E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
acompgeek

My Ride: 2002 330ci
In dash carputer wiring harness

I just fininished testing the wiring harness i made for my in dash computer so i thought i would show you guys because i have not seen anyone make one like this before.

My goal for my carputer was to use the stock HK sound system (i'm not much of an audiofile) and to fit the entire computer in the dash behind the lcd (yes i have managed to make it fit)

Next i am going to make an aluminum face plate.

If you guys are interested in how i am doing this let me know and i"ll post in more detail.

here are links to the products i am connecting to:
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=49
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=95
http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...I=350/_cid=286
acompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
That looks great. How are you going to fit a PC back there? Even the mac mini clones out there (like the Aopen miniPC) seem too big to fit. Also, is there enough airflow for cooling the CPU? Post pics as you proceed. I'd love to see them.
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
3onDubs

My Ride: no
I have seen many installs with the whole computer attached to the screen behind the dash...it is basically a double din carputer case where the front is a 7 inch touch screen that sits in a bezel like Rich's. You would have to do vent modifications for this, but i would imagine it not to be much different from any other double din install.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
er1c

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to er1c
Sorry for my ignorance--- so, what you did was splice the respective connectors to the wiring harness? Any more info? Thanks.
er1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
acompgeek

No vent modifications, i'm using one of these:
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=113

Its mounted upside down to the top of the plastic carrier for the oem headunit i have a video card that hangs down behind the screen, the power supply fits in under the mother board (barely) and the HD goes on top of the motherboard under the vents. Since the motherboard and video card don't draw alot of power they dont get verry hot and neither does the power supply.

I'll post some pics tonight when i get home from work.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
midgetg0at

My Ride: BMW 323i Sport Wagon
Send a message via AIM to midgetg0at
I'm extremely interested in this. Last thing I care to do is rip out seats and carpet to run wires to the trunk - please post )
midgetg0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
acompgeek

since people are interested I'll post a written explanation now, and when i get home i'll take some more pictures and make a diagram with all the pin numbers.

First the audio, i split the audio wires from the harness into 3 groups: right+, left+, and all the - and connected it to a standard 1/8" stereo plug. I was told i would need a SEVEN4 device to do this but it was not necessary, I just plugged it in connected the wire to make the amp turn on and it worked perfect.

For the power i matched the ground, constant 12v, and switched 12v to the harness that came with the Opus power supply. The power supply also has its own switched 12v lead that turns on when the computer is on, I attached this lead to the power for the screen and to the wire from the harness that turns on the stock amp. (I think its labeled the antenna wire, ill check when I get home)

For the ibus I used one of those cdrom audio cables and just moved the white pin, it fits directly onto the ibus to serial interface I got. I also moved the dimmer pin in the harness to where the ibus pin should be (the harness comes with the ibus pin empty)
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
acompgeek

Actualy i guess there is not alot i need to add, just that the ibus is pin seven and the wire from the harness to turn on the amp is labled "power antena" and is pin 16.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Stevo759

My Ride: M5
Send a message via AIM to Stevo759
without the sven and the way you have the audio hooked up wou will not have the correct Left front Left Rear Right Front and Right rear surround sound. You will be getting the same sound from every speaker the way you are doing it. I used the stock HK system when I did mine but I used the sven....with my new USB sound card i now have Dolby 5.1 surround sound....you should redo the audio wireing to make it better..the rest looks great! Still dont get how you are going to fit the computer back there but kudos!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
acompgeek

Well it's stereo the way i have it. The front and rear speakers on each side are the same but the left and right are different channels, and my sound card is stereo so thats all i need.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
acompgeek

Here are some pics of how i am mounting the computer, i realize it's kind of ghetto but it works. Also i still need to make a tray on the top to put the HD. After the computer is in the dash the HD will slide in on top of it through the hole for the air vents.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Looks Good! If I decide to go back to a CarPC this is definately the way I will have it set up. Less routing of wires and easier removal is definately a plus.

I'm assuming you will be using a FM transmitter thru the Carputer

Anyways best of Luck and definately post more pictures

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #13
acompgeek

I got it all in, now i just need to finish the faceplate.

I added a usb port in the trim for my thumb drive.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #14
flagman5

My Ride: 2002 325ci
what about gps attenna

"Girl you get me aroused how you look in my eye
But you talk too much, man you're ruinin my high"
flagman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:58 AM   #15
acompgeek

I have not really decided how i want to do the gps yet, i dont really need it verry often and i have one of these i can plug in if i do need it.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=137
Old 04-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #16
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
Looks great. I still can't believe that you fit a full CPU in the dash.
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
flagman5

My Ride: 2002 325ci
this looks really promising...

i would stuff the gpa antenna inside if u still got room, rather than dangle it as u need it and plug into ur custom usb port....well i always assume that the GPS is a pretty important part of a carputer, but if u dont want it then i guess not

another question, so then how are u going about the radio? are u going to have a radio or just mp3

please post pics as u put the Xenarc in and all

thanks!

"Girl you get me aroused how you look in my eye
But you talk too much, man you're ruinin my high"

Last edited by flagman5; 04-06-2006 at 01:04 PM.
flagman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #18
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
nice man i got an idea for you.... mount the stock cdplayer in the glove compartment and get that interface taht is supposed to make the stock deck control the pc.... then u retain steering wheel controls to use volume only.... what are the components... PM me more info i might pick this back up again haha

oh yea and where are you powering from....the battery in the back or the jump connectors up front in the engine bay? pm me man i want more details and i doubt ill find this thread again haha
Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #19
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
very nice!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
davemehta

My Ride: E46 M3
Really nice project man!

I am building a carputer too in my e46 M3. I did one in my old Prelude and it was great, replaced the factory deck with it... one issue though -- computers ALWAYS have problems and it wasn't long until I got sick of fixing it after it ran great for a few months then encountered some glitch... so I would wind up driving around with no tunes!

So this time I am building it into my H/K system... see this post to where I am mounting my LCD (it really is gonna work out nice I think). Here's the link: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354192

QUESTION... What are the wires you tapped into at the back of the radio for constant +12V power? I need to do this to power my xenarc screen. Is there another place I can grab +12V constant easier than taking the radio out?