E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #21
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
CR is a joke.
Yeah, unbiased testing is a joke. Anonymous posts on the internet are MUCH more reliable.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #22
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
Circuit Citys warranties on the plasmas run in 3 and 5 year increments... i believe you got the 3 year........

We cover anything that happens to the Tv other than physical damage and acts of god, burn in is considered physical damage BUT i have seen people b!tch a lot and get the Tv replaced.. as far as replacement goes, we really dont like servicing plasmas, most the time when something goes wrong with one we will offer replace it with the same model or a comparable model or let you upgrade... if a button breaks, ya we're going to fix it, but if your tv has plasma lines running across it youll be getting a new tv.. its all in home as well, and the tech will most likely be able to tell you on the spot if its worth fixing.. Id say keep the warranty, ive seen to many customers have problems with their plasmas then get mad at us a year down the road because the only thing we will do is send it to the MANUF.

We do cover all types of powersurges

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-04-2006 at 07:46 PM.
FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #23
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
Yeah, unbiased testing is a joke. Anonymous posts on the internet are MUCH more reliable.
Do some REAL research.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #24
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Do some REAL research.
Believe it or not, before I spent nearly $4000 on a TV I did the REAL research. Every source I could find.

So you are saying that Consumer Reports, one of the most trusted sources of acurate unbiased consumer information, is not a reliable source? Were you also the second gunman on the grassy knoll?

Don't be ridiculous.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #25
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
So you are saying that Consumer Reports, one of the most trusted sources of acurate unbiased consumer information, is not a reliable source? Were you also the second gunman on the grassy knoll?

Don't be ridiculous.

CR is good for your normal every day items. They do alright with cars, but they are too general.

Being that a/v electronics itself is a big hobby, if you want the real info, you'd go to one of numerous forums out there as well as pick up the video and audio mags. They'll go into the small details that CR does not pick up and depending on what kind of consumer you are, it's up to you to decide.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #26
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Thats funny, Panasonic is better than the Pioneer and they rated the Pioneer Elite lower than the standard Pioneer.

CR is a joke.

Would it be because pioneer elite has a bad s-video rating?

you'd be a moron if you bought a $5000 plasma and your main source of video was thru s-video

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #27
oie77

My Ride: wamta
[QUOTE=FloridaE46]Circuit Citys warranties on the plasmas run in 3 and 5 year increments... i believe you got the 3 year........QUOTE]

Acutally you're right. It is a three-year now that i looked at it again. What do you think are the chances of getting a tech to come out to do some kind of professional calibration on this? Could I complain about image quality and or lines and have them come to calibrate it?
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #28
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
CR is good for your normal every day items. They do alright with cars, but they are too general.

Being that a/v electronics itself is a big hobby, if you want the real info, you'd go to one of numerous forums out there as well as pick up the video and audio mags. They'll go into the small details that CR does not pick up and depending on what kind of consumer you are, it's up to you to decide.
One thing I like about CR as a source of information is that they are not emotionally involved with any of the products they test. They approach everything as if it was a ho-hum aplliance. I hate their car reviews because of that but appreciate that they cut through a lot of the BS.

When I bought my TV I looked at every information source I could find. I could afford to buy any TV on the market, but I don't like to waste my money. So if someone is willing to spend 25% more on a Pioneer TV that has a picture that is literally a hair better (if that) for HD programming, and significantly WORSE on standard-def programming, hey, it's a free country.

But to say that CR (which has an video testing facility that would embarass most A/V magazines) is a bad source of information is completely ignorant.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

[QUOTE=oie77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaE46
What do you think are the chances of getting a tech to come out to do some kind of professional calibration on this? Could I complain about image quality and or lines and have them come to calibrate it?
I think they'd come out and look at it, and then tell you there's nothing wrong with it. They certainly won't do an ISF calibration. You should spend $20 on the Avia DVD and adjust it yourself.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #30
TeKNiC3

Quote:
Believe it or not, before I spent nearly $4000 on a TV I did the REAL research. Every source I could find.

Don't be ridiculous.
Let me ask you this, have you ever walk into a retail store and compared the panasonic and the pioneer side by side?

Looked at all the features the the pro-1130 had vs the features of the th-50px500u?

CR is geared towards the average consumer, and if they satisfied you as "reliable" then yes, they've done their job.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #31
TeKNiC3

Quote:
One thing I like about CR as a source of information is that they are not emotionally involved with any of the products they test. They approach everything as if it was a ho-hum aplliance. I hate their car reviews because of that but appreciate that they cut through a lot of the BS.

When I bought my TV I looked at every information source I could find. I could afford to buy any TV on the market, but I don't like to waste my money. So if someone is willing to spend 25% more on a Pioneer TV that has a picture that is literally a hair better (if that) for HD programming, and significantly WORSE on standard-def programming, hey, it's a free country.

But to say that CR (which has an video testing facility that would embarass most A/V magazines) is a bad source of information is completely ignorant.
Since this is a car forum, look at it this way:

Our cars can run 14 second quarter mile pretty easily with some mods, but getting the extra 1-2 second off to make our cars run a 12-13 second quarter mile would require a lot more money. FI, weight reductions, etc that will cost a whole lot more money. That 1-2 second to someone that can careless about a car would mean nothing, but to a car guy, it is big deal.

Same with Pioneer vs Panasonic, the difference is there, it is just down to how much you're willing to spend for the better product.

[QUOTE=slow323ci]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77
I think they'd come out and look at it, and then tell you there's nothing wrong with it. They certainly won't do an ISF calibration. You should spend $20 on the Avia DVD and adjust it yourself.
If you think a AVIA disk will do the same job as a true ISF calibration.....
Old 04-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #32
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

1. I looked at Pioneer and Panasonic side by side. You'd be a fool not to if you were in the market for such a device.

2. If the difference between them was analogous to a 1 second 1/4 mile ET reduction, the difference would be worth it. However, the difference between them is more like 0.001 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

3. Nowhere did I say the Avia DVD is equivalent to an ISF calibration. You can't read, can you Mr. Smarty Pants. The OP asked if CC would do a calibration under warranty. I said he should just get the DVD, since it's obvious he's not looking to spend $300+.

Good grief...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #33
TeKNiC3

Quote:
1. I looked at Pioneer and Panasonic side by side. You'd be a fool not to if you were in the market for such a device.

2. If the difference between them was analogous to a 1 second 1/4 mile ET reduction, the difference would be worth it. However, the difference between them is more like 0.001 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

3. Nowhere did I say the Avia DVD is equivalent to an ISF calibration. You can't read, can you Mr. Smarty Pants. The OP asked if CC would do a calibration under warranty. I said he should just get the DVD, since it's obvious he's not looking to spend $300+.

Good grief...

2. Subjective, I saw a noticable difference, the 1 second ET was just an anology.

3. Nor did I say you said that AVIA = ISF, I just implied that IF you meant that it did, then you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #34
FloridaE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77
Quote:
Circuit Citys warranties on the plasmas run in 3 and 5 year increments... i believe you got the 3 year........

Acutally you're right. It is a three-year now that i looked at it again. What do you think are the chances of getting a tech to come out to do some kind of professional calibration on this? Could I complain about image quality and or lines and have them come to calibrate it?
I dont think they will come out and calibrate it for you, i dont even know if the techs carry the discs on them... better to do it yourself

Old 04-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #35
ptons

My Ride: is dirty
pioneer is better

** Please limit signature size **
ptons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #36
FloridaE46

The Pioneer Elites are better plasmas than the Panasonics.. With that being said, Panasonics plasmas are amazing for the price, BUT, the Pioneers do look better, BUT, the price can be rediculous..
Best plasmas on the market are made by Pioneer, Fujistu, LG, Hitatchi.. i you have ever been to a show and seen their high end models you will not claim the panasonic is the best plasma on the market.
Panasonic makes the best plasma for "the consumer" and its a damn good plasma as well.

Im pretty sure consumer reports rates their products for best all around INCLUDING PRICE... that is why you do not see pioneer towards the top, and that is why you do not see Fujitsu on there at all.
The magazine is called Consumer Reports, not, Best of the Best

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-05-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #37
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Im pretty sure consumer reports rates their products for best all around INCLUDING PRICE...
Price is not a factor in their ratings. If something performs especially well for the price they highlight it as a "best buy" but that doesn't change its overall ranking.

The Panasonic is at the top of their ratings because its HD performance is very good but its standard-def performance is superior (relative to other plasmas). Since 90% of TV programming is still standard def that's a pretty important factor - hate to say it but standard def on the Pioneer (and almost every other plasma) is shitty (and shamefull considering the price). The Panasonic is at least watchable.

Consumer plasmas from LG, Hitachi, Fujitsu look like ass. Sorry, they do. In November 2005 I looked at every 50" plasma on the market that cost less than $6500. Back and forth and back and forth until I thought I was going insane.

But everyone has their own opinions, some people have different preferences for color balance, white level, etc. so even a technically perfect picture may seem off. Use your own eyes and make your own decision, no substitute for that.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #38
FloridaE46

Quote:
Use your own eyes and make your own decision, no substitute for that.

i stare at these things all day long everyday i work

also if you guys want to compare plasmas, large lcds,or large projections.... dont go to best buy, i dunno about you guys but everyone ive gone into is playing a terrible loop that looks like poop... in Circuit City (other places as well) we have all our plasmas, big lcds, and big projections running off of a DirectTV HD reciever, ask and we will switch the channels to any HD or any non-HD.. during football season we have the NFL ticket and ask to see your favorite game in HD to compare ... we also have the MLB ticket, baseball games at night look AMAZING on these TV's

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-06-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #39
flush01

My Ride: 3 3 0
you can get that warranty for free.... when i was buying my tv, you just tell the guy you will buy it right now if he throws in extended warranty for free, he will go to the manager and 80% will say sure... if not you go to a different store... I even got a free stand with free warranty for 5 years
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #40
jstar41

My Ride: TopazE46|MontegoE92
i was about to buy the new Panasonic 50" 60U and i can get it at employee discount but when i asked for the extended warranty... for 2 years was an extra 459. and for 4 yrs was about 700. dollars.. it is ridiculous.. so I'm holding off til I find a better deal..