E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
barcus

My Ride: '06 M3 CONV
new m3 and already some scratches :(

I cleaned my car yesterday...

I noticed the the paint has some surface scratches nothing deap. The scratches only show when you have certain light and look a certain way..

the car is brand new I did wipe the car down with a 100% cotton towel and I think the towel scratched the car...should I just buff the car? Will buffing hurt the paint of the car. The car was made in 1-2006

If anyone knows of any tricks so I dont have to buff please let me know

CARBON BLACK..

Thanks
barcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcus
I cleaned my car yesterday...

I noticed the the paint has some surface scratches nothing deap. The scratches only show when you have certain light and look a certain way..

the car is brand new I did wipe the car down with a 100% cotton towel and I think the towel scratched the car...should I just buff the car? Will buffing hurt the paint of the car. The car was made in 1-2006

If anyone knows of any tricks so I dont have to buff please let me know

CARBON BLACK..

Thanks
Polishing with the Porter Cable 7424 Orbital is the preferred method however if you don't have one or you don't want to invest in one just yet, a hand polishing may suffice for now. I would recommend polishing with Menzerna Final Polish or Poorboy's SSR1. Apply by hand with a microfiber applicator and remove with a Elite Microfiber. I would stay away from Cotton towels on the paint. Cotton is great for interior cleaning but stick to microfibers for delicate surfaces.

If you are interested I can put together a package for you. Don't forget about the 15% coupon "E46Fantc".

If you you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Brett @ OCD
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
acitydweller

My Ride: e46 M3
its not the towel that scratches but rather the debris you drag underneath the towel. you should never dry wipe your car's finish. always rinse first...

Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
barcus

My Ride: '06 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller
its not the towel that scratches but rather the debris you drag underneath the towel. you should never dry wipe your car's finish. always rinse first...

I did wash the car at the car wash by hand...rinse..soap..rinse park the car let the water drip off for a couple min and then wash the windows first with the towel and then dry the rest of the car...
barcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Most swirls and fine scratches are added in the washing process because even being very careful you can cause damage. I would highly recommend trying a Sheepskin Wash Mitt. This is probably one of the safest tools availble to wash painted surfaces. It breaks up contamination relatively safely and most importantly releases the contaminates well when dipped in water.
Make sure any towel you use in the drying process is very clean as well. I use the microfiber waffle weave drying towels and never dry areas that haven't been thoroughly cleaned.

Since the paint is so new you probably don't really want to use abrasive polishes right away. While the scratches or swirls are fine and maybe not numerous I don't think a fine polish will remove them.The depth of the scratch is what it is regardless of how many there are so typically the combo of SSR 2.5 and then the SSR 1.0 or Intensive Polish and Final Polish will be needed to buff it out. The SSR 1.0 and Final Polish II alone are great products but they typically don't remove scratches. I think you might be better off just filling them for now. I would apply the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze where the kaolin oils help cling to imperfections (fine scratches/swirls). These oils give off a remarkable shimmer that reflect the color of the surrounding paint so the paint looks uniform. After applying this I would seal it in with your favorite sealant or wax.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 04-03-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote