretch between Tonner Canyon Rd. and Diamond Bar Blvd. is nuckin' futs!! Just remember, if you have to crash on that road, do it north of the LA County line! That way it's handled by the Santa Fe Springs area, and not Santa Ana
It's sad how many people will risk others lives just because they don't want to wait in traffic like everyone else I don't get it...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #164
jas0n

My Ride: 02 m3
hahaha makes your job alot easier i'll bet.
jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #165
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0n
hahaha makes your job alot easier i'll bet.
Yeah, it sure does! Although, I do have the drawing for the creek on file now

By the way, you're my 500th post. Hope it was good for you
Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #166
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Since I work that area, I'd be in the middle of co-workers... I'm just sayin'
Sweet, good to know that you can "open" the car up without gettin busted...kinda wish it was the middle of the night with an open freeway to see how high on the speedometer we can go...
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #167
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Sweet, good to know that you can "open" the car up without gettin busted...kinda wish it was the middle of the night with an open freeway to see how high on the speedometer we can go...
There's always the I-5 through Camp Pendleton........ Not that I would suggest anything illegal, of course, but a friend of mine opened up her old 996TT through there. Hit 165
Old 03-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #168
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Quote:
But that's two more than a family member of law enforcement should be in. It's not everyone's favorite profession, and we need as many supporters as we can get. If your dad is a cop, then you would understand this.

Thanks for the info.

My dad loves to tell me about guns and situations, but not about cops. I think what Ive learned from him is that a bad cop is no different than a bad person. He's never pushed any kind of 'police are the almighty so bow down' attitude, so Ive formed my own opinion.... but Im sure if he was still working on the force, I wouldnt be in so many of the cops suck threads
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #169
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
Thanks for the info.

My dad loves to tell me about guns and situations, but not about cops. I think what Ive learned from him is that a bad cop is no different than a bad person. He's never pushed any kind of 'police are the almighty so bow down' attitude, so Ive formed my own opinion.... but Im sure if he was still working on the force, I wouldnt be in so many of the cops suck threads
Not a problem. I understand that there ARE bad cops out there, and I'm not trying to defend them. It just seems to me that there are alot of people that think that a cop that might yell at them makes that cop "bad". I bite my tongue alot when I'm at work, and don't go around looking to get into fights. And there are plenty of other Officer's who aren't out looking for trouble. I've had people file complaints against me, but whatever.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #170
Rob_ZHP

My Ride: LSB E92 M3
Its nice to have cops like you contributing to the community here. Thanks.

There are some however that are lets say "not my favorite people"

For example the other day a motorcycle officer pulls me over for no apparent reason. So I roll down my windows (I have 5% tint ) and wait for him. He comes and tells me to give him license, reg and ins. Right after that he tells me roll my windows up and says illegal tint. Then he moves to the front of the car and says no plate and blue bulbs then he moves to the back and says white bulbs as turn signals are illegal. So I get a ticket for all and I have no problem with it. So the next day on the same street his partner pulls me over and when I tell him I already got a ticket he gets pissed off and says " Oh well when you have a piece of Sh#t then you gotta take care of it" in those exact words. I was shocked as to why he said that. I didnt say anything after that and he just left. Sorry for the long story.

Anyway my question is this. Do cops have a quota they need to meet. Like a specific number of tickets they need to give out each month. I noticed that towards the end of the month more tickets are given out. Is this true? Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 AM   #171
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_ZHP
Anyway my question is this. Do cops have a quota they need to meet. Like a specific number of tickets they need to give out each month. I noticed that towards the end of the month more tickets are given out. Is this true? Thanks again.
I apologize for the actions/words of the second Officer. But, in his defense, it does kind of suck to pull someone over for a mechanical violation and they've already got a ticket. All that work, and nothing to show for it. Although, you have to see the humor in calling your car a POS, right?

As for quotas and what not. They legally cannot exsist, and they don't exsist in the real world. It's simply a matter of going out and earning your paycheck. It may seem that there are more tickets written at the end of the month, but it simply isn't true. The most tickets that I've ever written in one day was 18 (14 speeding, 3 registration, 1 tint [which was funny in and of itself]). It was a Sunday morning in the middle of February. I think I wrote like 12 or 14 on the Saturday before, too
Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 AM   #172
E55

My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
A friend has a 95 M3. His cats are intact and fine, but he took the cat-back exhaust off. What kind of fine is that if he were to get pulled over and ticketed?

