E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
mike_e46

My Ride: SXE10
Send a message via AIM to mike_e46
...speeding ticket

well it has been a while since i got my first speeding ticket.

for ppl in socal. i was caught speeding on hawthorne in palos verdes next to pvphs.

so it was 4o'clock on sunday morning and me and my friend went out for a late night munch. we go to carl's jr next to best buy. after eating we go to the mcdonald's on pch like a minute away from carl's so i can show my friend where some person crashed into me while i was driving my girlfriend's car. after that we head back home. we go up hawthorne. and we meet some traffic. until about pv drive north where it cleared up. he started speeding off and i made the dumb decision to follow. we made a right turn on silver spur and a left right in front of the school and on the second turn we make a left turn and then he stops. i had no clue why he stopped. while i was thinkin about wat was happening there was a cop car that flashed his lights. my friend kevin turned off his lights and bones out. and the cop chases after him. so i thought i was off free so i decide to go home. he then comes up behind me and i pull over. he then tells me to turn off the car and asks me why i was doing wat i was doing and if we were playing a joke. he tells me to get out of the car and get my license out. he tells me to put my hands on the hood of the car. i stood there for like 10 min. he comes out and says call your mom. so i did and told me to tell her to meet me at the high school. on the way up there he told me that my car is going to get towed and sold at an auction for street racing. so i waited in the back of the car and waited for her to come. he told my mom that i was going to jail unless my friend didn't show up. so he was like you better call him cuz jail isn't fun. so both my mom and kevin show up. while i was waiting i asked him where he was hiding. according to the cop. he claimed to have been at the intersection of hawthorne and pv drive north. but that is sketchy because there was traffic. and he also said that he maxed out his car tryin to catch up to us. so once everyone was there both me and kevin got speeding tickets for going "89+" in a 45. i was able to get my car back. and it was a long drive back.

so i am going to court on this coming monday.

what is the possibility i get traffic school?
am i going to get my license suspeneded?

yes i know i am stupid. please don't flame me. but let me know what you think

thanks

mike

Last edited by mike_e46; 03-29-2006 at 09:42 PM.
mike_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
ironicdesigns
Account Under Review

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via ICQ to ironicdesigns Send a message via AIM to ironicdesigns Send a message via MSN to ironicdesigns Send a message via Yahoo to ironicdesigns
wow your friend ran from the cops?
ironicdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
isnt going double the speed limit a felony? I may be wrong. Well damn man that sucks. I wouldnt worry too much, just make sure to get yourself a good lawyer. best of luck. I doubt you will lose your car.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
mike_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy
isnt going double the speed limit a felony? I may be wrong. Well damn man that sucks. I wouldnt worry too much, just make sure to get yourself a good lawyer. best of luck. I doubt you will lose your car.
yeah i think thats right. but i got 89+ not 90. if he puts that. does that mean he didn't have a gun on me so he knew my speed. or is he allowed to estimate. and i am not gonna lose my car, but i am more worried about my license...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
mike_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicdesigns
wow your friend ran from the cops?
yeah i know. he got away. but he came back.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
wow.. that is retarded..
that is some lame **** coming from the cops..
did he catch you guys racing?
that is a load of crap.
sorry about your troubles.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Alright, I'm not going to flame you, even though I should

Two things are going to happen:

1) You're not going to be able to go to traffic school
2) You're license is GOING to get suspended (most likely)

Let me ask you this (since it isn't shown in your profile). How old are you? Also, how long have you had your license? What was the section that he wrote you for, code and description?

Don't worry, the only way that you can get a felony charge in something like this is if you would have run from the cops and in the process caused danger to life or property. Oh yeah, your a putz for not sucking it up for your friend!

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
wow.. that is retarded..
that is some lame **** coming from the cops..
did he catch you guys racing?
that is a load of crap.
sorry about your troubles.
No it's not. If this guy is going 89+ mph on surface streets then there is nothing wrong with what happened here. Don't try to turn this against the cop

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_e46
yeah i think thats right. but i got 89+ not 90. if he puts that. does that mean he didn't have a gun on me so he knew my speed. or is he allowed to estimate. and i am not gonna lose my car, but i am more worried about my license...
He put 89+ to try and be nice to you. But I warn you, along with the suspended license, you're staring down the barrel of a $500 (give or take) ticket

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
mike_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
Alright, I'm not going to flame you, even though I should

Two things are going to happen:

1) You're not going to be able to go to traffic school
2) You're license is GOING to get suspended (most likely)

Let me ask you this (since it isn't shown in your profile). How old are you? Also, how long have you had your license? What was the section that he wrote you for, code and description?

Don't worry, the only way that you can get a felony charge in something like this is if you would have run from the cops and in the process caused danger to life or property. Oh yeah, your a putz for not sucking it up for your friend!

I'm 17 and i have had my license for little under 2 years.
on the ticket it says (1)22350 CVC and the description is "SPEED"
well my friend could have been off a lot worse. the cop said that he was gonna be at school the next day to arrest him and send him to jail too and have his car sold at an auction. so it was best that he came back because it would have been a lot worse

and another lil thing he didnt' right down my birthdate correctly is there anyway i can fight that? or it really doesn't matter?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
frobie15

Quote:
I'm 17 and i have had my license for little under 2 years.
on the ticket it says (1)22350 CVC and the description is "SPEED"
Here's the deal. You're a juvenile with a provisional license, which is why he made you call your mom. Under 18 you can't drive between the hours of 11pm and 5am. He wanted to make sure that your mom knew where you were, and what you were doing. If the only section he wrote you for was 22350VC, then it's JUST a speeding ticket. However, with a provisional license, you are almost guaranteed to get a suspension out of this (as you should for that speed)

Quote:
well my friend could have been off a lot worse. the cop said that he was gonna be at school the next day to arrest him and send him to jail too and have his car sold at an auction. so it was best that he came back because it would have been a lot worse
He didn't have your friends license plate number. And what your friend did was speed (which is an infraction). Infractions can't be enforced after a "reasonable amount of time". Which means that he CANNOT go to your school to arrest your friend and impound his car. Even if he did get your friends plate, the best he could've done is go to his house that night, but even then, it would be hard to do. As far as him telling you to call your friend and have him come back to the scene. There was nothing forcing you to do it. Shame on you...

Quote:
and another lil thing he didnt' right down my birthdate correctly is there anyway i can fight that? or it really doesn't matter?
Nope. That's minor in the grand scheme of things. You need to go to court and get your lumps. The judge could (and most likely will) throw the book, bench, gavel, and maybe even his robe at you for this.

Thank you for not making this a "stupid cop gave me a ticket" thread. By admitting your fault, it shows that you're far more mature than alot of people here.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
mike_e46

Quote:
He didn't have your friends license plate number. And what your friend did was speed (which is an infraction). Infractions can't be enforced after a "reasonable amount of time". Which means that he CANNOT go to your school to arrest your friend and impound his car. Even if he did get your friends plate, the best he could've done is go to his house that night, but even then, it would be hard to do. As far as him telling you to call your friend and have him come back to the scene. There was nothing forcing you to do it. Shame on you...
well i forgot to mention. that my friend is notable on the hill. he already knew his name and where he lives. he also had his license plate.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #13
frobie15

Quote:
well i forgot to mention. that my friend is notable on the hill. he already knew his name and where he lives. he also had his license plate.
Then your friend's an idiot for running in the first place...

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #14
mike_e46

Quote:
Then your friend's an idiot for running in the first place...
i quite agree.

thanks a lot for the feedback. it is very much appreciated. damn i am gonna miss driving...
how long do you say?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
frobie15

Quote:
thanks a lot for the feedback. it is very much appreciated. damn i am gonna miss driving...
how long do you say?
My guess would be AT LEAST until you're 18. Maybe longer. It's up to the judge and the DMV.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #16
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Quote:
No it's not. If this guy is going 89+ mph on surface streets then there is nothing wrong with what happened here. Don't try to turn this against the cop

what I mean is, that the cop threatened him like that.
Whats the deal with that? I cant believe they would try to pull **** like that.
Like when jon got pulled over and made him rip off his tints.
makes no sense to me.
The cop obviously knows he didnt know that he could refuse to call his friend, and not get his car impounded. I dont get it... that sounds like some shitty cop trick to me.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
what I mean is, that the cop threatened him like that.
Whats the deal with that? I cant believe they would try to pull **** like that.
Like when jon got pulled over and made him rip off his tints.
That was either rip off the tint, or get a ticket. He didn't hold a gun to Jon's head and tell him to take it off or else...

Quote:
The cop obviously knows he didnt know that he could refuse to call his friend, and not get his car impounded. I dont get it... that sounds like some shitty cop trick to me.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's no excuse for not knowing the law; or your rights.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
yeah he prolly put it at 89 because of that. I think you should be fine, like i said, just get a good lawyer.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy
I think you should be fine, like i said, just get a good lawyer.
Getting a lawyer in this situation will be nothing more than a gigantic waste of money. A provisional Driver's License can be revoked just for driving during 11pm and 5am. Let alone doing 89+ on surface streets. Even if the judge questions the Officer's visual estimation, and thinks that Mike here was going 20mph slower than that. That still puts him at over 69mph!! Either way, his license will go bye-bye.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
mike_e46

Quote:
Getting a lawyer in this situation will be nothing more than a gigantic waste of money. A provisional Driver's License can be revoked just for driving during 11pm and 5am. Let alone doing 89+ on surface streets. Even if the judge questions the Officer's visual estimation, and thinks that Mike here was going 20mph slower than that. That still puts him at over 69mph!! Either way, his license will go bye-bye.
i will keep that in mind. wow this is going to suck. well hopefully it is till im 18 cuz that would be the end of may