E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
ImolaZHPDom

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
OFFICIAL I want LED Tails on my E46 Sedan and CAN'T wait anylonger!

There have been plenty of threads discussing the LEDs that the vendors have been trying to bring to market for a year now. This thread is to discuss the options available to those of us who just can't wait any longer and would like to or have already bought euro spec versions elsewhere.

There are several options/possible issues to consider. I am by no means an expert but this is what I have found:
  1. There are two versions. One is Red/Clear/Red and the other is Clear/Red. The first one uses a bulb for the turn signal where the second one is all LED.
  2. There is no good solution for a nicely matching trunk light for the Red/Clear models. The trunk light avaialble lacks the red "trim" that helps tie the light on the trunk together with the actual taillight.
  3. I believe that both models are available in a facelift and prefacelift edition (7 plug vs 6 plug).
  4. Fitment shoud be good but a resistor is needed to "trick" the dash warning lights so they don't say you have a bulb out. Most of the vendors on ebay seem to sell this resistor along with the lights.
  5. I have been told that some people need to have their LCM updated with a setting to allow LED's. I didn't have to do this so I don't know what is involved exactly.

I chose the clear/red ones which are made by eagle eyes. I recently installed mine and you can find pictures and comments here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354934

Fellow Fanatic Thesethoughtsr4u came up with an innovative way to deal with the non-matching trunk light. He had a body shop paint his. See a picture here. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=20

Finally here are some helpful links to those wishing to buy:
A possible vendor of the euro version of the Eagle Eyes
http://www.elitemotorcars.com/autopa...140&parent=129

Here is the vendor I bought from (through ebay) Highly recommended:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...Zautohobbyasia

Join in the discussion with quesitons or comments. I'd also like for anyone who has purchased either version of these to chime in and tell us your experience!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
ImolaZHPDom

Bump! Come on guys, I know someone has some thoughs/comments/rants/etc!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
werd! most people have gone the other route.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
thesethoughtsru

My Ride: is a fake CSL
Send a message via AIM to thesethoughtsru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHPDom
There have been plenty of threads discussing the LEDs that the vendors have been trying to bring to market for a year now. This thread is to discuss the options available to those of us who just can't wait any longer and would like to or have already bought euro spec versions elsewhere.

There are several options/possible issues to consider. I am by no means an expert but this is what I have found:
  1. There are two versions. One is Red/Clear/Red and the other is Clear/Red. The first one uses a bulb for the turn signal where the second one is all LED.
  2. There is no good solution for a nicely matching trunk light for the Red/Clear models. The trunk light avaialble lacks the red "trim" that helps tie the light on the trunk together with the actual taillight.
  3. I believe that both models are available in a facelift and prefacelift edition (7 plug vs 6 plug).
  4. Fitment shoud be good but a resistor is needed to "trick" the dash warning lights so they don't say you have a bulb out. Most of the vendors on ebay seem to sell this resistor along with the lights.
  5. I have been told that some people need to have their LCM updated with a setting to allow LED's. I didn't have to do this so I don't know what is involved exactly.

I chose the clear/red ones which are made by eagle eyes. I recently installed mine and you can find pictures and comments here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354934

Fellow Fanatic Thesethoughtsr4u came up with an innovative way to deal with the non-matching trunk light. He had a body shop paint his. See a picture here. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=20

Finally here are some helpful links to those wishing to buy:
A possible vendor of the euro version of the Eagle Eyes
http://www.elitemotorcars.com/autopa...140&parent=129

Here is the vendor I bought from (through ebay) Highly recommended:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...Zautohobbyasia

Join in the discussion with quesitons or comments. I'd also like for anyone who has purchased either version of these to chime in and tell us your experience!
Hahaha, this is probably the one topic i know the most about, i have researched sedan LEDs for sooo long. A couple of things to add to your post. R/w/R are not available for a facelift sedan, only prefacelift. I even tried to retrofit prefaclift plugs on my friends sedan but the voltage was different so the running lights did not work, so basically only prefacelift for r/w/r. Eagle Eyes LEDs w/r LEDs should have the built in resistors and no dash warning. If they do, you can buy 10 ohm resistors from radioshack for 99 cents and stick them in the back of the plugs and problem solved. R/w/R LEDs have NO resistors and will trigger the dash warning. I totally agree with the links above too, the ebay seller you got yours from is the same for me, very reliable. Heres one last PIC of my LEDs a fellow fanatic snapped of my car in the caravan to bimmerfest, i like this pic the best.

Overall i think these are sooo worth it and i am very satisfied, i just couldnt wait for the vendors to come out with them in the US, i am a very impatient person
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta07pz1.jpg
Views:	2646
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	175120  

Silver Grey on Recaros ///M3 - VCSL, CF Grills, SS Race, KW V2, Alcantara Int, Illum Door Sills

Last edited by thesethoughtsru; 04-10-2006 at 08:03 PM.
thesethoughtsru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
ImolaZHPDom

Looks great! Thanks for the corrections and additions. It will definately help those like us that just can't stand to wait for approval for the ones the vendors are going to sell. Heck, by the time they actually get their lights approved the E90 might actually be out of production, Chris Bangel fired, and a new 3er with a decent body style in production again!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
bump for you man.
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
those custom trunk lights are hot

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
I waited for sedan LED's for toooooo long. I finally said fvck it and got OEMs from Bimmian. Oh well they're still nice

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
snewcrash

My Ride: tiag 3er
Send a message via AIM to snewcrash Send a message via MSN to snewcrash Send a message via Yahoo to snewcrash
I'm going to threadjack you and demand kamie style eyelids for facelifted coupes!@ Sorry, that is all, I feel your pain. =)
Old 04-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
some other useful info for you sedan owners is that there is an LED trunklamp coming out for the R/W/R style tail lamps. this should blend or match better.

you can paint your trunk lamps to match pretty closely the coupe mostly red style trunk lamp.

and lastly, I'm not sure any sedan would need to get it's LCM flashed, since no sedans ever came with LEDs and the Adaptive Brake Light outter ring of LEDs would never have been fitted to those models. That is a changeover year model Coupe thing. This is when the outter most ring lights up on ABS activation. Only something like year 2003+ Coupes could activate this for their cars. If your car wasn't made with it, it won't function even with the correct LCM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #11
thesethoughtsru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
those custom trunk lights are hot
thanks man! i appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
some other useful info for you sedan owners is that there is an LED trunklamp coming out for the R/W/R style tail lamps. this should blend or match better.

you can paint your trunk lamps to match pretty closely the coupe mostly red style trunk lamp.

and lastly, I'm not sure any sedan would need to get it's LCM flashed, since no sedans ever came with LEDs and the Adaptive Brake Light outter ring of LEDs would never have been fitted to those models. That is a changeover year model Coupe thing. This is when the outter most ring lights up on ABS activation. Only something like year 2003+ Coupes could activate this for their cars. If your car wasn't made with it, it won't function even with the correct LCM.
yeah the LED trunk lamps will match the r/w/r leds PERFECTLY, but none of the vendors really sell the r/w/r LEDs, as much as i love the LED trunk lamps, it makes me wonder why they made em, its for sure not gonna match the w/r LEDs, but either way they will look sweet.

also, i know we chatted about the LCM thing before, i spoke w/ BMW about coupe and sedan LCMs and they said they use the same exact LCMs. sooooo logically they could be programmed to accept LEDs whether they are sedan or coupe, but i have a feeling something would go wrong, and of course BMW wont refund what they charged to do the reflash. w/r LEDs dont give a failure so im glad thats the case for me, resistors are the way to go.

Silver Grey on Recaros ///M3 - VCSL, CF Grills, SS Race, KW V2, Alcantara Int, Illum Door Sills
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Great thread! I am definitely doing this mod sooner or later, more likely sooner

Expect them from JleviSW in about 2-3 weeks, we had a show sample at Bimmerfest on the table for anyone that dropped by the booth.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
thesethoughtsru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Great thread! I am definitely doing this mod sooner or later, more likely sooner

Expect them from JleviSW in about 2-3 weeks, we had a show sample at Bimmerfest on the table for anyone that dropped by the booth.
i think you guys should find a cheap way to get the custom painted trunk lights made and sell them w/ the sedan LEDs to complete the look.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru
also, i know we chatted about the LCM thing before, i spoke w/ BMW about coupe and sedan LCMs and they said they use the same exact LCMs. sooooo logically they could be programmed to accept LEDs whether they are sedan or coupe, but i have a feeling something would go wrong, and of course BMW wont refund what they charged to do the reflash. w/r LEDs dont give a failure so im glad thats the case for me, resistors are the way to go.
the thing with them being programmed for Coupe LEDs is that there are other things that are specific to coupes and vice versa. you have a trunk lamp that lights and also brake lights that are different from running lights. if you program for a coupe, i think it'll throw a error as things and wiring aren't going to be doing the same thing??
also, i mostly was talking/concerned about the Adaptive Brake Force Display for the outter rings. this is what i don't see working not matter if you got the correct LCM and software. i've read a couple of times in BMW specific magazines that the car had to be wired for this or no go. the only cars that could get a reflash for this were changover models that had them built-into the car but were waiting for TUV and DOT approval. After the approval, BMW would reflash those few cars that hadn't had it activated. all others had it activated from production. so even if i got the correct LCM and reflash for my OEM LEDs on my early coupe, it will not work.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #15
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN

is this 2 - 3 weeks for real or "estimated"??
Old 04-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
thesethoughtsru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
the thing with them being programmed for Coupe LEDs is that there are other things that are specific to coupes and vice versa. you have a trunk lamp that lights and also brake lights that are different from running lights. if you program for a coupe, i think it'll throw a error as things and wiring aren't going to be doing the same thing??
also, i mostly was talking/concerned about the Adaptive Brake Force Display for the outter rings. this is what i don't see working not matter if you got the correct LCM and software. i've read a couple of times in BMW specific magazines that the car had to be wired for this or no go. the only cars that could get a reflash for this were changover models that had them built-into the car but were waiting for TUV and DOT approval. After the approval, BMW would reflash those few cars that hadn't had it activated. all others had it activated from production. so even if i got the correct LCM and reflash for my OEM LEDs on my early coupe, it will not work.
gotcha, thanks for the info anyhow, yeah the adaptive breaking i definately dont see happening, but i dont really mind it.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #17
Alex-998

My Ride: E46 320i 2,2l
Short Eagle Eye swf-video on a sedan at my userpage
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
ImolaZHPDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-998
Short Eagle Eye swf-video on a sedan at my userpage
Nice video. I wonder who's ride that is and where they got the trunk lights?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #19
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanlfe
is this 2 - 3 weeks for real or "estimated"??
It's a pretty accurate estimate
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
thesethoughtsru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHPDom
Nice video. I wonder who's ride that is and where they got the trunk lights?
the trunk lights in the video? those are just prefacelift trunk lights arent they?