Is it just a simple fix-it ticket for being too loud?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 AM   #173
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55
A friend has a 95 M3. His cats are intact and fine, but he took the cat-back exhaust off. What kind of fine is that if he were to get pulled over and ticketed?

Is it just a simple fix-it ticket for being too loud?
Most likely, he would get a ticket for his car being too loud. There are two sections that can be written though. One is correctable, the other is not. Whether or not the cop writes him the fix-it or not would fully depend on the cop. I don't think (off hand) that I've ever written a car for loud exhaust. I've written Harley's, but that's only because I think they soud dumb

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 AM   #174
E55

My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
Quote:
Most likely, he would get a ticket for his car being too loud. There are two sections that can be written though. One is correctable, the other is not. Whether or not the cop writes him the fix-it or not would fully depend on the cop. I don't think (off hand) that I've ever written a car for loud exhaust. I've written Harley's, but that's only because I think they soud dumb
I thought if a Harley had the original stock exhaust then it was OK. I mean stock Harleys are LOUD. Definately over the legal db limit it sounds like, but what can they do?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #175
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
I apologize for the actions/words of the second Officer. But, in his defense, it does kind of suck to pull someone over for a mechanical violation and they've already got a ticket. All that work, and nothing to show for it. Although, you have to see the humor in calling your car a POS, right?

As for quotas and what not. They legally cannot exsist, and they don't exsist in the real world. It's simply a matter of going out and earning your paycheck. It may seem that there are more tickets written at the end of the month, but it simply isn't true. The most tickets that I've ever written in one day was 18 (14 speeding, 3 registration, 1 tint [which was funny in and of itself]). It was a Sunday morning in the middle of February. I think I wrote like 12 or 14 on the Saturday before, too
Good thing they dont have a commission based pay (based on the # of tickets you guys write) for you guys....
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #176
Rob_ZHP

My Ride: LSB E92 M3
Quote:

Yea I guess I saw the humor in it but I for a second I was like WTF did he just say?? Caught me totally by surprize LOL. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #177
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
This is a great thread frobie15. I live near that tonner canyon in DB and it can get really crazy. I know you are very informative and everything but I still hate LA cops. Nothing against you, I'm just stressing my honest opinion. Most of them are arrogant pricks that have some Sh!t stuck up their a$$es. Never liked the popo's and I never will, just had too many BS experiences with them in the past.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #178
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55
I thought if a Harley had the original stock exhaust then it was OK. I mean stock Harleys are LOUD. Definately over the legal db limit it sounds like, but what can they do?
Unfortunately for them, I'm enough of a gearhead to be able to recognize the difference between stock and aftermarket on those. And, since NO aftermarket exhaust is street legal in California, it's just easy
Old 03-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #179
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Good thing they dont have a commission based pay (based on the # of tickets you guys write) for you guys....
If only, if only............

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #180
Mike Benvo
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Dinan E60 ///M5
Send a message via AIM to Mike Benvo
Frobie, before i begin, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to create such a thread and for responding with reasonable, honest answers.

I'd like to ask you about a particular situation that happened last month. I was travelling on a surface street heading south and a CHP officer was heading north. He turned around and pulled me over and said I was speeding. I told him that I was driving a safe and reasonable speed (which I was).

He wrote on the ticket 60, then crossed it out and wrote 55+. He never radared me, or was even able to pace me because he was traveling in the opposite direction. I explained to the officer that the car is louder because of the aftermarket exhaust which makes it seem like I am accelerating at a higher rate of speed. I feel that the officer can not accurately judge my speed when travelling in opposite directions because the combined speed of the two cars leaves too much room for proper speculation.

Now, I was driving a little bit faster than everyone else, but I wouldn't say I was going 55+. Subsequently in the mail I received a letter from the court to correct the PF number on the ticket from 35 (what he wrote down) to 40.

What are you thoughts on this one? I don't feel like it's fair that I retain this ticket given the circumstances. Your input is much apprecaited!

(Also, watch out for the licence plate M BENVO comming your way!). Stay safe out there, there are plenty of people willing to run down legitimate officers such as yourself .
Mike Benvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa