E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

View Poll Results: IRL/ChampCar merger talks ... you into it?
No. They're wasting thier time, are better seperate, etc. 2 16.67%
Yes. One series is better than two, etc. 10 83.33%
Don't care. NASCAR rulz! Yeehaw, etc. 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
vincentvega9701
has a power steerin leak :/

My Ride: '01 325i, EMD F59PHI
IRL/ChampCar merger talks ... you into it?

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=212842

so it looks like, after a decade, both series heads are seriously talking about reunification.

my gut reaction is, "great, if it happens, Indy racing will be big again"

but then i think, it wasn't really that big to begin with. plus, i forsee huge problems in the direction of how they market a combined series. because right now, the two are diametrically diff. the IRL races on american ovals and they are trying to market u.s. drivers to the nascar crowd. champ car is trying to become the AA farm league for f1, taking on more and more international road/street circuits and trying to attract f1 prospects/rejects.

my doubts aside, i hope they pull it togethor and work it out. i like stock car racing but nascars monopoly on coverage around here is making me sick. indycars were my first love

vincentvega9701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
TitanSilber ZHP

My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP
Neither series has mattered since they split and I dont think they can ever regain the lost support. If a single series is formed, at least all the US open-wheel "powers" can help advance one cause and maybe bring back some fans.

FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
rnitti

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325I
United they may stand, but divided they are falling, and falling badly. If open wheel racing is going to stay, then they must come together; otherwise, it will be all NASCAR ALL the damn time. NASCAR only runs the Busch and truck support series, so any chance of seeing Grand-Am, SPEED WC, etc along with another event like they're doing in Long Beach will go bye bye.

And my God, get rid of Gene Simmons and that God Da*n I am Indy (Mindy) theme song. Do they really think open wheel fans are as stupid as NASCAR fans. Jesus Christ, already. Bring back some intelligence and interest to US racing.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Qwietstorm

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Qwietstorm
I hope they both go under and go under too deep to ever get back. The series was awesome before the split, and this is coming from a NASCAR fan!! Its a shame how far the two series have fallen since the split. I've relegated myself to watching F1 but screw all of the arrogant pricks that are in charge of both series.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
ChampCar is supposed to be doing really well, financially. They now own Cosworth, the Long Beach and San Jose races, and are getting a new chassis for the 2007 series. IRL has Danica, that's about it. The IRL has the problem that it's trying to compete head-to-head with NASCAR (oval tracks). I think that even with the Indy500, the IRL will be done within four or five more years. Tony George doesn't seem to care about the racing, as long as he's making money. Whereas ChampCar is all about taking racing to the people, rather than making people have to come to the racing.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote