E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
kasimmmmm

My Ride: AW 135i
X5 4.4i vs. Range Rover Sport HSE vs. Base Cayenne vs. Touareg V8

Hey guys,

Its that time again...my dad is looking for a new car. He needs an SUV, so he can occasionaly store some items for his customers. Basically he likes these 4 cars, and i was wondering if anyone can give us some feedback as to which car would be the best buy. He isnt really a person who speeds alot, but he does like power...

2006 X5 4.4i --- 315hp-- All-wheel Drive
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE --- 300hp --- Permanent 4WD
Cayenne S --- 340hp ---All-wheel Drive
Tuareg v8 4.2 --- 310hp --- All-wheel Drive

Ive heard that the maint. on the Tuareg and the RR arent great. I dont know too much about x5 and basically about any of these SUV's.

My dad is looking to purchase a car by June/July, but he is willing to wait if a new generation is beig released. Does anyone know if the X5 is being redesigned for 2007? We have sat in, and drove the cayenne, and my dad really loved the sound of the car, and the power...but that the was the turbo, so anyone who has had a chance to check these cars out could really help.

Let me know,
Thanks in advance
kasimmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
x5 4.8
Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
Hey guys,

Its that time again...my dad is looking for a new car. He needs an SUV, so he can occasionaly store some items for his customers. Basically he likes these 4 cars, and i was wondering if anyone can give us some feedback as to which car would be the best buy. He isnt really a person who speeds alot, but he does like power...

2006 X5 4.4i --- 315hp-- All-wheel Drive
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE --- 300hp --- Permanent 4WD
Cayenne S --- 340hp ---All-wheel Drive
Tuareg v8 4.2 --- 310hp --- All-wheel Drive

Ive heard that the maint. on the Tuareg and the RR arent great. I dont know too much about x5 and basically about any of these SUV's.

My dad is looking to purchase a car by June/July, but he is willing to wait if a new generation is beig released. Does anyone know if the X5 is being redesigned for 2007? We have sat in, and drove the cayenne, and my dad really loved the sound of the car, and the power...but that the was the turbo, so anyone who has had a chance to check these cars out could really help.

Let me know,
Thanks in advance
we test drove a cayenne S for my mom when her ford expidition dies (soon, lol) and it was very nice, however for the price of this group and contenders, the BMW X5 4.8is is in the competition, it is faster, stops better and handles better than all of these, absolutely fully loaded it's just under $75k, the price of a nicely equipped cayenne S and close to a well equipped X5 4.4i, which definitely makes it the best car- I'd say X5 4.8is is best bet- wouldn't regret it, plus it looks cool with it's special suspension and wheels they're like 12 in wide in the back, lol, oh it get's better gas mileage than the cayenne s and VW, prob better than the rover too!!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

ooohhh- BTW I have seen the new X5 driving around, I think it's scheduled for dec 06/ jan 07 intro, but it's funky looking, nowhere near as cool looking as the current X5, has these weird bulging out circular brake lamps, I'd say stick to the current X5, plus reliability will be at the prime b/c it's toward the end of the model life, IE- no more kinks to work out!!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
RR Sport...hands down.

X5 is about to be redesigned, Toureag is a nice car but just can't compete with these cars, and the Cayenne is nice but not as nice as the RR Sport.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
KEtch

My Ride: BUS
Def get the tuareg my brother has one and has been modding it since day one...ill post pics once im finished with my car but anyway the maintenance isnt bad at all he hasnt had a problemw ith it yet.. and he loves the interior too its a great car all around. And the exhaust note is insane!!! full deep v8 sound, im telling u get the taureg its the same at the cayenne in my opinion the VW interior is nicer, cuz my brother got cinnamon leather with wood and aluminum trim. as for the X5 his friend has a 4.8 and he said my brothers car for the money is the best bet cuz the 4.4 isnt that great compared to the 4.8the range is nice but its also alot of money..we got 1 foot of snow over hear and the truck handled excellent. in the end its up to you they are all good trucks but owning the taureg and knowing someone who owns teh x5 def get the VW
KEtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

the RR sport looks nice, but we test drove one, and to be honest, the thing is downright FOMOCO (ford motor for those not familiar) CHEAP ASS ****!!! the interior materials are cheap, the seats are terribly uncomfortable, and outside is clad in armoral sucking detroit plastics, the leather is plasticy and above all, present in the $90k RR S/C, BLACK PLASTIC MIRRORS?!?! you don't go spend $60-$70k+ to get non painted exterior mirrors, I mean you can buy RAV4s with painted mirrors, and they're standard on a toyota highlander, for christ's sake, plastic mirrors?!?! the car looks good but it's cheap and full of profit, BTW the ride and handling sucked compared to the Porsche Cayenne S, and we haven't driven a 4.8is yet but it's supposed to be even better than the Cayenne S.

Don't think I'm hating on the RR sport, it's a nice truck, and I loved it at first, but it's just not in the same league as these Euro Autobahn PowerCruisers, or w/e you want to call them, if however you want to do some semi-serious to serious off-roading and/or rock climbimg, the Land Rover will crawl circles around the Euro Autobahn PowerCruisers.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
der Fahrer

My Ride: M
Buy a used V10 Turbo Diesel Touareg...oh the torque.

Gas mileage is in the 20's and you can run laps around almost any SUV on the road today (admittedly not at 20 mpg though).
der Fahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m54325ci
the RR sport looks nice, but we test drove one, and to be honest, the thing is downright FOMOCO (ford motor for those not familiar) CHEAP ASS ****!!! the interior materials are cheap, the seats are terribly uncomfortable, and outside is clad in armoral sucking detroit plastics, the leather is plasticy and above all, present in the $90k RR S/C, BLACK PLASTIC MIRRORS?!?! you don't go spend $60-$70k+ to get non painted exterior mirrors, I mean you can buy RAV4s with painted mirrors, and they're standard on a toyota highlander, for christ's sake, plastic mirrors?!?! the car looks good but it's cheap and full of profit, BTW the ride and handling sucked compared to the Porsche Cayenne S, and we haven't driven a 4.8is yet but it's supposed to be even better than the Cayenne S.

Don't think I'm hating on the RR sport, it's a nice truck, and I loved it at first, but it's just not in the same league as these Euro Autobahn PowerCruisers, or w/e you want to call them, if however you want to do some semi-serious to serious off-roading and/or rock climbimg, the Land Rover will crawl circles around the Euro Autobahn PowerCruisers.
Interesting, I was beyond impressed with it at the auto show but maybe I need to take one for a drive.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
Having driven all of the above cars recently on test drives, here's what i think

Touareg - Good value, solid interior and exterior styling cues, but if you're considering higher end vehicles, this is a little out of place IMO. It depends on how crucial the name brand is to your decision.

Porsche - Pricey, and to be honest, built on the same platform as the Touareg. I've heard of some maintenence issues and the fact that you can get a fully loaded Touareg for less than a base Cayenne S (I'm assuming we're talking all V8 models here). Unless brand really matters to you, I wouldn't pay for the overpriced/re-badged VW, I'd just go with the original VW Touareg.

X5 - X5 4.4i is a solid vehicle. IMO it handles like a 330 sedan and the V8 power is really robust and can get you where you need to be without you doubting it's capability. The interior is up to par with the rest of BMW standards, even though it is assembled in North America. With options, it too can get pricey, but still not as pricey as the Cayenne S. I'd pick this over the Cayenne S, even though it's due for a redesign. It's a solid buy, and with BMW's full Maintenence program, you won't even have to pay for brake pads while you're under warranty. Something you won't get with other companies.

Range Rover Sport - I haven't had as much experience with these as the others, but IMO I wouldn't buy this car unless it was the supercharged version. The Sport exterior styling cues will set you apart from the already existing plethora of 4.6HSE Rovers already out there, but it's still got a bit of a bulky feel to it and doesn't handle itself as well on the road as the others. The Cayenne S and X5 both have a more 'sporty' feel to them, even though this is supposed to be the Range Rover Sport. I've heard of a few quality issues with this car, although it hasn't been out long enough to get any long-term reports.

I would urge you to consider the new Mercedes ML. Mercedes has really stepped it's game up with the new ML and the quality feels much higher than the original. The redesign did the M-Class justice, and the ML500 is quick. The styling redesign was needed and has been well accepted by many.

You really need to test drive all these cars and work out the pricing based on your budget. If It were me, I'd focus my sights on the ML500. If you're worried that the X5 redesign, than the ML is for you because it was JUST redesigned last year! If you get the optional AMG Package on the ML, you'll be one of a kind because it's more rare on the new ML since the base ML350 pricing is so reasonable, it's more common. The ML500 AMG Sport would be rare, and fun. The Cayenne is overpriced IMO. My conclusion: Go with what you know; BMW won't let you down, but since you need a car now and the new X5 isn't out (if you're worried about redesign), the M-Class may fill that void.

the one on the right is the ML AMG Sport Package

the optional aero kit for the X5. Those are 4.8 wheels, but the wheels offered on the 4.4 are good too.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
mixtapeguru

My Ride: BMW M3
Cayenne Turbo S....tell Your Pops To Save His Money Till Mid 2007 Over 500 Hp
BBS LM 19x8.5 and 19x10 1 ToyoT1-R tires in 245/35/19 and 275/30/19
KW Variant 3 / UUC Sway bar/ RE RSM/RE RTAB/RE Control Arms /TMS Camber Plate

08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Java black /HST Grill/22" HRE/Custom Painted Java Black Grills
mixtapeguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtapeguru
Cayenne Turbo S....tell Your Pops To Save His Money Till Mid 2007 Over 500 Hp

cayenne turbo S is available now, I've talked to two people whose friends own and love them, pull out an equity line on the home for this one, lol
Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 AM   #13
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
Range FTW!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
you could just say screw it all and get an M5 instead. haha.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
Sups328i

My Ride: 2000 328ci
X5 with Mclaren engine.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
sammjordan

My Ride: Is Carolina Ardohain
Send a message via AIM to sammjordan
go with the x5 or the RR sport.

The Touareg, while being a nice vehicle, is simply outclassed against the other suv's. the cayenne is a glorified touareg with uglier styling.

The x5 is a proven vehicle, since it's been out awhile most of the kinks have been worked out, plus you can get the 4.8is for the price of the cayenne s.

The RR sport is a very nice truck, but it's new and I wouldn't be too sure about the reliability (though a friend of mine just got one to replace an ml320 and he loves it). The X5 handles and rides better, and it's faster, so I would have to say X5 ftw
Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
kasimmmmm

My Ride: AW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi
Having driven all of the above cars recently on test drives, here's what i think

Touareg - Good value, solid interior and exterior styling cues, but if you're considering higher end vehicles, this is a little out of place IMO. It depends on how crucial the name brand is to your decision.

Porsche - Pricey, and to be honest, built on the same platform as the Touareg. I've heard of some maintenence issues and the fact that you can get a fully loaded Touareg for less than a base Cayenne S (I'm assuming we're talking all V8 models here). Unless brand really matters to you, I wouldn't pay for the overpriced/re-badged VW, I'd just go with the original VW Touareg.

X5 - X5 4.4i is a solid vehicle. IMO it handles like a 330 sedan and the V8 power is really robust and can get you where you need to be without you doubting it's capability. The interior is up to par with the rest of BMW standards, even though it is assembled in North America. With options, it too can get pricey, but still not as pricey as the Cayenne S. I'd pick this over the Cayenne S, even though it's due for a redesign. It's a solid buy, and with BMW's full Maintenence program, you won't even have to pay for brake pads while you're under warranty. Something you won't get with other companies.

Range Rover Sport - I haven't had as much experience with these as the others, but IMO I wouldn't buy this car unless it was the supercharged version. The Sport exterior styling cues will set you apart from the already existing plethora of 4.6HSE Rovers already out there, but it's still got a bit of a bulky feel to it and doesn't handle itself as well on the road as the others. The Cayenne S and X5 both have a more 'sporty' feel to them, even though this is supposed to be the Range Rover Sport. I've heard of a few quality issues with this car, although it hasn't been out long enough to get any long-term reports.

I would urge you to consider the new Mercedes ML. Mercedes has really stepped it's game up with the new ML and the quality feels much higher than the original. The redesign did the M-Class justice, and the ML500 is quick. The styling redesign was needed and has been well accepted by many.

You really need to test drive all these cars and work out the pricing based on your budget. If It were me, I'd focus my sights on the ML500. If you're worried that the X5 redesign, than the ML is for you because it was JUST redesigned last year! If you get the optional AMG Package on the ML, you'll be one of a kind because it's more rare on the new ML since the base ML350 pricing is so reasonable, it's more common. The ML500 AMG Sport would be rare, and fun. The Cayenne is overpriced IMO. My conclusion: Go with what you know; BMW won't let you down, but since you need a car now and the new X5 isn't out (if you're worried about redesign), the M-Class may fill that void.

the optional aero kit for the X5. Those are 4.8 wheels, but the wheels offered on the 4.4 are good too.

Hey man thanks alot, i got some good info from your post, and its great that you've had some first hand experience in these cars. I just checked out the ML500, and it looks like i should suggest it to my dad. He is looking for a car around 80K CAD so this car looks about right. The interior looks nice too. I was really edging mysself to the RR or X5 for their looks but i TOTALLY forgot about teh ML

Thanks again for the opinons and comments guys!
kasimmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Ci Baller

My Ride: Topaz Coupe 325
Send a message via AIM to Ci Baller
Fully Agree!

Ver well put-together... Kasimmm you should for sure include the ML500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi

Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #19
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
I agree with either the ML or the X5 with the Pcar right behind

DO NOT GET THE TOUREG. I cant stress that enough. It looks and runs great but it is a quality nightmare.

I have never seen so many cars lemoned in my whole life. There are nightmare stories about the auto suspension leaving the thing stranded.

Cars just not starting for no reason, batteries running down prematurely.

That is just scratching the surface, its such a shame because the Treg was a very nice execution in style and functionality but like most VWs these days falls very short in quality.

Check out VWVortex there are alot of complaints about it.

Anyway I havent driven the new ML but I have heard its fantastic, I have drive the X4 4.4 (not 4.8 but its just that much better) and the Porsche, its really a matter of taste between the 2, I am curious though why the Porsche doesnt suffer from the same quality issues that the VW does.

I really like the RR alot actually but I did feel the Ford influence in it as others had.

I say X5 4.8 if you dont mind the style change next year. Its still gourgeous and a fantastic ride.

If you dont want to wait check out the new ML its muchhhhhhh better then the old one.

After that the Porsche (or maybe a tie with the ML on that one)

I am a bit bias on the X5 to this day I still think its the best looking SAV/SUV ever built.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #20
rmani

My Ride: 2003 X5 4.6is
Send a message via AIM to rmani
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
RR Sport...hands down.

X5 is about to be redesigned, Toureag is a nice car but just can't compete with these cars, and the Cayenne is nice but not as nice as the RR Sport.

Couldn't agree more. RR sports are beautiful.

2003 X5 4.6is (Sold)
1998 740IL (Sold)
1995 M3 (Sold)
rmani is offline   Reply With Quote