E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #1841
bassik40

My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to bassik40
Best CHP off duty car ive seen. Also whats funny is i dont really like that color but the smoke makes it look "just right."
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #1842
donb

Send a message via AIM to donb Send a message via Yahoo to donb
I just got a ticket for running a RED LIGHT

I just got a ticket while I was in Mission Hills (on Alicia Pkwy) for running a red light. I was wondering if I should challenge it or not. I was following this truck, going with the flow of traffic, and looked up and saw the light was yellow. The truck went through it. I had a decision to either slam on my brakes and end up in the intersection (I have done that before) or continue on through. Well I chose to continue through of course and caught the red. I then saw out of my peripheral that a cop was first in line in the left turn lane (I was in lane three, he was in lane 1). I knew I was toast as soon as I saw his lights turn on.

I pulled over around the corner and he asked me if I was in a hurry. I said no. He said did I know what he pulled me over for. I said yea, I caught that red light. He said what about the other red light. I looked stymied. I did run a yellow light while I saw him already pursuing me. Maybe it was red when he passed it but I saw it clear yellow. And no way in the world am I going to run a red with a cop behind me.

I thought he was gonna write me up for running two reds, but he only did one. Then since I could not locate my proof of insurance, he wrote me up for that too. But he said when I find it, I can just show it to the courts and they will write it off. He told me I would have to appear in court. He then told me to buckle up and have a nice day.

So the violation was CVL 21453(A) RED LIGHT. City of Mission Viejo. I so want to challenge the ticket but need advise. My brother has beaten a couple of red light tickets himself. On one of them, he told the judge that he could not see the light because the sun was in his eyes. The judge agreed and let him out of it. hehe.
donb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #1843
knight11

My Ride: Jet Black 135i
Send a message via AIM to knight11 Send a message via Skype™ to knight11
Hey, i got a ticket last night, in La Jolla california for doing 66 in a 35. i dont really think i was going that fast, but i'm not going to argue with an officer. So i dont really know what to do, what do you think the fine will be on a ticket like that? Is it worth going to court and fighting it? Calling Mr. TIcket? The pfficer didnt show mw his radar gun, or anything to prove that he clocked me going 66. Does that matter at all?

Thanx alot!

Guy
knight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #1844
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb View Post
I just got a ticket while I was in Mission Hills (on Alicia Pkwy) for running a red light. I was wondering if I should challenge it or not. I was following this truck, going with the flow of traffic, and looked up and saw the light was yellow. The truck went through it. I had a decision to either slam on my brakes and end up in the intersection (I have done that before) or continue on through. Well I chose to continue through of course and caught the red. I then saw out of my peripheral that a cop was first in line in the left turn lane (I was in lane three, he was in lane 1). I knew I was toast as soon as I saw his lights turn on.

So the violation was CVL 21453(A) RED LIGHT. City of Mission Viejo. I so want to challenge the ticket but need advise. My brother has beaten a couple of red light tickets himself. On one of them, he told the judge that he could not see the light because the sun was in his eyes. The judge agreed and let him out of it. hehe.
The problem with your defense being, "I was following a truck and couldn't see." Is this. If you were too close to see the red light, then you were following too closely. Which is a violation of 21703vc. If you know full well that you ran the red light, then why would you fight it? I know that you don't want to pay the ticket or get points, but you know that you did it. I really don't know what to tell you to help you get out of it, sorry.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #1845
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight11 View Post
Hey, i got a ticket last night, in La Jolla california for doing 66 in a 35. i dont really think i was going that fast, but i'm not going to argue with an officer. So i dont really know what to do, what do you think the fine will be on a ticket like that? Is it worth going to court and fighting it? Calling Mr. TIcket? The pfficer didnt show mw his radar gun, or anything to prove that he clocked me going 66. Does that matter at all?

Thanx alot!

Guy
Question -- Why would you ask me this question in a PM and then in this thread? Thanks for wasting my time replying there and now here

The officer isn't required to show you his radar gun. It's an urban myth. I personally wouldn't waste my money on an attorney unless you're facing a serious traffic offense or misdemeanor. I know that you don't think that you were going that fast, but there's no reason for the officer to make up your speed. You can fight it, but the officer testifies all the time and will probably win. I don't know the exact amount, maybe $200? Good luck!

Thank you Sam
Old 07-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #1846
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassik40 View Post
Best CHP off duty car ive seen. Also whats funny is i dont really like that color but the smoke makes it look "just right."
Thank you! I'm still deciding if I want to do MTech front and rear bumpers and M3 mirrors...

Thank you Sam
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #1847
bassik40

Send a message via AIM to bassik40
yea i put that to the back of my mind as well, untill the time is right. m3 vs mtech, m3 mirrors vs ACS style. This site be damned because without it, i would probably be blissfully happy driving a plain ol run of the mill bimmer. well.... pffffffff to that now
Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #1848
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey, i was driving home one night, not under the influence of marijuana and my friends were and acted stupid. got pulled over for "suspicious activity" and he smelled weed and searched the car. he let us go so i thought it wasnt a big deal. it was just .5 grams.
i get a letter in the mail HS M 11357B POSS MARIJUANA
and i have to go to court. ive had no priors not even a record or traffic stop. what would most likely happen when i go to court? thanks alot.

*citation UC106285/C
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #1849
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassik40 View Post
yea i put that to the back of my mind as well, untill the time is right. m3 vs mtech, m3 mirrors vs ACS style. This site be damned because without it, i would probably be blissfully happy driving a plain ol run of the mill bimmer. well.... pffffffff to that now
Well, most of the exterior mods on my car were done before I ever found this site. But the stuff like changing bumpers and mirrors never crossed my mind until I found this place.

Thank you Sam
Old 07-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #1850
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
hey, i was driving home one night, not under the influence of marijuana and my friends were and acted stupid. got pulled over for "suspicious activity" and he smelled weed and searched the car. he let us go so i thought it wasnt a big deal. it was just .5 grams.
i get a letter in the mail HS M 11357B POSS MARIJUANA
and i have to go to court. ive had no priors not even a record or traffic stop. what would most likely happen when i go to court? thanks alot.

*citation UC106285/C
You should be able to plea the charge down so that you don't do any jail time. You might have to do community service, or pay a pretty hefty fine. But in all actuality, I have no idea. Call the court, they can tell you a lot more about it than I can. Maybe there's other people who've been hit with something similar before and can help?

Thank you Sam
Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #1851
bimmerboi43

theres actually a chance of jail time....? is it really that serious?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #1852
frobie15

Quote:
theres actually a chance of jail time....? is it really that serious?
It's a misdemeanor. Which means that if the judge gets a wild hair, you could end up with a weekend in jail. But since you say you have a clean record, you probably won't have to worry about it.

Thank you Sam
Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #1853
bimmerboi43

the cop that wrote us up said it could of been a misdemeanor or just a infraction? he said since we didnt seem like trouble makers or pricks that he would just write us up for an infraction and nothing to worry about. i get the letter saying i have to go to court and get resolved leads me to think otherwise.
thanks for taking the time to answer my questions frobie. tripping out..
~Brian
Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #1854
frobie15

Quote:
the cop that wrote us up said it could of been a misdemeanor or just a infraction? he said since we didnt seem like trouble makers or pricks that he would just write us up for an infraction and nothing to worry about. i get the letter saying i have to go to court and get resolved leads me to think otherwise.
thanks for taking the time to answer my questions frobie. tripping out..
~Brian
It shouldn't be too big of a deal, but straighten-up or you'll start the slide. You most likely will end up with a "record", which means that if something happens again, you can't use that as leverage to lessen a fine/penalty in the future.

Thank you Sam
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #1855
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE

My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
i dont know if this has been asked already, but me and my friends have always argued about the solid white line on the inner side of the carpool yellow stripe, does that mean that you can exit the carpool lane, even if the lane is not open? or i guess the general question is, can i exit the carpool lane if i see that my exit is coming up w/o it being illegal? or is crossing over the solid yellow lines always illegal? thanks!

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #1856
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiRaceTechnik View Post
i dont know if this has been asked already, but me and my friends have always argued about the solid white line on the inner side of the carpool yellow stripe, does that mean that you can exit the carpool lane, even if the lane is not open? or i guess the general question is, can i exit the carpool lane if i see that my exit is coming up w/o it being illegal? or is crossing over the solid yellow lines always illegal? thanks!
Think of the solid white line and double yellow line combination as a concrete wall that CalTrans couldn't afford to build. You can never cross it (unless Joel is stopping you for excessive speed and you have to get out of the lane to pull over)

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #1857
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Question -- Why would you ask me this question in a PM and then in this thread? Thanks for wasting my time replying there and now here

The officer isn't required to show you his radar gun. It's an urban myth. I personally wouldn't waste my money on an attorney unless you're facing a serious traffic offense or misdemeanor. I know that you don't think that you were going that fast, but there's no reason for the officer to make up your speed. You can fight it, but the officer testifies all the time and will probably win. I don't know the exact amount, maybe $200? Good luck!
He PM'd me too...glad I didn't waste my time with a response since he's already got you running in circles...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #1858
donb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
The problem with your defense being, "I was following a truck and couldn't see." Is this. If you were too close to see the red light, then you were following too closely. Which is a violation of 21703vc. If you know full well that you ran the red light, then why would you fight it? I know that you don't want to pay the ticket or get points, but you know that you did it. I really don't know what to tell you to help you get out of it, sorry.
It was not that. I do not follow cars close like my brother does. Not too close to not be able to see the light. I actually was not paying attention to the light until it was too late and then had a decision to make. Alicia Pkwy is kind of tricky because it has (some) lights that you do not see until you are around a bend. The light was yellow when I was at the decision making point. I had no idea how long it had been in the yellow though (due to just coming around the bend).

My brother told me a cop let him out of a clearly ran red light because he told the cop he just broken up with his long time girlfriend and had a lot of things on his mind. He said the cop let him out of it. He said I should have just told the cop I was in a hurry and apologized. I dunno.

I've attached a topographical map of the area in question. I marked the "approximate" incident location in question with white arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alicia_pkwy.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	234238  
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #1859
eriklin

My Ride: E60 5, E46 M, MBZ C
can u help me?

Here is the story. I was on my way to my working place early this morning in orange county. I was taking HW57 south toward I-5. It was a lit bit traffic. I was driving next to the carpool lane. I simply tried to pass a big truck in front of me and changed into open carpool lane. I then immediately changed back to non carpool lane after past the big truck. I got a highway patrol pulled over after 10 second. He told me that I was alone and not allowed to drive on carpool lane. However, I just use open section of carpool lane to pass the big truck in front of me. I was not intentionally to drive on carpool lane. Is there any way i can get dispute of this ticket? Please help me out. I would be very appreciate it.
eriklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #1860
donb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriklin View Post
Here is the story. I was on my way to my working place early this morning in orange county. I was taking HW57 south toward I-5. It was a lit bit traffic. I was driving next to the carpool lane. I simply tried to pass a big truck in front of me and changed into open carpool lane. I then immediately changed back to non carpool lane after past the big truck. I got a highway patrol pulled over after 10 second. He told me that I was alone and not allowed to drive on carpool lane. However, I just use open section of carpool lane to pass the big truck in front of me. I was not intentionally to drive on carpool lane. Is there any way i can get dispute of this ticket? Please help me out. I would be very appreciate it.
I think you're screwed

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa