E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #1881
gardinerca

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I can talk in a normal voice and someone can hear me 50 feet away...
gardinerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #1882
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardinerca View Post
I can talk in a normal voice and someone can hear me 50 feet away...
And??????????????????????????????

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #1883
gardinerca

I just don't see how sound can be regulated by a measurement of distance. Is this just a rule of thumb or is this how the law puts it? We normally talk at 60dB when traffic runs around 80dB. How can a police officer determine what's 50 feet?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #1884
frobie15

Sound Amplification Devices

27007. No driver of a vehicle shall operate, or permit the operation of, any sound amplification system which can be heard outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet when the vehicle is being operated upon a highway, unless that system is being operated to request assistance or warn of a hazardous situation. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles or vehicles operated by gas, electric, communications, or water utilities. This section does not apply to the sound systems of vehicles used for advertising, or in parades, political or other special events, except that use of sound systems on those vehicles may be prohibited by a local authority by ordinance or resolution.

Amended Ch. 538, Stats. 1989. Effective January 1, 1990.

And you'd be surprised at the accuracy of most officers visual estimation abilities.

Thank you Sam
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #1885
gardinerca

Is that the same law for city roads?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #1886
3onDubs

My Ride: no
So, if you're promoting a song, is that ok? (i.e. advertising)
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #1887
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
I just don't see how sound can be regulated by a measurement of distance. Is this just a rule of thumb or is this how the law puts it? We normally talk at 60dB when traffic runs around 80dB. How can a police officer determine what's 50 feet?

Law puts it at 50 feet. Honestly, estimating distance is something we do everyday for different reasons (crime scene analysis, traffic investigations, etc). Using reference points and training and experience, its easy to figure out 50ft. Worst case, you can always pace it off if you want.

The reality is that 50 ft is not far at all, and most officers won't cite for something you can't hear from at least 100 ft+ away. We aren't looking to target a guy who is just enjoying his music and has it up a little loud, you're looking for the guy that is creating a real disturbance for those around him.

This is acutally one of my favorite cites to write in my patrol area (especially on Sunset Bl with the cruisers)

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #1888
OHCM3

Quote:
Is that the same law for city roads?
The whole state....

Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #1889
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
So, if you're promoting a song, is that ok? (i.e. advertising)
This particular section we are referring to (27007) is a vehicle code section, so promoting a song from something other than a vehicle would fall under a different body of law (either Penal or Muni code). If the loud music for advertising purposes is coming from a vehicle, they are subject to citation.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #1890
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
This particular section we are referring to (27007) is a vehicle code section, so promoting a song from something other than a vehicle would fall under a different body of law (either Penal or Muni code). If the loud music for advertising purposes is coming from a vehicle, they are subject to citation.
I was referring to this..."This section does not apply to the sound systems of vehicles used for advertising"

So, if I'm sporting my e46fanatics.com sticker, would I get a ticket under a different vehicle code section?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #1891
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
I was referring to this..."This section does not apply to the sound systems of vehicles used for advertising"

So, if I'm sporting my e46fanatics.com sticker, would I get a ticket under a different vehicle code section?
I never even noticed that...I'm assuming there would need to be some sort of permit in place with the local/state government for it to be a legit exemption for that vehicle. My philosophy is to just cite, and if I was wrong, the court will dismiss it later...

Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #1892
frobie15

Quote:
I never even noticed that...I'm assuming there would need to be some sort of permit in place with the local/state government for it to be a legit exemption for that vehicle. My philosophy is to just cite, and if I was wrong, the court will dismiss it later...
Yeah, I'd think that there would have to be a permit. And, even then I'd probably issue the cite, let a judge interpret the law (I just enforce it).

Thank you Sam
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #1893
3onDubs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Yeah, I'd think that there would have to be a permit. And, even then I'd probably issue the cite, let a judge interpret the law (I just enforce it).
I see....yeah, that definitely makes sense. Otherwise, it would be impossible to enforce.

I received a citation for loud music a few years ago. The officer told me that I can play as loud as I want on the freeway (where nobody would get annoyed), but that's about it.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #1894
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
Quote:
Law puts it at 50 feet. Honestly, estimating distance is something we do everyday for different reasons (crime scene analysis, traffic investigations, etc). Using reference points and training and experience, its easy to figure out 50ft. Worst case, you can always pace it off if you want.

The reality is that 50 ft is not far at all, and most officers won't cite for something you can't hear from at least 100 ft+ away. We aren't looking to target a guy who is just enjoying his music and has it up a little loud, you're looking for the guy that is creating a real disturbance for those around him.

This is acutally one of my favorite cites to write in my patrol area (especially on Sunset Bl with the cruisers)
it's interesting to note on this topic that harleys make alot of noise too.

i have a system in my car, but i selected the components so that it's nice and loud inside the car. even if i found the most bass-heavy song and cranked it up to max, i couldn't even come close to shaking pavement like others do with thier systems. guess i could still get pulled over if the cop i pass doesn't like what he hears (sorry, but that's how it works in jersey because citizens are mules).
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #1895
Da Jemster

My Ride: is ///Mpulsive
^^ since we're on the topic of noise and Harley's...additionally I'm thankful for the exhaust on the WRX STI's because it has somehow taken away some unwanted attention from my SS Race exhaust.

I've had my exhaust now close to 6 months and I've pulled alongside numerous officers of various agencies and I don't even get a double-take from them when I start accelerating and leaving them. (Well I make sure I only ever so slightly and slowly depress my accelerator so as not to rattle my exhaust )

About 12 yrs ago, I had a Dynomaxx exhaust on my Eclipse and I was on lane #1 on the fwy cruising at about 75mph and the CHP was on lane #5 and he crossed all the way over behind me and cited me for after-market exhaust. So I installed it since then. That thing was loud.

With the exception of you Joel and OHCM3 (since you know the rasp of an M3) how would the regular officer know that I have an aftermarket exhaust - granted I don't go WOT in his/her presence?

08 E93 DCT - Stock for now...

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Da Jemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #1896
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jemster View Post
With the exception of you Joel and OHCM3 (since you know the rasp of an M3) how would the regular officer know that I have an aftermarket exhaust - granted I don't go WOT in his/her presence?
it would depend on a person's common knowledge of what these cars sound like from the factory. it doesn't take rocket science tho....aftermarket is obviously much louder. when i drive my car with the windows rolled down, it sounds loud, but if i spot another M3 and just listen, it's not very loud or obnoxiously annoying....

i think manufacturers are conscious of the output noise their products produce.
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #1897
frobie15

Quote:
All new vehicles are required to be under a certain Db level. That's how most officers tell what's aftermarket. Also anything with bigger exhaust tips is a giveaway to other things being changed. The biggest problem is that there are some officers who THINK that they know cars, but don't. A friend of mine has an Acura TL with one resonator removed. Had a CHP yelling at him for his aftermarket exhaust....

Thank you Sam
Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #1898
Da Jemster

Quote:
All new vehicles are required to be under a certain Db level. That's how most officers tell what's aftermarket.........
Generalized question = would you say all officers are acquainted with what the OEM exhaust of all WRX STI's sounds like? So they don't cite them thinking they are aftermarket?

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Old 07-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #1899
frobie15

Quote:
Generalized question = would you say all officers are acquainted with what the OEM exhaust of all WRX STI's sounds like? So they don't cite them thinking they are aftermarket?
I think a lot of officers don't know the difference and therefore choose to not enforce the section. Me? I know the difference between stock and aftermarket on most cars since I'm a car guy. But not all cops are car people and don't like modified cars, so they hammer them all the time.

Thank you Sam
Old 07-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #1900
Da Jemster

Quote:
..... But not all cops are car people and don't like modified cars, so they hammer them all the time.
So true man...specially when the STi's first came out, a lot of guys were complaining they were getting pulled over for the exhaust and had to convince the officers that big hole was OEM...hehehehe

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa