E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.70 average.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Sales@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
** NEW M52TU/M54 TWIN SCREW from ESS Tuning!

As announced today at Bimmerfest:

ESS Performance Products USA is proud to announce our TWIN SCREW supercharger system for the M52TU/M54 engines!

After 3 years of extensive research, development, and tuning, we will soon release the first and only TWIN SCREW (TS) Supercharger system for the BMW M52TU/M54 engines used in the E46 as well as the E39, E53, E60, E83, and E85 chassis.

Utilizing the latest in positive displacement compressor technology, full boost is achieved before 2,000 RPM and maintained to redline at the highest thermal efficiency possible. Combined with our extensive software tuning, this creates huge torque gains throughout the entire RPM band while maintaining stock drivability, emissions, responsiveness, and smoothness at all speeds and loads.

The systems include an ESS-spec Lysholm Technologies™ self-lubricating 1.6L Twin Screw compressor unit capable of 18+ psi boost and 470+ hp, custom cast alloy intake manifold with optional integrated ultra-efficient Laminova™ core water intercooler system, high performance CNC butterfly bypass valve, larger flow matched Bosch fuel injectors, all necessary installation hardware, detailed instructions, and full DME software reprogramming through our USA office. The stock air box and filter are retained as they proved to be the best compromise between high airflow, air filtration efficiency, and water ingestion protection. Most aftermarket cold air intakes are fully compatible.

The first two power stages (6 & 8 psi) of ESS TS kits are designed from the ground up as a Do-It-Yourself install with no grinding, cutting, or otherwise permanent modification necessary while keeping a clean OEM appearance under the hood. These systems are even easier to install than centrifugal installations. From Stage 3 on, engine and exhaust modifications are necessary to take full advantage of the system’s capabilities.

Systems are already complete and are currently in 50,000 mile durability testing. They will be available by summer 2006!

ESS Twin Screw kits will then soon follow for M52/S52 engines used in the Z3 2.8/M-Roadster/M-Coupe, E36 323/328/M3 3.2 and E39 528 based on the same Twin Screw technology.

The following images are sneak peeks including the design of the custom intake manifold with Laminova core channels and a torque comparison dyno of the M54B30 3.0 liter engine stock vs 7psi centrifugal vs 7psi Twin Screw:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intak.jpg
Views:	6946
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	174772   Click image for larger version

Name:	ts_vs.jpg
Views:	8096
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	174773  
Sales@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i

this looks like it's gonna be awesome! can't wait to see it. is the development based in Norway? if so i'll have to check it out

any price estimates?

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Mike Benvo
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Dinan E60 ///M5
Send a message via AIM to Mike Benvo
That's going to be amazing... Nothing like a torquey motor. I'll be in touch. Nice talking to you guys today at bimmerfest.
Mike Benvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
This should be sweet. The e36 guys are doing a lot of really nice things with the twin screw so it is nice to see it coming to the e46.

Any idea what the price is going to run?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
hubeldeen

My Ride: M3 convertible
Sweet, I'm very excited !

Any idea about the date of availability in the US market?
hubeldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
fashionman0228

My Ride: Just a BMW
$$$$$$$$

How much...? I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fashionman0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
zulu4

My Ride: Z4
that's just awesome!! you guys have PM.
zulu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
noBenz

My Ride: 04 325 Ci
Send a message via AIM to noBenz
contact them directly at sales@esstuning.com. I'm sure they'll be very happy and excited to talk to you about it
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
thats awesome news for you guys. I have heard awesome things about the E36 twin screw that AA has had out so I could only imagine how is would be on the e46. Great news for e46'ers
Old 04-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
The AA e36 twin screw beat a stock e46 easly..I also think the e36 was a 325, but i could be wrong. I have the video somewhere on my laptop

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Sales@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
The prices have been set but will be revealed closer to actual release. They will be extremely competitive to currently available kits, if not better.
Sales@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i

It was nice seeing you guys at Bfest... I can't wait for all these new products!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
hmm excuse my ignorance but anyone care to explain to me how a "twin screw" system works?
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
itchyNscratchy
Help me Help you!

My Ride: Undrpwr&Ovrweight2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin
hmm excuse my ignorance but anyone care to explain to me how a "twin screw" system works?
http://www.coloradocobras.com/whippl...rchargers.html

List of mods:
BONE STOCK
itchyNscratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #15
redronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyNscratchy
^ thats interesting information but doesnt really explain the mechanics of it

i found this link that may be helpful to those who, like me, have never heard of a positive air displacement charger

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger4.htm
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

I am by no means knowledgeable in the FI field, but my understanding of a twin screw is that it bolts on as an intake manifold rather than being a standalone unit that is routed outside of the engine (no more piping going from the blower to the engine... it has VERY good throttle response)
As you can see from the dyno it makes lots of torque and it is also in full boost by 2000rpm.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
from http://www.coloradocobras.com/whippl...rchargers.html :
"A positive displacement compressor is ideal for ... automatic transmissions."

what does this mean?

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
redronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico3k
I am by no means knowledgeable in the FI field, but my understanding of a twin screw is that it bolts on as an intake manifold rather than being a standalone unit that is routed outside of the engine (no more piping going from the blower to the engine... it has VERY good throttle response)
As you can see from the dyno it makes lots of torque and it is also in full boost by 2000rpm.
according to howstuffworks, which is of course by no means a FI expert source, that centrifugal blowers are the most efficient type of supercharger

comments?

also wtf isnt there hp on that dyno??!?!?!?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
interesting

price?

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #20
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin
according to howstuffworks, which is of course by no means a FI expert source, that centrifugal blowers are the most efficient type of supercharger

comments?

also wtf isnt there hp on that dyno??!?!?!?
It obviusly depends on the type of blower, but generally the twin screw blowers have more adiabatic efficiency than centrifugal (70-80% vs. 60-78%).